The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Behaviour needs to partner with streamers that may be smaller, but have built non-toxic communities

HeroDanTV
HeroDanTV Member Posts: 23
edited October 2018 in General Discussions

Hey friends -- no action needed, but needed to get this off my chest. I'm a small Twitch affiliate streamer (HeroDanTV) with around 350 followers. I'm not pulling in huge numbers of viewers, I don't do it full time as a job, but I stream Dead by Daylight at least 5 days a week. I've busted my butt to build a community of players/viewers that are non-toxic. On Tuesdays, we do SWF. Wednesdays, I play Hag to try to get to Rank 1 (I'm terrible, so that's a LOT of content lol), Thursdays I do KYF, Fridays I work with some of my more experienced players and host Dead by Daylight University so that our newer players get an early start on learning DBD skills, and on weekends I run tournaments and give away Steam gift cards and/or DLC on Steam. I'm putting a ton of time into streaming this game.

In the last survey, it appears they're now focused on toxic behavior and are looking at ways to combat it. I've seen a ton of the larger streamers being toxic, propagating toxic behavior. If you want to try to curb this stuff, reach out to streamers that have successfully built an audience of people that AREN'T toxic. Content creators that are positive, that are trying to grow in a healthy way. I heard in a live stream they're testing a pilot where they are working with a small set of streamers, but I'm guessing those are the larger ones.

If you want to change the climate/culture of the game, give streamers like me a way to officially connect and help us grow. I'm proud of the community I've built because every time I log on, I know I will never have to deal with toxicity. If we run into toxic players in the game, we just laugh it off and move on.

tl:dr - super disappointing it's impossible to work with Behaviour when you're a small streamer but you've built an incredibly fun and healthy, non-toxic audience. Give us a way to work with you to help solve the toxicity problem instead of shutting us out.

Comments

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited October 2018

@HeroDanTV Just followed you. I have a few that I follow, with the largest being only around 10k followers. I prefer the small to medium sized Streamers, to be honest. I find them more entertaining, fun to interact with, and have better communities.

Being 45-years-old, I kind of like StreamDad as well. So, yeah, I'm in on your channel.

As far as Behavior combating toxic behavior, I wish them the best of luck. Jeff Kaplan admitted that they spent a damn-well bit of time trying that in Overwatch. To the point that it delayed development on intended features in the past year. And you know what? It worked for them for all of about a month, and then all the toxicity was back again. So, Behavior it likely spitting into the wind on that endeavor. Blizzard has a hell of a lot more money to toss into that war, and can't get a win.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,908

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19925/fog-whisperers-pilot#latest

Keep an eye out for information on this, it's just in its pilot phase right now but will hopefully get extended and smaller streamers will get a chance to participate and become part of the programme.

I like StreamDad as well @Kilmeran , he's one cool guy and I like what he is doing with his channel.

• Vortexas
    Vortexas Member Posts: 757

Like StreamDad_

• The_Fallen_Utopia
    The_Fallen_Utopia Member Posts: 441
    I agree with the post.. Are the devs trying to promote toxic playstyles now? It makes no sense to me. Smaller and non toxic streamers should be promoted more. 
  • fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@HeroDanTV I saw you yesterday in the stream chat. I started following you Good Luck and I agree they may not have picked the right people to represent them.

• splatvybz
    splatvybz Member Posts: 25

Slightly irrelevant to this thread @HeroDanTV but....you should sign up to vimm.tv
    If you join the steem blockchain (all completely free) you could be earning small amounts of money from your streams.
    Little hard to go into full detail in a comment thread...but the TLDR...every user on the chain can upvote content, and every user has a monetary value for that vote.
    Some people only have a vote worth a fraction of a penny...some like myself have a vote worth about $1.75....while some huge accounts have votes worth 100's.

