Would Jack The Ripper Be A Good Addition To DBD

Options

Welcome back to “would ____ be a good addition to DBD”

Today we are asking, Would Jack The Ripper Be A Good Addition To DBD?

reffrence: the serial killer that made impact on history.

Comments

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,511
    Options

He's actually a killer I've been asking for a while. Perfect fit.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,153
    edited August 2020
    Options

Might be a bit "too real" all of the other killers are based on movies/books and such, but jack the ripper was very much real.

On top of that though there are still plenty of horror tropes that haven't been added that are public domain or that they could base a killer off of.

For example they don't have:

A vampire/Dracula

A Werewolf

An extra-terrestrial

Anything Lovecraftian

A technological being (think like a robot, or terminator etc.)

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (or similar variation of it)

Jason

Candyman

etc.

• tempcoma
    tempcoma Member Posts: 28
    Options

Me and my wife have been saying this for two years now. We also would love to see creeper.

• NightmareReborn
    NightmareReborn Member Posts: 810
    Options

I'd prefer they stay away from IRL killers.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416
    Options

We haven't gotten any real life killers, it'd feel kinda weird. Also, jacks whole thing was that no one could catch him and the way he brutalized woman was disgusting, neither of those things translate at all into DBD.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,153
    Options

This, Jekyll and Hyde is public domain as well i believe so it could be done. Power could be something interesting where he has different forms and chugs a potion to transform and do something cool.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited August 2020
    Options

He would certainly have an interesting mori, especially against the female characters. Before anybody flips their lid over it, it doesn't need to be raunchy or even graphic. The camera angle could hide most of it, just remember who the ripper was lol. If he was lame, it would be preferable he didn't exist at all within the game.

I think H.H. Holmes would be more interesting though, mainly because of the accompanying map that could be designed based on his hotel of horrors with it's lovely trapped rooms and dead ends.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    Options

Viilisca Axe Murderer might also be interesting, especially they could be much more liberal with it since iirc his identity still hasn't been confirmed like The Ripper outside of some strong speculation about a potential German (I think he was German, and later returned there with similar types of murders afterwards over there) suspect that I remember reading about. But no confirmed killer tot his day, so they could make something really interesting and use those murders as a basis. Even an explanation for why the killer was never found, heh.

• MongolPSR
    MongolPSR Member Posts: 1,032
    Options

only if modeled after British rapper Dan Bull and he gets to do the chase music for the killer.

• malatruse
    malatruse Member Posts: 783
    Options

Maybe a killer modeled after Jack the Ripper without actually being him? Kinda like billy being based off of Leatherface.

• Seiji212
    Seiji212 Member Posts: 183
    Options

I like the idea but do we really need another stealth killer? He’d definitely end up one.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174
    Options

Or Clown visually designed like John Wayne Gacy.

I think an old timey looking stealthy killer with some kind of limited teleport ability would be cool, see a shadowy figure with a cane and top hat that just disappears and reappears kinda like nurse but less loud and less range.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238
    Options
  • Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options

He's a classical ye olde serial killer. A perfect fit. Since he was never caught or identified, it'd be a perfect play to the whole "taken by the Entity".

• Vox_Nocturne
    Vox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545
    Options

It sounds an interesting concept, but the idea of celebrating a real murderer by including it in a game might be seen as distasteful.

If you're looking for a more fictional murderer during that time period, you could go for Spring-heeled Jack - a fanged, high-pouncing murderer.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

Wouldn't that be disrespectful to the families of the victims of the serial killer?

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

If Identity V can do so, I'm sure DbD can too.

I mean, dear Caleb is a western yehaaw guy in a suit with a hat, so why cant we have a british guy in a suit/cape with a top hat? Additionally, we have MULTIPLE masked knifenuts, so another wouldnt be that farfetched. Also we have fancy dangly cape animations since GF's dangling arm clothes chefkiss. Theres enough Material available to design him. ( Something similiar to "Record of Ragnarok"'s design would fit after some obligatory "dbd entity touch or killer"-alterations)

The problem would be more rooted in the actual Ability of the Killer, not his design or identity.

• H3xB0rr0w3dT1m3
    H3xB0rr0w3dT1m3 Member Posts: 188
    Options

I’d never want them to add ACTUAL killers into the game. If they just made someone that was based/inspired off them then that would be fine but actually bringing in the killer into the game doesn’t sit right with me

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Options

They should never put real life killers in the game. He was a horrible person, and if they add him, they might add Ted Bundy, and I don't want that.

• Hugs4trapdad
    Hugs4trapdad Member Posts: 55
    Options

No, of course not. He was a serial killer who murdered and mutilated women.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,398
    edited August 2020
    Options

I mean we had him in assassins creed syndicate. I've never thought of actual characters but him as the killer then Sherlock holmes as the survivor (there was a book series called jack the ripper vs sherlock holmes) and the 1978 murder by decree movie.

• Raptorrotas
    Options

Most people talk about the myth, not the unindentified murderer.

Arthur conan doyle wroze a book about it, but now a character in a video game is offensive?

Quick someone sue those FGO-creators for loli-ripper-chan

• supersonic853
    Options

Yeah i don't get it jack the ripper became his own entity when they identified who he actually was so we could get the jack the ripper Myth instead of obviously the real life murderer. (His kill count is way better than dbd legion and ghostface anyway so hed fit right in) lol

• Dr_Trauts
    Dr_Trauts Member Posts: 704
    Options

what, and have a prostitute as a survivor for that chapter? i think making it out of real life serial killers is a bit crossing the line as mentioned previously. Instead, and also mentioned previously, Jekyll and Hyde could be done instead and would be a nice edition.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

It's not about it being offensive, but it's glorifying a real life murderer which I don't think is a good fit for this game, some people are absolutely sick in the head and fantasize about being these murderers etc, giving them a tool to play as them is something to avoid imo.

