The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

May we get a time extension on the Rift?

Is it possible or even likely that we may see a time extension for the current Rift that is connected to Tome IV?

When I was struggling to find a reason to keep playing, Rifts were announced. The idea of completing Tome Challenges, in the hopes of reaching Tier 70, presented me with a goal I was previously lacking. (I had already finished the Bloodpoint grind. I had all of the Perks on the characters I cared about.) So far, the Rifts have been a genuinely enjoyable aspect of the game that help me ignore many of the other unsatisfactory parts.

Prior the the Rifts, I never felt motivated to purchase Auric Cells. Other players have already discover that the Tome IV challenges don't grant nearly as much progress towards reaching Tier 70. This means that playing more matches to complete the Rift will be required. Sinking in more time for the same level of reward currently isn't an issue for me. Under normal circumstances I would happily spend the required amount of time.

Now, let me illustrate the issue I'm having and why I'm preemptively asking for a time extension on the current Rift. It's undeniable that many changes and tests have occurred during this Rift (Tome IV). You've added and removed new matchmaking on the live versions of the game. You've forced people to participate in cross-play. (In my personal experience, queue times are at least twice as long after cross-play.) Errors are running rampant. Now, you're testing Hit Validation on the live versions of the game. It's not my job to figure out why tests are being run on the live versions of the game when there is a test version of the game. Perhaps it's time to enable cross-play on the test version of the game.

Recap:

• It will absolutely require more time to complete the Rift because of unannounced Challenge and Rift Fragment changes
  • Errors have been an extremely common occurrence for many players during this Rift
  • Live testing has disrupted matchmaking and increased queue times
  • Cross-play has noticeably increased queue times
  • Loading times are increased with cross-play enabled
  • Completing the Rift is the main reason I continue to play
  • Increasing the time required to complete the Rift while inadvertently increasing the time between matches is, in my mind, unacceptable!

Comments

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

I completed the very 1st rift for the brand new part and I dont care about it anymore. It was fun to do it only once, I guess. I do not support infinite grind for perks, but I dont mind, if getting cosmetics is challenging.

• List_of_concerns
    List_of_concerns Member Posts: 182
  • CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

This is quite annoying to see. This is the first time in a while where I've played extremely little of the game. The only time I've played recently is when I've been playing a drinking night and that's it so I'm currently not looking good for completing the rift.

The game already makes enough money off people buying skins and dlc. They also get money from people purchasing the game so I don't understand why they need to do this.

Just disappointing to see the business side come ahead of the player base. Then again they still release annoying linked skins that don't need to be linked so maybe they started acting like this sooner.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited August 2020

It doesn't shock me in the slightest. Back around the time the Rift was first announced, the Lead Dev over on Deathgarden mentioned that Deathgarden: Blood Harvest was being kept afloat via profits from Dead by Daylight, so he didn't feel a need to start monetizing the game yet or worry about the low player count as far as development.

But over here in DbD Land, we got the Rift introduced around the same time.

And then, as we all know, Deathgarden: Blood Harvest bombed and was shutdown, the second time their Deathgarden I.P. bombed.

Meanwhile, we can't get bugs fixed at a decent rate over here anymore.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

It's kind of hard to complain about the rift when you can wait until you complete it to buy the rift pass. And you get the rift pass auric cells back if you complete it.

Also, if anything Crossplay has shortened the queue times.

• Jed_Olsen
    Jed_Olsen Member Posts: 256

Every other battle pass/season pass whatever you call it comes with an xp boost generally like 25% , but not DbD. Its literally the only pass designed with hopes you don't finish, its so sad. Luckily I have no life and will finish the rift lol

• manicmonday
    manicmonday Member Posts: 12

The tiki charm you get at Tier 70 does not glow like in the preview picture.

This is the first rift I've done since coming back to the game after about a year. I dont know if previous rifts have had broken charm rewards but it leaves a bad impression on me and i dont know if i will bother trying to complete the next rift.

