New MMR might be the way DBD dies

It is really nice to see that a new MMR was implemented. Might’ve sounded great on paper but in reality, it ruins the new players experience. This new system is off to a rough start. All I see are Rank 20 killers getting bullied by Red Rank survivors or Rank 20 survivors getting wrecked by a Red Rank Killer. If the Devs keep this up, they are going to end up loosing new players. I try my best to do gens and leave or Bring borrowed time and Well make it, to give them a less rough experience and help them out. Please do something about this, Devs.

Comments

• batax90
    batax90 Member Posts: 879

The new mmr will push all kind of player away from the game its so easy right now that it is boring. When i play killer if i dont face a swf i have no challenge because i can have a rank 20 in the game so this basically make the game a 3v1.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

well... the matchmaking and ranking is bad for almost a year now. And the last 2 months have been hitting the 40k average after constantly raising for like 5 months in a row. So, yeah, let's see if the 1000th death sentence spoken on this forum is finally coming true.

A streamer said that MMR should be leveled out after about 10 games. This is apparently not happening and I'm pretty sure that this is somehow broken and devs will look into it. This will not be the matchmaking we get until end of days

• LowSpecGamersMatter
    LowSpecGamersMatter Member Posts: 485

not only New players. IF the MMR system would work perfectly (I hope it never does) its going to kill the veteran survivor popularity because trust me noone enjoys going up against sweaty spirits, freddys etc back to back to back. No matter what, SOMEONE will get the lose end

• Reaver_Raziel
    Reaver_Raziel Member Posts: 400

Yeah I have been giving out second chances like they were cake at my birthday. Making rules for myself like "Not being allowed to hook someone for a second or third stage before everyone is on a second or third stage" Just to maximize the chances people have and to not ruin their experience. Luckily I have started to get enough games in on most of my killers that I almost only get fair matches now. But as someone that plays most/all killers, playing the same killer over and over again just to get the proper mmr for them was kind of a rough experience. I do not enjoy playing the same killer multiple games in a row (for the most part). But besides a few killers that I rarely play (like nurse, doctor and Billy) I have been getting fairly balanced and sometimes even hard matches.

So as long as the rank 20 thing was a weird glitch then I am willing to defend the system based on my own experience. With that said, by god did that experience hurt the game a lot in terms of new player experience. I know some killers and survivorrs gave killers many chances to get something out of their games. But I also know a lot just wrecked their oposition and said ######### em.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

I have tried to give MMR a chance... but my goodness, it is awful. The amount of lobbies I have checked out a survivors profile only for them to have 1-50hrs is ridiculous. I don't want a 2 min game, where I can't get any gens done because the killer has POP all game since the survivors cant last 2 seconds in a chase. Most survivor games are awful at the moment.

I don't have much experience as killer when it comes to the new MMR, but I did play one game which had 2 new players and 2 semi-ok players. Was an easy match.

At the moment, it's looking as if the old MM is better than the new MMR system. And that's saying something right there. But hopefully the devs will get it to work properly as we really do need a good MMR system.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

The mods have already said this afternoon that the devs are working on the issue. No specifics yet.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

I give this game a week before its just another sad little empty lobby simulators in a very soon to be forgotten corner of the internet. And all because of the same old problem, Red ranks /crying to the devs like they always do.

This time to get their hand held so they can have short wait times and easy matches vs brown ranks.

wd.

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562

You make no sense. The issue is the matches are too easy for red rank players and between players right now

• Chico
    Chico Member Posts: 20

The game will die when the devs try to fix the hitbox. The new matchmaking is a trash, imagine with the hitboxes ''fixed''.

• Tricks
    edited August 2020

It's quite simple really for those with even the smallest amount of foresight.

Here, let me break it down for you.

