What is the reason to play fair as killer?

BaldursGate2
BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

None. I have so many occasions where i did not tunnel / camp and they just made up a story how i tunneled or still t-bag at the exit gates.

Why should anyone bother to not suck out the fun for survivors in every game? Behaviour doesn't ban people for something like that, so you wanna risk to play "fair" and still get t-bagged or eZ gg at the end?

The toxic cycle will continue until this unsportsmanlike behaviour will be punished.

/EDIT

Yeah, but it's only a game, don't get tilted. Oh it's only a sport, don't bother the winner didn't shake your hand or spit in your face. Thanks.

Comments

• StereoHEAD43
    StereoHEAD43 Member Posts: 53

You can do whatever but know camping and tunneling just leads to survivors finishing gens faster. Mori however, is just broken since it makes the game 1v3 and so on whenever the killer wishes. However in red ranks where survivors are super efficient, it's not that bad to camp/tunnel a bit. Doing too much leads to survivors teabagging at the gate (probably)

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

So, no reason to play fair as survivor either?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,442
  • gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

I've had multiple 12 hook games in recent memory where I've been called a tunneler or camper. Thats including that I dont double hook a survivor if I have the upper hand.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I play the way I'd want people to play against me. *shrug*

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

For me my "niceness" is just a natural side effect of me playing how I personally want to play. I just want to chase people as that's what I find the most fun, and it's kinda hard to camp or tunnel someone while I'm chasing someone far away from the hook. Sure I could win more often and "harder" by playing differently, but I have more fun playing my way and that's what I'm personally looking for from DBD. I don't blame anyone else for playing how they want, and I expect nothing more or less in return.

Play however you want, just don't cheat or be a hypocrite. Anyone that plays "hard" to win and then starts crying when their opponent(s) do the same are pathetic and saying they get no sympathy from me is an understatement.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

Exactly. Play Hard is fine as long you aren't a hypocrite about it when they do the same.

• FrootLoops
    FrootLoops Member Posts: 376

my 2 cents is I play fair because it is way too stressful to do otherwise. I have a job and responsibilities enough as it is and when I play a game I want it to be fun and chill for me. what do I care if some person i have never and will never meet uses the crouch button too much or makes use of the things available in game? if they want to whine about how they lost or tell me they think I suck because of a 5 minute interaction whatever. I don't have to read it and I certainly don't have to react to it

TLDR; It's a GAME and it's YOUR time to do whatever you want. Don't waste it just because someone you've never met cries

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

People like you in the playerbase make me extremely uncomfortable to play this game.

@ OP: The reason for playing nice is because it's a game--and it's a game where rank doesn't matter. In fact, the higher you go in rank, the worse the game is, so you might as well just do things to have fun with it. Personally unless I'm doing a tome challenge, I always mess around and meme a bit in my matches.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

If you can play a straight and fair game, and still win, that says more about you as a player than if you decide to go completely underhanded with "tactics" like camping a d tunnelling.

Break the cycle, help to end the war.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

"All cruelty springs from weakness."

-Seneca (Roman Philosopher)

"The time is always right to do what is right."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Or as they say: "be the change you want to see in the world". Break the cycle and be the bigger person.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

As soon as devs get rid of Unbreakable/DS activation in the endgame. That's the only thing that is incredibly frustrating.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

You can play fair as Killer after you're Rank 1 and Pips don't matter so much anymore just bloodpoints

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

So the OP had a bad match and in a passive, indirect way communicated that. Common thing to do would be to play you’re next game and “punish” 4 new people for the behavior of the previous team. This mentality is rampant in the world, for much more important things, unfortunately

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

Can't be more true. They always trash you for everything you do

• BabyDweetMain
    BabyDweetMain Member Posts: 434

Tbh for the longest time I didn't know tbagging was toxic, I thought I was just giving the killer a lil butt dance. Now I either crouch and swirl my character left and right while staring up or go disco crazy with a flashlight. I just like entertaining killers before the match ends so they don't feel bad.

• PigMainClaudette

If you allow yourself to get into that position, then that's on YOU.

