Why does a missed attack disable Feral Frenzy?

Rivyn
Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

Picked up Legion again for the Bloodhound challenge. Came across a really tricky Dwight, who made me miss a few Feral Frenzy swings. Was impressed. Still, even when near a full meter, a miss knocks me out of the power.

From a balance perspective, why is this? Why doesn't a missed attack simply drain a portion, either be it a flat rate, or the four seconds of normal drain?

Comments

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

^

I think its also the fact that there was really no way to avoid getting deep wound against even the worst Legion player once they activated the power. I think the one miss is kinda ott but its better than the alternative. Still an awful killer in dire need of a full rework.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

to add counterplay. When legion was nerfed, they went wayyyyyyyyyyy too hard on them, taking a bunch of absolutely justified nerfs (on their own) and just piling all of them on to make them near useless. It was expected that this was more of a panic reaction, and that it would be temporary until they really sat down and figured out how to make the legion a more balanced killer who isn't obnoxious to play or go against, but then they were just.... forgotten.

now Legion is in a state where they're basically an M1 killer that is annoying to go against, annoying to play as, not very viable, but hey you'll pretty much always pip at least!

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698

To reward the survivor for successfully dodging a Feral Slash. A 4 second stun can be a bit harsh, but I think it's fair considering that fact that there is basically no way for a survivor to counter Feral Frenzy other than trying to dodge and hoping you miss.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

And its not the worst thing Legion have. :^)

• Zucker_Schock
    Zucker_Schock Member Posts: 565

Ah yes Legions power can really easily be abused by survivors, i do it from time to time as well. There are so many ways to d*ck them over.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425
    edited September 2020

Because survivors cried and once upon a time Legion lacked counterplay. They weren't strong mind you, still a horribly weak killer, but they had no counterplay.

So the devs hit them hard with the nerfs and never looked back. He could really use having some restrictions lifted.

Run in a straight line away from him, if you're a killer shack or more away when he starts chasing you you will get away 100% of the time. If he has both duration add-ons, about a killer shack and a half. He's really not that fast, pretty easy to avoid if you know what you're doing even a little.

Also drop a pallet on them. "Basically no way" is not even close.

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698

I meant when he's caught up to you, and dropping a pallet on him isn't exactly a viable option in most scenarios. Plus the legion could just fake out the pallet or stab through it because the lunge is extremely fast. I don't think I've ever actually been stopped by a pallet as Legion.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

he can't down you with FF. When you're injured, he's just an M1 killer. He has more counterplay with that alone than half the roster.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

Being pulled out of the power for a miss seems a bit excessive. Your idea of losing a bit of the power bar seems better to me.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651
    edited September 2020

Missed attacks interupting Feral Frenzy is fair. The original Legion could just stab the air non stop and even lunge to go further. There was no skill or counter play to that. Just keep it in mind when playing Legion and don't stab recklessly.

What is complete nonsense however is Legion losing some of their frenzy gauge when landing a basic attack. This has no purpose I can understand and simply exist to frustrate Legion players, preventing them from quickly using their power in some situations. Its not exactly a big deal, but it has no reason to be there either. Its just annoying.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited September 2020

It's a similar question to:

Why does he lose power bar on an M1?

Why is his fatigue four seconds?

Why is Deep Wounds so bad?

It's supposed to be for counter play, but the issue is he already has tons of counter play and is extremely weak, so it all went over board.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

wondering why this myself after normal atk it odd to me.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425

Your first mistake was being grouped against a legion, your second mistake was letting him catch up to you. "extremely fast" is a bit of an exaggeration, its slightly faster/longer, 15% in fact (afaik). I've stopped many legions with pallets. So your third mistake was missing the stun. Its not going to happen every time, but it is by no means a difficult task.

Considering the power is non-lethal, this is more than fair.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833

he needs a rework he is so ANNOYING to go against (but is hilarious i dont mind playing him and ANNOY others) buty why? becasue there is 0 INTERACTION, he hits you AND BYE BE GONE. thats it because he doesnt commit he is gonna try to get everyoen injured so you just do gens, till he finally decides to chase the last one who got hited by feral frenzy... and when he chases u he is a normal m1 who is not that hard but u are getting blinded but the mend effect sometimes... so you cant really see ######### wich is also annoying while the bar is going really down.

• burntFuse
    burntFuse Member Posts: 290

Old Legion's Frenzy was like Mad Grit on crack. They'd stay in frenzy after a miss and have no down time after swinging. On top of that Deep Wounds was a lot more effective and they could knock chunks off its timer by default. So you could just dive into a group and go nuts swinging at anybody and everybody. When they nerfed them, they hit them in every direction possible.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Yeah this is so stupid.

He would definetely be a good bit better if the power gauge wouldn't decrease after every successful basic attack

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789

then dont get spun its not hard

• It’s really not bad.

Say you’re in a chase with someone you’ve already hit and you want a down. You get really close and miss your attack. Instead of getting a speed boost, the survivor runs at the same speed while you go into your cool down and the chase starts with you pretty close.

Body blocking a window or a pallet? It usually takes survivors a few seconds to be sure they can’t get through so you miss your attack and while they’re checking you’re going through your fatigue. The new chase starts and ends in a few seconds.

• ScienceGirl
    ScienceGirl Member Posts: 92

Legion is my killer main and I completely understand why they suffer a slight stun after missing a FF attack. The snowball effect you can create after one successful attack can be extremely strong, especially when you’re running perks like Thanataphobia. It’s understandable that the power needs a drawback.