Almost every review on Steam, positive or negative, mentions toxicity

Options

My question is, why have the devs done absolutely nothing in 4 years to try and help with it? You don't even have a functioning report system for crying out loud.

Comments

• remoirel
    remoirel Member Posts: 231
    Options

every pvp game has toxicity, humans are #########.

• ZaKzan
    ZaKzan Member Posts: 544
    Options

some games have it more than others. I play lots of pvp games on steam, yet my profile exclusively has about 30 comments on it from DBD players. Toxicity is an environment that is ultimately cultivated by those who design the game. It stems from the fact that the game is horribly balanced and there's no sense of fairness in losing. You don't feel like you've lost fairly, and in many cases you don't feel like you've won fairly as well, which then contributes to an influx of players that get their kicks not from winning or losing, but just from being toxic to other players. DBD is a game where you can be extremely abusive to other people, due to extreme balance issues with the game.

There's no sense of fairness when you're bashing seals in the head with a bat, so logically the pleasure gained from it is a sick twisted sense of dominating something that is weaker than you. This is the feeling this game nurtures.

• Masochistic_Killer
    Masochistic_Killer Member Posts: 413
    Options

But they have, they actively encourage it. This is actually a pretty smart and well used marketing tactic. Red vs Blue, Coke vs Pepsi, Republican vs Democrat, etc. It creates an enemy for the other, an in group and out group, people are hard wired for this #########. It's why even though you can play both sides, and most people do, there are always "If you're an X main ... " posts.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

Reporting someone for toxicity (actual toxicity, not “they teabagged” or “they shook their head”) is a pain in the ass and then when you do report it, they just ignore your report. I have a report that’s been outstanding for a month, it includes video evidence and it’s gone completely ignored.

This is why people feel empowered to be complete #########. There’s no punishment. They can call you horrible slurs, sandbag you, and go out of their way to ruin your experience and get absolutely no consequences for it.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options
  • Veen
    Veen Member Posts: 706
    Options

League is toxic, WoW is toxic, Warframe have twats sometimes, Overwatch have arses, DST have toxic people who burns bases to the ground, Minecraft have toxic people too, Friday the 13th have hackers and underaged squeakers calling you N-word.

The common denominator is the players. And most DbD influencers who promotes toxicity in the game also are responsible for it.

• micha_beck
    micha_beck Member Posts: 78
    Options

Well, first we must establish what is considered toxic.

Let's not forget. The killers job is to kill ppl. It's right there in the name.

People shouldn't take it personally when they are being tunnled. It's maybe the only chance for the killer to get one kill. Of course it means it was a bad match for the killer, if he has to resort to that, but that doesn't make it toxic.

And as for survivor... Well guess what their job is? Surviving. So, if you are good at looping and get the killer mad and trying to get you while others are doing gens, that is of course okay.

Another thing is endgame chat. And I'm glad it's not available on Xbox. There should be an easy way to report ppl who lash out after a match. Just a report button that creates a ticket without any further work for the user.

Everything inside a match cannot be toxic though. It's just the setup of the game that calls for certain behaviors and that is fine.

Just my two Cents on this.

• micha_beck
    micha_beck Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2020
    Options

I have to add something though:

Sometimes you're in a group of survivors and you realize real quick killer is rank 20 (thx to new matchmaking).

Ppl can be real d**ks in that case which could be considered toxic. But the problem here is the matchmaking itself and can be fixed.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951
    Options

To mention some psychology into the game, we are taught (most of us anyway) from a really young age to hate the "bad guy". In other games there isnt a defined "bad guy" Red v Blue, Coke V Pepsi. Neither of these are inherently bad. DBD however, does have a defined "Bad guy" The Killer.

Because of that it enables a lot more toxicity than you might normally see because through the minds of 4 of the people playing in a match, there is a "Bad guy" who is ruining their fun. They can be mean to them all they want and make them suffer because its ok. In return they start to be toxic back.

Of course this could have been fixed early on but instead of that, the devs said that salt and toxicity is part of the game and if you dont like it go play civ. Ill admit, besides forum surfing i basically went back to skyrim.

TL;DR Players started being toxic cause game encourages targetting, devs laughed and said deal with it or leave.