Survivor: The match starts. What is the first thing you do?

Fog_King
Fog_King Member Posts: 688
edited September 2020 in Polls

So, you are playing survivor and the match starts. I have seen people do different things at the start of the match and of course the way people act at first might change depending on what they have around them. Did they start near a gen? Or a totem or a chest? Let's imagine the match starts and there is nothing or anyone near you. What is usually the first thing you do?

Survivor: The match starts. What is the first thing you do? 180 votes

Start fixing the first gen I see
60%
FatelanceRescultirVolantConch1719ZerLukasSchinderella[Deleted User]TapeKnotF60_31Demiurg[Deleted User]MelvinFog_KingTheRockstarKnightSkeletalEliteDeadeyeLeonardo1itaFunchalWalker_of_the_fog_96MrPenguinFreddo 108 votes
Go look for totems
8%
EqMonkVeeshanCamoRangerRattmanCashelP14Warcrafter4TheNewWebheadmagicmaster2020bm33TotemsCleanserMeltingPenguinsEntitledMyersMainmegswifeybubblygerbandar93Le_DWK 15 votes
Go look for chests to search
5%
Mister_xDJacoby2041BassTramUndershotKateDensonMain3331Junsuinaalex9erjotaroLovey 9 votes
Hide and move carefuly until you know who the killer is or that he/she is far away
7%
KnucklesRullisiGhouled_MojoKA149108MissUrbanGoblin[Deleted User]kaedediabloxX_DeoxRc_XxKevinnnnyBreakableRockotheawesomepugVenusaSenyor_Yiff 13 votes
Try to find other survivors
1%
SpeeddemonsaifBlue_Archer33 2 votes
Other (Explain)
18%
GcarraraI_am_NeganJawsIsTheNextKillerrwbmachineDetailedDetrimentpichumudkipnimesulideanimalmakMooseMannequinAwkward_FiendSlashstreetboyTheButchernotstarboardAkitoPega6surv43RattiusisilmerelmusefanRepostRiposte 33 votes

Comments

• Awkward_Fiend
    Awkward_Fiend Member Posts: 687
    Other (Explain)

Search for and begin working on either middle gen or one close to it, just working on the first gen I see is a great way to get a 3 gen started.

• animalmak
    animalmak Member Posts: 399
    Other (Explain)

I clicked other because it really does depend on where I spawned and what's around me. Usually there's at least one other survivor near me at the beginning, so task #1 is always t-bag to say hello.

Then if I have specific tasks, I do specific things. Like charging straight to where I think the killer spawned if I need to be chased for a daily/challenge.

Otherwise it's doing whatever thing is closest. If that's a gen, a gen; if it's a totem, a totem. If I spawn away from both, I head toward the middle in search of them.

• Breque
    Breque Member Posts: 427

Its kind of the only objectivy

• musefan
    musefan Member Posts: 345
    Other (Explain)

If I start with other survivors next to me, I acknowledge them with a single one-second crouch. You know, to wish them luck.

If I start next to a chest, I open that chest. Because fate has brought us together, my good chest friend.

If I start next to a gen and somebody else starts working on it straight away, I will join them. The killer will almost always come to the nearest gen to survivors, so if I start alone, I will move away from the first gen I see - that's just suicide.

Other than that, I usually run Inner Strength, so I will spend some time looking for a totem. Not too long though (30 seconds at the very most), if I can't see one if the obvious spots near me, I will jump on a gen instead.

• ZerLukas
    ZerLukas Member Posts: 294

Usually I hop on a gen but if I see a totem I'll break it first.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632
    Other (Explain)

It depends what is in the area and if I spawn alone or not. If I spawn by a chest, totem, and gen then I will do the everything in that order. If I spawn with another surv I will rush the gen.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,790
    Other (Explain)

I usually make a beeline for one of the central gens, but if I find a totem on the way you'd better believe I'm cleansing it.

• lowiq
    lowiq Member Posts: 436

Where is the find the killer option?

• MegHasCuteFeet
    MegHasCuteFeet Member Posts: 369

Always do first gen you see so you get 3 gens on first hook with a decent team.

Just abuse gen times.

• HEX_MalusGrey
    HEX_MalusGrey Member Posts: 231

Doing gen is almost always the only acceptable thing to do. Unless offcourse ruin is active and you can spot glowing bones in your area.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,818
    Other (Explain)

It depends. I guess my order of priority is:

• do my daily or my rift challenge, or set myself up to do it
    • interact with whatever happened to spawn right in front of me (totem, chest, gen, other players, etc)
    • look for a gen where it doesn't seem like I'll get murdered right away

• pichumudkip
    pichumudkip Member Posts: 155
    Other (Explain)

It really depends for me. If I see a chest, I'll loot it first then hop on a gen, and depending on the map, like any map good for stealth killers (mainly Ghostface), I want to attempt to see if I can find out who the killer is. But in none of those scenarios, I generally just hop on a gen or look for a teammate on a gen since I always use Prove Thyself.

• EntitledMyersMain
    EntitledMyersMain Member Posts: 832
    Go look for totems

Rattle me bones

• Money_Mike
    Money_Mike Member Posts: 22
    Other (Explain)

Literally the first thing I do is get to the other side of the map as fast as I can from where I spawn because every time, the killer spawns in the same vicinity as me every single time without fail. I know there’s that offering that spawns me as far away from the killer as possible, but that usually tips them off to go to the other side of the map, too, secret or not.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

To be precise, there are several factors that influence the decision, doing gen is just the most common thing.

Sometimes I don't do the first gen I see because these are normally gens at the outside of the map, which the killer is fine with when they are gone first. If I know the map well and know certain gens that are critical (like on the tube maps of MacMillan) then I try to observe this gen first if it is safe to do and pressure it.

