The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Today Has Made Me Hate This Game...

StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
edited September 2020 in General Discussions

What a miserable day it has been. Had the day off work and spouse is engrossed in a new book.

Decided to hammer out some games today, get some practice in, maybe get a bit better at chases and try and get out of yellow ranks finally.

Haha...no dice.

I wish I was exaggerating when I say that today has been possibly the end of DbD for me, at least for the time being.

So far today: 6 games put me against 3-4 man groups involving higher ranking survivors queuing with a lowbie. You'd think they'd be nice, have some fun and earn some BP if they were going to do this sort of thing - but no, their express purpose was to get as many gens done as fast as possible and then teabag me from the entrance and mock me in postgame.

Another 5 had me up against 3-4man SWFs, nearly all running Object and every one with full meta perks and insane levels of coordination, meaning that if I was lucky I'd get 1-2 hooks all game.

The final 2 actually felt like my rank, where I was able to get a kill or two, practice chases against people who didn't immediately vanish off into the horizon and finally feel like I was having fun. But...yeah.

On top of this, there seems to be...something up with lobbies. Trying to learn Wraith, but every time I pick him, two or three flashlights pop out just before game starts. If I switch to Doctor - don't see it. Does Wraith have some weird tell in the lobby that I'm unaware of? Or is this just paranoia brought on by a legitimately foul experience?

I don't know. I really don't.

BHVR - why on earth did you remove killer matchmaking and the matchmaking protections against smurfing? When you can clearly see that it's two or three high rankers and one lowbie (who still has full meta perks and a tricked out toolbox, somehow) something is amiss.

Anyways, yes, cry moar and git gud and all that. But I'm starting to hit my limits here. It's one thing getting outplayed, or having a nice even two kill game in amongst the crushing defeats - however when I'm getting ground into the dirt and spat upon literally every game...it's very difficult to keep on plugging away.

Cheers all, going to go be sad for a bit. I really do love this game - but at present, it feels more like an abusive spouse than a loyal friend.

• EDIT, and there we go again. I join lobby on Wraith, three flashlights pop out and after checking profiles, two of the people facing me have 1k hours plus. What on earth...?

Comments

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099
    edited September 2020

Hey man, don't get too worked up over this game, I used to be in your exact position where I cared about rank, t-bagging and fast gens.Try different killers, try wacky builds, or play normally, and most importantly have fun!

Here's a thread I made asking for help from 2 months ago, and there is some great advice there, remember it's just a game :)

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/173487/community-help-me-please/p1

• MusicNerd_TC

Which killer do you main? Just curious, since you should try a new killer, I remember getting some advice around 4 months ago from @BigBrainMegMain to try a different killer, and I did, and it was so much fun. You should also practice your mindgames, and learn how to run certain tiles, and mindgame them to outplay your opponent.

Here's a video on how to run the generic tiles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8u0jRxN2kQ&t=446s

• Buttercake
    Buttercake Member Posts: 1,652

What book is your spouse reading??? I want to know if I would be interested.

Im sorry you've had a hard time in the game lately..all anyone can do is take a break when it gets over-bearing. 😟

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Some people do have a way of looking at game files to see what killer is being played. Not sure if they still can but it was a thing not long ago.

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

Most of us have been in your exact same position. There's a positive about going against people that far outclass you. You're going to get better at the game much faster than you would if you were going against survivors on your skill level. If you aren't enjoying yourself taking a break is great though. If you recently got the game and don't have many perks I'd recomend watching a video that Not Otzdarva released recently. It's called "What Killer & Survivor should you get first? | Dead by Daylight"

• StarLost

Usually Hag or Doctor. Trying to learn Wraith at present as (without everyone suddenly grabbing flashlights) he is extremely fun.

And yes, watched it. The thing is - I'm trying to learn, and it's difficult when you are facing people who not only seem to know the tiles, they also know the counterplay to the counterplay - and still find time to teabag and flashlight spam you along the way.

I think I read somewhere that the old encryption they used wasn't working right now or that someone had figured out a way around it. Not going into specifics.

It's some Lovecraftian thing. She is really enjoying it.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    edited September 2020

We’re happy that you posted, ‘cause whenever people do it’s usually a sure sign that they haven’t yet “hung up the hatchet,” so to speak😃

I imagine, whenever players are completely done, like forevvs, they’ll immediately delete/uninstall the game, forget that these forums exist, and never talk about Dead by Daylight ever again.

