We need more black and POC survivors

Options

Comments

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 866
    Options

BHVR updates the game every 3 months with a new chapter regardless of the bugs in the game. Creating a chapter introducing a character of color takes as much time as any other chapter.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    Options

Yeah and I know they need to do it, to keep the game alive. Imo, without new content this game would die in less as a half year.

Still, I have my wishes :).

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562
    Options

What people are saying is don't introduce a character in 3 months, fix the game first.

And you say trying to avoid stereotypes is wrong, but I'm assuming you also think stereotypes themselves are wrong. So there is no winning then?

Read what people said here already. The game is plenty diverse. Also, no one here is against more characters from different backgrounds, they are against quotas

• Walker_of_the_fog_96
    Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 1,238
    Options

steve-white girl

i mean, we know his voice still sounds like a woman, but i'm pretty sure he's a boy.😆

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,203
    Options

Yeah i know, i was copy pasting and missed this one. But i do find it amusing which one i messed up on.

• LSerpentine
    LSerpentine Member Posts: 140
    Options
  • solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 884
    Options

The cast is much more diverse than in other games or movies. In this regard, they made a good job so far. Not that i'm against more, but it's not the biggest problem right now.

btw, POC means everyone who is not white, so saying "POC and black and asian" is basically wrong, because POC is the collective term. (Some blacks don't like this term because it overlooks their specific, historic experience with racism). But asians are POC and not an extra group.

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 617
    Options

Idk why people are so angry about this post, I'm all in for diversity, I won't throw a tantrum if we don't get it though. Some people here seem to be throwing a tantrum at the mere idea of more diverse characters??? I feel the game is pretty good in that sense already, but asking for more (key word: asking) is a harmless thing to do.

The thing that I actually want to point out is the following: the balance team & the people who fix bugs in the game ARE NOT THE SAME as the people who design characters and their lore. Stop asking that you'd rather BHVR focused on bugs/balance/etc because both things are done by entirely different people in BHVR.

• LSerpentine
    edited August 2020
    Options

Jake is supposed to be korean. Hence his last name Park, but a lot of people were asking for a graphical touch up since people mistake him for native american.

Also, good point.

• PoisonAsh
    PoisonAsh Member Posts: 60
    Options

Well I have already been outspoken with the issue of representation and have also proposed a POC survivor. Check my posts under my profile. :)

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 866
    Options

I'm not saying that trying to avoid stereotypes is wrong. I'm saying that it makes no sense to believe they're going to resort to stereotypes when every single chapter before disproves this claim. I'm pointing out that the argument "creating more diversity just for the sake of diversity leads to stereotypes" is severely flawed

And well OP didn't mention quotas so bringing those up in the discussion doesn't make sense either. Besides, I can understand if you're against the idea of a quota when applying for jobs for example as it could lead to discrimination the other way around, but being against a quota for the representation of video game characters again makes no sense at all. Representation doesn't mean they're never going to make caucasian characters, it doesn't mean they won't make anymore characters you like and can relate to. It means they will make more characters POC can relate to as well and I don't see why the hell that is a problem.

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448
    Options

Nea is swedish, David is english, Jeff is canadian, Ace is Argentinian.

The color of the skin doesn't matter, the country their are from is. I'm glad devs created survivors that aren't all americans like it was at the beginning ( the four original are americans )

As for killer you forgot Hag and Trapper who are both people of color.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,676
    Options

Or a fat survivor (clown its the only fat dude here).

Jeff wants to know your location.

• LSerpentine
    Options

Yeah, someone once compared one of his cosmetics to will turner from POTC.

i dont know if its like this on pc/console but I notice when I swipe to the Character Xp gain screen at the end of a match, that the drawing underlay of him looks good, and does him a great deal of justice. And then i get back to my main screen and he kinda looks like a potato.

• Veen
    Veen Member Posts: 706
    edited August 2020
    Options

Tome archives revealed Hag as a black woman too, which has been foreseen by many comments,

The amount of "white" people mostly come to the fact that most licenced characters chosed as a survivors are white people, David Tapp is the only exception.

And not many old slasher movies POC actors came across the top without being total you can call "racist" clichés. And I don't remember ever seen one in the whole Halloween franchise, there some in Nightmare on elm street but clichés, Any comes in mind for Strangers Things but underaged characters, and it would have been weird to pick any characters over Ash and Cheryl (Laurie too btw). so 5 of the 19 survivors has been picked because they had any better option.

Tbh I waited a hell of long time to have a character who looskslike Jeff, and another black woman seems tidious to me due to the recent events when it comes to character design for the art team, it's like stepping on eggs.

