PSA about MMR

SpaceCoconut
SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

Posting screenshots showing the ranks of the players in your match is meaningless.

Ranks as you know them are no longer used in matchmaking and will be replaced with something else in the distant future.

Ignore your ranks if you're talking about MMR and matchmaking.

Put your focus on how the match felt first and foremost. Ideally start worrying if nothing feels different after 10+ matches

Comments

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

I think we need to play for longer. Give it a week or two. Forget about it for now.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

Someone like me can play 1 match today, dont play tomorrow, then play only 2-3 matches and take a break again. Dont expect everyone to quickly catch up with you. It will be a mess for weeks. One of my friends in steam show up only on Fridays or Sunday. For that guy it may take a month or two, if he wont play dbd every week. :D

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

Then they should have enabled tracking MM in the background and not release this broken #########. I would love to play DBD but I don't want to face new players for sake of raising my MM that I don't even know to raise because devs won't tell us. We just have to trust them that it works or will work or whatever excuse they have for matching my with 4 new players multiple times in a row.

I want the old ranks back, they at least gave me decent matches and not slaughterfest of new players. Enable tracking in the background and don't release it until it has everyone ranked at appropriate level. That's what a smart person would do thou so ofc that's not what devs did. Or if they did then something is horribly broken to force seasoned players vs new players.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Well said. Ranks mean nothing, especially during the first 10-20 matches when mmrs are still settling.

• greekfire774
    greekfire774 Member Posts: 170
    edited August 2020

Almo never said that. Almo specifically said it would take about 10 games to work itself out and place you properly. Y'all just need to accept the fact there is no mmr system and the curtain is being pulled over your eyes. If there was an mmr there would have been a comprehensive update to implement it considering how massive of a change that is. No update, no mmr. Pretty simple.

• Timmylaw
    Timmylaw Member Posts: 227

They also stated in today's post that it's been enabled in select areas for a while now. We've all already had the update for mmr but it's just now being switched on.

• greekfire774
    greekfire774 Member Posts: 170

@Timmylaw I read every single patch note thoroughly. Do you really believe they could update their entire matchmaking system and mechanics on a backend update that nobody even notices? There would have been a long period where dead by daylight was offline for server maitenence and that hasn't happened either nor an update. I don't believe their blanket statements and you'd do best to try and not get your hopes up from behavior. You'll be disappointed way less

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

Wasn't there a server maintenance that happened recently? It was the first time I'd ever seen that in DbD... is it possible that's when the system was introduced?

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903
    edited August 2020

MMR has been running in the background. period. only reason your mmr is low to a killer is because you just started playing that killer, or against that killer at all. and @Almo said it's been in the background just not the "decisive" thing for match making.

SWF should match off their highest MMR not their lowest.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367

Except some of the ranks due matter. I've faced Rank 13 Killers as a Rank 6 Survivor who played horribly and didn't even hook a survivor once. Same thing as a Killer, I've been getting extremely weak survivors.

• hahadrillgobrrr
    hahadrillgobrrr Member Posts: 953

I get ranks 16+ when I play my main killer. I'm rank 4 currently. I tried Wraith which I never play. 3 times in a row ranks 1-4. Like shouldn't it be the other way around? And I have played a lot more than 10 matches.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772
  • Aldofer
    Aldofer Member Posts: 458

you have 0 mmr the first game will be gg ez most of time, but after you get the mmr you will not see this anymore

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 955

Wish I can share the clips I have in these forums on how weird my game plays have been. It's not even about the ranks. Its oddities I've encountered all day today. Makes me laugh. I'm not even overwhelmed if I lose a match 🥴

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

That was about 20 min ago, been playing for around 4 hours today, either I'm not getting mmr points or whatever they are called or I will keep getting ranks like these, so far only 1 red rank survivor I've encountered and most of my matches are either 1 pip or 2 pips (abusing the system for the adepts again)

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Swap one of them with a rank 5 for me, and that's how all my survivor matches have gone.

Coconut, I get what you're saying, but having to slog through 10 bloodbaths is not great. "Skill" on the survivor's side is more than just chases, it's a team effort. Say what you will about my "skill" in this regard, but I feed off the energy of my team. If they suck, then I won't do much. If they're good, then I'll do well too. It's just how it happens.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

This just feels like a nice cover for opening matchmaking to create quicker games. It can always be reasoned “well you went against a rank 20 killer, so the system graded you harder.” mmmm hmmmm 🧐

• Han
    Han Member Posts: 196

And this is where you are wrong. A rank 1 plays much more than a rank 20, therefore a rank 1 is on average still much better than a rank 20.

