How to fail at game developing? (Steps Included)

Riquan
Riquan Member Posts: 54
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

Step 1. Setup a company and name it Bohaveour Interactive.

Step 2. Make a unique game called Deed By Waylight.

Step 3. Release patches that tries to fix bugs but creates more and more bugs.

Step 4. Make these bugs to affect the gameplay of your users so the game becomes unplayable (Like Error 111).

Step 5. Hire a bot for customer service which only sends this message: "We are currently looking into your issue and we will get back to you as soon as possible." as a respond to e-mails.

Step 6. While the bugs are active release skins and new content to make money $$$$. Instead of giving information about the bugs try to sell the content.

Step 7. Rely on the users that doesn't experience any bugs.

Step 8. Release more patches so everyone has these bugs.

Step 9. Hire more bots for your customer service. Release more content for $$$$.

Step 10. Watch your playerbase leave the game.

Step 11. Close the company.

Comments

• Riquan

Well. I waited for 1 week for them to solve the bugs that I was experiencing which made the game unplayable for me. Then I quit the game and activated my wow account. I'm %100 sure the fix is on their side not mine. But there are no humans at the customer service. That's the problem. I had 500+ hours into the game. Every loyal player should do it like I did.

• Riquan
    edited August 2020

Instead of wasting money they earned from precious CONTENT and other stuff, they need to hire an employee for customer support first. Once they fix the bugs they will make more money. They are not aware of that. You are not aware of that too. I think you are an alt account of a developer fighting for a lost cause. If not I hope you get Error Code 111 :) Then you will understand.

• ItzPixelYT
    ItzPixelYT Member Posts: 613

Step 5.5. Have only 5 people working on Perks in the game that revolves around perks.

• ItzPixelYT

you not feel like they release stuff totally out of the blue with almost every update and it doesn't even work and causes even more issues...i.e The new Auras...why weren't they tested on the PTB?

• Lazerboy88
    Lazerboy88 Member Posts: 517

Huh almost as if the game isn’t really this bad and some people are over exaggerating it.

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375

Nope, people are just too addicted to let go. Gaming is an addiction for most of us.

You'll also find people telling you that doing coke or smoking is not that bad but we all know it is.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

because they do not play the game. Like ghostface PTB being released basically without a power. This is not a matter of being skilled or knowing balance whatsoever, this is about being incompetent and not testing stuff, because they wanted to release the new mid-chapter along with the new rift and the new skin collection, because that's all they want, new skins and season pass.

• Lazerboy88

That doesn’t really have anything to do with the argument that this game is dying, its not its pretty damn good atm and still improving i think the best is yet to come

• Roobnus
  • Lazerboy88
    edited August 2020

• Roobnus

In that case you should've quoted the OP if you wanted to talk to him ;-)

Maybe the comparision is a bit extreme but in the end we all know that gaming is an addiction that can psychologically (and physically) harm you - even to the point where it actually ruins your life.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

They tested the auras on the ptb. Everyone was too busy throwing a hissy fit about Billy to complain about them so the changes went live and here we are.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Didn't they superbuff ghostface on the PTB after a couple days and then buffed him further upon release? Like they did with Spirit?

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

yes, but the fact that they released him with such an obvious issue EVERYONE who played him noticed it in the first match it's pretty pathetic and insulting. Especially when two streamers got the chance to try out GF before he went live.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985

As long as DbD doesn't have a competitor, people won't "leave" it. Where should they go if they want that asymmetrical itch scratched?

No, BHVR have grown lazy from this lack of competition. No matter what they do, people will keep playing.

• WARW0LF
    WARW0LF Member Posts: 200
  • ItzPixelYT

exactly, Identity V is the only game that comes close to this and it's a mobile game... Last Year and other games just don't cut the mustard.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Failed so hard that every other game that attempts to challenge it literally dies less than a month later.

You can hate certain aspects of the game, company, marketing, etc, but the game is successful, continues to grow, and moris all its competition (you know, people that actually fail at game development).

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 651

I don't really think it's as bad as people make it sound. I am still enjoying playing the game. Sure there are things that rub me the wrong way:

1. The customer service/support is very slow.
    2. The skins are overpriced and are only slowly becoming more expensive with "rare unique skins" like the minotaur Oni. Now if this was a free-to-play game or with free DLCs, that would be another story.
    3. There are dozens of perks that are wiedly regarded as garbage perks, and has been for a very very long time, you never see anyone using them, not even to troll. There is a clear meta perk builds that has not changed for ages because even the new perks that are introduced to the game often are garbage perks as well. Yes, we just got some perks updated with hillbilly and LeatherFace but this is far too slow progress when it comes to perks. There's still a whole bunch of bad perks that are untouched and how long will we have to wait to see those upgraded...
    4. The amount of people DCing is all time high and there is no longer penalty for it. Sure, it has its benefits like not having to feel like a hostage in games where killer fools around, but it also makes way for people to quit early if things don't go perfect for them. Happens a lot.
    5. Cheaters are on a rise and the current report system is total garbage to which I have not heard any improvement or focus from BHVR's part. Would be something to even hear that they are looking into improving the system.

But while there is negative to say, I also want to point out things that I have found great about the game:

1. The new improvements that are on their way like new graphical overhaul of the entire game.
    2. The Licensed DLCs has been just great, especially Pyramid head that also brought a very unique map to the game that feels more alive and exciting than any other map. It's also exciting to know that BHVR is capable to aquire licenses to some very unique IPs like Konami's Silent Hill, so there is much to be excited about when they tease with a new licensed killer. (Please give me Kayako from Grudge <3)
    3. We are getting new skins constantly and some of the new skins have began to look way better than what they used to be in terms of quality (Yes, people see the cosmetics as a bad thing, but it's still new content. It's not the same people developing skins, programming the game, and doing other stuff. The skins would be focused on and made regardless of how many bugs there are in the game).
    4. Yes there are bugs, but these bugs whenever introduced by a patch, they get fixed. Overall, the team is taking good care of the bugs.