• Blood_Coil_Viper
    Blood_Coil_Viper Member Posts: 199
    I don't have a twitch account but I don't mind making one just to follow some smaller channels. Doubt it'll help much but every follow counts right? 
  • Kalec84
    Kalec84 Member Posts: 495

Yeah i agree, small streamers are the best, ppl should follow them absolutely and help non toxic behavior u_u
    Saying that absolutely not because i'm one of them....
    I swear 8-)

• HeroDanTV
    edited October 2018

Everyone, thank you so much for the follows -- if you've joined us, welcome to the Hero crew :)

only1biggs -- apologies if I came off as calling anyone on the list already toxic. In my original post, I didn't know about this program and was referencing some of the largest streamers on Twitch, not the list. I believe everyone already selected IS positive! I knew most of them already, and checked out the rest. I wasn't implying that different people should be chosen, I'm happy for them. ^.^ My only remaining point is that there should be more representation from smaller streamers in the pilot. They've hit the enormously large communities, and the medium range (around 40k followers). There's only one person in the pilot with less than 4000 followers. At every level of Twitch community, the interactions are different. At my level, I work to build a bond with every user in the channel (and I have that luxury because I have less than 400 followers).

I hope this clears things up -- I won't mention the streamers I had in mind in the original post before I saw the list of streamers and knew about the pilot, but it wasn't anyone on the list already. I think the people that got selected are fostering the kind of attitude we need to showcase to transform the toxicity. I just wish a few more streamers with smaller communities (like mine) could have been part of the pilot because our interactions are different than people with 40k and 400k followers. I started streaming last May, and my community IS growing crazy fast (for me, at least). I'd rather build it while working closely with Behaviour from the start of this pilot, though.

• Jonathanskilz
    Jonathanskilz Member Posts: 403

Tbh being a streamer on dbd and not being toxic is booring and rare

• Blood_Coil_Viper

Tbh being a streamer on dbd and not being toxic is booring and rare

I know a few non toxic streamers who I'd watch way more then the toxic fools. It's not rare you just haven't looked. 
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Non-toxic dbd community...wish that was true...but it'll never happen. Maybe when the playerbase reaches Deathgarden's...The game itself promotes toxicity with game modes like swf, some of the in-game features and broken matchmaking.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@HellDescent said:
    Non-toxic dbd community...wish that was true...but it'll never happen. Maybe when the playerbase reaches Deathgarden's...The game itself promotes toxicity with game modes like swf, some of the in-game features and broken matchmaking.

It's more than that. Overwatch, Paladins, HoTS, any of the other PvP games I've played . . . not having a toxic community is like finding a unicorn. Ain't gonna happen. It's just the nature of the beast when you have games whose sole focus is pitting one human against another.

Good or bad, DBD has about the same level of toxicity that I found throughout my three previous games: Paladins, HoTS, and (my main until I came to DBD) Overwatch. I've found DBD to just be par for the course as far as its toxicity levels.

Even here at the forums: The calls for nerfs and buffs, survivor main vs killer main, it's the same. I regularly post at the Overwatch forums. And over there it's all nerf and buff cries. This hero vs that hero. If you want a tank or healer nerfed you're automatically a "DPS main" or a "Genji Main." Casuals vs Tryhards. The SR ranking system being broken. Leavers and throwers in matches.

Different names between the two games, but you could cut-and-paste a majority of the DBD complaints right to the Overwatch or HoTS forums, and vice versa.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

@Kilmeran Not really. You'd think games like mortal kombat and injustice would have toxicity, but the only messages I get are gg or wp due to the game being equally balanced and fair for both sides. DBD is toxic by nature, it started out this way and I doubt anything is gonna change it.

• Kilmeran

@HellDescent Good point. I was thinking more of the Shooters and MOBAs, and totally forgot to consider the fighting games.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962
    I wish they looked at YouTubers who mainly do videos also instead of just streamers.

Monto would probably be a great ambassador for this program but he doesn't stream to my knowledge... And of course I'd apply too ;)
  • Blood_Coil_Viper
    edited October 2018
    I wish they looked at YouTubers who mainly do videos also instead of just streamers.

