How do you use the Nurse?

Options
tippy2k2
tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,071
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

So with MMR gumming up everything, I figured now was the time to try to figure out The Nurse. I've been playing the game for quite a while now (though I haven't used her since I got the game as it was too frustrating) so I figured maybe with experience, I'd be good...

Nope!

So Nurse Mains, help me out. What are your tips and tricks with this friggin lady? If I try to Blink on top of the survivor, they've moved by the time I get there and she can't lunge worth #########. If I try to predict where the survivor is going, it takes me so long to line it up that they either don't go there or if they do actually go there, I'm blindly swinging because I can't see all that well as she blinks and she stuns herself so quickly that I don't have time to even try to orientate myself...

Also as it does seem to greatly matter, I am on console. Which might just mean the answer will be "She's a lost cause, dump her ass" but I'd rather at least give it a try to make this work :D

Post edited by Mandy on

Comments

• micha_beck
    micha_beck Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2020
    Options

I'm wondering the same. Most nurses suck. And then I play against one who always knows where I'm heading next. I'm assuming they have a pact with the devil and can read my mind. Try that maybe? 🤣

Post edited by Mandy on
  • xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options
    1. The first and best tip i can give you is not to use your first blink to blink directly on top of them but rather 2-3 meters next to them. Use your second blink to get the hit.
    2. If you loose LOS (which is the only defence survivior kinda have against Nurse) blink to the position where you lost LOS. Use your second blink then for the hit.
    3. Practice Practice Practice
  • tippy2k2
    edited August 2020
    Options

A deal with The Devil eh...

That does seem like the best route!

Post edited by Mandy on
  • tippy2k2
    Options

The issue I have with that is that I just am not quick enough on the second blink to find the survivor since she goes into stutter mode in about half a second :D

But like you said, maybe that's just a practice thing. I'll give it a try at the very least!

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Many Nurse players use Shadowborn. Try that one out.

Also, many Nurse players including myself turn the camera down a little bit during the second blink to see the smaller survivor better.

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159
    Options

Sell your soul.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

Turn playing DbD into your fulltime job, and play stupid amounts of Nurse.

Congrats. The game is no longer a game about fun, but you've become skilled in the best killer in the game!

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,073
    Options

Basic theory of operation with Nurse: first blink gets you close, second blink is for correction. A mistake a lot of new Nurse players make is trying to be too accurate. You don't necessarily want to blink right on top of people, because then you have to do crazy stuff with the camera to get hits.

For line of sight breaks: in general, blink to last place you saw them to see if they're doubling back. You can also use process of elimination to determine where you should blink. Look at what you can see and use process of elimination to predict the survivors. Do you see a survivor or scratch marks through a window or going up the other side? If not, blink through the blind area. Stuff like that.

I like to pay attention to where the survivor is looking as it gives me clues about their juking style. If they're looking back at you while you charge a blink, they're highly likely to try doubling back into you at a corner. This goes for open areas too. When a survivor is looking back at you in an open space, they are going to double back into you 90% of the time on the first blink. Charge it 75% of the distance between you and them (it'll feel scary at first because it's obviously short), and you'll often get a single blink hit off the prediction.

You can blink cancel by looking at the ground and releasing the blink. This will change levels though, so be careful. It's extremely useful for mindgames at pallets. It can also get you hits in open areas on survivors who double back at short range.

• micha_beck
    micha_beck Member Posts: 78
    Options

In all seriousness, bless everyone who plays nurse.

We have too many Fuc... Sorry, Ghostface killers and way too many Legions. It's getting boring.

Nurse really forces you to play totally different. "Yeah, drop the pallet b*tch, see if I care".

Nurse can be a really tough opponent and can out so much pressure on you.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

There are great Nurse guides on YouTube. I wouldn’t say I’m a great Nyrse, but I surprisingly got the timing down from watching other players play Nurse. It is like a second nature.

• Xzan
    Xzan Member Posts: 907
    Options

Play a bit with the addon that shows you where you will land with your blinks. If you get a good feeling for it, stop using it. Otherwise you hinder yourself, because you only have space for 1 addon. And get a feeling for the recharge. Not having 2 blinks because you charged 0,1 sec to early feels pretty bad.

Next step is, to enter the mind of the survivor and pay attention to how they run. Survivors who know how to deal with a nurse will use LoS-blocker for example. Bad survivors will run in a straight line where you will get easy hits.

