Why is rage quitting so looked down upon in this game?

Options

I fall guilty to rage quitting from time to time (only as killer really) but every time I do I am barraged with death threats and harsh words, I feel as if I should stop playing this game for how toxic it is.

Comments

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

Go play a single player game...

• SolAkira
    SolAkira Member Posts: 71
    Options

I rage quit sometimes because the killer takes the fun out for me. It's rare that I do though. Getting face camped or tunneled is very annoying for me. I'm not good at the game and I dont really run meta perks like DS or even Adrenaline. I stick to my fun wacky builds and get tunneled or camped because they cant catch anyone else. I cant even loop or time pallet drops. I'm just in the game to have fun and it gets ruined because of other toxic players.

• WARW0LF
    WARW0LF Member Posts: 200
    Options

DC will always be a thing until they address why people are DC, stupid OP killer addons, terrible map design and nurse and spirit, i find these acceptable reasons to DC and when someone does, my thoughts aren't hate, it's understanding, i'll go too, np

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I never rage quit before dc penalty was implemented because I respect my teammates even if they play poorly. Now I rage quit only when I get tunneled and killer use mori on me. At this point it doesn't matter if I leave my teammates behind because killer already get me out of the game. I would rather wait 5 min than get moried off the hook.

• ArtCrusade
    ArtCrusade Member Posts: 30
    Options

Ragequitting a game literally is you going "waaaaaaaaaah, waaaaaaaah, I am unhappy with how they are treating me"

If you are one of the people denying killers hooks by going "Narnia" on them, you are literally being part of a larger-scale problem. Same with quitting as Killer. I have been utterly defeated by SWFs on some maps. Just keep on going, sometimes you get'em when they least expect it.

But please, don't ask us to legitimize your bad behaviour. We won't do that.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,118
    Options

Rage quitting itself is and should always be looked down upon in TEAM based multiplayer games.

You "should" go into games like rainbow six siege, rocket league, League of legends, DotA and so on with the mindset to play TOGETHER with a set amount of teammates against a group of other players.

Those games are meant to be played in team of the same size(exceptions are asymmetrical games like dbd or evolved but they mostly died out) and quitting ruins the balance between the teams.

A real life example for rage quitting would be a game of soccer where 1 (or a few to make a better relation to team sizes) just leave and suddenly the team with less players is doomed to lose and won't have much fun.

In dbd you can take this example for killer rq as the one who owns the ball going home and nobody can play anymore. Sounds like much fun for the others, right?

I personally only quitted dbd once, when all survivor exploited a (then still existing) fat-shaming spot.

Another thing would be a team oriented surrender vote but this would allow too much trolling from 3 man swf against solo and won't help killer side at all.

And before anyone mentions games like cod, battlefield and so on those games provide the option of the lobby filling up in real time during matches and a single quitter doesn't have the same impact in team sizes of 16 -32 people.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

Sure, ragequitting isn't cool and I'm also a friend of dc punishments, but does nobody feel like death threats are worse than dc'ing?

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

Only the offerings for survivors. Addons and items are saved when the killer DC

"acceptable reasons" is already the wrong approach. Btw people DC also for worse reasons like "I got downed within 10 seconds of the game" or simply "I got hooked in the basement". So "fixing OP killers" will not solve the problem, I have seen peopüle DC against non OP killers just because they dislike the killers playstyle (Legion for example)

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

But that feeds the killer even more. He now has to deal with 3 survivors, having much more pressure. If you want facecamping to be punished, just stare back at him and flap your arms to show the others "Im being facecamped" so they hopefully do gens and the killer gets a boring stareoff with below 10k BP.

As soon as you send him back in action by DC you give him the fun back. Keeping him at the staring contest, gens popping in his back, might on the long run change his playstyle, if they have lobby simulator in trials as well

• SolAkira
    SolAkira Member Posts: 71
    Options

I only disco right when they get ready to death hook me or something if I get unhooked. If it's the first it's usually what I do and DC right before I die after the struggle. My teammates are usually smart enough to do the gens

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

Death threats and salty language is inappropriate. However, throwing a tantrum and rage quitting the game online is no different from upending the table when you are mad about a game in the real world. It is the behavior of spoiled children. It is disrespectful to your fellow players, the community at large, and the game itself. If you are the kind of person who Rage Quits frequently (rather than a rare bad day thing) perhaps you don't have the temperament for this hobby. To quote Dalton in Road House, "There is always Barber College."

