What is the big deal with STBL?

Options

Someone enlighten me, please

Comments

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,077
    Options

Is it a big deal? It's incredibly rare that I ever see someone running Save the Best for Last. I don't have it on any of my killer builds either...

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677
    Options

I just see a lot of people talk about it and a lot of streamers using it like it's the secret sauce to a lot of builds lol

It doesn't seem all that spectacular to me either. I was just wondering what the hype was all about

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

For most killers it's not that big a deal actually since every time you hit the obsession with a basic attack you lose tokens on it. And for a killer that mostly uses their alternate attack, like Bubba and his chainsaw, it's also not all that great since it only buffs up the basic attack. But there are a couple of killers that can make good use of it.

Demogorgon is a killer that both uses basic attacks most of the time but also has the option to use Shred on the obsession. So it can build up tokens on everybody else, Shred the Obsession, and eventually kill the obsession and have hopefully the max 8 tokens on the perk. And when the perk is fully tokened up you recover from your successful hits 40% faster, which means it only takes you 1.8 seconds to recover instead of 3 seconds. That means you can hit a survivor, they only get to sprint away for 1.8 seconds, and then you're right back into chasing them again. You can down a healthy survivor with two consecutive chases much faster using this perk like that, assuming you can build it up to 8 tokens and keep it there (which Demogorgon can do).

Another killer that can make good use of Save the Best for Last is Deathslinger. Deathslinger hunts the non-obsessions normally, and versus the obsession if they're healthy he can shoot them and intentionally let the chain break to injure them rather than hitting them directly. He does need to hit them with a basic attack to down them, but that's not quite as bad as, say, Clown or Doctor or Freddy who would have to hit them to injure them as well. And once Deathslinger's tokens are maxed out he can hit someone in melee, they only get to run for 1.8 seconds, and then they're still probably in range for him to shoot them. Without that perk it's much more difficult for him to get that follow-up shot.

• Samwise444
    Samwise444 Member Posts: 195
    Options

Hi Sadsnacks,

In the grand scheme of things there are better perks to run on most killers. However, I would recommend running it on certain killers. Those with a smaller moved speed benefit greatly from having the fast recovery from a successful hit. Using it on the Demogorgon is a hidden secret that works wonders. Combine this with Make Your Choice and Surveillance and you have an amazing combo. Demo has shred so he also doesn't lose stacks for hitting obsession.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694
    Options

It's kinda mediocre on most killers but there are some who use it very well.

Pig and Demo have fairly easy to use non m1 attacks which means you can keep a steady stack of 8 tokens.

Deathslinger has a m1 to harpoon wombo combo of death at 6+ stacks if your aim is good it's a fantastic perk.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

Whenever i play against it in a match it seems to be overpowered on certain killers (not saying that it is) any tips to help counter against it.

• IceCreamPrincess
    IceCreamPrincess Member Posts: 226
    Options

Half the way to counter it is identifying if the killer has it or not. Its one of the most run obsession perks for killers, so if there is an obsession and you dont have an obsession perk, keep it in mind. It also gets more easy to notice the more stacks they have.

Once you realise they have it, try to not feed them stacks. if you're 100% certain they have it, use the small speed burst you get to move to a safer location, rather than just holding W for distance. And if you are about to be downed, try to force them to grab you instead, easiest via lockers, as it denies them a stack.

If you are the obsession and you think they have it, try to bodyblock for your teammates, getting hits that you can easily heal merely reduces the killers stacks. However ultimately, the perk can't carry a killer, merely help them snowball in the midgame. The biggest counter is to just crank out gens and escape. He can't hit you if you're outside the exit gates

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

Thanks so much for the tips i will be sure to remember it

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159
    Options

If you use it on deathslinger it can get you shots that you wouldn't get for example.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

Being able to attack successively is for sure a very strong perk on most killers. Its really only not useful on instadown killers. I run it as ‘my’ meta on Doctor, Clown, Wraith, Trapper, Pig, Nightmare, Demogorgon, Executioner, Spirit, Hag.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480
    Options

I think @IceCreamPrincess is pretty much right on the money with it. It works really well on M1 killers mostly, since they make the most use out of just walking up and attacking, and on specific killers it has some niche tricks with it. Like how with Demo/Pig you can use their alternate attack on the obsession to save stacks, or even with Trapper you can save stacks by picking up the obsession from a trap. Similarly with Trapper, if you have SBTFL and a non-obession is trapper, you can smack them for a free token, or you can even get 2 free tokens if you run the padded jaws (because 2 hits to take them down.) It also makes it a lot more dangerous for people to go for altruistic plays right in your face. Another thing with Hag, is that having less cooldown after an attack means that you can get ready to teleport even sooner, and won't miss an opportunity to hit somebody running away as much.

Like, I can't tell you how many times I've been playing a killer like Trapper, have had somebody run down into the basement right in front of me thinking they're going to make some awesome play in front of my face, only for me to just one-two them before they can even get to the hook.

• Sadsnacks
    Sadsnacks Member Posts: 677
    Options

Okay, I can't respond to everyone but this was insightful!

Thank you! I'm definitely going to give it a try on some of the low mobility, non-insta killers!

