Benedict didn't write the Hallowed Blight journals.

Options
BSNightflow
BSNightflow Member Posts: 81

So there are two different persons in the lore:

a) Our friend Benedict Baker, presumably a journalist or detective, who embarked on a journey to investigate the Macmillan Estate missing cases in 1956. He did a thorough library research beforehand and was at least to some extent aware of what he'd get himself into. During the Lore stream Mathieu carefully put that Baker still is a valid survivor in the Entity's Realm (while Vigo no longer is). Also, it's my personal assumption that the Clown was the very first killer Baker ran into;

b) The researcher who discovered Vigo's lab and wrote the journal entries during Hallowed Blight. Seemingly they got involved in some affair in an opium den ere being pulled into the Fog. They had no idea what was going on and had to follow the only source of information they could get. Their obsession(?) with experiment and injection also comply with the image of a stereotypical drug addict. I imagine them as a 30's artist who sought relief or inspiration through medication and, maybe, would record their opium dreams for later reference? Only this time things had gone too far.

There's obvious distinction between Baker and the researcher's writing styles and even their personalities. People often refer to them as the same person, which confuses me. Did the devs confirm anything anywhere? If not, then the wiki page stating that Benedict was the one going nuts about flower serums is quite misleading.

Comments

• BSNightflow
    Options

Guess I was a bit hasty about that statement lol

I got the feeling Baker's earlier journals showed a more educated, linguistically symmetrical way of analyzing situation and expressing emotions? Like, the selection of verbs and metaphors... I'm not a native English speaker though, so I'm open to counter opinions.

Still there are other evidences. If the Hallowed Blight happened right after "Baker" entered the Realm, the time wouldn't be right (unless Baker Journal 1st Edition™ is no longer a thing) :

??? SEPTEMBER (?)

I can not explain what happened today. I awoke to find myself in this strange place. I have no memory of how I came here. My last recollection was of leaving Wetherfield and beginning my journey towards The Macmillan Estate. The last part I had to travel by foot.. A seemingly never ending fire burns next to me. I can not even tell how long I lay asleep. This area of the woods seems to have no day or night, just an intolerable gloom. Unsure what awaits me but I will keep filling this journal. Maybe with a hope to warn others.

Looking forward to the coming Archive to explain at least some of this mystery. 🙊

• BSNightflow
    Options

Also, I'm pretty sure the Blight researcher was the reason Entity launched the Endgame Collapse mechanic... Dude super toxic, teabaggin' the killers and wouldn't leave the trial for weeks until Entity itself came for them...

Wait, were they even in a trial? It was nothing like what we know in game. There seemed to be MULTIPLE monsters and NO generator.

• End_of_Slayer
    End_of_Slayer Member Posts: 144
    Options

Vigo created a lab where the Entity couldn’t reach. Allowing him to research in peace. I don’t know if the person researching the Blight was Benedict or not. Devs stated that they want to continue with the lore before anything happens with Benedict. Côté also said that they want year 4 (This game year) to be a more maritime direction for the game, as in more lore is going to get revealed about Benedict, Vigo, the Entity and this world as a whole

• BSNightflow
    Options

But it's believed that everything in the realm is made of the Entity (auric cells). How can someone use the Entity to create something the Entity couldn't reach lol

What about the monsters trying to break in... And the super suspicious "Entity is here" at the end of the journals? Does that mean Vigo's gone, the spells wearing off and the Fog's old rules regaining power over the place?

• End_of_Slayer
    Options

Seems like it. Vigo is long gone because our character in question yells for him near the end to no avail. The part where the Entity takes him in is after he leaves the lab if I’m correct. But the lab is in an area where it wasn’t able to get found. Vigo figures something out with the Auric Cells and bended them to his will, allowing him to create an area that the Entity couldn’t see. Plus I think the moon has a bigger role, our character in question looks at the moon and can feel the Entity’s presence if I remember correctly

• BSNightflow
    Options

I don't think the Lab was a safe place. The monster, if such a thing really existed, somehow sniffed it out and shattered the walls while breaking in.

Also the character should have returned to the Lab before Entity took them, as they, in despair, "feed the dead rodent under my pillow". Or maybe, it's not impossible that they always carry a dead rat and a pillow with them each time they went outdoors. 😁

• End_of_Slayer
    Options

I haven’t looked at the lore from the Blight in awhile, but if I remember correctly, the monster shattered the walls after the experiment escaped. Which means the experiment probably went back to the lab to kill the character that tortured it. As for the rat, well, it was their only friend in this world (even though it bit them.) This shows how insane our character has gotten, allowing the Entity to finally capture our character and turn them against the survivors.

