My great grandmother died.

Options
bubbabrotha
bubbabrotha Member Posts: 1,138
edited October 2020 in Off-topic

I don't know why I'm posting this here, but I need to vent to someone, and this community comes to mind.

She died last night, from pneumonia. It was peaceful, and she didn't feel any pain.

I feel like its my fault. I didn't talk to her enough.

Like I said, I'm posting this here because I trust you guys.

Post edited by Gay Myers (Luzi) on

Comments

• ToxicMyers
    ToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295
    Options

While I do agree with @Victor_hensley, I do feel your pain. My mother's parents both died last year and I never got to meet her grandparents either. I hope you can get through with it, when I first heard the news I cried like I never had in a good 5 years

• Bumbus
    Bumbus Member Posts: 600
    Options

It sucks man. Hang on in there.

• TN_Chris
    TN_Chris Member Posts: 28
    Options

Very sorry to hear this, but I'm glad she was able to go peacefully. I hope she lived a great life.

My dad passed away last year and I had to bury him on Fathers Day. Lost my grandmother 4 months later.

Don't beat yourself down and feel like it was your fault. The loss of a loved one is a part of life, it's something that we'll all be faced with at one point or another.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

At least she died peacefully. She will no longer suffer either.

My mother works in an aged care facility, and after seeing the state of some of those residents, all I can say is that death is a blessing for some of them as what they have is not life. Not really.

One of my grandmothers went about 2 years ago, due to multiple organ failure, and seeing my dad rush an hour and a half's drive away all the time to be with her, his siblings and his dad to then come home and look so exhausted was rough. My work colleagues were getting worried for me with how bad I was starting to sound, and I can handle quite a bit emotionally!

The advice I can give from my own experiences is to just keep looking forward. Carry the memories of her with you, but don't let them weigh you down.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

I know your pain brother. But its not your fault. It was just her time.

• bubbabrotha
    bubbabrotha Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

The sad thing was, she was completely healthy. She was in her 80's but she acted like she was in her 50's.

• EntitledMyersMain
    EntitledMyersMain Member Posts: 832
    Options

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I feel your pain.

My own great grandmother died a few weeks ago.

Stay strong man!

• Kumnut768
    Kumnut768 Member Posts: 789
    Options

my condolences go out to you and your family, i lost my father last year due to lung cancer and i felt the exact same way i feel your pain you often feel that you have no one to turn to and it can be very frustrating.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842
    Options

It wasn't dragged out like with my grandmother. The day I heard about it, it was when my mum said that the call to my dad was "get here now to say your goodbyes." She was still clinically alive for another two weeks until they cut the machines off.

I would have rathered it that day.

Sounds like she was at least having fun up until the end! Still getting out there and doing something and not stuck in a bed unable to move without help. You didn't see her being kept alive by machines, and that's a rare thing. No pain, no torment, no longing. Just peace.

I am really terrible at this comforting thing.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,676
    Options

Oh ######### man. I'm so sorry, oh my god.

I don't know what to say but considering previous circumstances I really feel like I should say something. I can't exactly give tips on how to cope since I'm in the middle of trying to figure that bullshit out for myself but there've been 2 things thusfar that I've been able to focus on:

- Thinking of all the good times you'd shared.

- Knowing you'll be able to see them again.

The second one is what's mostly keeping me going right now tbf.

Two things I've been told by others too that might bring you some comfort too, idk:

- Make sure you keep her in your memory. Someone only really dies when there's nobody left to think about them

- It doesn't get easier, you just get better at dealing with the pain.

This ######### hurts. I'm so sorry. I hope you're okay man <3

• LuffyBlack
    LuffyBlack Member Posts: 595
    Options
  • Godot
    Godot Member Posts: 806
    Options

My condolences. Stay strong, and I wish the best for you and your family.

My only grandfather recently had gotten sick due to the virus, couldn't get out of bed and literally fell into a coma as recent as yesterday.

I feel your pain.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,032
    Options

My deepest condolences to you and your family. I wish you the very best during this difficult time.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,545
    Options

Sorry to hear that

I've had a few experiences like that

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Sorry for your loss my dude. My great grandma is 103 or 104 right now. She's in a home. I planned on visiting her just before this whole lockdown but I'm worried I may not get to see her again. Sucks. Stay strong my dude.

• BillIsBestBoi
    BillIsBestBoi Member Posts: 30
    Options

Sorry for your loss. My great grandmother is in hospital for the same thing.