• CashelP14

I always say imagine what happened if the game was bought by a decent sized studio. Imagine how quick all the bugs would be fixed lol

I do feel bad for those who got into Deathgarden.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

honestly I don't have any personal issue with the rift since it requires 70 levels and you have 70 days to do it, whenever a new one starts I make sure to complete at least one level each day and that can be done without even challenges, at least for me. Rn my tier is 51 and there are 37 days left so I could just take 18 days to relax

• Kilmeran
    edited August 2020

I tried both versions during free weekends and such. To me, the design was flawed from day one. You can't have one person, especially the power role, be all ranged attacks and super jumps and speed, and the other side be unable to fight back pretty much at all and hope for jukes and dodges. Especially when you get players into the Hunter role like myself with FPS experience. I track Tracer and Genji all the time as Soldier 76 or McCree in Overwatch, there was nothing those runners were going to pull that I haven't already faced for hundreds of hours over there (at the time, I have well over a thousand hours in OW nowadays).

Predator: Hunting Grounds, though I haven't played it, seems a bit better in design in that both sides are ranged.

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310
    edited August 2020

They can't increase xp rate very easily because it would mess up shard progression, and since shards can deny having to buy non licensed DLC characters about ...2? times per 100 levels, I don't blame them.

• CashelP14

I could see how if you did have experience in the FPS genre you'd do pretty well in that game.

I wish those games did better. I remember a few months before RE: Resistance and Predator: Hunting Grounds came out I hoped they'd give this game some decent competition but it seems like they just couldn't keep hold of the players who tried out those games.

• Kilmeran

I don't know much of what went wrong with Resistance, but from a lot of the early launch feedback I heard about Hunting Grounds is was that:

1) Predator queues were too long (go figure, right?)

2) Only one Predator type was even remotely viable, and the rest got toasted by the squads in record time.

No clue if issue #2 was ever fixed or not, as I stopped following it at that time.

I never tried Resistance because the only way I could find to buy it was to buy the main Resident Evil game, too. And I long ago lost interest in the Resident Evil RPG games.

• CashelP14

My ex got me into the resi games a few years ago. I bought Resi 2 and 3 and really enjoyed them (less 3). Thing is I played resistance once and didn't enjoy it at all. It just didn't feel finished and I just felt drawn back to dbd.

I never followed the Predator game much but from what I seen it was something similar to what you said.

Though I feel their main issue though is that their main fan base is dbd players. They are trying to make similar games to dbd to capture some of that audience, without doing enough different to keep them.

• Chappy04
    Chappy04 Member Posts: 193

i play this game for a few hours a day and i finished the pass as of yesterday with no bought tiers. the challenges arent that hard so there a free boost plus youve got 70 days.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

I don't feel an extension is necessary. I've finished all hit one challenge currently out for Tome 4 and am at Tier 53 of the rift. I only have 17 tiers left to go and still have a whole ass 4th level of the Tome to go. I play about 2-3 hours a day and have no issues getting it done.

• aregularplayer
    aregularplayer Member Posts: 906

I completed previous rifts, this time I'm probably not completing it because I'm getting sicker and sicker of this game every day I play it and the rift feels more grinder.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

I get they are trying to make money but I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I've completed 2 rifts and started a 3rd rift with the same entry fee. So I've more than got my money's worth out of it. On the other hand I think completing the rift should be feasible without causing player burn out. The amount of grinding it seems like it will take to complete this rift feels like it is sliding into the player burn out area which can have long term consequences for the game.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

Since the first rift, the devs said it could be completed if someone played like an hour every day. That was a lie and now, as we are on the 4th one. I completed the previous ones, without having to spend any money and I hope this time will be the same, but it takes too long to reach level 70. They could either cut the tiers to 50 (because let's face it, some of those charms are not good) or make it easier to level up. I like the game, but it is too time consuming, if you want to complete every rift, without paying for tiers, of course.

• ShrekTheThird69
    ShrekTheThird69 Member Posts: 327

Honestly I agree, I finished the previous rift faster than this one. Don't know why the current rift is taking so long to finish

• Clinton
    Clinton Member Posts: 348

Apparently they made progress towards tiers slower. I'm tier 45 with about 5 or 6 challenges left.

I'm not really worried about finishing the rift. If I do I do