You’re still here, hopefully a bit relaxed, less stressed an still playing.

Breaks are healthy,

take em when ya need em... Maybs even pick up an enjoy a good book like your spouse😊

• Buttercake

Is it Lovecraft Country?? I read that last year and really liked it, if not, suggest it to her. 🙂

• StarLost

Eh, mostly posting here while Serious Sam 4 installs. Going to sleep on it, but probably will end up calling it and keeping an eye on patch notes regarding the old matchmaking protections coming back.

• StarLost
    edited September 2020

No, I think she watched the show briefly and hated it.

Turns out she is reading an unreleased, self published thing. Which is odd, as it's apparently crazily long.

EDIT: Oh, it's something she is proofing for someone else. She is an interesting lady.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415

Yeah, Totally understand, that’s for sure

We’re always happy to post with you if you continue to share time on these forums.

oh, if you wanna try sth different check out The Infectious Madness of Dr. Dekker... it’s kinda like playing thru a murder mystery. You an your spouse can enjoy this game together. She may like it🙂

https://store.steampowered.com/app/545540/The_Infectious_Madness_of_Doctor_Dekker/

• ZCerebrate
    ZCerebrate Member Posts: 641

I mean you've already heard about the exploitable unencrypted game file (since you've directly replied to me about it in another thread) that hasn't been fixed in lobbies - Hags might see more Urban Evasion and Flashlights similar to Wraith... not saying this is entirely it but it's always a nagging possibility.

I do think a lot of this abuse is stemming from BHVR allowing steam family share to make throwaway accounts enabling these smurf squads without additional costs that might deter them from buying multiple copies of the game or spend hours deranking just to pick on new players. Also probably why there are more hackers among other things that abuse this mechanic so their main steam accounts don't get VAC banned... they could make family share have more limitations like other games or just disable it completely to help alleviate some of these issues too.

Anyways - hope you have a better one, enjoy the Serious Sam 4 (I highly recommend Doom Eternal or even the first Doom remake if you want a similar FPS good time that isn't yet another cover shooter).

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826

4 months ago lemme see....

I think I started using Billy around that time and I was having a blast, if you want to compete in Red Rank gameplay you have to use a Red Rank competent killer, Spirit, Nurse, Oni, because everyone will bring their A Game and you must too. No more playing for funsies, if you're being gen rushed to hell, they're not there to have fun, they're there to leave and you must have the same mentality IF you want to compete in Red Ranked gameplay.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531

Been having games like that today.

Jokes on them, I'm practicing Nurse. I couldn't care less how fast they do gens. I'm practicing my blinking.

• ZCerebrate

Let me know how that went and whether it was 3 toolboxes with BNPs and a medkit with Septic or just basic ole brown/yellow toolboxes and medkits (Which are far more likely even for SWFs) and perfectly fine even without Franklin's to me.

• Buttercake

Oh, I havent seen the show yet. So, i dont know how close it is to the book. Sorry she didnt like it, though. I was looking forward to seeing the show. We were waiting for the whole series to be available before we subscribed...

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

2 p3 claudettes and a cowboy jake. If cosmetics could tell a story...

This is why moris exist. All my games are bad too, 5-10 mins for a queue and then its gonna be a combination of map offerings, keys or Ooo.

• Exerath1992
    Exerath1992 Member Posts: 1,035

Gen alert perks are the key for me to always have something to do. Discordance, thrilling tremors, gearhead, or tinkerer should be on every killer imho. You always have something to do, and if you get a good 3 gen you usually can have a good advantage. But unsure of your levels

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818

I honestly think people improve faster when they're matched with opponents close to their own skill level. It's true that you want to have a challenge, but it needs to be a challenge that you could possibly succeed at. If the challenge is so hard that you have no chance, the difficulty level is too high to learn very much.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Haven't met a single one that wasn't toxic but also extremely good at looping. A deadly combo.

Cowboyjake is to jake what pink hair is to nea.

• StarLost

What makes this batty is I have nearly instant queues. But the matches are all horrifically one sided and against players like these. I get skunked game after game until I hit lower yellow again, then I start crushing complete newcomers. Then it's back to the nightmare.

