Can you get banned for lagging?

Options
Malkhrim
Malkhrim Member Posts: 935
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

Before I start, I must say I recently moved to a different place, and my bedroom, where I play the game, is a bit far from the wi-fi router, what I feared would raise the ping too much. However, It hadn't happened so far. I played a few trials as killer and many as survivor on the latest days, and I wasn't even bothered by lag. So I didn't move my PC.

However, minutes ago I had my first match of the day, and it wasn't playable at all. I was playing as Demogorgon and the map was Hawkins. At the lobby, the ping was green the last time I checked, but at the trial I had INSANE rollbacks due to lag. Every few seconds I would be sent back to where I was a few seconds ago, and on Hawkins that means I was suddenly on a different room or corridor and facing a different direction. I could barely charge my pounce, and sometimes holding m2 wouldn't do anything at all. From time to time, survivors would appear to be "running in place" to me, and suddenly either they would disappear and appear in a different location, or I would just rollback to where I was before their animation locked. I was also struggling to break pallets or damage generators, because it just wouldn't start when I held spacebar. It was the worst lag I ever experienced in this game.

My first reaction was "okay, better move closer to the router before trying any other match". However, I was surprised for being accused of using hacks in the endgame lobby. I explained I was lagging and couldn't even walk without rolling back (Obs: I had landed a few hits on them, but couldn't down them not even once. I couldn't stay in a chase for more than a few seconds before being sent to a different place. It was hell). The player just said he would report me and added "say hello to Twitch". He had no "t.tv" in name, I don't know how my movement looked for him.

I'm not a new player. I have over 1500 hours of gameplay and of course it's not the first time I see some player confuse lagging with hacking (EDIT: specially before dedicated servers, when killer connection affected everyone's ping), and I always stayed cool about it. I've encountered lagging killers myself many times before and after dedicated servers and I know sometimes they look to be teleporting. But hell, it was happening more frequently than ever this time, I really felt I was being teleported back every few seconds and I couldn't even trust what I was seeing at the moment, but my hits were being validated and injuring them anyway when I could finally get close to someone. My only worry is: can the devs always know who is cheating and who is lagging in a video? There is no chance at all I get punished by mistake?

Comments

• Galklife
    Galklife Member Posts: 726
    Options

i doubt you would get banned for horrible ping unless its "lag" that makes you down 3 survivors in split second (i had that kind of "killers" about 6 times in 300h since dedicated servers)

• GhostMaceNotCrusty
    Options

I have actually gotten a few downs cuz I lag thru a pallet after I got stunned, and I was once banned from a minecraft server for lagging

• BOT_Ethan
    BOT_Ethan Member Posts: 29
    Options

Met killers teleporting both forward and backward. I think it's another bug caused by hotfix which only happens for crossplay. I had regular games 2 days ago and when I was doubting if my wifi router was not working fine, I had perfect game experience in a 5PC lobby I occasionally met. Only 3 games as my evidence, so it's also possibly a server-issue we all met. And I don't think you will be banned for being laggy.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 935
    Options

Maybe. I thought about that, but then I looked on the forums and saw no similar issues to mine. Or at least I hadn't until I saw your comment.

But I just tested another game and noticed it is a bit laggy too, not as much as DBD, not unplayable and full of rollbacks, but is lagging too, so looks like my connection still has something to do with it. Still, I had green ping in lobby, wich I don't understand.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I played as killer yesterday. There was a Lisa who run no mither + soulguard to prevent slugging. When I tried to hook her i stuck in hooking animation. I couldn't hook her, I couldn't drop her. Only way to punish this kind of scum is slugging but she runs anti-slug combo. Obviously she turn on lags on purpose. I reported her.

• BOT_Ethan
    BOT_Ethan Member Posts: 29
    Options

This is a bug that has been reported a lot since the new patch and I don't know if today's hotfix has fixed that.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I'm aware about bug but that was different. You may solve the bug by drop survivor and pick up again. I couldn't drop her and I couldn't move. The rest of survivors swarm around and blind me, it didn't cause escape from grasp. They even saboed the hook and i still stuck.