• ShadowRain
    ShadowRain Member Posts: 607
    Options

Because rage quitting ruins the game for other people.. if you rage quit just don’t play the game. Simple

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420
    Options

If you can’t handle losing a game that lasts 7 minutes then you’re probably right that you should stop playing.

You rage quit because you can’t handle things not going your way and that conflicts with the emotions of feeling entitled to have things go your way.

• Deadman316
    Deadman316 Member Posts: 578
    Options

Sometimes. But also sometimes the other survivors are not willing to come save you. So to me, they must can do better without me.

• GoodLookinCookin
    GoodLookinCookin Member Posts: 341
    Options

I don't rage quit often but I understand the frustration and should stop doing it, but I don't see how it makes someone eligible for death threats or harsh language, it seems every time I did dc I would be flocked with these people. I do expect people to be mad but isn't it hypocritical to call someone short tempered when they themselves get mad and throws a tantrum when someone rage quits from the game?

• Olokun
    Olokun Member Posts: 264
    Options

if i quit ,it s because i have no fun with you i quit but i dont rage , i only play for fun

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

It ruins the match for all players involved.

That being said, death threats and other similar comments are a much worse offense IMO. You can probably report those and get the offenders banned.

• AlexisFox
    AlexisFox Member Posts: 127
    Options

You paid for the game. If you aren't having fun in a match leave it. You don't owe anyone anything. The other players aren't going to like it but that's their problem not yours. If you keep getting match after match that makes you ragequit then maybe it's time to play something else until you're in a headspace that you can handle the game without getting upset by it. If someone sends you death threats report them because those are bannable in the game and on steam and any other system a player is connecting to the game through. If they are that irrationally mad about something you are doing in a video game that literally has no stakes in it whatsoever then they might need to take a forced break from the game. Just remember, what the other people say are just words and if they are words you don't want to hear you have no obligation to listen to them.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

The problem with this idea is that both sides will DC for absoloutely anything. So for Devs to actually get rid of all the reasons why people DC, which includes getting found/hit first, having two gens pop because you spent 2 mins chasing one person, don't like the map, don't like the killer. survivors are about to win e.t.c, they would have to dismantle the entire game, pack up and go home.

Both sides are NEVER going to agree on what should or shouldn't be taken out of the game, because both sides will mostly lobby for their own side and describe everything from the other side as "A reason to DC"

You proved my point here by only mentioning things on the killer side.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    Options

I mean rage quitting is looked down upon in every game I don't think there is a game out there where rage quitting isn't looked the down upon.

But if you want Dead by daylight specifically as a survivor it typically screws over your teammate if you disconnect.

Having someone died early is a massive advantage to the killer same thing if somebody disconnects early.

I can't tell you how many games I've been in as a solo survivor where we've had someone disconnect really early and we've all died with just one gen left that was pretty close anyway. ( it really punches you in the gut with the whole if this person didn't immediately disconnect the second I got downed we could have been won)

As for disconnecting as a killer you usually just end the game quickly which could potentially mean that the survivors lose bloodpoints they could have learnt or emblem scores which doesn't really matter anymore

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458
    Options

You will note that I started my post with the fact that salty language and threats are inappropriate. I did not make the argument you are implying, and I would appreciate you making a correction. What I said is simple, Rage Quits are for spoiled children. We all can have a bad day, where real life, health, or something else pushes us over the edge. The rare Rage Quit happens. However, if this is a common occurrence, it is just being a bad sport. None of us like tantrums in real life, and none of us like tantrums online.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904
    Options

Not all DC is rage quitting, a lot probably is but if I do DC, its usually only as killer and only when against a really obnoxious group of survivors.

The constant noise notifications, the tea bagging and flashlight clicking at every pallet. I think to myself I could probably have a game against people less obnoxious so why would I spend my time online with these people that I wouldn't play a game with at any other given opportunity.

I don't really care if it counts as an escape for them its not about winning or losing, sometimes you just think I'd rather play with different people.

I never rage but I have to admit sometimes I do quit and the post game chat usually tells me I made the right choice.