Crap, should have paid attention. I got stomped. They had something that instantly got people up from being downed (first time I've seen that one) and got all gens done before I even managed to hook. The second I tried to chase, someone immediately got back on the gen and once they had the gate open, they stood at exit teabagging until I just chased them out. Buttholes.

Gah.

Her logic for disliking it is ...interesting. But she is an interesting lady. Nigerian immigrant, ridiculously smart, doing a PHD in a field of neuroscience I barely understand even conceptually. We met in Japan, of all places.

• ZCerebrate
    edited September 2020

Sounds like Zarina's Teachable - For the People which breaks the first guy

Ever since AHS got nerfed and can't do that anymore... It's much more bearable now than it used to be but admittedly still strong (probably wasn't in this match you played though)

There was a time when you downed someone and someone came running by like a drive-by and put that person back to full health standing at the tap of a button and depleting a brown med kit. Resetting you back to the beginning of the game but without a gen or two... man do I feel like that old man talking about "walking uphill 6 miles to school in both directions"

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

@StarLost

Might I entice you to learn to play nurse if you are on PC? Learning nurse is an uphill battle, expect to lose, but it is so satisfying when your blinks are on point. There are still several OG nurses on the forums that have very good input.

Take a few days away from this game to reset. If you drink, pour yourself a drink, sit down, and get intimate with nurse LOL.

PS, your lady sounds amazing...any free time you have and she has should be spent together LOL ######### DBD or any other game!

• The_Bootie_Gorgon

Seriously, if both of you have free time, plan a picnic at a park an enjoy nature and food.

• StarLost

Also started with Billy, as per Otz's video. Ended up maining Hag (who I adore, despite being fairly terrible) and Doctor (who I inexplicably seem to do fairly well with). Really wanted to add a third killer to my roster (grabbed a bunch during the sale). Don't like 'big' killers so I tried Pig, who was fun but awful, Myers (the less said the better) and finally Wraith - who is actually pretty fun, despite being a BP sink for addons (I find him unplayable without the speed ones).

Tried PH but I just don't understand him, and people already seem crazily good at juking my shots and I don't understand the point of his cage.

I honestly think people improve faster when they're matched with opponents close to their own skill level. It's true that you want to have a challenge, but it needs to be a challenge that you could possibly succeed at. If the challenge is so hard that you have no chance, the difficulty level is too high to learn very much.

Bingo. It's difficult to get better when the people you are playing against are multiple levels of crazily strong, using tricked out addons and working in quite amazing coordination. It's like giving someone an advanced calculus text and telling them to 'learn math'.

• StarLost

I've tried these, but all that happens is whoever has Spinechill or Object immediately tells me when I'm moving in and by the time I get there, they are waiting in the bushes or have moved on to the next gen. Or they've now split up.

I've started routinely tunneling down or yes, even camping Objects. It's just so cancerous to play against.

• StarLost

Gave her a try. She is very strong, but also very buggy. Often ended up stuck inside a hill or unable to teleport through things.

It also feels like people have had years to learn how to perfectly juke her while I'm just starting to learn. Got her to the level where I could use her teachables and that was it. Not my favorite killer, although I can see how strong she could be in the right hands.

I much prefer someone less erratic. Hag is likely my stand in for her when I want hyper-mobility and Doctor when I just get sick of stealthers.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
  • StarLost

I'll give it a watch. Really enjoy her visually too. I adore smaller killers.

• StarLost

Yes! It was that bloody pink syringe. Seen a few of those today and...yep, that explains it.

Also - for a laugh, decided to do one more match. This is what I saw:

Yes, that is 4 toolboxes.

• MusicNerd_TC

Check out michi as well, both amazing hag mains. Space coconut has the most traps set and triggered in dbd overall, and michi is up there as well. They are both on youtube, and @SpaceCoconut is on twitch and even our forums here as well.

I used to main hag back in 2018 before her rework up until recently when I stopped playing her, even I learned some stuff from these guids.

• ZCerebrate

Michi is hands down the best Hag I've ever seen - highly respectable european hag main.

