The_Bootie_Gorgon
The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
edited October 2020 in General Discussions

Ran across this, watch it or don't.

Steam charts at 11:03

Comments

• Veen
    Veen Member Posts: 706

I mean every game has period of ups and down, thus september really is a bright example because most people focus on School/work in that period. Thus usually a lot of game get released on september... USUALLY. This year makes an exeption for quite obvious reasons.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

I agree with almost everything he said.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

hope they get they act together.

• superpanda999
    superpanda999 Member Posts: 57

Thank you for posting this. I hope bhvr gets their crap together soon because I really don’t want this game to die. They better catch their mistakes now before it gets even worse.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

I don't agree with everything he says, but I do appreciate his talking points.

I also don't think this is the beginning of the end just because of the licenses they have and the lack of competition in this niche genre.

I will say some of the stuff they do just FEELS dirty.

• Negi
    Negi Member Posts: 378

I don't even think the game is that great but ya'll have been saying this forever. You said it last year, the year before that, when they changed ruin, when they nerfed X killer, when they nerfed X perk. It's not going to. No one has the balls to follow through despite constantly putting up with the buggy patches, questionable balance changes, and so on.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

It's looking grim but I don't think the game will die anytime soon. We've had people saying that for years.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

you'll notice that this is still 20K more than feb 2020, and what happened in 2020? COVID shut downs so people had more time to play. now countries and companies are starting to ramp back up and pulling people that need work that are also playing. school is also ramping up and people are hunkering down after a virtual start to school. this number is dropping organically. and also mid chapter patch also has a normal drop because people start taking breaks about now waiting on the new chapter in 1.5 months. IS there some problems? yes. does that account for the numbers? doubtful as there are other real life things happening. but look what happened in june and march, they jumped more than twice the number that just dropped.

Statistics can be warped which ever way. if you take this large drop and compare it to the two months before then it's HUGE, ITS a crash, but move the numbers out 9 months you see that something happened to have a 45% increase in players back then so you have to look at what is happening when that increase comes in then what is happening in the world now. so as people said xbox and ps4 are not included here because those numbers are not public knowledge. I would suspect that they have a corresponding large dip compared to the recent months but not compared to the last overall 9 months to a year. I once saw a slide show that showed a company was loosing money hand over fist, but all that was looked at was the over all profit and not what was causing it, what caused a company to loose millions? they opened 10 stores and had to hire a huge number of employees across the country. what happened to the company? absolutely nothing, they are still here and many still talk of them. what about the profits? those 10 stores turned that loss into a gain in 5 months. Again the numbers tell only part of the story and looking just at numbers with nothing for perspective that can be a frightening thing.

• Flawless_
    Flawless_ Member Posts: 323
    edited October 2020

This pretty much sums up how I feel right now.

• Pizzaislife
    Pizzaislife Member Posts: 2

I think there is a lot of truth in his video. Don't agree with everything but I believe we all feel the same about this halloween event :(

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985

There needs to be more voices vocal of BHVR. They're spinning out of control.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,180

He was good when pointing out factual information, especially regarding the excess of meat and the historical commentry on other games which had similar downfalls, battle passes, etc. He lost it a bit with when he started letting his emotions take over, which was a shame since he was providing decent commentry up to that point. He's clearly passionate though.

Sounds overall that various solutions include to maybe switch the creative in charge of new chapters over to a more mechanical role and re-invent the game - reducing the number of new characters in favour of new mechanics; increase the shard quantity and frequency (something I've always wondered why they never did); and slow down the number of patches to more quality-driven ones that introduce as fewer bugs as possible. The quick patch changes seem to be problematic. Obviously, there's more, but an overhaul of the game to make it fresh and more engaging for players may be the way forward.

• cloudface
    cloudface Member Posts: 93

I too agree with most of his points.

Tl; dr but I'm currently on annual leave for 4 weeks and thought I'd be playing DbD non-stop since I'm having a "staycation" at home, however I kept noticing after the first week I'd be getting more and more frustrated with the game and my "breaks" of playing something else like Rogue Company (because it's such an easy casual 3rd person shooter to play a few games of) or watching YouTube instead were getting longer and by end of second week I'd deleted DbD to take "a break" and play Detroit Become Human.

Now Halloween event has started but it feels like the pull to play again is getting on the old "could be better maybe this time and could get some cool extra stuff maybe" cycle you can easily fall into with DbD and it's events etc.