It's just a game and ranks don't mean anything. Take the L and move on.

• Jholla31
    Jholla31 Member Posts: 253

You should play fair because this is a game and people play it to have fun. Granted, sometimes I like going hardcore mode as killer. Bring OP addons and a pink mori and such. But those games are few and far between.

The only time I act "toxic" as a killer is if survivors act toxic first, and I always make sure I only "punish" individuals, not a team. I can't blame Meg because Claudette teabagged and clicked her flashlight 7492 times at me, etc.

If you're good enough as a killer, unless you go against a 4 man sweat squad with 10k+ hours, "toxic" survivors will usually start respecting you halfway through the trial, when they realize you can actually punish their arrogance.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,469

Some killers can't do that, neither can some survivors, having played both sides it's very equal treatment.

• PigMainClaudette

I've been there too. I play both sides as well.

If I get DS'd, I might get annoyed since I never tunnel anyone. But that's where it ends. I'm even GLAD to eat it if they run straight at me since it's no longer a problem.

I do, though, feel sorry for the killers that have these perks abused against them without provocation. It does suck and brings down the community.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

I do really not care about DS so much, but someone that has to blind me at every dropped pallet is so annoying that i really want to camp this guy.

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2020

play as you want tbh (people will complain no matter how you play).

Be nice cuz you want to be nice i see many survivor behaving like its a given that a killer play has to be nice... but if you see nice survivor give em the hatch

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

A good chunk of what the so called "rulebook" consists of wishful thinking formed into rules to deter Killers from playing better.

It has worked on a lot of people, including me. The most entitled, douchey troll survivor mains try to enforce them.

Of course they aren´t the majority of players but it seems a decent number of players will consider everything "tunneling", camping or toxic.

There´s certainly an equivalent among the Killer main community that consider looping and flashlights toxic...LMAO.

Paulie Esther has the best stance on that imo - whatever the game provides is fair game. He won´t go snowflake crybaby mode if he gets camped, "tunneled" or the Killer brings a strong addon.

If the tables were turned it would be so hillarious. Just like in Saminations vid, if there were rules the survivors had to play by, making their performance worse, the people suggesting it would be laughed at. Yet it seems acceptable to a lot of people to try and shame Killers into going "easy" on them despite the fact that all but a handful of Killers are fighting an uphill battle.

I´d have some for chuckles though:

1) work on a generator a little bit but never tunnel it out of the game too quickly. Complete it halfway, then move across the map and halfway complete another generator.

2) Don´t camp gens. If the Killer kicked it, let it fully regress, or Killers will flood the forums, begging for anti camping mechanics.

3) never press the crouch button

4) never bring items or strong perks

5) never use x/y survivor model

6) never play SWF

It´s total BS of course, just like any "rule" Survivors have for Killers. It isn´t the Killers job to provide an easy, fun match.

Mind you I very rarely "camp" or "tunnel", this helps not getting hit with DS. The only time I "facecamp" (since it doesn´t actually exist anymore) is once in a blue moon when I´m heavily under the influence and play Bubba. They often get their saves off anyway since I´m too busy laughing my hat off while standing there, intentionally very badly hidden behind a tree or bush with insidious.

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

Same could be said to anyone that is tunneled down. Take the L and move on?

You want people to get rid of DS before the game end stage, they will slam you down and pick you up after a hook, to put you back on it... aren't you now just telling people to tunnel to get rid of your perk charges or accept the consequences.

Killers should play for their own enjoyment, survivors tend to focus on their gameplan and use all the meta perks. There is nothing wrong with a killer doing the same: tunneling, slugging, proxy camping or 3 gen camping if it is in your benefit to do so... go for it.

• Bullettimegod
    Bullettimegod Member Posts: 994

I mean i got told i was camping a gen. Fk playing fair. Thats the difference between winning and losing

• PigMainClaudette

I never have DS/UB issues. I also despise tunnelling.

Why do I never have those issues? Well, Pig's RBT's help dramatically and my playstyle revolves around going after a new person always, and occasionally slugging for stall.