• BSNightflow
    Options

I checked the wiki, things happening in chronological order:

1) Discovered the laboratory

2) Monster broke in; arm wounded, hid in the woods

3) Returned to the lab, experimented with the rodent, old wound got bitten

4) Monster returned; chained it to the cellar

5) Monster escaped after injection (and never came back again)

After that things got really weird as the character suffered sanity drain and became an unreliable narrator.

Since the Pustulas, or "Entity flowers" were blossoming everywhere, one could hardly say that the district around the Lab was undisturbed by Entity forces. It may be pretty weak around that time of the year though.

The theory about the moon is amazing. I wonder how they tell how much time passed in the endless night... maybe there was a clock...

• End_of_Slayer
    Options

It’s possible that the Entity wasn’t focused on our character, but rather on the purge going throughout its body. This would explain why the Entity never did anything and had one of its puppets attack for it.

Another thing is that it would be impossible to know exactly what day it is... unless you had just gotten taken the day before. If our character knows all of the dates for their journal, they just got taken, this would explain as to why we haven’t seen them as a killer yet, they still have more torturous training to go through. The theory so lines up, because you’ll think that time works like it doesn’t in our world at first. So every time they sleep, another day goes by. That’s why they know the dates

• BSNightflow
    Options

You mean the Entity took them in not as a survivor, but as a killer and the whole process was a training session? I don't know, we know nearly 0% of the characters past. They seemed pretty normal during their early journal entries and even showed sympathy for those "poor souls" screaming in the distance.

Make me wonder in what circumstances the Entity smelled their "murderer potential", which according to the devs is vital when the Entity decides who can work for it, for example Philip or Rin. An opium den surely is a dangerous place, lol

I used to lean toward the theory that

1) Either they were taken in as a survivor (but unfortunately never got to meet other teammates of that trial), and after the Hallowed Blight they lost all strength to fight on, accepted the coming death and became useless to the Entity so the latter grabbed them and disposed of them in the Void, where all hopeless survivors went;

2) Or they were taken in too early in time, that trials like what we see today hadn't even been designed yet: monsters roaming everywhere, no campfire, no generators or gates.

And there's this third option:

3) They had their murderer potential awakened during the misadventure, driven mad by isolation, pain and rage of being deceived (by Vigo). The monsters never bothered to attack them again, since they were now the same as them.

Pretty cool, still. Who wouldn't like a torturous mad-science-student type of killer.

• End_of_Slayer
    Options

The final theory is most likely. Our character is normal in the beginning, but slowly is driven down the path of madness. A few key points are as follows;

1) The rat bites them

2) Bite becomes infected and swells up

3) Fights the monster while blacked out and wins what should have been an impossible fight.

4) They inject themself with the serum, possibly enhancing the effects of the bite.

5) And finally, the rage of being deceived. Or were they? Vigo never got to finish his research, Côté also said that Vigo isn’t in the Entity’s realm anymore. Meaning two things; First, they found a way to escape the Entity’s world completely. Or, he got sent to the Void. Either way, the serum not letting this character escape sent him mad, which allowed the Entity to see the potential. The fury at Vigo for the misinformation, and the damaged mind from the serum, absolutely means they had to have been taken.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    Options

The devs confirmed in the Hallowed Blight stream that it was Benedict, that should be the end of such discussions.

Also, the person who wrote Benedict's original journal and the person that writes the Lore nowadays is not the same anymore, so obviously the writing style differs.

• ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502
    Options

I'm excited to get more story to tie all these pieces together. I have a feeling a lot of them will end in tears.

Also, hoping for more events in the future that may give more lore potential.

• BSNightflow
    Options

I watched the Lore stream before the event, at least part of it, and couldn't remember such confirmation. I recall they said Benedict's still a survivor, Vigo no longer is, and we may hear more from him in the coming event, etc. They didn't seem to want to spoil it (while the journal entries had already been data-mined and uploaded by fans, lol). Would you please pin the exact time that they confirmed this in the video? I'll definitely understand if you don't, but if you do you'll be doing a great favor for me and others that's interested in the Lore! <3

btw: I know you Doc! Thank you for your time and energy dedicated to the wiki!

• BSNightflow
    Options

I love the game and its unique story telling. It's troubling how many people I met (and even myself sometimes) are ignorant about the Lore as if it's completely separated from gameplay, like some secondary, dispensable ornament.

I've actually read into the quotes of the unseen characters, given them head-canon looks in fan arts, and imagined what's been happening beyond our playable characters' world. Sounds a bit silly, maybe. I know the devs are never obliged to provide with more lore, after all. It's not their first priority compared to making new DLC, establishing servers or adjusting game balance, that have-more-people-satisfied sort of thing. But I sorta like what they have been doing and are planning to do in the coming year... more Lore and events please! The text sometimes gives me the motivation to play on.

• End_of_Slayer
    Options

Don’t worry buddy, this year is the year of lore. Côté during an interview said this year was going to have a more narrative direction for the game. So we get journal entries from probably both Benedict and Vigo, cutscenes of the survivors and killers. More about the world and the Entity, it’s gonna be a good year!

