Dear VPN Killers

Ivaldi
Ivaldi Member Posts: 977

As much as we appreciate you wanting to play with us; you're becoming a massive issue with this game. Yeah on your end things might be fine and dandy, but playing as survivor is virtually impossible against you. Your 3 foot hits are now becoming 3 mile hits and we would appreciate it if you would stick to your own regions. It isn't fair for the rest of us to be inconvenienced just because you're too impatient to wait for queue times.

Comments

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776

They do it on purpose for easy twitch games and nothing can be done about it.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

Yeah cuz a VPN is easily detected, I think that is the entire point of them, you use a VPN to get around certain things on the web and be annonymous so your traffic cant be tracked by your ISP but its like super easy to detect so the ISP can just give you a fine.

Thats why we pay for premium VPN's, yes yes, thats it.

• Ivaldi

They're using it to avoid being region locked so they have faster queue times.

• Joelwino
    Joelwino Member Posts: 550
  • Kycer
    Kycer Member Posts: 337

I never use VPN and yet I occasionally go against eu survivors even though I’m in the asian server.. maybe it’s not their fault?

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

Dedicated server logic: He has green ping

YEAH SURE

• Kwikwitted
    Kwikwitted Member Posts: 641
    edited April 2020

Thank you for saying what I was just about to. The literal whole purpose of a VPN is securing against monitoring of your traffic but also to mask your region, that way if something like a youtube video is blocked in your country you can view it by tricking the site into thinking you're coming from somewhere else.

Though I would differ that it's not always so easy for even an ISP to tell if you're using a VPN cause usually the VPN works by sending your signal to the country you're pretending to be coming from first, then sending it back to whatever site you're trying to visit, so all the ISP sees is you accessing something in the country you're pretending to be coming from, and can't tell that you're then looping back to another place.

Most of this is second hand, I have a cousin who works in IT and network connections, and this is how he explained it to me so if it's wrong just remember in the words of Alex Jones "You see, I'm kinda #########".

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940

You all (excluding Xbox) only connect to the dedicated servers which are located in America. Why isn't BHVR telling us this by the way?

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

When I first switched from PS4 to PC. I got paired with people in Australia and New Zealand. I live in the USA the ping was horrendous. After a few weeks it bumped me to the USA servers. So I do believe some of the VPN killers were like me and just stranded randomly elsewhere at no fault of the players own doing.

• swiftgiraffe808
    swiftgiraffe808 Member Posts: 43

Could a survivor use it and cause the inverse affect? I’ve had matches where my movements become blocky instead of smooth and my hits will miss. It only happened around a couple players and would disappear when I was chasing the others. It took me twice as long as it should’ve to hit him because I had to get within normal hitting distance even with a lunge.

• Chmurkaz
    Chmurkaz Member Posts: 52

Its not only killers, I also meet survivors using VPN, and dear lord it's a pain. You hit them? they start moving in one direction (like having a lag) and sudenly teleport few meters in another or behind a window.

• Ivaldi

True; but killers cause the brunt of the issues as they have a bigger impact on the game. A survivor legitimately cannot run from a VPN killer because you can never determine how close you are to them.

• Cius
    Cius Member Posts: 86

easy solution: remove dedicated servers,the game did not improve at all

• Mak0
    Mak0 Member Posts: 251

And then watch Lagswitching rise again. DCing rise again. Okay instead of asking for them to be removed you should be asking for them to be improved otherwise their fixing one problem and adding other problems back

• Mo4ntus
    Mo4ntus Member Posts: 416

this definitly isnt only a killer problem it sucks going against a laggy team of survivors who teleport to pallets

• simitaktas
    simitaktas Member Posts: 1

youre right to an extent but can phrase it better. A vpn that has a vast server list globally can let gamers choose from a variety of servers to avoid latency etc. I noticed this after i used a free trial for a premium VPN (PureVPN) for league of legends. Instead of connecting from switzerland i connected from germany instead, i had longer queue times but lesser ping

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

I have seen recently a lot of people complaining about VPN, someone cares to explain what is it and what makes it so that hits seem unfair?

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,511
    edited April 2020

I put a post on this for killer priority needing a fix because a doctor was literally ghosthitting me id be walking then suddenly be hit and the killers not even near me.

Heres a video from that post at 2:20 i get unhooked know were the gate is and have dead hard killer swings from a mile away and i go down.

• Kon
    Kon Member Posts: 76

this is why i welcomed that change "as a gamer" for china to ban their people from playing on foreign servers. as a human rights thing its like dafuq. but yeah as a gamer im sick of the chinese ruining my games on NA. going to be seeing alot less farm bots and hackers and might be able to play pubg with people who speak english now

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

I am never 100% sure if someone is sarcastic or not at this forum.

