The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The new MMR system :DDDD

2»

Comments

• Stormhaven13
    Stormhaven13 Member Posts: 48

Folks you need to give this more time than 2 days. Yes, it is possible the system isn't working properly, but we do not have the data yet to show that. It's very possible there's any number of things going on, from negative report bias (Which makes sense, as it isn't fun to be in matches like those), to the fact that there are a lot of people playing, and they are all having MMRs that need to settle yet. My personal theory is that with everyone starting at 0, and going up and down from that, there's going to be a lot of people who are very close in MMR and so they aren't getting accurate results yet, and the whole "10 games" thing lowballed it. Give it a little more time to make sure that this keeps happening over the next week.

Also, a Mod has said that while the system WAS running in the background, the data gathered wasn't perfect, and so the system needs more time to get players MMRs correct. This was always going to be a major overhaul, it was not going to be perfect right away. None of this surprises me. If it doesn't get better after about 2 weeks, that's when I'll start to get worried.

• adalesmo
    adalesmo Member Posts: 164

Do we? They said we need roughly 10 games to get a "base". Should a 6,000 hour legacy survivor with over 30 games since MMR was added really wind up in the same lobby as someone with 11.7 hours total in game? Or in another one wind up with someone who is literally playing THEIR FIRST game ever? Because this is definitely happening.

This is the worst I've ever seen matchmaking.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

The excuses will continue in a month, then the line will be "well your MMR is right but everyone else may be just coming back," blah blah blah

• RoMainPuppy
    RoMainPuppy Member Posts: 507

If MMR HAS been calculating in the background (as one dev said) then no one should be getting paired up with newbies (except newbies themselves). Newbies should not have the MMR to go against people with hundreds of hours (even if not on the current killer you're playing) unless they're a smurf playing on a new acct and their skill highly outweighs their "playtime."

2) If MMR is just a blank slate set at 0 right now as another dev said, they still should've INITIALLY gone off of ranks, then based off how they play set them higher or lower as needed on the MMR scale as needed (so say they're a "Rank 1" as of old ranks currently currently, but based off MMR they actually play like an MMR "Rank 7" then the system could pair them with other MMR "Rank 7's" after their primary games, as it is now though it's a totally newbie stomping fest). Either way newbies should never EVER play against people with over 50-100 hours.

Playtime should've been a factor in MMR, it's obvious it's not. Even if you've never played a certain killer before if you've played the game for more than a hundred hours you at least know the basics of PLAYING killer, even if not that specific one, however a genuinely new player won't know that. Hell even if the majority of your playtime has been spent playing SURVIVOR you'd still know more about playing killer than a complete newbie.

• Stormhaven13
    Stormhaven13 Member Posts: 48

Honestly I think that "10 games" shouldn't have been said at all. That sounds to me like the ideal, when the whole system is working, not when the system is getting up and running. I understand there's a lot of frustration with playing with newer players, I get it. If it continues like this it absolutely needs to be resolved. But based on the evidence I've seen, both myself and in the forums, I'm not certain this will continue. I've seen quite a few people say that for them this stops once they've played enough.

I'm sure it will, but they won't be from me. I'm not defending the matchmaking system, I'm just saying to give it some time to see what it's really like before you rail against it. I don't know myself whether its good or bad, just that what's happening now isn't great. But I expected this to happen, so it doesn't surprise me.

What I've seen is its a mix of both. It was calculating in the background, but the data it gathered was imperfect, so more players than they expected were basically a clean slate.

While I understand your point about building in a transitional system, that would have been an enormous amount of coding and testing for something that would have ended up being pointless in a month, and potentially removing that system could have cause numerous problems. This situation sucks, I totally agree with that, and these next few weeks will be pretty bad, especially for new players. But my point is lets wait and see exactly what the situation is after 2 days.

I definitely understand your point about playtime, I just don't know how that would be implemented honestly. I'm a fairly good killer, so even when I'm playing a new killer I absolutely shouldn't be going up against Rank 20s or whatever the new equivalent is. The idea is after 10 games of me being at neutral, it would put me into whatever category I belong in, approximately, and I work up and down from there. We can debate how good the execution of it was, but having very good players go up against new players was inevitable with the new system. The reason its so prevalent right now is ALL players are being treated as new players, so its happening significantly more often than it normally would. Some sort of "wading pool" for new players could be a potential solution, and after your first 100 or so games you can't go back into it so players can't force themselves back in. That is a separate, but important, problem from the majority of complaints about the new system, and probably belongs in a separate section.

• rob_agau
    rob_agau Member Posts: 4

This is likely because transferable skills in the the ranks 1-5 keep you there or allow you to reach it quickly without a large delay. I went months without playing, in one week I'm at rank 5 from 20 on killer.

Likely the higher skill tier will still be represented by the 1-5 ranks once the MMR balances out.

It'll just be the difference between a rank 2-5 and a rank 1 all season.

It'll take time for people in rank 5-10 to de-pip, and ultimately de-pipping regularly means you'll likely not enjoy yourself. Meaning you'll play less, and rank will reset to 15-20 or cease play altogether. This probably explains why you're not seeing the middle ground.

• qwe
    qwe Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2020

xD

• sentinulled
    sentinulled Member Posts: 2

happened to me the other day.

played killer to do some rituals and, as a rank 20, got matched with three rank 2’s in a swf who all continuously flashlight blinded me which rendered me unable to do anything.

no kills. hooks. nothing.

really didn’t have fun at all :(