• BSNightflow
    Options

Ah, sorry for spamming. I didn't realize comments containing links have to be approved first.

• BSNightflow
    Options

I used to place the Blight Researcher among the survivors (which would lead to hilarious situations if they made it finally to the campfire and others. Like, they would be the only source others learn about Vigo). Now that I think about it, their becoming a killer is also pretty cool. Check out my recent fan art, maybe...

https://selkade.tumblr.com/post/186510077168/head-canon-hallowed-blight-chapter-new-survivor

I just gave them random head-canon looks... I'm pretty okay if one day they get canon appearance differing much from my prediction. I'm actually expecting such thing to happen, I guess. Before the Halloween Event, the wiki said Vigo was a girl, and I believed so for 6 months lol

• End_of_Slayer
    Options

I see what you mean, I am sorry mods for the spam

• End_of_Slayer
    Options

Now that you say the survivors could learn about Vigo through them... it gave me an idea. I’m sticking with the theory on this character being a killer for now. But what if the Entity took them and they became the Archivist. Would explain why they have their own place, would explain why they know so much, and if this is truly Benedict Baker, it would explain why he’s in charge of an Archive. An infinite source of knowledge, a way to figure things out, that’s what he wanted.

And now that I think about it, Dave during the anniversary stream, told us that we have to figure out the Prisoner’s lore. If this year is the year of lore, this has to be a character we know. They wouldn’t give us a new character for the lore of the game. This cannot be filler, it would make total sense if this is Benedict. Could I be reading too much into this? Yes... but I can’t wait for the Archives, it’s going to be a plethora of lore to behold

• BSNightflow
    Options

Despite eager to know the recent status of the characters we are rather familiar with, I'm fine with the Archivist turning out to be neither Vigo nor Benedict. The Fog holds immense possibilities that shouldn't be limited to the current volume of the lore. I personally love to see more notes from Benedict's perspective as a survivor, so... a bit sullen about giving him away to the Entity, lol.

• End_of_Slayer
    edited July 2019
    Options

The Archivist could be a new character, but I don’t know. We’ll just have to see when the Archives come out

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    Options

I was hoping they would fall up on the Hallowed Blight lore but they've pretty much done nothing with it

I have a feeling that if the character featured in the lore does become a playable killer his gimmick will probably be that he can destroy pallets super fast

• BSNightflow
    edited August 2019
    Options

I thought the antagonist (the Monster) in the Lore was either Trapper or a reference to that unused killer concept, the Smasher.

How about instead the protagonist losing all hope and becoming a, I dunno, a killer like Herbert West from Re-animator...

Post edited by BSNightflow on
  • BSNightflow
    Options

I found this old post. Nice to see that devs continued with the Blight's concept, although I'm a bit confused by the way they design the new killer's mechanics. Looking forward to September 7th.

• BSNightflow
    Options

Welcome to the Fog Talbot.

btw 2020 in the Chinese lunar calendar is the year of the Rats. A total of 180 years have passed since 1840, when the first Opium War began. 1840 was also the year of the Rats. Makes me wonder if all of this is coincidence or the devs planned much of this ahead. Amazing.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,002
    Options

[... Insert other vigo safe place comments]

I want to raise the possibility that the entity simply allowed Vigo to do his thing and pretended to turn a blind eye, whether out of curiosity, entertainment, or perhaps the entity finds vigo's research interesting.

• BSNightflow
    Options

Yes, that's possible, since we see more and more Vigo branded items coming in game (maps, keys, blueprints etc). Lore wise these should be the stolen and tweaked copy of the original piece created by Vigo. Whether he liked it or not Vigo had become the Fog's game mechanic designer, haha.

Still, I doubt if the Entity consciously allowed all Vigo's dangerous little moves to happen. Yes, the Killers may somehow communicate with the Entity and even bargain for their own benefit (eg. Clown's Bamboozle), even a few survivors may do it (eg. Cheryl's block gen perk) but that's a thing only when Killers and Survivors want such power to better engage in trials. Vigo however constantly bent the rules and tried to stay as away from the trials as possible (his Shroud).

I believe Vigo learned the manipulation of the Fog under the purpose of escaping, if not overthrowing, the Entity and probably even ending all the trials. Much of his story is still unknown, but from the lore pieces we got, he was utterly against the Entity's nightmares, desperately seeking a way out. That's why even the Observer is interested in him (mentioned in one of the Arcus) and why Vigo is one of the few hopes we have for people in the Fog, unless one day we see him also corrupted by his power, like Talbot. Until then, Vigo would be a major threat to the Entity, the No.1 of the Entity's wanting list if it had one.

Talbot, however, we really don't know if the Entity knew about all his experiments all along, or not. This possibility may be left for fan artists and writers to explore.