I also mean what I say and that's that. DON'T put words in my mouth like that. I get it enough from everyone else on here.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I play for fun, not for 4k.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I commented on this earlier, and I guess I'm going to comment again. All anyone has to do to play "fair" is:

1. Do not use hacks or lag spikes.
    2. Do not disconnect; if you start a game finish it.
    3. Do not abuse a bug or exploit.

*That's it. Ideally, I would add 4. Be humble in victory, and gracious in defeat, but those have nothing to do with fairness. They are simply good sportsmanship and common courtesy. Disregard anyone who tells you there is a list of unofficial rules you have to follow; you don't. Ignore anyone calling you toxic because it means NOTHING nowadays. People abusing the term has made it meaningless. Play hard, don't cheat, be polite. That is all you have to do.

• Kalinikta

The goal of a killer is to hunt and kill the survivors. There are cases where I tunnel someone, simply because they keep presenting themselves to me and their savior does it in my face. There is a huge incentive for making the game a 3v1, as it makes it a lot easier.

I don't see people go against survivors calling them toxic for completing 5 generators before the killer gets multiple hooks on different targets or a kill. You think it is fun being chasing a guy for 30 or 40 seconds and having 3 gens pop for the killer? 0 hooks, 2/5 gens left...

Frankly, I don't get why the players going for their objective of killing other players is toxic. It is a strong tactic if used in the correct situation, sure there are moments that it is not in the killers best interest... but then they lose the game if the team plays smart.

If your team is saving you in the face of the killer, why wouldn't they go for you?

If your team saves you and hides and you are the first person found, why wouldn't they go for you?

If you choose to heal in the face of the killer why wouldn't they go for the injured person?

If a killer is supposed to be responsible for triggering DS before the end game, why would they not tunnel you to get that out of the way and take the hit?

If you and your team provides the opportunity to easily take out one player from the match why shouldn't a killer do so? Isn't it the responsibility for the survivors to keep each other safe?

Take the L and move on? That is the message to killers when they have to deal with survivors tactics, meta perks and such. Why is this an one way street? The fact that you cannot handle it when you get killed doesn't make it toxic.

I don't think a killer should aim for a 1k and use any means necessary to get that, but slug, tunnel, 3 gen, basement camp... if it gets you the 3k or 4k and the win how are these things any different than survivors 5 gen rushing and escaping with 3 or 4 with a DS save at the end?

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

No matter how you play as killer there will be someone on the other side complaining.

So long as you play by their rules you'll never win

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789

and thus the cycle repeats

• aregularplayer
    aregularplayer Member Posts: 906

There is ZERO reason. Don't get me wrong, I'm a survivor main, but I play a lot killer and I do know that playing fairly is the easiest way to either being gen rushed or being called a camper/tuneller anyways.

There is NOTHING a killer can do that satisfies all 4 survivors. There will always be that one survivor that thinks you made something HORRIBLE and you deserve to be called a pos. Even if you got gen rushed, 4 escapes 0 hooks. Even in this scenario there will be someone to call you a baby killer and send EZ.

That said, what is playing fairly? I'll not be facecamping or bs like that, but if I go 20 m away and somebody unhook you, you better run for your life. ~hur dur u tunel m3~ Yeah, whatever.

• Kalinikta

You stated it is the killers responsiblity to deal with DS? Just take the loss?

If the survivors present an opportunity to down the same guy again I am not going to say no. I enjoy trying to win the game, I have to deal with survivors stabbing me in the late game, I have to deal with people slamming gens while I chase a guy for 40 seconds... I am not trying to ruin peoples game, I am trying to play my own and trying to win.. it is just a game and people like winning in them? If it isn't toxic for them to go for the most effective way to win, to use DS and such to escape, why is it toxic for me to try and use all the tactics available to me to win?

I am new, I have a limited perks, I am outclassed often enough and totally destroyed in games... yet I don't see the other end give me hooks or kills when they complete 5 gens and all I was able to do was hurt and hit some guys. The red and purple ranks hitting me with their best tactics, slamming gens, running circles with me and with their meta perks... I don't think that they are toxic, but when I use all the tools I have as a killer to try and win... I am toxic.