• ShrekTheThird69
    ShrekTheThird69 Member Posts: 327

Fall Guys is looking pretty fun

• Riquan

I disagree with your last sentence. If fixing a MAJOR bag which prevents people playing the game is taking more than ONE WEEK there is a problem somewhere.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

This is definitely going to get closed.

• Sunbreaker7

Tell me what bug are you specifically refering to, or do you suggest there are multiple game breaking bugs that have been left ignored by the team?

• D_Orien
    D_Orien Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2020

You forgot not giving refunds. No company should be allowed not to give refunds. If there's ever a system error where unauthorised payment is done for example, you can't get refunded which is ######### greedy.

• Guiltron
    Guiltron Member Posts: 149

Where's the funny

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319

While I was reading this comment, I thought I accidental myself on a forum for raid shadow legends.

• Roobnus
  • SocialDistomancy

and it's not even good advertisement... have you seent he laundry list of requirements they have for the streamers doing ads for them? lmao.

• MongolPSR
    MongolPSR Member Posts: 1,032
    edited August 2020

@C3Tooth Id be down to talk pay if they reveal how much they pay their employees overall (not individual but as a whole minus their CEO's pay) and then also announce how much they pay their ceos and executives.

• SocialDistomancy
    edited August 2020

ha ha ha activision fired hundreds of people so they could give some of the money to just one smug looking soul stealer cfo.

Post edited by SocialDistomancy on
  • Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Tell me, how easy is it to balance a game like this?

Tell me again, how easy is it to fix a bug in a game without producing another game?

Game development is hard, same with fixing the game and keeping the game balanced, this game is an asymmetrical game, making it 10x harder to fix issues and keep the game balanced

• Falkner09
    Falkner09 Member Posts: 373

steps 9 and 10 arent happening.

• Riquan

I experienced several bugs. The bugs are acceptable if they don't affect your gameplay. I'm having Error code:111 since the latest patch. It's been like 7-8 days. I can't play the game. I can't gain any bloodpoints nor ranks. What's the point right? :)

• Sunbreaker7

Is that the one with the network not working? Because if it is, the simple fix for it is reseting your network via windows PC, not by router.

• Riquan

I think It's a server problem. There's a huge topic at Technical Issues discussion section. You can check it out. Hundreds of people are waiting for the fix. I tried every solution possible on my side. Nothing works.

• 90bubbel
    90bubbel Member Posts: 87
  • Pryzm
    Pryzm Member Posts: 393

Wait, you lost me at WoW. Their devs are the kings of not giving a flip about their player base. Yeah, you went from the frying pan into the fire. Nice work.

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505

Actually - the player base is leaving the game.

This is a game that had a projected sale of 200,000 copies, and has sold somewhere between 5 and 10 million. Why? Purely because this game has been carried on the back of content creators. The thing is, even their own Fog Whisperers are bored to death with the game, and feel taken advantage of (ask Ohmwrecker about that), and literally every single one of them has gone on record saying the devs *do not listen to anything they say*. As the content creators leave, the game will dwindle. But more content creators will step up and be drafted into the bogus advertising affiliate program called "fog whisperer" just to be on the same path as people like Puppers and Cahla, who have consistently expressed horrendous boredom with the game.

On top of that, if you look at sites like SteamDB or SteamCharts (PC being the lead, and most popular platform the game is played on), you'll see that while the player base has fluctuated in line with certain game breaking bugs, or DLC releases, it has remained, for the most part, relatively stagnant, and never hitting 100k. I actually don't believe it's ever even hit 80k. This is a tell that people are not only leaving, they are leaving about as fast as they are showing up. People buy the game, realize what it is, and how inaccessible it is to new players, and how much of an investment it is to get into the game now in terms of both money AND time, and just leave. It also goes to show that BHVR takes the community for granted, and more or less insults our intelligence on a constant basis.

This is all even with MASSIVE sales, free weekends, everything.

TL;DR - People are leaving, but people are also joining, and leaving INCREDIBLY fast. As shown by the relatively stagnant player base number since the game was released.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

1 thing that everyone agrees, at least bhvr cares and fixes stuff unlike activision that gives 0 ######### about you or their game.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Where's the part where they bring a poorly optimized version of the game to other platforms and struggle to fix it for years?

• Dwigtht
    Dwigtht Member Posts: 462
    edited August 2020

I think you are complaining too much (to all who complains). New bugs are funny, sometimes annoying, but funny. And when they fix old bugs -- they introduce new bugs. Bugs are essential part of gameplay. Without bugs this game would be boring.

The only thing I could complain about is that bugs are hidden. I would rather read "Known issues" in release notes and then find and enjoy bugs in new release. I would also like to request buffing and nerfing some classic bugs.

Please, buff the flashlight bug (meaning make the beam unpredictable. I don't like flashlights). I would also introduce random short-circuit to the flashlight so that it would randomly stop working or lose all charges at the beginning of the match.

Would be great if flashlight could randomly explode and kill its user.

• Roobnus

As you said, new people come and new people go again but the general playerbase remains the same, which is why the devs don't have to worry. There is no pressure for them, no competition and no matter how low the quality of their updates are, people will continue to play DbD.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

What kind of system error puts your credit card details in the game/Steam/whatever?

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

It was meant to be rhetorical. There's no "system error" that can take your credit card and input the details on your computer. Someone made a purchase with your information and it's not on any company to make sure you don't leave your credit card lying around.