The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

So lets talk about Hook Spawns

Unicorn
Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

Hey guys, I know we have other issues going on with DBD but here I am with another.

I played a game on Hawkins yesterday and realized Hook Spawns are ridiculously close. Didn't think to take screenshots because I thought it was just the map. Then comes today, just got out of a game on Coldwind with literally 4 hooks in this same area. I've taken screenshots:

The hook that I circled in Red is the hook I was on in the first screenshot. I circled it in red to show that here was a hook behind me as well as the two in front of me. Do hooks spawn randomly? And if so why are they so close to where a Killer can literally camp two people at once? Do the "increase hook distance" add-ons actually work?

Thoughts/Opinions/Answers?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Close hook spawns are fine by me. Sure it empowers camping and reduces the amount of bp survivors get but at least killers don't have anything to cry about.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

THere is a minimum distance between hooks, but also a minimum number of hooks per map. That means, if after the random placement there are not enough hooks on the map, there will be randokmly spawned more hooks until the minimum hook count is reached. That will especially with oak offerings happen more commonly. You need to get "map awareness" the same like with "where are the closest gens which we need to do at least one of". Although I think for hooks it is not really relevant, unless you play a sabotage or breakout build

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

This should be just this edge of the map where just one area contains 2-3 really close hooks. That shouldn't be in several parts of the map. This is, as explained, just a fix to situations where the minimum hooks are not placed yet.

When you notice that, make sure you get away from it as mutliple downs in this area will be easy to protect / camp. That's it. What is the problem with multiple hooks on one spot? It is the same like dead areas because all the pallets have been dropped. Recognize and make sure you don't get caught offguard in that area.

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

I've had maps where there are practically hook deadzones like others said it's rng. Though the oak offerings can make them closer or farther apart.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651

Hooks might spawn clumped somewhere and sparse elsewhere. Random means random, not even.

But there are some consistant hook dead zones on certain maps. Many large centerpiece buildings don't have any hooks inside or directly around. If you down a survivor inside the Asylum or under the Grimp Pantry and you don't happen to have the basement there or be close to one of the exits, the suvivor has a good chances of escaping your grasp. And thoses locations are not random, they are always here.

• Brucecastro81
    Brucecastro81 Member Posts: 1,609

Swamp hooks litteraly spawn at the edge of the map, but in the middle none hooks exists, like, why?

• Inekos
    Inekos Member Posts: 7

Well RNG time, on swamp i had today 3 survivors hooked in 10-15 m away from each other, fun fact was the last one sabo the other part of the map

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

It’s just RNG. Some maps you have close hook spawns then you have swamp where there is like one or two hooks in the middle and all the rest are on the outer edge.

• UwUdestroyer
    UwUdestroyer Member Posts: 18

It is RNG unfortunately. If a killer is gonna use an offering that makes hooks spawn even closer, welp you can only pray.

• milwaukee354
    milwaukee354 Member Posts: 316

I had a game where two hooks were literally 5 feet apart the killer hooked two survivors and just camped until they died and it was a leather face killers should have cool downs on all special attacks I don't understand why people say killers are not strong enough it seems like every game you get down to one or two gens and it's game over for survivors because the killer can see gens they should make the killer look for gens and pay attention to gates like we do

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,467

I played a game one and we tried staking oak offerings to see how far apart we could get the hooks to spawn, it did nothing at all in fact I think it made them closer together. RNG makes sense for that and it sucks.

• GamerGirlFeng
    GamerGirlFeng Member Posts: 277

I miss when we could sabo hooks to 99% and then tap the remaining 1% when needed. Back then hooks took longer to respawn, too, so if you did it right you wouldn't have any hooks left on the map except for the basement.

DREAMYSIGH.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075

Then you get maps like swamp or disturbed ward with basement in the central building where you down someone and there are no hooks for miles

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    edited October 2020

These pics make the hooks look decently far apart imo. It doesn't look too bad. I guess if they did make the hooks a little bit more further apart body blocking and sabotaging would actually work but then if some1 dies there'd probably be a hook deadzone there. The good news is that a hook cluster like this does make it easier for rescues too. I don't see there being a hook deadzone thanks to a cluster of with that kind of distance though, except if the killer kills at the edges of the map.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 873

Buff Boil Over to break a few of the closest hooks or let me grab a tree or something lol

I have seen 3-4 hooks so close together so many times that they might as well be side by side like a kindergarten cubby yet when I’m Killer on Lery’s or Badham there is a wall or fence so long that I can’t even make it to a hook😂 sometimes the Gideon meat plant messes me over hard too for some reason.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,051

I think the hook spawns screw over killers more than they do survivors, especially with survivors being sacrificed on hooks destroying them permanently (which makes zero sense and needs to be changed). I'm tired of having to go to a further hook as opposed to a closer one because I might need it later. It's a stupid and unnecessary mechanic.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

this could have been an oak offering by the killer to bring the hooks closer together too.... lots of possibilities.