With Inner Strength on, the first thing I do is checking typical totem spots near my spawning point and the first gen I do before touching the gen.

When the gen I spawn on is super unsafe and I don't have the fitting exhaustion perk to escape, I play safety first.

When spawning next to killer shack or in/near the main building, I check for the basement.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,216
    edited September 2020

The real first thing I do is check for Freddy clocks on our profiles. If they are there, I have narrowed down the Killers it could be to Freddy.

After that, I work on a close gen, unless I'm running Deja Vu, in which case I go for one of those three gens.

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

I usually start to fix the first gen I see, since they are the main objective. Sometimes it's not the best idea, because in a few secs I have the killer on me, but on other times the killer doesn't come and the gen is finished even before someone is chased and hurt.

• nimesulide
    nimesulide Member Posts: 39
    Other (Explain)

If I find a totem quickly, I cleanse it first, as I usually run Inner Strength instead of Self-Care. Also touching a gen to check if there's Ruin. Then fixing the first gen, or if it's not too far, a higher priority gen, until Spine Chill lights up, then stealthy-stealthy.

• BassTram
    BassTram Member Posts: 195

I always run Ace In The Hole and Plunders Instinct so I go straight for the chests

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088
    Go look for totems

Trying to proc my inner strength. Tho, if I don't find totem right away, I usually sit on gen.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Other (Explain)

Look for the killer so I can stalk them

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,180
    Other (Explain)

Unless there is something next to me, I like to get a lay of the land; find a possible couple of gens or sector I'd like to focus on, and avoid the 3 gen problem earlier rather than later. I like planning what I'm going to do. However, more often than not it's a bit more chaotic than that.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Go look for totems

Check my immediate area for totems incase there's a hex. I will immediately go on a gen after unless there's a chest.

• Rullisi
    Rullisi Member Posts: 392
    Hide and move carefuly until you know who the killer is or that he/she is far away

I just hide in beginning because it's the best bet for me to survive as I can't deal with the rank 1 killers at all and I die so quick

• Akito
    Akito Member Posts: 673
    Other (Explain)

If there is one I do a totem, then I run through the map so that maybe the killer finds me first (i know how to chase, better for the team) or I either do a middle gen or I look for a 3 gen combo to break it first.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360
    Other (Explain)

Teabag hello to all the survivors. Continue tebagging hello furiously until they respond in kind.

• TheButcher6641
    TheButcher6641 Member Posts: 252
    Other (Explain)

T-bag with my fellow survivors to show them that I love them and cherish their presence. Only then can I work on a gen.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

as this is currently an event, i am running Plunderers Instinct and Ace In The Hole to try and get my hands on some juicy event items without having to actually spend any BP on survivor (literally still got a 2018 Hallowed Blight offering in my most leveled survivors Blood Web).

after the chests, i go for gens.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Other (Explain)

I try and get the middle gen or unsafe gens done and cleanse totems in my path.

• KA149108
    KA149108 Member Posts: 337

When I load into a match I try and find a gen in the middle of the map (unless in an indoor map) if I see people working on a gen I try and find a different one so atleast 2 gens are being worked on.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

Chests or totems, I'm greedy af for BP and items

• thelegion_fan
    thelegion_fan Member Posts: 49
    Other (Explain)

Um most likely die (im a noob) if not Hide and move carefuly until you know who the killer is or that he/she is far away then gens or idk

• Leonardo1ita
    Leonardo1ita Member Posts: 2,278

Now suddenly it is a bad thing to do considering that probably there is ruin undying

• honeyboi
    honeyboi Member Posts: 10

What I do before I work on a gen is say hello and crouch spam my fellow survivors.

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263
    edited November 2020
  • TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Other (Explain)

Run/Sneak to the opposite side of the map - past the Killer. To do the Gen there.

• UniversalTaxi
    UniversalTaxi Member Posts: 10
    Other (Explain)

I go to the first gen I see, if there are no gens, I walk around and look for survivors, if not I find the killer and loop him giving my teammates time to do gens.

• Ink_Eyes
    Ink_Eyes Member Posts: 561
    edited December 2020
    Other (Explain)

Move to the center of the map and start doing a gen if I spot one, it usually prevents the team from getting 3 gen'd.

• Chchchcheryl
    Chchchcheryl Member Posts: 1,531
    Other (Explain)

If I spawn with others (and we aren't on comms), I'll skip out on them and go to the gen on the farthest corner of the map, if I'm on comms with people I'll sit on the nearest gen so we can get early game information!

If I spawn alone I usually either grab a chest I spawn at (I don't usually run items into trials), grab a totem to proc inner strength (if I have it on) or I'll sit on the nearest gen because I know the killer is gonna be a bit closer to the others, and my blood pact (which I ALWAYS run), usually gives me enough information on what I should do next.

• WraithBaby
    WraithBaby Member Posts: 15
    Other (Explain)

I usually assume that my fellow survivors are going to start on a gen they think is relatively safer (along the edge of the map, in a corner, etc.) So I usually try and go to a gen near the middle of the map and get it done. I often find that survivors tend to do gens along the edges of the map, so then we end up three gen'd.

• Blue_Archer33
    Blue_Archer33 Member Posts: 318
    Try to find other survivors

My playstyle of medic favors being near others who may need assistance on the flip of a dime. I'd rather group up as quickly as possible so I can be within reach immediately.

• TotemsCleanser
    TotemsCleanser Member Posts: 617
    Go look for totems

I always try to do at least one totem before I touch any gens.

• CryptFriend
    CryptFriend Member Posts: 416
    Other (Explain)

Move to a center gen, wait for killer to pass by (or if they have already, how long I can stay based on who they are), start woking on said gen.