Any tips to not get stressed from the ranking system?

Options

I always get stressed when I play killer, and end up depipping from my own stress, which leads to more stress, and it's an endless cycle. I wish I could just turn off the ranking system and play without effecting it.

Comments

• Aaliyah
    Aaliyah Member Posts: 52
    Options

I have the same problem! But sadly there is no solution :'(

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791
    Options

Deep breaths that sound like heavy sighing. All you can really do.

• Masochistic_Killer
    Masochistic_Killer Member Posts: 413
    Options

I wish this weren't true.

I don't know what to say really. The MM gets worse the higher rank you get so the games get less and less fun as they become more and more sweaty. Every game is an SWF, literally every single one, it's either 2 x 2, 3x and a solo or a full 4 man. Everyone has the same 5 or 6 perks.

I'm currently at rank 3 killer and am playing survivor a hell of a lot more now, you cannot play a killer you're inexperienced or not good with, you cannot play anything different to test builds, you'll just get bullied like you're a Home Alone villain, and is very likely to happen if you are playing something you're at least competent with.

Even the worst survivor game is 10x more laid back, no matter how much you ######### up there are 3 other people, your impact is very limited in comparison, and it's very easy to dip in and out of matches.

We can only hope the MMR based MM will eventually be good, but I doubt it.

• Pipefish
    Pipefish Member Posts: 331
    Options

Honestly I reccomend playing at a tier where you feel comfortable. If anything I'd say depiping is a good thing for three reasons.

1. You get nothing for ranking up to 1, all it gives is bragging rights and even then most dbd players could careless

2. You'll get less bloodpoints as its much harder to chase red rank survivors over green rank ones assuming the red ranks weren't boosted.

3. You can take more risks at lower ranks. Things like not looking in the survivors direction to not trigger spine chill take skill and your going to fail those things many times. But when you finally do master new things it should make piping easier

Hope this helped and believe me I been there.

• OBX
    OBX Member Posts: 854
    Options
  • gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Stop worrying about it. Play with a personal objective in mind for the match, rather than pips. More fun that way.

At the end of the day, rank has very little effect on skill.

Most good players are rank 1-3. But not every rank 1-3 is actually good

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241
    Options

I had the same problem but i managed to get over it long time ago.

Bro, it's just a game. Whatever the outcome of the match is, you and survivors will forget it in 2 minutes.

0K-4K doesn't matter. Just RELAX, play your game and move on to the next one.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528
    Options

This is a casual game. If you think rank matters you are dead wrong. You shouldn't ever care about it. It sucks the fun out of this game.

• Zender
    Zender Member Posts: 178
    edited August 2020
    Options

Git gud on spirit, freddy, Oni, nurse, or billy. At the highest levels of this game the survivors own the show if they are coordinating, good at looping, and using their cheat-not-a-cheat comms. They report everything you do to each other. ggez baby killer.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

I decided to try out Clown last night for the first time, since I don't have Pop for any of my builds and I've been spotting too many times where it could've really solidified a match in my favor.

I went from the edge of rank 1 (one pip away, never hit rank 1 before since I'm still pretty new) down to nearly rank 4.

Funny part is, I don't think I did too terribly. I started going for reload speed and wider area of effect and just started chucking bottles absolutely everywhere, using them very aggressively to completely cut off areas before a chase would even start since throwing them doesn't slow you down and you actually reload pretty damn quick with the add-on. People start having no idea where to go when an entire area is covered in pink gas, and even rank 1 survivors seem absolutely hellbent on not going into the gas unless they've got no choice, so you can kind of corral them a bit by leaving gaps you want them to go through.

Except every time I actually started to win as clown the entire survivor team would DC/give up on the hook. EVERY time. When I lost, it was your typical teabag-at-the-gate-until-forced-out nonsense, but the second I had more than one person on the hook (people seem really cocky against clown when it comes to unsafe hooks for some reason) it was just people giving up instantly. In one match they literally stopped moving so that I could hook them faster.

It was a fair mix of PC/console users (I'm on PC) so I tried asking in the post-game chat but never got any sort of response at all from anyone, no gg, no bg, no complaints of toxicity or claims that I tunneled or anything.

It was the most bizarre thing I've seen in this game. So far I've leveled Pyramid Head, Huntress, Nurse, Trapper and Billy, and none of them have ever gotten me matches where multiple teams in the same night just completely forfeit. Oh sure, you get the odd quitter here and there, and if things go really bad right at the start, you might get an entire team DC veeery rarely, but this was something different.

Anyone have any idea what this was? I mean, it was kind of funny, but resulted in safety pips even when I "won." So my entire time playing Clown, according to the ranking system at least, was a big wash.

Guy's not as bad as I was led to believe, though. Definitely nothing near a top-tier killer, but I do enjoy that I can use his power without being slowed down. Seems like one of the most common core concept for killer powers is "stop or slow down for a while," so it's nice going full speed until you reload, which is still quicker than finding a locker like with Huntress, even though obviously not as strong as a hatchet to the back of the head.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    Options

Don't worry about? It means nothing.

Also, don't listen to @Masochistic_Killer rank doesn't determine match making much, if at all. It hasn't since December. Match making is basically a free for all.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

There's no reason at all to care about the ranking system, let alone getting stressed over it.

The devs literally said it just shows how much one plays and they're bypassing it with the mmr and leave ranks there because reasons.

And guess what the good news is? The mmr is hidden, so there's no reason to stress over it either.

