What is going on with Oni's third eye?

Justalittlepeeck
Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101

That moving thing in his mask is creeping me out

Also, am I the only one who thinks that Oni has a lot of similarities with that thing: (Some creepy thing in their forehead, red aura, brutal character etc)

Comments

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,798

Now I want Oni's third eye to be an adorable little face instead.

• sizzeboi
    sizzeboi Member Posts: 7

KING CRIMSON

• Khorzad
    Khorzad Member Posts: 143

Well, onis had shown to be depicted as having third eyes in the japanese mythology, so that can be a reason. However, in the DBD lore, it is something that the Spirit shows in her “Blazing Lineage” as well, and is described as her “birtright”. So in my opinion, the eye is a symbol of the curse that Kazan put in his bloodline with his bloodlust and this eye is something like the mark of the Entity in Kazan and the Yamaoka. My headcanon is that the mask (or the eye if he already had the mask) was given to him when he was taken and it was what initially gave him his supernatural powers.

• MechanicalWolf
    MechanicalWolf Member Posts: 48

Tien

• TerrorUnleashed
    TerrorUnleashed Member Posts: 497

In Japan, it has been highly believed that the Oni is a demon with the power of the "third eye". There's nothing much more to it, besides that Onis can see into the hearts of their enemies, sense the blood of the weak, etc...

It's honestly a little saddening people of the current generation don't know about things as simple as this... as it is when people refer to different beliefs as "mythology"...

But there you go. It's a cultural application.

• Justalittlepeeck
    Justalittlepeeck Member Posts: 1,101
    edited August 2020

People can't know everything, especially if we are talking about mythology of different counties and ESPECIALLY if we are talking about japanese mythology which I personally find pretty complicated and messed up.

Anyway, I'm not asking "why" does he have a third eye, I know that is part of "Oni" character. I was asking why the hell is that obviously wooden thing moving on its own.

• TerrorUnleashed
    TerrorUnleashed Member Posts: 497

It's not "wooden", and it is certainly wrongful to assume different beliefs "mythology" simply on the basis of other more prominent faiths. You SHOULD know that it isn't correct to label different cultures and their faiths as myths. But the purpose of the third eye is to see those things aforementioned, so it moves on its own to see those things...