The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why aren't we matched up with people who are actually at our skill level?

Who cares if you are matched up with other players at your rank level, it doesn't determine anything. I wished we were matched up with killers and survives that have the same playing time/or winnings as us.

Comments

• adsads123123123123
    adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 1,084

BHVR currently doesn't have a way to do this. They tried MMR and it failed.

• ToxicMyers
    ToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295

they ignored rank completely which had rank 20s going against red ranks

• adsads123123123123
    adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 1,084

Idk. Google it. They enabled it and disabled it after a while because it didn't give the outcome they wanted.

• WalkedMoss92
    WalkedMoss92 Member Posts: 275

Then that's not what I'm talking about. They ignored everything except the quote "rank doesn't matter". They should have been matched with people with the same PLAYING time.

• WalkedMoss92
    WalkedMoss92 Member Posts: 275
  • Seiko300
    Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862

^ This is what happened.

As BAD as you think the ranked system might be where it queues people according to your rank, it is nowhere NEAR as bad as what MMR was. It was laughably horrible, so much so that it became one of the extremely rare and very few instances where the dev team actually decided not to double down, but to say: "hey, we messed up, and we'll change what we did wrong and go back to the original thing we had before, at least for the time being"

MMR took your idea @WalkedMoss92 of "Who cares if you are matched up with other players at your rank level, it doesn't determine anything." and exaggerates that concept to a goddamn eleven. Red Ranks with hundreds or thousands of hours were continuously on a CONSTANT basis being queued with people who were literally playing their very first match of DBD and other similarly inexperienced players who were in the brown ranks because MMR made no distinction for rank because "rank doesn't even matter".

What MMR taught us was yeah, to a certain extent, rank is not the best at identifying and determining a player's skill level, it certainly doesn't paint a whole picture and there are certainly flaws with the system. However, rank IS at the end of the day an aspect that identifies at the very least an overall part or general scope of a player's skill level. There might be a wide range of players in Red Ranks but at the end of the day they're all certainly more experienced than someone who's in green, yellow, and obviously brown.

So obviously ranks don't work by themselves, at the same time an MMR system that completely tosses aside rank as a negligible and meaningless feature doesn't work either. I hope the next thing the devs try to do is incorporate a system that combines both and if it doesn't meet expectation, then it may be as Scott Jund says that an MMR system will simply never work ever in DBD because there are too many randomized elements for a machine or system to really gain an accurate picture of a player's skill level in DBD.

Personally speaking, in the wake of what an absolute disaster MMR was, I've never been more satisfied with matchmaking in my entire life. It's one of those things that you really take for granted until you lose it and realize what a disaster things would be without it, and they certainly were.

• jzizzle765
    jzizzle765 Member Posts: 14

Are they still working on it or is it going to stay this way? 4 outta 5 games tonight had at least 3 purple or red rank survivors and 1 random other rank that could be higher or lower. I just got the game and at rank 16. This has been a pretty consistent thing throughout playing killer but never with survivor. I would think it would be a waiting time issue but I can find a game in under a minute most of the time.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

I honestly don't think the matchmaking pool is stable enough as killer vs survivor across all zones and times for MMR. I think thats the real reason it didn't work.

The game's not exactly dying. there are still plenty of people playing it at any given time. The problem comes from trying to match players in the same region, at the same time, at a ratio of 4:1 while also accounting for the fact that the 4 could be groups of 2-4 and having to also pool them in with individuals who fill the number of flex spots exactly.

Thats already a hard filter to sift through, and it shows why we get so many rainbow rank games without MMR. Add MMR to the mix, and you need to try to factor the suivivor "winrate" (still dont know if thats pip or survival based) vs each individual killer's "winrate...." which might not even exist if they havent been playing the killer since MMR started collecting data. You can see how this calculation makes the pool of eligible matches slimmer with every condition.

Many games get around this by having visible MMR, so you can take bad matchups with a grain of salt. Those games are also 1v1, and luck tends to have less of a direct impact on your chances. Since this game has none of that, the results of MMR have proven pretty unreliable, at best.

Its not a bad system, and it could work. But it requires a massive pool of players available at all times for both roles, and this game only has a "very good" pool to work with across all times and regions simultaneously.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

Doesn't matter. Let's say survivor: If you never practice 360s, you will never learn it like me. It's not even mandatory to play the game. Or killers who played 500 hours (killer only) and never picked up huntress / slinger, so their aim is bad compared to someone, that played only them in the same amount of time.

I don't think MMR will ever work in this game.

• ACube7
    ACube7 Member Posts: 13
  • Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

The MMR system was designed to be individual per killer. Clearly with how much some skills like hiding red glow carry over, the first matches before a sample set is established will always be volitile: but they would surely smooth out as the sample set grows larger over more time and more games.

Its not a bad idea, there SHOULD be a per killer rating due to how much grinding is required for each killer as well as how perk/addon dependent they tend to be, as well as their differing playstyles. I just don't think the numbers are there to make it feasible.

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474

They really are sleeping on factoring in 'devotion' to matchmaking.