Unpopular opinion: Bring back MMR

OK, I'm a console killer main.

Just before MMR came out, I was seriously considering just putting DBD down for good due to the endless red rank sweat squads I was seeing. Playing against the same tactics over and over again, seeing the same meta perks and strategies. It was getting very old.

Then BHVR brought in MMR and suddenly every game was different! I would be facing weird combinations of people with perks I wouldn't expect. Survivors would come up with new strategies because I wasn't just playing the same people any more. Sure, I came up against new players but I still found experienced players as well! I lost a fair few games but every single one of them was interesting.

Now we have the old matchmaking back, and it's boring again. Really, really boring. The survivors are literally all the same. Plus now we have crossplay as well, with the added benefit of faster queue times but the downside of horrendous FPS compared to PC.

I can already hear the comments from other people shouting me down:

"Get good. Just don't use crossplay. MMR was trash, I only ever saw rank 20s."

I really want to enjoy DBD but at the moment I just can't. I guess that's alright but I can't help but be a bit sad about it. Maybe I should just take a break and come back after all this is sorted out, if it ever will be.

I literally signed up to this forum to post this, so I hope someone from Behaviour sees it.

For those of you still enjoying the game, good luck to you. For those who are of a similar mind to me, hit me up with some fun games.

Comments

• Chaotic_Riddle
    Chaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,953

The new MMR system was boring as well. No one wanted to play against Survivors who had literally no clue what they were doing due to their experience in the game. That's why everyone hated the new MMR due to it forcing newer players to play up against veterans. You can enjoy that, which is fine, everyone can find enjoyment in different things, but the new MMR system was seriously unhealthy for the game and newer players.

The MMR could be brought back if it was actually given time and not rushed out, but as of right now, it's best just to leave it off until BHVR can figure out what had gone wrong in the first place and how they can fix it for newer players and veterans.

• LastShoe
    LastShoe Member Posts: 1,183

MMR is a good idea... execution was just trash.

Instead of giving everyone same mmr at the start, it should be rank depended, then problems would be the same as we have now, but over time it could get better. (depending on how the mmr was working)

• Malazan
    Malazan Member Posts: 8

Thanks for your comments guys, I agree it should be reworked so everyone can enjoy it.

I just hope that happens before I decide to just stop playing.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503

Bring back a fixed MMR system that actually works and does what it’s supposed to? Yeah, totally.

Bring back the MMR in it’s current state?

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

MMR is probably never going to work. I honestly don't see a world in which I don't have 4-minute gens if I make 1 tiny mistake and/or patrol the wrong direction at the beginning of the match. Its just not going to happen. Doesnt matter how skilled, or lack thereof, I am. On the flip side, I don't know how long it will take before I don't get killers that, for example, try to loop as Demo whilst holding his lunge.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

Mmr wasn't trash for everyone. My games would be 6-7 super sweaty games followed by 3-4 games against new players and then from there it evened out. As the couple killers I was already playing a lot of before mmr, my matches were balanced the minute mmr came out with the occasional potato thrown into the mix.

I understand there were some problems initially but I sincerely hope they bring back mmr soon. It was so nice having relaxing yet fun games, and I would love to get my killer adept achievements finally without having to depip as far as I can go, which usually doesn't help with my region anyway since when I was rank 14 I was still getting matched with red rank swf using a low rank friend to get matched with lower rank killers.

• VSchmitt
    VSchmitt Member Posts: 571

MMR execution was #########, but the system was really ok. In my main killer (Oni) I was getting fairly accurate matches, some wins, some loses. In my wraith (who I don't play since I've started the game) I started with potatoes and babies, but was quickly getting better players.

MMR is not the problem, BHVR just don't know their game all that well so they didn't know how to execute it.

• Malazan

Yeah, this was my experience as well. It was actually working!

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Personally, they should just keep Ranks for Matchmaking and do a proper Rank Reset again (yeah, I know, players who cannot play that much will not get the same rewards like players who play more, but this is the case in every game).

I highly doubt that a MMR-System for DBD can work at all, since there are too many variables to consider.

And well, the MMR which was live until a few days ago... I had like 40 or 50 Billy games and was still getting players on their first game. And I won every of those Billy games, most of them with 12 Hooks. And then I still get Survivors with 0,0 hours on DBD? Like, even if I never played a Killer, this should not happen, because to beat players on their first game, I just need to press W and M1 from time to time.

I was happy that MMR got removed, because I was thinking about qutting Killer if I get Newbies in that many games. (Even tho, most other Killers were pretty accurate, but Billy was a mess)

• Malazan

Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself very well. Frustration talking probably. I have no interest in just mowing down noobs, because that wasn't my experience of MMR at all. It started on Xbox (where I play) so it seemed to have a lot more time to calibrate itself.

What I meant was, I wasn't facing the exact same tactics over and over again. It gets pretty tiresome.

I'm sorry you had a poor experience and hopefully Behaviour can make both of us happy with whatever they come up with next.

• Malazan

I can understand your frustration if that was your experience!

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985

The MMR system is welcome back when it actually works as intended.

• TattooJake
    TattooJake Member Posts: 158

No. That is all

• korean_zombie
    korean_zombie Member Posts: 442

I felt like my survivor MMR was dialed in. I played in matches with skilled teammates and a skilled killer. Granted I’ve played 70 hours since it came out. My killer was still developing but I would say I was 3-4 weeks away from a good pairing. I think people needed to be a little more patient. As a side note I joined a friend whose MMR wasn’t at a set point yet and it was pretty similar to my early MMR.

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

My survivor games had more variety with the new mmr but my killer games were absolute trash. I'm glad they deactivated it and also the cross play downright saved their butts as far as keeping the game on track and interesting during the oopsie that was new mmr.

• stargazer9
    stargazer9 Member Posts: 649

MMR was a disaster. I find matchmaking after they’ve disabled MMR a lot better.

• VicThor
    VicThor Member Posts: 347

Agreed 100%. I can barely get 1 kills since cross play and the MMR

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

I dont think a well done MMR is an unpopular opinion, but what we got was extremely messy thing with several oversights (like no base MMR for Killers).

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277