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

Awesome. I wouldn’t recommend it on Huntress just fyi.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options

Oh I love it.

Great for snowballing.

• Flatskull
    Flatskull Member Posts: 332
    edited August 2020
    Options

Basically.

Killers like to go zoom zoom because the game is time sensitive and STBL is one of the few perks that allows killer to dramatically decrease the periods where they can't go zoom during a zoom important moment-after hiting a survivor so you can persue a down- it's also one of the few perks that can still benefit off nullified hits granted by survivor perks like burrowed time or mettle of man.

It's condition is also simple and something you're going to do anyway, on top of this it makes you wan to avoid the obsession who most likely has DS a good chunk of the time. Unlike play with your food which needs you to specifically find the obsession...then give up chases over and over to get real use of it.

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719
    Options

I run it on spirit when I'm running the activation add-ons. It allows you to hit then the combination of the reduced time to wipe + reduced activation allows you to get a second hit really easily.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
    Options

Don't know if it works, but if you have 8 stacks with deathslinger, hit the survivor in melee and nearly immediately shoot your gun.

• Samwise444
    Samwise444 Member Posts: 195
    Options

I have seen this a bit and was wondering if people could respond to using it on huntress. In my opinion, I find that she mostly uses hatchets to down people and wouldn't have the best use for it. Likewise, Huntress needs perks for detection in her loadout to find people. It seems that this perk wouldn't help her weaknesses and could limit her strengths. Was wondering if people could share what they found useful when using it on her.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

Huntress is in a similar vein to Leatherface, Plague, and Billy; their primary means of attacking survivors are actually through their special weapons and they usually only use basic attacks when their stronger power-based-attacks are not available or not feasible (like trying to chainsaw near a window).

Because all of these killers prefer to injure/down survivors through their powers, StBfL isn't really an important or popular choice on them. Though I do find it to be pretty entertaining to use on any of them when I'm screwing around and just playing weird builds for fun.

• dominator3396
    dominator3396 Member Posts: 12
    Options

Its a snowball perk. It takes some time getting it too its full potential, but once you get the full stacks, you can apply more pressure because you're not wasting as much time after hits.

Also, its a fun perk.

This is my wraith perk build that I run:

stbfl, dying light, nurses, and nemesis. The build definitely snowballs. I usually have 7 dying light stacks. On top of that, the build encourages some game play styles: to disrespect pallets, to eat ds, and encourages flashlight blinds to be good (because they usually dont do gens, and since they are to busy playing hero, everyone else is having a miserable time doing gens.)

I got off topic a bit, but stbfl is a fun perk that provides a different gameplay and in my experience a more satisfying gameplay for all parties involved.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options
  • HagIsBestGirl
    HagIsBestGirl Member Posts: 158
    Options

Official petition to henceforth refer to STBFL as "Stabful."

That's all.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,322
    Options

Pretty overrated imo.

There's only a few killers it is actually extremely good on like Demo or Deathslinger etc. The few that have reliable alternate attacks for damaging the obsession essentially.

• DaKnight
    DaKnight Member Posts: 720
    Options

Yeah, I find it pretty mediocre on most killers. It feels great to get to 6-8 stacks but there's too many games where you keep running into the obsession randomly or you need to finish off someone who DS'd you. Or the game is nearly over by the time you get them.

And honestly, even once you DO get full stacks it's really only going to be useful for camping hooks for the most part. No good team of survivors will let you rapid fire off M1s on them otherwise.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,694
    Options

I won't repeat in great detail what others have already said other than that it's great on M1 killers. I use STBFL on my Freddy build since he has no other way to attack, and it's damn near OP being able to hop back into a chase so quickly after a basic attack! LOL

Just make sure you max out the perk, that way you only lose two stacks when you attack your obsession.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,084
    Options

Pretty good perk for reasons other people have mentioned(not losing stacks with certain killers), but personally I think PWYF is much worse. As the obsession there's literally no counterplay to it. Even if you try to make them chase you, they can just outrun you and get stacks

• Seiji212
    Seiji212 Member Posts: 183
    Options

Getting slapped by demo and then shredded before you can get to the next loop- super strong. Playing demo without it feels clumsy, and it’s super satisfying downing multiple people who cluster up.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    Options

Sleeper perk. My worst nightmare as a survivor.

• crying_game9
    crying_game9 Member Posts: 0
    Options

It's very useful on killers that have an alternate means of injuring survivors. I use it on the Pig all of the time with great effect. Demogorgon can make good use of it, though I find ambush hits easier to land. I used it in a few meme builds with Legion and the Plague. Stbfl is really useful for punishing hook-bombing. Eight stacks is a soft counter to borrowed time and 99ing gates as well. It helps you to quickly reacquire survivors after injuring them.

• H3xB0rr0w3dT1m3
    H3xB0rr0w3dT1m3 Member Posts: 188
    Options

I can not count on my fingers the amount of times I was able to get downs with people bodyblocking while running the perk

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,541
    Options

I hear some people call it overpowered because of the quick attack cooldown you get at higher stacks, but c'mon. It takes so long to get those stacks and you have to actively avoid the obsession or else you lose them.