• Thatgurl_again
    Thatgurl_again Member Posts: 287

Bro I dont play until later tonight but yeesh this is what I look forward to

• Techn0
    Techn0 Member Posts: 405
    edited August 2020

I ONLY play clown at rank 1. I've not played another killer in 3 months and I give about 20 hours to dbd a week. I have gotten nothing but rank 20 survivors today, I've played about 20 matches today give or take. This MMR is not functioning, I'd like to have a game that isn't just a stomp in my favor. This is boring, and I should not have to have a copy paste apologizing to the new players I happen to get matched with for end game chat.

• mentalpopcorn
    mentalpopcorn Member Posts: 181

This is the only game I've seen where rank and MMR are entirely separate. Imagine queuing for ranked in league and you could get a challenger on the same team as a bronze because MMR isn't kept in check by rank

• MeatBycicle
    MeatBycicle Member Posts: 756

I'm consistently a rank 1 and 2 killer and I have yet to go against brown rank survivors. I only get red and purple survivors. However as a red rank survivor I'm constantly getting brown rank killers.

• korean_zombie
    korean_zombie Member Posts: 442

I’ve gotten a mostly high ranked survivors in my killer matches. I’m rank 14 atm after a long layoff. Some of those survivors were really good in chase. Most survivors were immerse gen jockeys.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I was trying to get some adepts for killers I've literally never played earlier. I was getting paired with legit red rank survivors. Like #########? I'm green ranks with killers I kinda know how to play. So I get solid reds for a killer I've never used?

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

Guys, I think there might be an element we're forgetting: It still has to figure out where to place people of all kinds of ranks who haven't played in a while, and sometimes not at all. Generally I believe MMR systems will pair you up a few times against different tiers of skill, and see how you do in each. Some people, even when new, can hold their own against people you might not expect. Of course, this isn't so common as to be the norm, but I could see the system just pairing folks up and seeing how it goes as it tries to land accurate numbers for everyone.

Not an excuse or anything, I think with a new MMR system there's just always going to be a period of wild games until things settle a bit. I imagine the first day will always be the most chaotic by far, and it's a shame that we're seeing a bunch of rank 20s going against an ebony mori rank 4, so the initial parameters clearly didn't take much into account, but I think it should get a lot better real soon.

• badaB00M3R
    badaB00M3R Member Posts: 80

31 matches before I had one that felt close to balanced. Every one was red except me. I'm still green. Ranks don't have to matter but this was literally the first game where people worked together and acted like they had a clue... 31 games. Now that I actually won one, I'll update and let you know if it takes 31 games to happen again.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

I'm about to play my first game after the MMR going live. I don't think i'll play 10 games tnite though, but i'll try to.

I'm pretty tipsy so i'm going to make mistakes, but i'm not gonna hold back like i have been to see if i can find my place in the new match making...

• badaB00M3R
    edited August 2020

Honestly, drinking is about the only thing that saved my night. Once I hit tipsy, MMR became funny. This is not meaningless. I DGAF what they say... match 32:

We were destroyed. Edit: and yes, I had perks. Just another bug that they didn't show up.

Edit 2: I think 30 was the magic number because match 33 was better. We stomped the killer, but I was matched with experienced players again.

Edit 3: You're right. It doesn't matter

This one was hilarious. So I was hooked and the other three were slugged within the first 60 seconds. Then, one DCed and I died on hook. Then Bubba let someone wiggle free and heal the other person. Then Bubba complained about the one guy DCing. LOL At least I found a way to make it fun. Sadly, I can't get drunk every time I play.

Post edited by badaB00M3R on
  • badaB00M3R

I must admit, the description of this match made me laugh out loud... literally. The alcohol helped, but thanks for the anecdote.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon

2 games in, finally got my first hate chat on pc 😂😂😂

• badaB00M3R
    edited August 2020

Sadly, it's not your fault. I empathized with our killers much of the time. They aren't having fun either.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon

lmfao the SALT is real, i'm not even face capming of 4 survivors slugging😂😂😂😂😂