The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Killer shortage on console?

Has anyone been noticing a killer shortage on console (Specifically xbox one) when playing survivor? Especially in high ranks, I would queue up and be in queue for a good 10 minutes before I find a match and I'm in purple ranks. I've noticed the queue times get longer or shorter depending on the time of day.

Comments

• SovererignKing
    SovererignKing Member Posts: 1,273
    Yeah, that’s normal. I get games instantly as Rank 1 Killer, but end up waiting 3-5 minutes for any game as Survivor.

This is for a quite a few reasons :

1. Console has many more SWF groups that are 3 and 4 man groups due to the ease of chat invites and ease of inviting friends. This makes getting matches take longer for solo Survivors in the case of many ore 4 man pre-mades. As well as two man pre-mades taking longer to get a match.

2. Killer is harder to play on console due to FPS drops, more restrictive controls with a controller. Also that Survivor is easier to play with a controller. This makes playing Killer even more difficult and frustrating. Most console Killers either can’t cope with these handicap restrictions on them and end up loosing more often, making it so they can’t reach higher ranks, or find it so stressful and annoying they don’t bother to even play Killer.

3. Console is more of a “party” system. People play more to have fun with friends on console than PC, thus are more likely to play SWF and Survivor than Killer. 

4. Game is still imbalanced in favor of the Survivors. Player don’t want to play Killer because it’s too hard and they would rather have easier games on Survivor. 

This all contributes to a much larger deficit of Killers on console, specifically high rank Killers. The higher difficulty of playing Killer on console with a controller also leads to higher amounts of camping and tunneling Killers. Just have to take it with a grains of salt (no pun intended) I’m afraid.
  • SuperPrincessChaser
    SuperPrincessChaser Member Posts: 107

Me and my friends have trouble finding Killers too. You think people would be lining up to Kill us, we suck at this game. It's free kills, money in the bank.

• AgentTalon
    AgentTalon Member Posts: 331
    I'm a killer main who started playing after it dropped free and I just made it to rank 7 and I'm tempted to stop playing as the killer. 

I have to deal with groups of 3+ SWF all chatting on party, loaded with instant heal kits and DS on everyone. Add in that I just had to play on the same map 4 times in a row and that all the high level game is boils down to is loops and it's not a good time for the killer. Being I don't have all the good perks unlocked and teachable I'm basically against fully loaded survivor groups with trash base perks. Not fun. 
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

@AyDoggie said:
    Has anyone been noticing a killer shortage on console (Specifically xbox one) when playing survivor? Especially in high ranks, I would queue up and be in queue for a good 10 minutes before I find a match and I'm in purple ranks. I've noticed the queue times get longer or shorter depending on the time of day.

The spirit hype and the BP event are over now.
    on console the situation is even worse because killers have it a lot harder due to fps and controller aim, I wouldnt play killer on console either tbh.

Ofc you can switch to killer, btu then you have to go through this on your own, not sure whether you like that :wink:

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

@AyDoggie said:

The spirit hype and the BP event are over now.
    on console the situation is even worse because killers have it a lot harder due to fps and controller aim, I wouldnt play killer on console either tbh.

Ofc you can switch to killer, btu then you have to go through this on your own, not sure whether you like that :wink:

Yeah I hope the console optimization patch will improve fps to playable
  • Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775

@AgentTalon said:
    I'm a killer main who started playing after it dropped free and I just made it to rank 7 and I'm tempted to stop playing as the killer. 

I have to deal with groups of 3+ SWF all chatting on party, loaded with instant heal kits and DS on everyone. Add in that I just had to play on the same map 4 times in a row and that all the high level game is boils down to is loops and it's not a good time for the killer. Being I don't have all the good perks unlocked and teachable I'm basically against fully loaded survivor groups with trash base perks. Not fun. 

I was in your shoes until I just started lobby dodging certain groups. I.E. when 3+ people appear at the same time. It fely lousy of me at first, but now that I'm jaded, and know that they wouldn't give a damn about me, and my fun it's pretty easy.

It doesn't stop them from connecting later if they appear individually, but it helps the game go in what I feel is the spirit of the game. It doesn't cure all the ails, but it certainly helps.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

@SovererignKing said:
    1. Console has many more SWF groups that are 3 and 4 man groups due to the ease of chat invites and ease of inviting friends. This makes getting matches take longer for solo Survivors in the case of many ore 4 man pre-mades. As well as two man pre-mades taking longer to get a match.

I had the complete opposite experience. When I'm solo, it takes me less than a minute to find a game. When I'm in a group of 3 or 4, it takes AGES to find a game.