I'm a PS4 player so maybe all the glitches and bugs affect me more but I often wonder how many of us play this game out of a weird kinda "pot committed" poker type mentality ie "I've put so many hours in and invested a certain amount of money so I'll put up with frustration to keep the hope of a genuine GG alive".

It's probably a completely dead point for ages but I've been wondering for a while why BHVR doesn't just "heavily borrow" ideas from F13 where survivors have so many other options of "things to do apart from hold M1, hide and do the same loops you've done hundreds of times". 😕

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

I'd just like to point out that someone else brought up concerns over that exact same chart about a week ago.

The "last 30 days" that it was covering were late September to early October 2020. You know what was happening during those four weeks in DbD? Nothing at all.

It's the downtime between the end of a Rift and the usual starting period for the Halloween event. It's a pretty normal time for a lot of players to be taking a break from DbD between big things (even if the current event didn't pan out as nicely as everyone hoped).

There's also other big games that released recently which may be pulling players away for the time being, like Crash Bandicoot 4, Star Wars Squadrons, Doom Eternal, and Amnesia: Rebirth. Plus the massive surge in popularity of Fall Guys and Among Us (maybe even Phasmophobia too).

It's a decently large loss of concurrent players for sure, but probably nothing to worry about (so long as this nonsense with accidentally breaking the various ports of the game doesn't continue). It's certainly nothing like Anthem faced: losing over half of it's active playerbase within a couple months of it's own launch.

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

This. The numbers didn't went up when the event started, because they released a pretty bad event, listening to the opinion if many players.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

They don't even need to. That's what the mid-chapter patches are for. Unfortunately they're either not fixing the right things or not fixing enough and need to seriously pick up the slack now.

• Gilby
    Gilby Member Posts: 19
  • Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

I don´t think, that the player stats will spike due to the login reward.

People will just start the game, cash in their login reward, close the game and go play something else (like civ).

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209

I bet you ps4 is even higher with the fact they won’t optimize it and it’s almost unplayable right now. (Know this from experience as that’s my main console) A lot of my friends and myself have just left the game and are waiting to grind on Cold War zombies together next month.

• carpet1987
    carpet1987 Member Posts: 17

in my opinion what really make dbd die a sided with bugs is a community like this forum have almost 80% entitled killers main and they listen to them to make solo and casual survivor hate the game just simple as that . before i go killer main cry about my post the only thing u good at ;)

• Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

A load of friends who gave up on the game a while ago all got on for the first time in ages bc they were still game for the halloween event. You can imagine how long they stuck around after seeing a) no event and b) dbd doesn't work on ps4 anymore.

Anyway I reinstalled so I can log in for the shards before going to play something else, just in case the devs get bored of self-sabotage one day.

• dvsmoi6
    dvsmoi6 Member Posts: 8

Hurry up and nerf more killers and see what happens. Smf

• TheRealSnoFlake
    TheRealSnoFlake Member Posts: 14

Micro transactions keep games alive. You think a game that's basically free can operate without micro translations, then you're mistaken.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    edited October 2020

Players keep games alive. Doesn't matter how many microtransactions are there if you don't have anyone to sell it to.

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

What I find absolutely delicious is how their viewer ship is on Twitch! Currently they have less than half (26k) the views of Phasmophobia (60+k)(a rather newish game) while also artificially inflating their own stats with this Fog Whisperer exclusive charm BS.

• Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828

if you think about it, all those green months were quarantine months

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

Nailed it. I quit playing on PC months ago. Kept playing on PS4 Pro. Continued bugs, unfixed frame issues, the fact that every update is GUARANTEED to break some thing(s), the focus on skins and away from the game....led me to delete it about a week ago. BHVR is not going to change. They are who they are.

You lose nothing by quitting, and only gain the ability to play well designed games. Sooner more people quit, the better. You won’t miss anything with recolored rift skins, or the eventual bug that makes killers/survivors invisible and takes 2 years to fix.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875

FOMO over a charm is hilarious. Who the hell equips charms, much less cares to look at them?

• TheRealSnoFlake
    TheRealSnoFlake Member Posts: 14

The people complaining about micro transactions don't spend money, people like me do. I love them, I want skins. It makes it possible to pay for developers to work on code. That's just how it is.

• Hidon
    Hidon Member Posts: 27

Good. They need to learn that the community is what makes the game. You piss them off, ignore them and then expect them to give you money is not how this works. If they lose out and the game dies, thats on them. You dont skimp out on HALLOWEEN as a ######### horror game and expect that to fly. Utter clowns.