Accept the fact, that you don't have 4 survivors against you, but also dedicated servers, blink deadzones and bugs. And that you will lose a lot, especially on console.

After that, get a lot of "learning experience" so you can become a merciless teleporting killing machine.

• RockoRango
    RockoRango Member Posts: 554
    edited August 2020
    Options

You need to suck before you can be good at Nurse, just due to learning muscle memory. Use Plaid Flannel, use a recharge add-on to let you blink more consistency and learn how survivors move. The best way to learn Nurse quickly and easily, though? Play survivor. Once you learn how survivors think/move, it'll be extremely difficult for them to try to outsmart you unless you genuinely mess up (which is why Nurse takes so much more skill compared to most killers). Here are a few tips that helped me when I started, save the fact I learned her pre-nerf:

Never forget to BLINK, and do it CONSTANTLY. I prefer myself to only use one blink for getting around and let it recharge since the nerf, but never be afraid to blink because of the recharge. The benefit of blinking still far outweighs the 3 second wait for a blink (or shorter, if you prefer using add-ons).

Take advantage of the fact survivors FEAR you; What I mean by that is to use your presence to buy yourself time. countless times have I saved a gen just by floating towards a generator while I'm busy chasing a survivor. And if they don't respect you and stay on a gen? Blink over there while they think you're in a chase, and get a free grab. If you play your cards right, you can PGTW a gen before survivors even realize they've lost a possible gen because they ran away from it.

Make safe moves, but also don't be afraid to be risky. In fact, being risky with your moves can be quite rewarding: In the future, you know what your opponent is likely going to do if you've already tried and failed to catch them in chase. Nurse can be summed up by a game of chess, and you're constantly taking turns between someone you're chasing.

Choose a perk set that covers your weaknesses, rather than the meta. If your weakness is not being able to pressure gens, use a perk deck that can focus on it. If you get nausea from playing Nurse, like most people do, use Shadowborn to get rid of it. If you're crap at tracking once you've been stunned, use tracking perks such as Whispers or I'm All Ears to stay on track. After you've learned Nurse you learn that the perk deck on her can be endless if you use her correctly, even if gens go ridiculously quick.

Something that most survivors AND Nurse players don't know is that you can blink 'backwards', and this is because you have full control of your view during your blinks. You can do this by releasing your right click in the direction you want to blink in, then turing around and look backwards during the blink. This is EXTREMELY effective in finding survivors that are trying to hide from you by using any objects, walls, or foliage, as it's impossible to tell where you're looking while you're blinking, lets you get a hit sometimes without survivors even knowing you're there, and saves you a ton of time compared to just floating around objects.

Also, as you get better and move up the ranks, you'll start to come across people with Dead Hard. Once you learn to delay your blinks after the first Dead Hard, there's not really a difference between a DH survivor and one that lithes into a wall.

Those are some of my tips!

Post edited by Mandy on
  • JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,411
    Options

I have the ol girl an extended tryout long ago, before ded servers, and i am convinced I am no good with her. The good nurses on PC tend to do a flick thingy with the mouse and camera, something that may not be possible with a controller, even with the console sensitivity upgrade a few patches ago.

All the advice listed in this thread is great. Practice seems the best advice, buckets and buckets of practic. When I'm surviving and we get a nurse we are like "Console Nurse boys we're all getting out!" And we do, unless we screw around with her.

• Masochistic_Killer
    Masochistic_Killer Member Posts: 413
    Options

Headphones, absolutely required (I hate them). Stridor, Nurse's Calling, Sloppy Butcher, Infectious Fright. You don't need gen perks you need tracking perks. You also need more patience and practice than a Buddhist monk willing to set themselves on fire to protest. It helps if you hate yourself, are in to CBT, sounding with razor wire, etc. If you thought DBD was buggy before, you ain't seen noth'n yet.

• RockoRango
    RockoRango Member Posts: 554
    Options

The flick is mostly just aim dressing messing up tracking with the mouse. If you look closely at a Nurse hit someone may be looking at a survivor when they go for a lunge, but because of the aim dressing it flicks the mouse in a random direction. This is why people get really confused when a Nurse hits a survivor sometimes, as the Nurse might randomly turn in a different direction when they've already secured the hit and the aim dressing is just so bad that it looks stupid.

Most of my hits consist of hitting people behind me just because the dressing makes me do a 180, and people get pissed when that happens. Buuut, it's not our fault it's bad