Stream Sniping TTV survivors

Options

I play SWF sometimes and one of my friends streams to twitch. We do it for the social component, not for swat SWF type things. At the start of the game the Demo was afk which we thought was weird but not unheard of. He came back part way in. Apparently during this afk he was opening the twitch client.

We found out end of game he was watching my friends stream to get intel on the game while he was killer. Admitted it in twitch chat. It didn't help him much, he had well over 500 ping so, even hitting us through pallets/walls he only managed a 2k with both kills coming from noed.

My question is, is this common? Should we be concerned with this going forward? Is there anyone else here who streams and has found a way to deal with this other than extending the delay on stream.

Comments

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

I love Twitch streamers. Either theyre super chill and everyone has fun, or theyre toxic, and I get to embarass them in front of their viewers.

• catnip18
    catnip18 Member Posts: 149
    edited September 2020
    Options

Its not my twitch account, I dont stream, learn to read. Was essentially asking to see if its worth while continuing to play with this friend if their streaming or not. Noone was mad, its just less fun when its less fair.

Also multiple large corporations do a great job policing stream snipers, its not a hard thing to do. But i dont believe it violates the ToS for dbd so it wouldn't matter if BHVR could or not. Them policing it also wasn't my question.

• catnip18
    Options

Its not my ttv, i do not stream, its a friends as it states clearly in the original post. Also, as clearly stated, the person explicitly stated they were stream sniping in the friends twitch chat, the only reason i knew is because he told me.

• catnip18
    Options

Thank you for being of one 3 people so far that actually read. The delay was an option he thought of so i may suggest that, if he doesn't want to do that and its as common as some people say, i may need to stop playing with him while he's streaming.

• catnip18
    Options

We play for fun, sweaty swf swat stuff is just boring and stressful. Others have been helpful though and we have a few options if he continues to stream games

• ExcelSword
    ExcelSword Member Posts: 451
    Options

Unfortunately its the trade off to advertising yourself in-game, some people will take advantage. Personally I'll usually check out the vlog to see how the match was from the other perspective, but otherwise i dont go snooping till the match is over.

If you are worried about getting sniped while playing with a friend and you can't control it, perhaps ask him not to include TTV in his name. Afer the match is over he can ask people to check him out in the stream. I don't stream but I think you can also delay the stream by a minute or so so any snipers wont get any useful info other than perks.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

If you don't mind my opinion is just your friend the one that it's being looked not you, I just think that increasing the delay would be the best option, I mean I understand (my bro streams and I play with him) but since you said that you play for fun and not swf depip squad, I would just ignore, it is harder for your friend since the killer will know what he is doing and whatnot.

But I really can't come up with anything that would help both of you other than increasing the delay.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

If you want to advertise your stream, that's the risk. My only advice is to just roll with it, I guess.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

It's not against DbD rules. It's against Twitch rules if you stream as well.

• CalamityJane
    CalamityJane Member Posts: 487
    Options

If you're choosing to make your gameplay live for anyone to see, then it's your problem if someone uses that.

• Venzhas
    Venzhas Member Posts: 684
    Options

Honnestly now the crossplays on, im glad when i see PC streamers , i just put it on my phone and keep playing. As surv and killers i know where they are, the perks, what theyre gonna do. Ez

• catnip18
    Options

As i stated at least 5 times in this thread its not me, i dont stream, some of yall are so excited to try and one up someone you sound like fools. This is about how to handle someone you're playing with streaming.

• catnip18
    Options

Thank you for this. I didnt believe there was anything in the DbD ToS, though I can see them updating this if they want the game to continue growing. But he did report them on Twitch, so that's something.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,216
    Options

If you have TTV in your name you're basically bringing a Mori for the squad or you're gonna be tunneled right from the start from what I've seen, I personally don't care as a killer because TTV in your name doesn't make you a good survivor

• CalamityJane
    CalamityJane Member Posts: 487
    Options

In the English language, the word "you" can be a generic or impersonal form which refers to an unspecified person. In this case, it refers to "a person who streams" not "the person who made this thread."

• Adamant_Tepig
    Adamant_Tepig Member Posts: 122
    Options

I don't stream snipe, though if I have a TTVer who is live in my game when playing killer, I like to go find the part of their vod with my match in it so I can see their perspective and analyze what I did well and what went wrong so I can improve myself. What I do like is that there's a variety of setups - solo queue, duo, or the full 4 man squads.