• supersonic853
    Options

I think theyd more go for sherlock holmes as the survivor as these 2 characters clashed in a lot of media. The uncatchable murderer vs the best detective.

• supersonic853
    Options

I Mean arent a lot of horror characters inspired by real life murderers. (Looking at you bubba)

• Dr_Trauts
    Dr_Trauts Member Posts: 704
    edited August 2020
    Options

yeah but thats the difference - "inspired by" - not is the actual guy

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    Options

Ed Gein was supposedly an influence on who Leatherface is, but Leatherface isn't Ed Gein, the mask thing is inspired by him but I don't think those types of people are like - if i play leatherface I'm playing ed gein, because the only thing similar is the face facemask.

• supersonic853
    Options

I thought jack also became more like a character instead of a real person since they obviously found out who he really was. Then jack the ripper (the character) got put into other games and movies like assassins creed syndicate and jack vs sherlock holmes.

• PoisonAsh
    PoisonAsh Member Posts: 60
    Options

I would love it if he is added.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

I think that an original take on Jack the Ripper would be amazing.

Assassins Creed did it just fine. Jack the Ripper is far too old to offend anyone (hopefully). Its not like its like Bundy, Dahmer or Gacy. The Ripper is a mysterious figure, and I think an original twist on the legend would be amazing

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428
    Options

It would still be a glorification on the mutilation that he committed and I just DON'T want that, in any shape, with any actual serial killer. Like I said though, if they just gave the title of Jack The Ripper to a OC they create, I'd be fine. Just please, PLEASE don't give any honor to the actual people who committed such acts.

• supersonic853
    Options

Well Jack was a unknown person (it was even rumored it wasnt just one person) so they could pull a ghostface and give him some bs backstory and name and just call them "the ripper"

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

It worked fine in Assassins Creed because they made damn sure that Jack was irredeemable. If they are careful about painting the Ripper in the worst light possible, I can see how that he could work.

However, an OC simply dubbed "Jack the Ripper" and was merely inspired from the legend would probably the easier method.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

Yeah real life killers would probably cross a line, even historical ones...

However a Victorian/Edwardian era killer in a top hat with a razor would be a great theme. Maybe "the mad hatter" or "the undertaker" or something similar. Like Seamus from Malifaux. The map would be the dark cobblestone streets of old timey London.

Holmes would make an interesting survivor.

• pedroframil
    pedroframil Member Posts: 45
    Options

Come on guys, do you really want to glorify serial killers? There is no way that it can be a good thing.

We have a massive number of interesting characters in pop culture, and a lot of possibility for original characters that would not hurt the memory of REAL WORLD VICTIMS.

• Raptorrotas
    Options

The game has the doctor whose theme and methods is likely inspired by either some crazy chinese doctor or a cia research program that included torture of random hospital patients.

Should he get removed?

• pedroframil
    pedroframil Member Posts: 45
    Options

No, he shouldn't. And neither should Bubba.

But we don't have Ted Bundy, the Butcher of Rostov or the Milwalkee Cannibal on the game because we don't want to glorify them.

When you translate some things or references to games, movies and books, you will have real world references, and it's not a problem. But when you start giving space to despicable people on pop culture, you not only pushes them away from the terrible things they did, but start a fandom revolving over them (or their representation ingame).

• supersonic853
    edited August 2020
    Options

Jack The ripper is the character though since the identified who he actually was. Jack the ripper the character has been in a bunch of media. The multiple movies (including one he faces off against sherlock holmes) he's in assassind creed. There was a scooby doo back in time episode that involved him if i remember correctly. The character jack the ripper (who i don't even know is licensed) they could literally just do what they did was ghostface and name the killer "the ripper" and give him their own backstory. He'd probably be more of a scary character than the legion and clown anyway. You are not glorifying Aaron Kosminski as he wouldn't be the character in this world.

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562
    Options

1. The real jack the ripper has never been identified. Kosminski was just a subject.

2. With all the interesting folklore and horror these still not utilized for killers, why pick a real life killer? That would be lazy and in poor taste.

3. Just because others have done it doesn't make it cool.

• supersonic853
    Options

1. Ah alright.

2. A real life killer seems to be more scarier though since he is one of the most known real life killers that actually never got caught.

3. Understandable but it was never a problem when they did it but i do understand its 2020 so cancel culture and stuff is the norm.

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562
    edited August 2020
    Options

I'm not saying to exclude him because if cancel culture. I'm saying exclude him because there are so many better options.

I personally don't think a real life killer is scarier. People like Jack the Ripper were freaks. Leave them in the history books and explore the vast world's of horror, fantasy, and science fiction instead of taking the cheap tasteless way out of picking real life killers. At that point why not add Bundy or Gacy It doesn't seem to mix with DBD to me

Post edited by EverflowingRiver on
  • MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    Options

There is a difference between a character being inspired by a real life killer, and the real life killer themselves.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

Well I've heard of a documentry once that Jack the Ripper was H.H. Holmes but then again it hasn't been official

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556
    Options

several people were/are expecullated to have been jack the ripper.

but he was never caught.

kinda like the zodiac killer, for a more recent example

• Spectre13
    Spectre13 Member Posts: 179
    Options

Rule numero uno.

Don't dive into anything real life. Hits too close to home and could dig up bad rep with the associated nation.

Would be like if they added Stalin or Hitler to the Civilization games.