• Iron
    Iron Member Posts: 241
    Options

Ace is Argentinian of Italian decent. Not saying either way as he's more complicated.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

I think Trapper is white but his flesh is scorched by The Entity torture.

• Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,528
    Options

I reckon now, more than ever, we need to discuss bringing Tony the Pimp from Demons into the game. Heroic monster killing badass if ever there was one.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

I think it's fine how it is.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    edited August 2020
    Options

There are 3 Asians survivors the game

Jake - Asian-American (Korean if you want to be exact)

Min- Chinese

Yui- Japanese

•  Antares2332
    Antares2332 Member Posts: 1,088
    Options

The variety of the characters is fine.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,111
    Options

Halloween Resurrection had Busta Rhymes and Tyra Banks in it but you wouldn't choose them over Laurie for a license character, you wouldn't choose that Halloween at all for a license. 😂

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539
    Options

No Bengali survivor yet.

• Sinister0208
    Sinister0208 Member Posts: 253
    Options

Being a 'POC' - I rather have some shorter male/taller female survivors in the game.

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857
    edited August 2020
    Options

Idk what OP's intentions are but my take...

I think we've got decent diversity in the game. Bhvr recently said that they will do their best to diversify the cast, with different people of skin colors, height, body types and sounds for their characters. And in June they said since the game started doing lore and background on characters that they would be able to explore some none hetero/cis gendered character's sexuality or gender expression in the past, something that before there they didn't want to do before. But since we're learning more and more about the characters lives before their time in the realm it's something that might come up in the future.

The community is also pretty diverse and they want to add as many characters as they can so that their players will have representation. You can see this in content people make and when you see people get together for like conventions and stuff. The game also has a sizable gay following because gays love them some horror content. Out of all the mp games I've every played I can say without a doubt that this is one of the most diverse player community I've been apart of.

I mean $$$ also is probably a motivation for all those different characters lol.

It'd be nice if we could get some South Asian or Southeast Asian characters in the future there's more than the fairskinned slanted eye and dark haired Asian, Asia is so diverse. But generally I think the survivor roster is looking too fair skinned. I mean that could've been a business decision but I don't wanna get into that mind set.

Ultimately, I think for me. I would love to see more diversity in the way of character ages. We have farrrrr too many teens (we can't do that) 21-30 something characters. I would just tell them to chill the ######### off with all the licence chapters they've been doing and start adding older characters. Like I'm still waiting for my old lady survivor and killer bhvr. More body types will always be welcomed.

• DudelPumaAce
    DudelPumaAce Member Posts: 305
    Options

a Kurdish or Turkish, was noice with a beautiful beard :D

• BillIsBestBoi
    BillIsBestBoi Member Posts: 30
    Options

It really does not matter what race a character is just as long as its a good character.

• Pryzm
    Pryzm Member Posts: 393
    Options

You are right on Hag. I did forget her. Trapper, on the other hand, is not a person of color. MacMillan is Scottish though he is from US.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

Yeah, and I'm pretty sure the last few survivors have been specifically more diverse. Yui, Zarina, etc. Of course steve nancy and cheryl are white, their source material is what they're based on. Just like Laurie, Quentin, and Ash. Licensed survivors that you cant change. Their originals are pretty diverse.

Jake, one of the original four is asian. The game started diverse. People just want something to feel like they made a difference. But going overly diverse JUST for the sake of it is less genuine that what we currently have.

Which is a broad range of colors and nationalities.

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448
    Options

oh i just checked the archives and you are right ! weird i must have been thinking about doc^^

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Out of 22 survivors there are 8 survivors that are not Caucasian. While I don't oppose having more by any means. Personally I give the race or gender of a particular survivor very little thought. Why do we need more? And when I say need, I mean why is this a pressing issue?

• EverflowingRiver
    EverflowingRiver Member Posts: 562
    Options

By saying they need more diversity, they are saying the numbers are not up to some imaginary minimum they have made up in their mind. If you don't see the problem with that, that's on you. It makes perfect sense for me to want the creative team to let their ideas flow instead of them looking at some chart on the wall and saying "well now it's time to add a left handed, one legged, bald Vietnamese survivor cause we need more diversity."

I will say, this troll thread received way more attention then it should have but I'm just as guilty as everyone in that regard.

• Bingbongbong
    Bingbongbong Member Posts: 202
    Options

Yikes some of the comments here are ignorant and disgusting.

Diversity is a great thing, I'm all for more POC in the game.

• Iron
    Iron Member Posts: 241
    Options

I'd love to see something australian aboriginal or pacific islander. There is a lot to draw from there I feel.

This discussion has been closed.