Isn't my responsibility to deal with DS not exactly the same as putting the responsibility of dealing with tunneling on the survivors?

They can win if I use it in bad situations, they can not unhook people in my face without borrowed time, they can not hide after an unhook and the only guy I find is the one I hooked before, they could present me with another survivor to chase before unhooking.... yeah I tunnel when it seems like my best course of action. Just letting them disappear and hide again seems like a bad move. I leave the hook after I got them on it, I go and kick that gen, I go try and find someone new to chase... but I am not going to be the Nobel noob that just loses because imagine if the other guy didn't have a fun time.

You are here showcasing why a killer should just do them, DS is my responsibility to deal with in the end game... then my tunneling should be the survivors responsibility to deal with, btw. If you try and body block me... I will still hit you, it isn't like I mindlessly chase one person... my goal is to win and there isn't anything toxic about it.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

The fairer you play and still win, the better a killer you are.

Fair play = skill.

Literally any killer can camp, or tunnel, or use NOED, or a mori, to get easy kills. I put on a mori and it's like I don't even have to try to win honestly. All I need is to find 1 survivor I already hooked before they get to 3 gens and I basically win the game. I don't even need to mori the rest.

If you play fair though the game is significantly more difficult. Obviously you can't play completely fair in every situation, but the more fair you can play and still win shows you are a good player.

TrueTalent focuses on hooks over kills, because he says it takes more skill to play that way and I agree. A killer that can do that and still get 3k/4k is a really good killer.

• bhindi
    bhindi Member Posts: 5

I had people body blocking me in a match. After it was over apparently I was the toxic one for hitting them. I mean at the point there are 2-3 people actively trying to block you from hooking it seems ridiculous to call someone a camper for staying in the area.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Is this a joke? Tru3 calls all people swf bullysquads as soon as a flashlight has been used. Also he will ignore people for the sake of tunneling others out of the game. As soon as something doesn't go according to plan or he makes some mistakes it is either "power role" or whatever it is never the wrong choice of him even when he uses exploits like I've seen a video of him where he placed beartraps in places where they clipped through the ground, laughing his ass off only to complain when he got hit with ds. Pls.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,822

I think it's true that there are some people who just want to say mean stuff in the chat and they'll say mean stuff in the chat no matter what you do. If you win, they say mean stuff about how you won. If you lose, they say mean stuff about how you lost. There's literally no game you could play that would satisfy those people because they're angry about stuff that has nothing to do with the game, and they're just using the game as an excuse to yell at a stranger.

It's also true that reasonable people can disagree about what is or isn't fair play in a video game -- though they shouldn't express that disagreement in an abusive way.

I think you're setting yourself up to feel bad if your goal is that everybody else has to be happy with the way you played. I think you have to be happy with the way you played, and base your assessment on something other than strangers' opinions.

• piggypablo
    piggypablo Member Posts: 102

There should be a sticky keys equivalent where if you crouch too many times in a row, the entity spikes your ass.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

I'm just talking specifically about his opinion that getting hooks shows more skill than getting kills.

It is honestly not hard to get 4 kills.

It is pretty hard to get 4k kills and 12 hooks.

My point is that playing fair and winning shows you are a more skillful killer.

• PigMainClaudette

I do enjoy doing well and winning too, but the point is that winning isn't everything. Slugging is also just a good way to apply some pressure in earlier parts of the game, but I wouldn't leave any more than one person on the ground.

If you're new, it all about learning strategies on how to deal with anything the game throws at you. And until otherwise, I assume that everyone has had decent experience with the game until I see a post stating otherwise. Think of it as trying to look at things with a neutral view. When I said that "endgame DS is on you" I meant that as a killer, you essentially let it get to that point. Again, I know you're new now and even then those situations aren't in your control a fair bit of the time, but even still. You CAN control how long people eat dirt and even try to lead them between exit gates.

BTW killers require a lot of each other's perks and which ones are you using currently?