• Red ranks are now allowed to bully Brown ranks. Rank 20 through 17 on an ongoing and consistent basis with all their characters because MMR hasn't worked.
    • This is our NEW PLAYER BASE who have the potential to invest MONEY into our game which the developers need to add new content.
    • Without these revenue streams from potential new players who are now being alienated from unfair matchmaking there will be no new content and no reason for new or existing players to stay around which in turn cuts their revenue streams off too.
    • This means even less content, less matches until you have your empty lobby simulator you've always wanted in a sad little forgotten game in an even sadder, more forgotten corner of the internet.

All because Red ranks wanted short wait times with easy matches so they can bully new plays killing the game in the process by cutting it off at it's foundation.

What part of that do you fail to grasp.

• Bluesage
    Bluesage Member Posts: 11

I'm curious how many people have purchased the game through Steam, and have used the refund option.

I am by no means sympathetic to the killer side of this game as a salty, survivor main, but even I had to check myself after a match, and offer words of encouragement to a new killer. Poor Wraith was brand new, and only had two perks at level one. He ended up chasing a Meg for the whole match, when he did down her, we were able to body block enough to where he dropped her. Needless to say, we all escaped. The poor guy(?) was so upset because this was his second game, and he actually downed someone...and he couldn't even get a hook. I was the lowest ranked in high teens, and the other survivors were all red.

At least with the old system, it felt like there was some fairness in matches like this. Chances are, he would have faced me, and other lower ranked people, and actually was able to get a kill.

• EverflowingRiver

I'll try to use small words for you. You seem to be saying killers want easy boring matches. I'm saying no, killers want fair matches against opponents of equal skills. Put your survivor bias away for a minute to think about it.

The match making isn't due to killers complaining. The previous system was flawed and in an attempt to fix it, it became worse. Nothing to do with one side or the other complaining more

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    edited August 2020

Proposing a hotfix:

have the ranks be for the individual characters, so we have some numbers we can crunch

Disable everyone under green ranks from being paired with green ranks and up.

If someone's in a swf with green and up there will be no restrictions.

this should combine the old and new system decently

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

I aim to be the last killer player on DBD...

• Nickeh
    Nickeh Member Posts: 282

Youre lucky man. As survivor I get mostly rank 20-15 teammates and 1 killer. As killer (which I barely play) I get all ranks 1-5.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

I'm working 80+ hours a week currently so survivors are gonna have to wait a minute until i get a chance to log on😂😂😂

I still have not had a chance to play as 1 killer for 10 matches 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 how the ######### does everyone else do it????

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

The problem is that devs still prioritize lobby times over game balance. That just screws such a system.

• Tricks
    edited August 2020

Not entirely sure why we're assuming I'm in any way survivor biased.

Toxic red ranks anywhere but in purple / red ranks is not acceptable. Be it Survivor or Killer.

• Skelemania
    Skelemania Member Posts: 227

Not only the MMR, but now I play a game & at the end it gives me some failed to save error... and it doesn't give me the Bloodpoints I earned in the trial by Escaping with max unhooks, using an offering and 4x stacks on WGLF.

Nothing has ever made me logout faster.

If I can't earn BP I'm def. not playing.

• EverflowingRiver

In two posts you said the killers were to blame for the MMR changes. That's where I got it from.

Congrats, you spent your extra bp on leveling characters. I have a lvl 50 hag I never played with. It means nothing

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

MMR was not implemented so that red rank killers can destroy rank 20s. Portraying the current issues as a deliberate joint effort between veteran players and the devs to sabotage the game is nonsensical.

• Tricks
    edited August 2020

Yet that's what happened. Red ranks /cried for the queues to be opened so they could go up against brown ranks for easy matches vs inexperienced players and short wait times to the detriment of the health, well being and future of their -own- game. hmmm. sounds like red rank hand-holding to me which has been pretty much the way it's always been with everything so yeah I'm going with the consistent proven time tested pattern that's been developing for 4 years.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,522
  • Tricks

Well I would post my entire list of achievements proving I actually play Killer and Survivor in relatively equal amounts depending on my mood but I'd rather not take up a page or 2 for what has become something quite ridiculous. So here's this instead:

Most of my locked achievements are adepts with 20 killer achievements / 3 survivor achievements left to claim from 155 so if that makes me "omg a Survivor Main"? I dunno. oof.