• thesuicidefox

@DeadByFlashlight said:

FPS is a legit issue on console, but aiming with a controller isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. The only killers it would even remotely affect are Nurse and Huntress, it's literally a non-issue for everyone else. And if you have been playing console shooters for 20+ years as I have, aiming with a controller is quite easy. Hell, I turn off aim assists in games that let me and I have absolutely no trouble sniping or anything. PC players always make it seem like its hard to aim at stuff with a controller, and while a mouse is indeed better for that purpose you can still have excellent aim with a stick.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

@DeadByFlashlight said:

FPS is a legit issue on console, but aiming with a controller isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. The only killers it would even remotely affect are Nurse and Huntress, it's literally a non-issue for everyone else. And if you have been playing console shooters for 20+ years as I have, aiming with a controller is quite easy. Hell, I turn off aim assists in games that let me and I have absolutely no trouble sniping or anything. PC players always make it seem like its hard to aim at stuff with a controller, and while a mouse is indeed better for that purpose you can still have excellent aim with a stick.

In regards to using a controller, more is affected than just aim. Your turning speed is limited, and anything that involves changing directions quickly becomes slower on a stick because you have to go from (for example) far left, slight left, still, slight right, far right, and repeat. Takes longer than just far left to far right immediately. Though that doesnt come into play much in dead by daylight. Aside from just Nurse and Huntress, I'd say Billy can be harder to lsnd chainsaws, and lunges are harder to land on a controller too.
  • thesuicidefox

@ClogWench said:
    thesuicidefox said:

@DeadByFlashlight said:

In regards to using a controller, more is affected than just aim. Your turning speed is limited, and anything that involves changing directions quickly becomes slower on a stick because you have to go from (for example) far left, slight left, still, slight right, far right, and repeat. Takes longer than just far left to far right immediately. Though that doesnt come into play much in dead by daylight. Aside from just Nurse and Huntress, I'd say Billy can be harder to lsnd chainsaws, and lunges are harder to land on a controller too.

I mean it takes a fraction of a fraction of a second to move the stick from far left to far right. Turning speed is a legit point, but if you put the sensitivity high enough it doesn't matter. You also have to consider the benefits of using an analog stick for movement over WASD, as you can't move in smooth motions or at strange angles with WASD. Going around a loop, for example, it's quite easy to just press the stick towards the object you are looping to hug it as close as possible without having to turn your camera. With WASD, you have to hold W and turn the camera to hug the wall which is a lot more difficult to do.

Again DBD isn't CSGO. You don't need precise aim, hell you really don't even need to aim. I don't find lunges hard to land once you learn to not try and track the tiny movements survivors might make and just swing straight.

Also from what I've heard, Billy chainsaw is actually easier with controller than m/kb because you can flick easier with a control stick. I don't play Billy so I don't know either way personally, that's just what I've heard.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

@ClogWench said:
    thesuicidefox said:

@DeadByFlashlight said:

I mean it takes a fraction of a fraction of a second to move the stick from far left to far right. Turning speed is a legit point, but if you put the sensitivity high enough it doesn't matter. You also have to consider the benefits of using an analog stick for movement over WASD, as you can't move in smooth motions or at strange angles with WASD. Going around a loop, for example, it's quite easy to just press the stick towards the object you are looping to hug it as close as possible without having to turn your camera. With WASD, you have to hold W and turn the camera to hug the wall which is a lot more difficult to do.

Again DBD isn't CSGO. You don't need precise aim, hell you really don't even need to aim. I don't find lunges hard to land once you learn to not try and track the tiny movements survivors might make and just swing straight.

Also from what I've heard, Billy chainsaw is actually easier with controller than m/kb because you can flick easier with a control stick. I don't play Billy so I don't know either way personally, that's just what I've heard.

In regards to the left and right thing, because of that range of motion with a stick, doing it super fast won't make your character actually move mucy compared to m&kb(first example that comes to mind is dodging left and right in overwatch. It just looks like you're slightly vibrating instead of actually moving because it doesn't have time to pick up the full range of input the stick is processing). But that's irrelevant to dbd. I agree theres not a lot that's too much harder on controller besides nurse and huntress. A small difference for everyone else but nothing too bad. On the flip side, survivor is WAY easier with a controller. 
  • thesuicidefox
    edited October 2018

@ClogWench said:
    In regards to the left and right thing, because of that range of motion with a stick, doing it super fast won't make your character actually move mucy compared to m&kb(first example that comes to mind is dodging left and right in overwatch. It just looks like you're slightly vibrating instead of actually moving because it doesn't have time to pick up the full range of input the stick is processing). But that's irrelevant to dbd. I agree theres not a lot that's too much harder on controller besides nurse and huntress. A small difference for everyone else but nothing too bad. On the flip side, survivor is WAY easier with a controller. 