• cheetocultleader
    cheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,259

Lagswitching is already still a thing. I've gotten a few games recently of rubberbanding whenever chases start. I agree though all of this needs to be improved.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984

Not going to lie, this was pretty funny to see. Obviously doc has noodle arms - you unlock this secret power by moriing 1000 blendettes. Once active you can smack survivors from across the map.. as long as they're a blendy

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,511
    edited April 2020

Lol im not really a normal blendette though i don't just hide with urban evasion and do gens i prefer loopin. Cant loop a stand doctor though. Hed za warudo me and bam.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

If they are from china, they are using a VPN to get out because of limitation blocks there. and your solution would show incorrect/false data to the survivors. Nothing will change with that because the survivors will see a green ping for the killer. Here is why: killer (or survivor) connects via VPN say from china (just put one location out there) and they use the VPN to go to Germany or other EU server area. Now they then connect to steam at this point and start the game up. Click play and then Ready. Now they get a lobby and since they are in the same country as the servers they have a Green ping. Please tell me how you will determine if they have a VPN from that data? you will not see the latency of their VPN connection because they are "originating" from that location where the server is.

• SpicyTopRamen
    SpicyTopRamen Member Posts: 68

What about a ping lock? Like, if your ping to the server is over 150-200, then you won't be able to queue unless:

1.) You are connected to your own server.

2.) You troubleshoot why your ping is so high.

I highly doubt that everyone from overseas is doing it intentionally. I've loaded into lobbies with 800+ ping before and the only thing I can think is that the game threw me onto a server that is not near me. Restarting the game fixed it. That being said, VPNs are used constantly in other games, so I'm sure there are people using them on DBD as well.

• Freki

again the only thing that this idea will stop is people from joining with friends that are international. the ones intentionally doing this for advantage generally will use that VPN EVEN if there is no real reason to do so. The VPN will end up making the report of "PING" incorrect. also what will you do for those that get ping spikes (lag spikes) occasionally or have programs on the pc that are there to cause them (yes you can do that)?

• SpicyTopRamen
    SpicyTopRamen Member Posts: 68

I was thinking largely of the killer using a VPN, but you make a good point about SWF. But if the ping differential is too much the person with high ping is going to struggle anyway.

I have a friend from Russia who tried to play with us. His game was lagged to the point that he wasn't able to play anyhow. Just teleported all over. It didn't benefit him, us, or the killer.

• Freki

true in some areas that is true. I regularly play with people from poland, romania, sweeden, england and other countries. but they are fairly stable. I have seen survivors that are vpning in and they are ghosting where the killer sees them in one spot, swings and suddenly they are 10-20 meters away. This idea of "PING" that everyone is looked at is artificially done and not accurate at all the name was used to bring the idea of how sonar works. sonar sends a pulse (ping sends out 4 packets) the pulse reaches the destination and reflects back to the sender and that gives a response of where something is, but if that something is movig it's not very accurate. (the 4 packets return and a time is calculated how long they are returned and that is your "ping" but since your network is ever changing with latency increasing or decreasing one single ping is not accurate.

Though inaccurate it is what we have right now.... wish we could have something more accurate.

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857

how do we even know when the killer is a vpner vs say the killer pool is low af at and the game just conencted us with a killer from russia because there aren't anymore killers in our region?

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

Just had a legion with vpn

weirdest match ever

he kept hitting the air, but towards the end he was able to down every survivor when not even close to them

• Cutiaddu
    Cutiaddu Member Posts: 402

I have a question for everyone, can you use vpn to have better ping? Also error 300 is still a ######### thing and apparently using a VPN is the only solution. Somebody please help me

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557
    edited August 2020

Why single out killers?

VPN users exist on both sides. When I lived in California as killer my morning lobbies were filled with Asian VPN users from China/Korea/Japan etc making it difficult to even hit them.

Ban ALL VPN users, both sides.

• azame
    azame Member Posts: 2,870

Survivors vpning hardly does anything to killer show me a clip of a VPN survivor messing your hits up. I have never seen one but I have seen millions of laggy/vpn killers. Its downright disgusting how the devs cant just compliment server side hits. Taking them this long.

• PodgeNotRodge
    PodgeNotRodge Member Posts: 478

I cant imagine it would be difficult to ban either. Using VPN on certain games, (Destiny) from what I remember is banned as they detect the use of it. So it's not impossible to ban. But to do so involves hiring professionals to do this, hiring professionals means spending money, spending means less profit, less profit means no money, no money means no game, no game means "Ahh stuff it. I'll let them have their way".

• Thomas_Simpleton
    Thomas_Simpleton Member Posts: 15

Not all "VPN killers" are using a vpn. they might just have bad internet or be downloading something

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

I dont see any difference from Completely Normal Freddy Lunges™.

I hope the server hit registration helps with this things.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 968
    edited August 2020

i play with 120 or 150 ms since Dedicated servers arrived

.... but idk if I AM A VPN KILLER? o_O