Why you want to smoke screen and misdirect by somehow making it a killer vs survivor sided bollocks fest somehow to do with me is beyond me but anyways none of this changes the fact that the new MMR system is ruining the new player experience eroding the very foundation of our game one match at a time which everyone should be worried about for reasons that should be bleedingly obvious.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

The main people complaining about the previous system were the ones who were getting screwed by it the most, which were killers from all ranks except red who got high ranked survivors anyway. The new system doing it in reverse, i.e. pairing rank 1 killers with rank 20 survivors, is obviously a sign that the new system isn't functioning correctly.

Suggesting that high ranked killers lobbied the devs to create a new system because they had the foresight to know that it wouldn't work in this specific way that would enable them to have some games against noob survivors until it was fixed sounds like a massive level of conspiracy and intrigue - and a lot more effort than just using a smurf account.

• EverflowingRiver

Just because you are an achievement junkie doesn't mean you don't like one side more than the other.

But like others have said, it makes no sense for the devs to purposely sabotage the game for the sake of a few high rank killers.

You turned it into a killer vs survivor battle, not me.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

They literally have the single hardest achievement in the game for killers besides Evil Incarnate and you STILL think they're biased towards survivors?

• Tricks

Dont know what your on about. Killer and Survivor roles both have their fun parts. Over it anyway.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

What?!?!?! This is exactly what red ranks are complaining about. Half of these threads are complaining about being matched up against yellow and brown rank survivors. It's ridiculously boring and a lot of us feel bad doing it. The queues are actually a million times worse right now for red ranks. Red rank killer is a lobby simulator followed by a 3 minute match against bots right now. Not sure where you're getting this from.

• EverflowingRiver

Once again, so what. I had every achievement in gears of war 3, didn't mean I enjoyed playing horde mode; I did it to say I did it.

You are missing the overall point in that his blaming MMR on killers complaining is baseless.

• EverflowingRiver

All I'm saying is you have zero proof or logical reasoning to say killers are to blame for the broken MMR.

• Nickeh
    Nickeh Member Posts: 282

How can there be an issue that's universally ruining everyone's games, survivor and killer, and ya'll still turn it into an argument.

• Tricks

I still don't get it because that was never what I was saying in the first place but ok.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

This game really takes after old slasher flicks killers with how many times it has supposedly died and still is going

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 651
    edited August 2020

I would not do anything in my power to help alleviate the rough experience for new players. Quite on the contrary, I would do everything to my power to play hard and show no mercy so that they have the most authentic experience, which would encourage them to write on the forum about their thoughts and experience. This information would prove most vital for BHVR to change things as they do not want to lose new players who are also potential new customers to their ingame shop.

If it falls upon our shoulders to "fix" the devs' bad decisions, soon we find ourselves doing the same as the community of Fallout players.

• EverflowingRiver

Lol now I know you are just trolling. Look back at your first post in this thread. You wrote it in bold

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

Obviously it's going to make a curve until people start getting into where they belong

• Hazz1123
    Hazz1123 Member Posts: 42

It's not even fun. My SWF is all rank 1, and almost every game is a rank 20 killer who can't even hit us. How could the devs possibly get it this wrong..... Half the time one of us just dies on purpose so they can get points.

• Tricks

Nope, still not talking about an imagined killer vs survivor problem (which how is that even a thing in the first place in regards to mmr) that's all you.

• wisdomwielder
    wisdomwielder Member Posts: 348

I've been playing this game since 2016 and have over 4k hours. I'm won't be playing again until they stop putting me with rank 20s. It's not fair to them and it's boring for me.