The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

PSA about MMR

Comments

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,917
    edited August 2020

If Rank was meaningless, Then why they keep it in-game?

1. They don't show MMR rating. We have no indication of how well we do.
    2. They show old Ranks still.

Just remove it and re-enable the reworked version if It don't mean anything.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

I just want to remind you what you said a few days back...

• AVoiceOfReason
    AVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,723

Give it a week.

• ObscurityDragon
    ObscurityDragon Member Posts: 710

Cause of you never play wraith the 10 first game will be with some good and bad players to figure out your MMr and then get the right match making once its done, if you never play a killer its normal to be beaten, but the game doesnt know yet what your skill level is

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
  • DecemberMan
    DecemberMan Member Posts: 30

If they were brown or yellow ranks, ok, but greens should have known better. Matching purples and greens is not bad at all.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

....I haven't even played yet and all of these threads are worrying. Whoo boy.

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,162
    edited August 2020

I am a 3k hrs player with about 2k hrs on Survivor and I play almost every day, so I have decent experience everywhere. My first 3 survivor matches were against newer or inexperienced killers, but then it quickly evened out on a enjoyable level. Still a bit weak opponents or mates but this is maybe due to the last couple of days where I only faced moris, tunneling and camping and depipped almost every match. :(

I tried some killers I rarely play and I am satisfied with the outcome so far.

Although I felt bad for those 5hrs survivors who had to play against me as nurse who is just bad at blinking and players her rarely (I got destroyed on red ranks) but basically understands how she works. But after 2 matches where I demolished "rank 20s" I got one or two guys who knew counterplay to Nurse and were a little bit of a challenge. So it scaled pretty quick.

The same was for spirit. I just got destroyed at high ranks before. Now I could actually try the adept achievements on rarely played killers again without getting rushed and bullied by experienced Survivors. I still felt a bit bad for the newbies without iron will or DS or similar, when I did adept Spirit, but I only played one match.

Even on Huntress which I played more lately for the archives, I got a OK match on a bad map.

I did not test it on my main yet. But I think I will get more experienced players when I play Freddy.

• Orion

And like Almo said, Mandy was talking about from the start of its calculations (meaning when it was first enabled in the background).

• Orion

That's a different issue altogether and unrelated to the topic of our conversation.

• badaB00M3R
    badaB00M3R Member Posts: 80

I'm starting to think it's only bad for the first 40 games or so. For me, it was 30 before there was a difference. By the mid-30s it was win some/lose some. By game 40, which was my last, it honestly felt like like they made no change at all. The only difference for me at this point is the queues for survivor at night (CST USA) were quicker.

I'm only curious now to see how quick I'll queue as killer during the day (which is historically 10-15 minutes for me).

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

I'm sorry but MMR isn't working if I'm getting 2 rank 20s with only 1/2 perks.

I'm not saying my MMR should be extremely high but it's definitely not that low.

• WARW0LF
    WARW0LF Member Posts: 200

please, stop matching me with green rank immersed megheads who are terrified to even move, i'm a red rank surv, but this mmr is pairing me with complete babies, whatever they said about, the system having some prior data or whatever, is completely false, i believe they started everyone at default

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

30 is like a single play session for me, so I guess I'll give it a few days before I judge it. Sort of taking a break though until they fix the aura thingy.

• badaB00M3R
    badaB00M3R Member Posts: 80

I thought not being able to see the red auras or traps was working as intended. LOL I may never play Trapper again.

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225
    edited August 2020

Because it's a killing festival. If it were an escape festival there would be hordes of killers crying for an inmediate fix

• Orion

From what I've read, survivors are being put against newbie killers.

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225

So when a new killer appear we'll see rank 1 killer against rank 20 survs?

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,162

I also noticed that queuetimes were also almost instant on both sides.

• Orion

Sure, why not? Rank isn't relevant for matchmaking any more, so you'd see that regardless.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

i've got killer matches with full rank 1 squads and matches with 3 grey ranks. Seems like it tries to find out where i belong. Hope that it doesn't take that long, because neither matches are really fun for me...

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

It's funny that you mention this. My friend tried to get adept killer achievements at red ranks the last couple of days (unsuccessfully).

Now with the new MMR he got matched against brown ranks all the time and was able to easily get several achievements yesterday.

• Halun
    Halun Member Posts: 177

I'm not trying to sound pithy, but have you played other ranked games? You might've played all your qualifying matches, but the people you're up against might not have...

I mean I've played lots of early season games of ranked games (like Overwatch, etc.) where despite playing my qualifying games and getting plopped into my rank, I'll see other unranked players who are clearly still in the midst of their qualifier on my team (or the opposing team). It's not that unusual. I mean yeah, it sucks because sometimes you end up with potato teammates that drag you down, but other-times you get god-tier players who assist you.

New seasons always suck at first. And that's essentially what we're experiencing here. The difference is that this is an asymmetric game, so the effects are slightly different.