As far as toxicity goes, I only ever remember one time I went up against a full 4 man on coms as Trapper on Wretched Shop. That match I was running Padded Jaws (my reasoning is that if survivors realize I have Padded Jaws, they may be more willing to step in my traps, which gets me and the survivors more BP - in the matches I've used them in, it's worked surprisingly enough, not all the time) and a Trapper Sack. They weren't particularly good, with the streamer saying he wanted to 'help' by farming with me (after he pallet stunned me, I assumed he was going to be the chase bait, so I took him seriously), a green rank Ace player looping around shack where the streamer was hooked, a No Mither David looting a chest behind where I hooked him, getting called a virgin for bringing the Kate player to the basement (the most chill of the four, I assumed she was solo queue and wanted to mainly kill off the Ace for screwing the streamer over with his looping choices), and the cherry on top, being called a [Bad Word] for using BBQ of all things. The best part is they didn't think to bring me to the shop on that map, which at the time was one of the strongest looping locations in the game. I think that's ultimately what cost them - I got a 3k and let the Kate escape through hatch after getting a bit more BP out of her via traps.

• NivlacACE
    NivlacACE Member Posts: 78
    Options

Putting TTV I’m your username is just an all around bad idea, half the time if I see a TTV I’ll bring a toxic build just for fun. I don’t stream snipe but plenty do.

let’s look at the benefits, pretty much none to maybe one time viewers. I don’t think anyone has actually managed to grow their twitch channel by putting a cringy “TTV” in their account name. Every TTV I’ve bothered to watch postgame has like four viewers max.

• catnip18
    Options

The benefit is my friend wants to and he enjoys streaming even if theres only 2-3 viewers, so was looking for a way to let him keep something he enjoys while not causing future games to feel so bad.

• catnip18
    Options

So in a thread about "these are the issues when people stream, how can we get around it" you thought it valuable to say "well there's issues when people stream" in a hyper condescending tone when the issues had already been established in the original post along with 3 posts after? The added condescension here doesn't make you look any better my dude. First step to get out of a hole is to stop digging.

• Dsalter
    Dsalter Member Posts: 239
    Options

i mean if your friend is stupid enough to put "TTV" or "YT" on his user name he's basically saying "YOOOHOOO! LOOK AT ME IM STREAMING AND HERES MY LINK! COME SNIPE ME!"

i mean would you broadcast your bank pin and card number in the street because your using a specific bank? of course not.

so dont be surprised people snatch up free intel if your going to basically stick your rear out at a sniper.

• catnip18
    Options

Its something they enjoy, im not the type of person to try and police others fun, that just sounds like a sad existence. This wasn't asking "is him doing this a good idea" or "should i do this" its, within the constraints of what my friend finds fun which is streaming, what can be done to mitigate the negatives so we can continue having fun games.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,660
    Options

I've met a close friend through them having TTV in their name, and I've met close friends through me having TTV in my name.

No matter how you slice it, it's free advertising.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options

Woah, man. No need to get so heated.

The guy just wanted to know his options.

• Dsalter
    Dsalter Member Posts: 239
    Options

not have TTW or YT in his name, thats literally all you can do to stop a sniper because hanging your nads out for people to punch is an easy target, if people enjoyed his streams they would be attracted to it regardless because he would stand out.

so either they improve the quality of their stream and remove the obvious "tunnel me while 3-4 people watch!" name that is TTV or YT or suck it up and either deal with it or stop partying with said friend.

you dont have to stand next to someone holding a radiator up to a heat seeking rocket.

• Kyxlect
    Kyxlect Member Posts: 230
    Options

Yeah, when I play Killer I watch their streams or "stream snipe" though I disagree with MandyTalk because I mean sure Twitch has ToS against stream sniping but the way I see it is, I'm not even a streamer so it's questionable if that rule even applies to me, I'm just a viewer with an account to type in chat. What are they gonna do about it? Psh..nothin' that's what. I've admitted to it plenty of times in streamers chats. Still haven't been banned.