That's true, but with WASD you can't circle strafe like you can with a controller. Also the fact that you can move at different speeds can be as valuable as moving at max speed in a direction instantly. Like if someone is just tapping A and D with a rhythm it's pretty easy to determine where they will be when you shoot. But when the speed changes I can move left at full speed then right at half speed, then left again at full speed. Again, you can change directions with a stick really fast so the acceleration difference is not as pronounced as you'd think.

IDK if you play Gears of War, but the game is actually better with a controller than m/kb. Gears 4 has crossplay, and while PC players have an advantage with sniping weapons, they have a severe disadvantage in Gnasher fights because they can't take cover at odd angles or Up-A as well as with a controller. In order for them to wallbounce they have to move their camera to face the wall, where someone with a stick can both aim and wallbounce at the same time. And even though you can move the screen crazy fast with a mouse, that minute difference is enough to lose CQC fights often against someone with a controller. And since Gnasher is like 75% of the game, that means they will be at a disadvantage most of the time. Yes they have better aim up close, but without good movement it's worthless because they are a sitting duck.

• Mr_Jay_Stark
    Mr_Jay_Stark Member Posts: 539
    I can tell you I play high ranks on both consoles and Xbox one has less players than PS4 I believe it’s because of the fact PS4 made it free last month. When I ready up on PS4 I’m instantly put into a lobby, on Xbox one it takes minutes before I’m put into a lobby
  • GT_Legend2
    GT_Legend2 Member Posts: 845
    I get put into games instantly as killer on XBOne, literally no wait time lol
  • Terrortot
    Terrortot Member Posts: 423
    I have less patience as a console player. If your not out the gate within 1-3 minutes of it opening, ill either dc and play something else or play survivor.

Most players are oblivious that when you frustrate a killer, you frustrate a dbd player in general.

When they actually have console bans, console queues will be a bit longer but less toxicity.
  • sixty4half
    sixty4half Member Posts: 82
    It's due to the FPS drops.  Playing killer can suck at times
  • ThisNotIt
    ThisNotIt Member Posts: 28

4. Game is still imbalanced in favor of the Survivors. Player don’t want to play Killer because it’s too hard and they would rather have easier games on Survivor. 

If you, as a killer, cant win 8 out 10 matches then you're garbage plain and simple. It's so easy
  • ThisNotIt
    ThisNotIt Member Posts: 28

@ClogWench said:

That's true, but with WASD you can't circle strafe like you can with a controller. Also the fact that you can move at different speeds can be as valuable as moving at max speed in a direction instantly. Like if someone is just tapping A and D with a rhythm it's pretty easy to determine where they will be when you shoot. But when the speed changes I can move left at full speed then right at half speed, then left again at full speed. Again, you can change directions with a stick really fast so the acceleration difference is not as pronounced as you'd think.

IDK if you play Gears of War, but the game is actually better with a controller than m/kb. Gears 4 has crossplay, and while PC players have an advantage with sniping weapons, they have a severe disadvantage in Gnasher fights because they can't take cover at odd angles or Up-A as well as with a controller. In order for them to wallbounce they have to move their camera to face the wall, where someone with a stick can both aim and wallbounce at the same time. And even though you can move the screen crazy fast with a mouse, that minute difference is enough to lose CQC fights often against someone with a controller. And since Gnasher is like 75% of the game, that means they will be at a disadvantage most of the time. Yes they have better aim up close, but without good movement it's worthless because they are a sitting duck.

What kind of trash post is this? So you're telling me it's easier with controllers than m+k. Is that why when Microsoft did cross play with xbox and pc, pc players destroyed them to the point Microsoft had to pull it and rework the whole system?
  • Blood_Coil_Viper
    Blood_Coil_Viper Member Posts: 199
    ThisNotIt said:

If you, as a killer, cant win 8 out 10 matches then you're garbage plain and simple. It's so easy
    If you can't see the balence issues at high ranks you shouldn't talk about balence. Plain and simple. 
  • muffinstuffin
    muffinstuffin Member Posts: 8
    @ThisNotIt whats your killer rank on console ? Not ps4 pro but on regular ps4 Or Xbox 1 ive mained killer  and have hit rank 1 the past 4 seasons and dbd on console is straight ass but i love the game. The framerate is terrible on killer and is also ######### on survivor 
  • TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

Me and my friends have trouble finding Killers too. You think people would be lining up to Kill us, we suck at this game. It's free kills, money in the bank.

Please tell me you play on ps4 lol cause 1 2... you know how it goes lol