I really think the biggest issue is that we don't have any actual data telling us what our MMR ratings are, or how match performance affects it. There's zero transparency and that worries me more. I can deal with crappy matches for a little while if I know it'll improve. But I don't like being in the dark about it. They need to just delete ranks entirely if they aren't going to introduce an MMR rating.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

I guess we all just have to wait a week or so until everyone does their placement matches then. It's just not fun at all that we have to stomp new players for it to start working properly. And it's not fair for new players to have to go against players who are more experienced but I hope eventually it ends up being worth it and starts working. Also yes having MMR hidden feels so wrong. It almost makes me think they did that so we have no way of knowing if it's actually working as intended or not and if it's not so they won't have to deal with it. I don't like saying that but I don't know, having it hidden is not right at all.

• rglarson13
    rglarson13 Member Posts: 204

It's not really true that rank is meaningless.

Sure, it's not a great representation of skill level, but it IS representative of time playing and understanding of what your job is in your role.

I played survivor last night, depipped consistently from rank 3 to 5, routinely getting paired up with survivors rank 18-20, against red ranked killers.

Regardless of how accurately (or inaccurately) ranks reflect skill, I think we can all agree that rank 1 killers are going to beat rank 18 survivors every time.

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375

I got a full Lobby of Rank 1-3 Surivivors as Rank 18 Killer. I gotta check if I saved a screenshot though!

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I got a couple of them knocked out. But others I just couldn't get done. I've played a fair amount of Doc. But I just can't get the double pip.

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420
    edited August 2020

Except there is mountains of evidence it’s not working at all right now. How long until you all passively admit this with a server update to “patch” a “few” calculations?

It’s unfortunate that all meaningful numbers are hidden from the players. Just show the MMR. Continuing to play this game where vital stats are hidden just doesn’t look good

• Dsalter
    Dsalter Member Posts: 239

C&P'd from another post but felt relivent here

just had a match, rank 19, 18, 12 (me), 1 survivors vs rank 2 p3 ghost.

game ended in 3 minutes he had downed 2 people in a matter of seconds of the match starting, BBQ holds his hand and found me, decided to just suicide, last guy ran him around for about a minute and a half before inevitably dying.

next game survivors rank 18,13,12(me), 3 vs rank 1 p3 slinger.

game lasted just over 5 minutes where he quickly tunneled down 2 kills, toyed with me as his 3rd, last guy gets immediately gunned down due to BBQ and Iron maiden.

now if "ranks" dont mean anything, they sure as hell look it because the highest ranks are the ones surviving longest and killing efficiently and swiftly.

edit: another game, survivors 4,4, 6, 13(me... yes im deranking now its that bad) vs rank 2 p2 PH, guy swiftly stomps the rank 6 because you cant outrun a good PH even with windows its a lose lose situation and one of the 4's DC's immediately knowing its PH, so i just go and die to end it faster because 2 people aint doing 5 gens.

""""good job so far""""

again if ranks has nothing to do with it it sure bloody looks like it because the higher ranks are crushing the lower ranks.

edit: the sequal : match 3 , survivors are 20,18,13(me) and 5 vs rank 1 clown with an elephent costume head and bloodied clothes but no doubt has p3 as well who had surge, nurse's, BBQ and STBFL, proceeded to stomp 2 survivors into the hook stage within the first minute or so, rescue one, he runs and gets tunneled a few seconds later, rage quits, guy on hook still just suicides, i stop playing and let go of the controls. guy knows i'v stopped caring and sits spamming bottles at me, other guy comes to "help" and he immediately proceeds to down me then hook me when the guy tries to heal me for points, clown was clearly in this to be a bully, i suicide, this angers clown he proceeds to try bully last guy but he to gives up and idles.

"fair matchmaking."

again and again if ranks are no longer an indicator of how good someone is theres clearly been some sort of mis-con-bloody-ception since the top rank killers are mopping the floor with all the new easier targets while lesser rank killers are struggling due to the sheer skill of survivors that are usually also high ranked.

• C_Frank
    C_Frank Member Posts: 179

I agree that the biggest problem is that the system is not transparent. I've already played over 10 games. It seems that now I only play with players of my level, but it is an assumption. The last 10 days I was actively playing as a survivor and with this new system at first I match with any player. If the mmr was running behind, last week it didn't count. It is not clear what they consider to be a good skill. I know it is difficult to measure it. What if I can say now that the games I've had have been worse overall, or the killer was very bad or the team was. If you can clarify what you consider and how you measure the ability to stay and wait for feedback it would be good. Now the game for survivors lining up alone is a nightmare.

• Ferixstar
    Ferixstar Member Posts: 48

For me, it’s been very obvious that the players I play against have been affected by the previous game’s outcome:

Killer: Last night I played as The Clown, which I rarely do well as, and the survivors I went against had maybe one perk and were obviously new. I did very well against them. After about 2 games like that (still as The Clown), I noticed that the survivors I was going against started getting better and having better perks.

Survivor: As a formerly red rank survivor (since rank doesn’t matter anymore) my first few survivor games were against baby killers. One perk (if any at all) and very obviously new to the game. After a few games like that, I started going against killers who had P3 skins and who very obviously knew how to play that killer.