Monto would probably be a great ambassador for this program but he doesn't stream to my knowledge... And of course I'd apply too ;)
    I'd probably apply as well but no one would want to watch a mediocre killer main who constantly forgets the max range of lunges lol. I need to practice alot still. Ok I'm joking I actually am pretty decent at the game. It's just whenever I record I swear I make more mistakes. 
  • HeroDanTV

I'd also personally recommend SpaceCoconut. Fantastic non-toxic player, incredibly knowledgeable on Hag -- he's how I learned to play. :)

• pauloandrade22
    pauloandrade22 Member Posts: 697

@HeroDanTV said:
    Hey friends -- no action needed, but needed to get this off my chest. I'm a small Twitch affiliate streamer (HeroDanTV) with around 350 followers. I'm not pulling in huge numbers of viewers, I don't do it full time as a job, but I stream Dead by Daylight at least 5 days a week. I've busted my butt to build a community of players/viewers that are non-toxic. On Tuesdays, we do SWF. Wednesdays, I play Hag to try to get to Rank 1 (I'm terrible, so that's a LOT of content lol), Thursdays I do KYF, Fridays I work with some of my more experienced players and host Dead by Daylight University so that our newer players get an early start on learning DBD skills, and on weekends I run tournaments and give away Steam gift cards and/or DLC on Steam. I'm putting a ton of time into streaming this game.

In the last survey, it appears they're now focused on toxic behavior and are looking at ways to combat it. I've seen a ton of the larger streamers being toxic, propagating toxic behavior. If you want to try to curb this stuff, reach out to streamers that have successfully built an audience of people that AREN'T toxic. Content creators that are positive, that are trying to grow in a healthy way. I heard in a live stream they're testing a pilot where they are working with a small set of streamers, but I'm guessing those are the larger ones.

If you want to change the climate/culture of the game, give streamers like me a way to officially connect and help us grow. I'm proud of the community I've built because every time I log on, I know I will never have to deal with toxicity. If we run into toxic players in the game, we just laugh it off and move on.

tl:dr - super disappointing it's impossible to work with Behaviour when you're a small streamer but you've built an incredibly fun and healthy, non-toxic audience. Give us a way to work with you to help solve the toxicity problem instead of shutting us out.

Since im a lasy person can you link me your twich channel and il see what you offer if you dont mind?

• pauloandrade22

@HeroDanTV said:
    I'd also personally recommend SpaceCoconut. Fantastic non-toxic player, incredibly knowledgeable on Hag -- he's how I learned to play. :)

Same.

• pauloandrade22

@SpaceCoconut said:

Monto is very toxic so no thank you.

• ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771

@Kilmeran Not really. You'd think games like mortal kombat and injustice would have toxicity, but the only messages I get are gg or wp due to the game being equally balanced and fair for both sides. DBD is toxic by nature, it started out this way and I doubt anything is gonna change it.

As a former Reptile and Triborg main i disagree, i met quite the amount of salt there.
  • Gunmech04
    Gunmech04 Member Posts: 77

I completely agree with this. My friend Kurt_Vaulkner and myself try and stream daily. Saturday we streamed for 7 hours. Today is Drunk by Daylight. WE have a small group of people who come watch us on Sundays because it is pretty funny. But I do think BE needs to partner up with some of the smaller streamers who aren't completely toxic to everyone. If anyone wants to come watch, we start at 5pm central time and stream till we get to drunk to do anything else. Our Twitch names are Twitch.tv/Kurt_vaulkner Mine is Twitch.tv/Gunmech04 But I do hope that the devs take note of some of the smaller streamers who play this game for fun, not to be a toxic camping, looping asshate

• ThisNotIt
    ThisNotIt Member Posts: 28
    So basically this is just a thread of you promoting yourself to be sponsored by them. Great thread. 

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@ThisNotIt said:
    So basically this is just a thread of you promoting yourself to be sponsored by them. Great thread. 

Finally, someone said it.

• HeroDanTV

No, the point of this thread is to point out that I hope Behaviour starts partnering with smaller streamers. The pilot linked above is a great start, but still doesn't have representation at the smaller streamer level. I believe they're doing the right thing by opening the door for streamer connections, but there's still a gap. I would absolutely love to be a bigger part of the solution when it comes to fostering less toxicity in the community than what I'm doing now.