Even if they banned my account, guess what? I can still watch anyone's streams because I don't even need an account to do that or I could just make another account. To be honest, if you don't want to be 'stream sniped' don't put TTV in your username or link it in your Steam profile. You're just inviting me to tune in....and I shall. ;)

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826
    Options

I think changing your username should help because I was in a lobby last night and found out the killer was a streamer after I died, but I was just excited to hear their critiques or see if I did something stupid lol. I don’t think I could ever stream snipe because I want everyone to have a good and equal experience, but people will do what they can to win or upset others. I just hope it didn’t effect any of your ranks too much!

• catnip18
    Options

That sounds like a sad life, my condolences =( hope you get better soon.

• catnip18
    Options

We had a couple killers like that, ones where it was a 2 in 2 out game and on the way out he dropped every pallet as they were carrying someone to their death hook so they could break them as the last two got out. Popped in to thank him for the extra bp since the game was over anyways. but it was always after game

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,558
    Options

I also think a lot of streamers "think" they're being stream sniped when they really aren't.

I typically go to their stream and pause the broadcast before the game starts. I then unpause it after the game is over to hear their comments. They scream stream sniper a lot for why they lost when it really wasn't the case.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,289
    Options

If you want free advertising by putting ttv in your name don't complain when it backfires

• Kyxlect
    Options

Hey, I answered your question with my knowledge and experience and you respond with saying I live a sad life? I wonder if that could be construed as being disrespectful. Might want to be careful there catnip18, I also see lots of people getting banned left and right here recently.

• thelittlemonsters
    Options

Yeah, it’s super rare. In almost two years of streaming I’ve only been in two situations where I suspected stream sniping.

A lot of people are quick to make any excuses for why they’re having trouble.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

streamsniping is not bannable, your friend put everyone at risk when he advert his stream to the killer

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Exactly. Stream and ANYONE can watch, including your opponent

• catnip18
    Options

The killer in the twitch chat straight up admitted un-prompted in a condescending tone, probably cuz he only managed a 2k while doing it.

• catnip18
    Options

And stream sniping falls under the "cheating" category in twitch, the forums here will ban people for admitting to cheating but it doesn't specify what platform the cheating has to occur on. We both walk fine lines I guess, however I wasn't aware that casting judgement on others behaviors is considered disrespect as every single thread i've looked at does it, but at least im not trying to harm others and then bragging about it ya know?

• Kyxlect
    Options

Yes, it does. But as I've already said it may not apply to non-streamers seeing as how my account still remains unbanned even after admitting it to the streamer's.

Yes, BHVR does state that they'd ban cheaters admitting to cheating in the forum rules. However, as MandyTalk already stated as well, they have no rule for 'stream sniping' and take no action for those that do it. Therefore, I'm safe since that's exactly what I admitted to.

I feel like the information I provided to you could be considered useful to not only your friend but others who stream as well, it's just information you don't like to be informed about. "The ugly truth" but you took it a step further and insulted me.

• Funkerlied
    Funkerlied Member Posts: 37
    Options

It's YOUR post, so of course I'm going to address you. Additionally, not everyone who plays like an ######### is a stream sniper, which is why it would be especially hard to pinpoint it in DbD. Also, you did ask if it was common and it was an open-ended question. So next time instead of trying to be an #########, actually have a discussion.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

ALSO:

a 500+ ping is often (not always but often) a sign that someone uses a hack...

so, wow you really got one incompetent person there...

• Psychobeastz
    Psychobeastz Member Posts: 164
    Options

Like everyone here is saying and although unfortunately we have some who can't help but spread negativity rather than a constructive feedback, its a harsh world we live in. That aside, as these good people have mentioned that delaying the stream seems to be the better option especially if your pal wants to advertise. Games like dead by daylight, you should possibly avoid streaming as long as your a survivor(maybe killer but what are the odds).

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720
    Options

BEST RULES OF THUMB to avoid the issue of a stream sniper:

• do NOT use "TTV" in a person's steam or player name. I understand promoting a channel is difficult. But it comes at a high cost.
    • Don't Put your TTV or YT name links in your steam profile.
    • Make your steam profile PRIVATE.

Often, matches are sabotaged in one way or another if the player on your team has this information posted. Killers will often look to see if someone is streaming just to snipe them with their PHONE. There is no easy way to prove what is occurring either. Which is why it is better to DODGE THE LOBBY and find a new one to play in if this is happening.