So, to me, it seems as if the matchmaking is working much better than it was. Like others have said, it looks like it just takes a few matches to get it figured out.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

You didnt know she was 13 using slippery meat until after you let her die on first hook to take hatch.

I'd say you're getting paired with those you should be.

• C_Frank

I played 3 more games. In one we were all red rank including the killer, in the other 2 a mix. The last one is an example 2 red rank and 2 rank 18 against killer rank 2. And a rank 18 who died with 5k of point complains and is understandable. The old system had its flaws, but the rank and time played say something about the player's skill. Now it's worse.

• C_Frank

If the mmr was working before and now they activated it, it's bullshit. If you don't have a reference and mix everyone with everyone, that's a bad idea and that's what we see. Last game killer rank 20 vs rank 2 -5 - 18 - 20. They should have taken a month with the system running and made a test, this went into production without being checked. You cannot mix people with 2 hours of play with people over 1000hrs +

• MikaKim
    MikaKim Member Posts: 334

Honestly this statement feels closer to the truth of what we've been observing.

Just because the devs tell people its some finely tuned mmr system doesn't mean that's what they're actually doing.

If we were being brutally honest the fact that they have to create the current monstrosity of an mmr looks at best like a social experiment, at worse a bunch of people put something together that they're not sure what its doing.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

I did not play killer last night but in my survivor games at red rank on ps4 every killer was red with the exception of 1 purple rank 5 killer. My teammates were mostly red with a few purple and a couple rainbow ranks that were obviously swf, Matchmaking felt more consistent than usual.

• vector
    vector Member Posts: 227

Guess there would be less questions and concerns if people could see their mmr. Now they dont know whether system works bad or they have low mmr.

• goatslinger
    goatslinger Member Posts: 522

I'll give it another couple of games but at this point i'm ready to quit. I've been rank 1 survivor and killer for 3 years now. These games are so incredibly boring I can't even stand to play anymore. Killers who obviously just started playing. Survivors who are horrendous. It's not fun in the least and I played probably 10 matches last night. I am honestly feeling like my suspicion all along is correct. That there is no secret mmr and they just turned off any sort of match making requirements in order to speed up que times.

• Topid
    Topid Member Posts: 4

The people who would come to a website and post on a forum about this game may have played more than ten games since MMR, but it seems likely the average DBD-er may not have. It seems possible even though we have very well established positions within the MMR system, if 3/4 of the queue does not, we still aren't going to be getting good matches yet. It is also possible of course, that this thing isn't WAD.

It is literally the first day guys. >.<

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

Why do we have to give it time, @Almo said if you’ve been playing recently (and I have ALOT) then they’ve already been collecting data so you’ll be in the correct MMR grouping. I can tell you that is Not true. Just to clarify I have been playing PH most lately to practice him and have routinely been routing teams so I should have High MMR with him at least right? He’s the only killer I’ve played since it started yesterday and yet still I get terrible terrible survivors!!! Like never looking back terrible.

• WheresTheGate
    WheresTheGate Member Posts: 575

As I just said on another post. I played my 10 games to get my baseline MMR. Every single one of them I was going up against killers ranked between 15 and 20. I know those ranks aren't supposed to make a difference. But as a survivor that hovers around rank 10 I escaped every single one of those matches.

After escaping 10 straight matches versus killers that are basically newbs now I'm only getting paired with killers between ranks 1 and 5. My results are the opposite. This is ridiculous. How is the MMR supposed to give any sort of objective rank to me when it only paired me with newbie killers during the 10 game evaluation? It's boring to only play against killers that present little challenge to me, but it's also boring to play only against killers for whom I present no challenge.

I'm really hoping something changes. I don't need to be playing against killers between ranks 15 and 20 every game any more than I need to be playing against rank 1 to 5 killers every game. Yet about 18 games after the MMR started I haven't seen a single killer between ranks 6 and 14.

• CaenumPlays_
    CaenumPlays_ Member Posts: 45

I’ve given up after 3000 hours. It’s a shame I bought this Rift as I have zero interest in continuing to play.

I played as Survivor for 5 hours yesterday after the update so figured my MMR would have updated to what it should be ok, I play solo and am always rank 1.

Well today proves the system is garbage. I’m getting teammates between rank 10-15 constantly and after another 2 hours of playing i’m done. Solo is horrendous as it is but going against a rank 5 Killer who clearly knows what they are doing whilst teammates just crouch in corners and self care all game is awful.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited August 2020

As someone who likes to use logic and data to help form an opinion...

If MMR has been running for weeks to gather and calculate this new hidden rank system, why is a 10 game requirement for things to balance out? Assuming we do need 10 games,.... I have obviously passed the 10 game mark....

Secondly, I played more than 10 games yesterday and it was noobs in every lobby, some with less than 50 hours. These players dont even know what all their perks do. Had multiple huntresses who could not hit me entire match and a Hag who didnt set down a single trap. Had survs who were trying to heal me while PLague infection was climbing to broken,... I was like ######### are these people doing?

Either the data we have been provided is incorrect or the system, is not functioning correctly.