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682
    Options

Google ways to deal with "tilt". There's a wealth of resources out there to help you calm down. Here's some things i do when I get on tilt

1. take a break, either from the specific killer, move to survivor, another game, or just the computer. You just need to disconnect because you're stuck in a loop, and the only way out is to physically do something different
    2. compliment the opponents. When you get outplayed, even the slightest bit, remark to yourself that this player is good. It sets up your mind to deal with the fact that - hey these guys are good, maybe better than me, and it's OK if I lost, that's expected. If you're 100% convinced these players are trash and you're SUPPOSED to win, it's going to feel like everything is unfair
    3. vent to a friend. Pretty obvious, and you're doing it here! :)
    4. remember it's just a game. I know, I know, but really it works. Rank doesn't mean anything. You can't lose bloodpoints. You lose exactly nothing for playing the game and losing... in fact losing is the BEST tool to learn, which leads me to
    5. record the match. Seriously it might be annoying or time consuming to rewatch what you just did, but when you're sitting back you can observe more - "oh i didn't even see that guy" "yeah i shouldn't have kept chasing that guy, he was too far" "i should've committed to that chase, he had a medkit.. probably healed right after" etc.
  • Masochistic_Killer
    Options

Lol. I'm rank 3 and only see red rank 1-4's so, yea, you're full of #########.

• Flatskull
    Flatskull Member Posts: 332
    Options

My suggestion is that you enter with the mindset that you no longer care about rank. The game is very moody and specific about what qualifies as a pip for killer. I've had games where I hook people within seconds and slam gens with insane coordination and power usage but I didn't kill someone so screw me, depip.

Now I play how I like and I decided I don't like serious, stressful games. I enter with the game mind of messing around with my power and trying out weird or blatantly horrible perk set ups. I typically let at least one person go or sometimes two of them. This does two things: it stops you from pipping higher and getting a higher chance of sweaty swf squadies which are unfun and stressful. It helps keep the game atmosphere frinedly and chill.

You unpipped, whatever. You weren't trying your best, you were having fun and typically you'll even out or get a ruthless if you mess about as a killer and expirement most of the time rather than sweating an intense mood. Settle on a rank you're comfortable as and where the games are more chill for you, this is especially more true for MMR. Right now you can choose what type of games you want.

By letting one or two survivors go most of the time the end game chat will grateful and nicer-most of the time- which keeps the mood light. You also can rest easy knowing that you're telling the MMR. I don't want intense sweaty highly competitive rank climbing games.

Rank is an illusion. You get nothing from climbing to it tops anyway.

• Masochistic_Killer
    Options

It's true that the pip system is wildly inconsistent and doesn't seem related to points in the 4 categories.

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 951
    Options

I'd say just ignore the ranking system, it doesn't portray a person's ability reliably. The system is a bit weird anyway in terms of requirements, you could have a really good game where you've killed 2 people and hooked the other's and still de-pip at higher ranks, Got 23k points last game and de-pip because i was playing fairly against a swf team and let them hook trade with each other with one kill with Rancor at the end.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

Stop stressing, rank means nothing anymore its useless. I solo que on red rank and get people who are green and even brown. We are getting an MMR system anyway (hopefully)

• CrowVortex
    CrowVortex Member Posts: 951
    Options

A lot of people DC with my doctor and Executioner, in comparison to my other's. I could spend 1-2 minutes chasing and downing someone, go to pick them up and they dc because they were caught with their pants down, so ofc depip or no rank progress XD

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

The emblem pips are a terrible indicator of who won a match. You can literally have two identical matches, with everybody doing everything exactly the same way and triggering all the exact same scoring events and kills and escapes and times, and at the end of the match if you personally are Rank 5 you don't get a pip or lose a pip while if you are Rank 15 you gain a pip. Obviously though your own Rank has no bearing at all whether you won the match, only what happened in the match itself matters, so pips giving different results for identical matches makes them unusable as a way to see who won a match. The only purpose of pips is for matchmaking, and as others mentioned above it's not even going to be used for that once they get the MMR up and running again.

Ignore pips and emblem ranks altogether, they're a terrible win/loss indicator. The endgame bloodpoint scores are a much better indicator of who actually won the match, or just say that if the killer got 0-1 kills they lost, 2 kills is a draw (give or take the scores) and 3-4 kills is a killer win.

• mydogmax19
    mydogmax19 Member Posts: 266
    Options

I understand you very well it can be stressful playing killer. I would say take a breather after each match to collect yourself mentally hopefully afterwards you'll be at peace and ready to play again. It's going to be okay.

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839
    Options

Don't worry about rank. The game gets ultra sweaty at higher ranks anyways. If anything, it becomes nice if you derank to go up against people that aren't attempting perfect loops or trying to blind you every other second.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

Just don’t care. It really helps your game

• PAN_tastic07
    PAN_tastic07 Member Posts: 7
    Options

This was from my last game, and one of my very first legion matches. The gens were done in 2 minutes and they all escaped, rn I just stick to the killer I play best, leatherface. I may like other killers more, but if I don't want to depip and get clowned on by red rank toxic scumbags, I have to.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

there's no need to even put any thought into ranks once you've hit red ranks at least once, so other than get to red ranks to gain clarity, I have no tips.

• Golden_spider
    Golden_spider Member Posts: 587
    Options

Realize Ranks barely mean anything besides the achievement/trophy/etc. for getting to Rank 1 as Survivor/Killer one time.

And even then you could go against 4 Red Rank Potatoes as a Green Rank Killer because the Emblem System isn't the perfect or best indicator for skill and is flawed.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677
    Options

My solution to not get stressed out is to not play killer because there's nothing you can do about it.