• ThisNotIt
    ThisNotIt Member Posts: 28
    Nah your first paragraph was you bigging yourself up and making yourself sound different than other streamers and your 3rd paragraph is you begging for them to give you a chance. I don't know why you think you'd be different than other streamers in terms of not having a toxic community but it's really pathetic
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

I mean fogstreamer deranking by DCing to bully low ranks within a SWF completely fine.
    Admiting on stream to use MLGA? Totally fine, BVHR think that those kind of streamers shoudl be supported

It just shows me what BHVR actually cares about and what direction the game is taking

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526
    edited October 2018

@DeadByFlashlight said:
    I mean fogstreamer deranking by DCing to bully low ranks within a SWF completely fine.
    Admiting on stream to use MLGA? Totally fine, BVHR think that those kind of streamers shoudl be supported

It just shows me what BHVR actually cares about and what direction the game is taking

and you derank yourself anyway so you're not exactly an advocate against these practices, lmfao, it's only ok if you do it, clearly.

I don't agree with deranking, but nowhere have BHVR explicitly banned users from using MLGA it's a "use at your own risk", stop looking for issues where there aren't any.

• only1biggs
    only1biggs Member Posts: 1,178

@Kilmeran said:
    @HellDescent Good point. I was thinking more of the Shooters and MOBAs, and totally forgot to consider the fighting games.

Because you're talking about different games.

It occurred to me..how long has this ""toxic community" thing, been a thing. Since this started (calling banter or ######### talk toxic), it's all you hear about. Crybabies everywhere. It's obvious what is and what is not acceptable, but it's just a whole different thing these days.

• only1biggs

@HeroDanTV said:
    No, the point of this thread is to point out that I hope Behaviour starts partnering with smaller streamers. The pilot linked above is a great start, but still doesn't have representation at the smaller streamer level. I believe they're doing the right thing by opening the door for streamer connections, but there's still a gap. I would absolutely love to be a bigger part of the solution when it comes to fostering less toxicity in the community than what I'm doing now.

They will expand the program in time, but to make even smaller streamers part of the pilot launch, would be counter productive.

• Kilmeran

@only1biggs said:

@HeroDanTV said:

They will expand the program in time, but to make even smaller streamers part of the pilot launch, would be counter productive.

This forum is #########. Why did it send me a notification that you mentioned me in a reply, when you didn't and replied to someone else entirely?

• only1biggs

@Kilmeran said:

This forum is #########. Why did it send me a notification that you mentioned me in a reply, when you didn't and replied to someone else entirely?

Yeah, sorry I guess? LOL

• Jesya
    Jesya Member Posts: 1,101

hey I tried to watch your stream but the sound was unbearable. You need to tinker with your mic settings so it doesn't sound so harsh.

• Kilmeran

@Vortexas said:
    Like StreamDad_

He's my favorite of all the streamers, and the first ever Twitch Streamer that I plan to pay for a subscription to.

• Kilmeran
    edited October 2018

@only1biggs said:

@Kilmeran said:

Because you're talking about different games.

It occurred to me..how long has this ""toxic community" thing, been a thing. Since this started (calling banter or ######### talk toxic), it's all you hear about. Crybabies everywhere. It's obvious what is and what is not acceptable, but it's just a whole different thing these days.

Oh, I agree with you completely. I'm 45-years-old. What people call toxic today just baffles my mind. I was merely referencing the way the communities are viewed. Hell, Vanilla WoW was called toxic back in the day, but I was just: /shrug.

Maybe I just grew-up in a different era, where people didn't get all spastic at the smallest slight. We fired back. Then when it got boring, moved on with life.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

@SpaceCoconut said:

Monto is very toxic so no thank you.

How so?
  • Sandt21
    Sandt21 Member Posts: 761
    I hope they work with TrueTalent and Monto, but small streamers need some love too
  • Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    edited October 2018
    I watch people like psychoscorpionz, vooooshy and alexisplaying for good non toxic gameplay. Toxic people want to watch toxic gameplay and most popular streamers provide that.

Go watch any popular survi stream and what you find? Swf and flashlight macros.