@StarLost Pink needles don't instantly pick up downed survivors (I think it'll still take 16 seconds if used on someone who is already down). For the People perk is instant though at the cost of breaking the person who uses it and injuring them

• StarLost

Ah...it may well be that. Because I downed them, turned to try and hit the guy behind me and boom, they were off through the gates. Oh, I must show you game 3. 2 Rank 1s and one rank 16 smurf in a group together. He had a bonkers toolbox (even using the ultra rare Wraith addon, I just couldn't keep up with him) but managed to kill the bugger out of sheer spite towards the end. They were completely clowning on me.

• StarLost

Thanks. I may give this a look, once I've burned through my Wraith addons and prestiged him. Likely the only prestige skin I've seen so far that I like.

Hag looks like a pasta monster.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

I think problem is your lack of experience and how to deal with coordinated people, so i suggest you do upload a video of one of your matches against such a squad and i am sure the more experienced players here are able to help you out. Talk about it so you can improve your gameplay.

YES! Come to the dark side, we have cookies! Yeah playing nurse and getting good with her makes it hard to go back to anything else. This is always a valid option.

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789
    edited September 2020

you really like complaining about smurfs

this game isnt going to be easy you cant pick it up and immedietly be amazing your gonna need to be prepared to lose a lot of games before you start to win them

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

There will always be scumbags. I started maining nurse after i only faced red ranks in green. Sadly she's not an option for me anymore.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited September 2020

First there are way more survivor nerfs then killer nerfs so forget about that.

Second, what are you talking about maps? Devs are creating more and more killer favoure maps since a year or so, and thats undenyable. And they keep buffing maps for killer obviously. Also undenyable.

And last, if you want to have fun in DbD, the most idiotic 2-3 IQ braindead thing you can possible do is to jump on the toxic train aswell and make the game bad for other people. I mean, even a very stupid person should be able to see the problem with this whishes circle.

• Hyraga91
    Hyraga91 Member Posts: 16

Couldn't the developers just penalize T-bagging? It would be a super easy simple algorithm: If the key assigned to crouch is pressed 2 or 3 times in a row quickly, it will be penalized in some serious way. The same with the flashlight, that if it is activated and deactivated repeatedly in a short period of time, it is penalized.

They are the only 2 actions in the game that are used to toxic the killer.

Come on devs, get serious about these things. The game as it is is fun and it is true that there is a lot of imbalance in many things ... but what really takes away from it is the toxicity of some players. They make the game very frustrating.

They could also remove the final chat ... or at least there is an option to deactivate it for those who do not want to read ######### about toxic people.

• ScienceGirl
    ScienceGirl Member Posts: 92

I’m sorry that you’ve been having a terrible time, but I would recommend taking a break. I’m currently 2 weeks into not playing and I’ve been enjoying other games so much more. I will eventually come back to DBD, but my games before I took my break were just so mentally draining.

Useless teammates, killers that will face camp / hard tunnel with 5 generators left standing etc. It was becoming so tedious. I’m spending my spare time elsewhere and I’ve recently started playing WWZ and having a blast.

As DBD is so dependent on teamwork, it can be such a frustrating game to play if you play solo (like I do) - I’m hoping that when I return I’ll enjoy it again. If not, I’ll just take another break.

I wasn’t really having any issues playing as a rank 1 killer, but I don’t want to just play one side. So as soon as of them (survivor this time) became unplayable for me, I told myself I’d take a step back.

• Hyraga91
    Hyraga91 Member Posts: 16

Or here's another idea: Have a Dota-style matchmaking system (for example), where you can activate an option that only matches you with players who also play SOLO.

And here would come the grace: That the games that are played in SOLO (where each survivor is not in SWF), is played normal, as is now. BUT that the games that are played with teams (whether of 2, 3 or 4 people in SWF), that there are penalties in the survivors when making generators ... for example that take 1/3 more time than what usual, since being in a team and communicated it is much easier to rush a game and make it enar impossible for the killer.

There are so many ways to make the game much more enjoyable and balanced, but it seems that the developers are not interested in any of this, nor do they want to hear the criticism that players always complain about.

It feels like they try things out among themselves and that's it, and the feedback from the community is of no use.

• Slashstreetboy
    Slashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

Dam. Such bad streaks stink man. I´m taking an extended break from Trapper for how many teams use Object nowadays.

Maybe taking a break is the right call though, I´ve done so too and to be honest it helps not burning out from the game. Cheers, hope your mood lightens soon!

This discussion has been closed.