Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Increase difficulty to rank up

It has become increasingly frequent that I encounter players at rank 1 who obviously don't deserve to be highest rank in the game.
As a survivor, the following scenario is not so uncommon: I run around for 2 minutes with the killer and like one generator being done. Then, everyone crouches toward the hook and no one continues working on generators because everyone is so desperate for the unhook. The killer sees one of them, hits him, another one immediately feels totally confident that they can safely run, the killer notices and hits them as well, downs them shortly after - and so we have two people on the hook and one injured.
As a killer, my life is too easy. Unless I play SWF, I rarely have a challenge to win even on rank 1 - without (intentional) tunneling or camping. When randoms play together, they are usually too selfish to actually effectively work as a team. A good SWF team is a different story obviously - but that is not the usual case. At least not on PS4. I get double pips on a regular basis with almost all killers and mediocre add-ons, and that's not because I'm that good, but because most survivors make huge mistakes lots of times.

This sounds like these people are really bad, but that's not what I'm trying to say - these people usually don't play totally unskilled or anything, but they are far from how they could ideally play.

My suggestion: make it harder to pip at different bounds, let's say rank 10, 5 and 2. Let the last step to rank 1 actually be a challenge.
Which parameters do we choose to determine the harder rank-ups? I honestly don't know, maybe one step would be to cross 20.000 bp in addition to the emblems. Or some other bp value. Or maybe something totally different, but something has to be done about this.

Dead by Daylight has the potential to be a highly strategic game with lots of high level mind games and quality team plays, but that only works if all players involved play at about the same skill level.

Opinions on this?

Comments

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

I liked the victory cube.
    I think killer should get ranked up on their ability to kill.
    And survivor should rank up on their ability to survive.
    Simple as that.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523
    edited October 2018
    I'm of the opinion that it's not too easy to rank up, it's just too hard to derank. Either way, whether you're under-ranked or over-ranked, you should ideally get to your proper rank as fast as possible.

Currently if you play enough in a month, chances are you're going to hit rank 1 regardless of your skill level. I feel like this is due in large part to the safety pip. You can do pretty poorly and lose and still secure a safety pip. You need to get completely destroyed to actually depip. Because of that, you're bound to rank up on average.

I would be curious to see what would happen if the safety pip was removed. I think you would see a lot more people spread out across the ranks if that were the case. If people were able to depip easier, they would have a harder time maintaining a high rank.
  • brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792
    The values of the emblems that you need to achieve to rank up should increase at ranks 15, 10, 5, and 2.
  • DexyIV
    DexyIV Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 515

It's hard to play as a team without communication, and there is no way to communicate if it's randoms. Instances like this are common, even at the higher ranks, because of this. The opposite sometimes happens too. Some survivors just stay on generators under the impression that the other teammates will get the unhook, then let the person on hook get into the struggle phase.

The difficulty of ranking up is supposed to increase due to the increase of skill in your opponents. That's the way it works in traditional rank games like League of Legends and Overwatch. But the ranking system in DbD is not traditional. There is no true trade of ranking progress. Everyone in the game is capable of pipping or not losing a pip through performing certain actions. In League of Legends, the winning team of 5 gains say, 20 points, while the other losing team of 5 loses 20 points. So skill in League is truly displayed because this system punishes you for losing so many games in a row. In DbD this is not the case.

Increasing difficulty at certain thresholds would probably just make the deranking problem even worse. It would be so much easier to derank and stay at that rank to get easier games. I think the ranking system as a whole needs a full overhaul after core problems are addressed at the higher ranks instead of difficulty thresholds being placed on each rank.

• Spicybarbecue
    Spicybarbecue Member Posts: 183

I was looking for the thinly veiled dick measuring thread, I see I'm in the right place

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Unfortunately to many complained after emblems and now here we are. Now we got easy pips so players feel good even when they did poorly and rank lock so resets are not so damning for noobs. Add to this we now have people posting their intentions to no longer rank up. Emblem idea was fine but the rank progression still needs work to sort skill from participation. 
  • DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

The first emblem iteration for survivors was perfect in my opinion. But survivors complained that it isnt easy enough to pip, so devs made it easy. Here we are now.

Btw, I think that climbing is too easy for both sides

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,862

@Wolf74 said:
    I liked the victory cube.
    I think killer should get ranked up on their ability to kill.
    And survivor should rank up on their ability to survive.
    Simple as that.

I agree. I miss those win conditions. Though on the survivor side of things, I do think that double pips should be attached to something besides bloodpoints earned. In that regard, the emblem system is better. In an ideal world this is what I would like to see.

Killer- reverts to old victory system. Survivor uses a hybrid of current emblem system and old system. If the survivor survives then the survivor pips regardless of what else the survivor did. But if the survivor doesn't survive then the score is determined by emblem system but with a higher standard. It is far too easy for a survivor to pip or not lose a pip while being sacrificed.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

I was looking for the thinly veiled dick measuring thread, I see I'm in the right place

We don't need to hear about your personal problems.
  • yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832
    last time they did survivors screamed about it endlessly
  • DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    For killer? No. For survivor? I don’t really care. 
  • Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647
    Why not reward for staying at rank 1... that's the thing really....  atm its more rewarding for players to stay at the low ranks and bully, they get more bp, more enjoyment for winning more mind games, able to 360 killers etc... when they hit rank 1 they only get a more experienced player to go against...
  • feffrey
    feffrey Member Posts: 886
    don't worry about rank they should be more worried about trash killers boosting because they face camp 
  • unclevincent
    unclevincent Member Posts: 40

@Bravo0413 That is really not my experience in the game. It's a problem that everyone thinks they are entitled to rank up, and by giving everyone the opportunity to rank up, we have not so bad players and very good players on the same level. But rewarding staying on rank 1 is a good suggestion, but to me we first need to make rank 1 a challenge to reach so it will be worth a reward.
    @DexyIV If people wish to stay at lower ranks in order to have easier games, nothing can stop them. Assuming you are referring to survivors, it is quite easy to counter such behavior as killer if you are good enough so you can get past that rank and move on. If not - that's the rank for you, you have to get better.

Again, the way I perceive the game concept of DbD is that 4 inferior survivors have to make a team play to win against one superior killer. Random survivors can't communicate so they obviously can't perform team plays like an SWF group. But it's one thing to not be able to get the full potential out of your team plays, and another thing to make obviously bad mistakes, be it out of selfishness or inexperience.
    And if survivors aren't able to even remotely play optimally, they shouldn't be on the highest possible rank.

• unclevincent
    unclevincent Member Posts: 40

@Peanits Good point with the deranking, unless you get found and caught right at the beginning of the game and tunneled, you are almost guaranteed a safety pip. You really have to mess up badly to lose one.