Why do you play survivor?

I'd appreciate it if the community gave me some insight into the appeal of playing survivor.

I'm curious. 🤓

Comments

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,748

Ever play hide and seek or tag? It's like both of those, but in a cool horror setting. I get a real rush from making good plays and bamboozling the killer.

• Would you say it's accurate to describe your motivation as thrillseeking?

I have and I think I get your saying.

Do you play killer as well? It seems like you would enjoy the role.

• LethalPugy
    LethalPugy Member Posts: 493

I like being at a disadvantage, and working with a team to try and win? Or i just like running the killer around. A bit of both.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited August 2020

I only played survivor on a regular basis because my Killer queue times were 10 minutes at a minimum. After a month of playing survivor, and trying to be a killer again still resulting in waiting-and-waiting-and-waiting, I decided to play neither. I did SoloQ as survivor. After a month of that, I'd rather be castrated by a chainsaw.

Maybe when cross-play comes killer queues might get better. We'll see.

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

Playing survivor appeals less to me the longer I play this game...

But it still kinda does. Something about being part of a team against a more powerful enemy, and cooperation being a big part of survival. Killer is fun but you're a lot more alone.

• Kiwislash
    Kiwislash Member Posts: 2

Occasionally when killer queues are too long, or when I feel like relaxing.

Solo is fun, and usually stick with just 1-2 meta perks when survivor, as I find them dull.

• FattiePoobum
    FattiePoobum Member Posts: 293

It’s the chase

m1 gen simulator is just a snore fest.

• Samwise444
    Samwise444 Member Posts: 195

So I can survive on an Island for 39 days, find some idols, pull off a couple of blindsides and win $1,000,000. Oh....

I mean, both sides have their own appeal. I enjoy trying to work together with people that don't have coms to outsmart a killer and try to have as many people get away as possible. It is the appeal of uniting to outrun a dangerous opponent.

• chase131119
    chase131119 Member Posts: 839

Because I don't wanna play killer

• Pipefish
    Pipefish Member Posts: 331

Because Killer is only one player and I like playing with friends 😅

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

It's easier than killer.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

not sure i play both side 50/50 but i do love it when i hide really good killer walk right past me.

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,395

I like playing as a team, and i get anxious and stressed when playing killer.

• GRT_Alkaline
    GRT_Alkaline Member Posts: 226

Simply answer is, playing survivor is half the game, with killer being the other half.

There is no point in buying a game then only playing half of it.

• Poochkips
    Poochkips Member Posts: 265

Because there are only 2 options in the game

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

It's a lot more relaxing than killer. Unless my teammates decide to give me an aneurysm.

• AberrantPsychologist
    AberrantPsychologist Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2020

Wow, I just got back to the forum.

Thanks for so many replies, guys!

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

The feeling of escaping a killer by the skin of your teeth or just barely having them miss you while hiding, its euphoric.

• TheLastGreatStar
    TheLastGreatStar Member Posts: 1,002

Playing both sides made me a stronger player. It gives you more insight into how a survivor / killer will react to certain scenarios, which makes it easier to predict / counter their next move.

I used to be a survivor main when I first started playing as I found the idea of being hunted more thrilling than being the hunter. Playing as a survivor is the scarier role and that’s what I wanted.

I now play both sides and it depends on my mood / tiredness level on which side I play more that day.

• AnotherJacob
    AnotherJacob Member Posts: 66

Because every time I try killer is never a good experience. This game lacks a training mode at least to try killer's power.

• Zaonhort
    Zaonhort Member Posts: 101

Chases, teamwork, memes, builds, having fun, just chilling with friends.

I like playing killer too but queue times are atrocious at times unless it's peak hours so I mostly main survivor.

• I'm definitely getting a better idea of the diversity in mindsets behind playing survivor, thank you. 😊

• MaybeShesCrazy
    MaybeShesCrazy Member Posts: 337
    edited August 2020

Oh this is pure honest. Like raw honesty here:

Because - quite frankly I'm not good at the game. At all.

Full truth - I tried killer and the POV is so narrow and so much harder than survivor imho. I've tried killer only a few times but that was my experience. Maybe when I get better I will try killer again.

Edit: If I get better. Ever. lol

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Faster q time and more relaxing.

• TrialByFire476
    TrialByFire476 Member Posts: 100

I love the thrill of the chase. It's even better when it's a really good killer.

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636

Every chase is different, I have to be very cautious with Trapper or Hag, I have to be on high alert against Wraith, GhostFace and Pig etc. It’s always different for me.

• SoulKey
    SoulKey Member Posts: 338

Chases and coordination as part of a team

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I like it because it's relaxing.

• Siberia
    Siberia Member Posts: 353

I love that part of horror. Hiding and trying to survive, running from the killer in an intense chase. It makes it 10x better that I can also play as / against my favorite characters from different horror franchises.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,748

Yep, I play both sides! Killer's a good time. I do end up playing more survivor though because I have buddies that also play.

• LSerpentine
    LSerpentine Member Posts: 140

Because I literally cannot play Killer to save my life😅 I find that unless i'm running Wraith or Spirit I can't get hardly any kills. So i just tend to enjoy playing Surv more often.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

I used to like helping people. Till I equipped Bond 3 and so how much my team mates screw me over lol.

• shelobster
    shelobster Member Posts: 272

Cooperation with teammates. I love it when we stick together and and escape after doing everything we can to help each other get there.

Of course since I main soloQ this is a utopia which never comes true.

Today I saved a teammate twice from the hook. Healed them three times and took protection hits twice only to have them come and t-bag in front of me when I finally got hooked.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Super chill time. You only have to do 1/4 of the work, 1/4 of the chases, and you're part of a team. It's just nice and relaxed, and you can use more fun perks. Sure, it's frustrating that you often get the kind of teammates that cannot spare a perk slot for Bond, Kindred or even Empathy, but that is literally out of your control, and if they dont realise that being selfish gets them killed, it's easy to laugh at. Especially if they blow up at the killer in the post game.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

I get bored of either side if I play it for too long without switching.

I also play duo a lot with a friend of mine. Can't exactly play killer with another person like that.

• Голубой
    Голубой Member Posts: 126

I think getting chased is a lot more fun than doing the chasing. But killer has more action overall, which can be more appealing/more fun. But survivor queues are shorter and you can play with other people, so I see more value in just playing survivor. Plus, it's a little bit more chill when I'm having an off day and just want to mindlessly press M1.

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225

Because when I play as killer I can't kill anyone. I can't ruin the gameplay of other people. Also when I play as survs I don't escape if the killer don't camp / tunnel.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526

I find it to be challenging. It can be very frustrating sometimes but when good plays are made and you actually escape, it does feel good.

Making a save play for one of your teammates always feels good.

It's been increasingly rough lately. I play solo que mostly, sometimes I play SWF with my son and we don't fare much better.

• PoisonAsh
    PoisonAsh Member Posts: 60

Too scared. Never did.

• knee_ah
    knee_ah Member Posts: 56

Because sometimes it's not just holding M1 and you have fun ,also finding a server as killer takes so long so yeah..

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,725

At this point, I hop onto survivor in one of two scenarios.

• I'm playing with a friend (because they make the game so much more entertaining).
    • I'm sick and tired of killer for the day.

At this point solo survivor has just become hell so I try my best to avoid it at all costs lol.