The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Totems and how easy it gets destroyed

I can't tell you how many times the BS placement of my totems.  They are right across from a generator or in broad daylight.  What's the point of putting on the perks of a totem if a survivor's can easily see it? They need to add something to wear it takes longer to clean or show on the map where the survivor is cleansing the totem. Because of that Thrill of the Hunt perk does not adequately help.  I'm sick and tired of my totems being destroyed in the first minute of the match.

Comments

• Skorpanio
    Skorpanio Member Posts: 605

I played as the wraith one game and first thing I did was getting over to that totem, when I get there it gets broken lmfao. feelsbadman I know that feeling...

• rebelhunter316
    rebelhunter316 Member Posts: 102
    Skorpanio said:

I played as the wraith one game and first thing I did was getting over to that totem, when I get there it gets broken lmfao. feelsbadman I know that feeling...

I know right. Even that notification isn't even enough. It's like what's the point of even putting it on.
  • Skorpanio

@rebelhunter316 said:
    Skorpanio said:

I know right. Even that notification isn't even enough. It's like what's the point of even putting it on.

Thrill of the hunt?
    It does slow cleansing down and does give a notification. But wastes a whole perk slot.

• DeadByFlashlight
    DeadByFlashlight Member Posts: 1,642

Last week I lost my complete setup: devour,ruin,haunted, i.e. LITERALLY 4 totems within the first minute.

• rebelhunter316
    Skorpanio said:

@rebelhunter316 said:
    Skorpanio said:

Thrill of the hunt?
    It does slow cleansing down and does give a notification. But wastes a whole perk slot.

Of course!  I was in the game last night where I got the notification then the totem got destroyed. It's like what the hell!
  • DeadByFlashlight

@Skorpanio said:

@rebelhunter316 said:
    Skorpanio said:

Thrill of the hunt?

You forgot that it opens the possibility for survivors to noise-spam totems which literally forces you to mute the game or DC

• rebelhunter316

@Skorpanio said:

@rebelhunter316 said:
    Skorpanio said:

Thrill of the hunt?

You forgot that it opens the possibility for survivors to noise-spam totems which literally forces you to mute the game or DC

That has yet happened to me. But I could imagine how annoying it could be.
  • Skorpanio

@DeadByFlashlight said:

I suppose but that doesn't do them anything, only wastes time. But it's still annoying...

From my point of view I think we need a general killer/totem buff.

• DeadByFlashlight

@Skorpanio said:

@DeadByFlashlight said:

I suppose but that doesn't do them anything, only wastes time. But it's still annoying...

From my point of view I think we need a general killer/totem buff.

Did that ever happen to you?

Playing without sound as killer is actually really hard, one survivor occasionally spamming the totem is definitely worth the time to mut the killer if we talk from a "gameplay perspective".

devs promised to rework the totem mechanics, but instead as usual they just introduced another perk that is supposed to fix those problems.

• rebelhunter316

I wonder if they've ever had totem placement done by the killer. Like, none of your totems are lit from the start. You can add the hex to totems when you find them, which would also let you re-start the perk if your first totem gets busted. This would put an interesting dynamic on survivors vs killers, since survivors would still want to cleanse non-lit totems, which would slow down the game. It would also give the killer the opportunity to not fully waste a perk if the totem is found right away. They'd also (kind of) get to chose the location of the totem.

Oh my God that would so be perfect. I would love that so much. I wonder if they could even implement that.  Have a totem insta down them or put him in injured state. That will make the survivors think twice of cleansing a totem. 
  • Khalednazari
    Khalednazari Member Posts: 1,433
    How would you rate this totem placement then? Happened thrice since this.
    https://youtu.be/ne6rTDrF4xE
  • Skorpanio

Just don't forget that you get this great spirit hex when buying her chapter.
    'Shattered Blood'
    It's not really p2p sinse you can get those perks in the shrine. But still annoying sinse you have to wait for it to pop up...

• rebelhunter316
    https://youtu.be/ne6rTDrF4xE
    That is completely unfair for the killer. Lol
  • Skorpanio

@DeadByFlashlight said:

devs promised to rework the totem mechanics, but instead as usual they just introduced another perk that is supposed to fix those problems.

Just don't forget that they've promised us better placement. And as the dentist prom Payday 2 says...
    ''Let's put this boat in the water, and find out if it leaks''.
    Basically, let's see if they accually fix thier problems or f up once more :)

• Skorpanio

@Khalednazari said:

LMFAO

• iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

@Khalednazari said:

Oh jeez.

• MisterCremaster
    MisterCremaster Member Posts: 614

@Khalednazari said:

Its a ######### placement, but haunted ground does a lot to combat this. I've lost a number of games because my fellow survivors were cleanse happy. "Oh, you're being chases? Game just started and killer is patrolling and we don't know who it is or where htey are?" BOOM Exposed. Dead.

I'll always test a gen before I cleanse a totem. If its not hexed, I'll probably wait until I can figure out what the other hexes might be, and assume its haunted.

That said, haunted puts survivors in a weird position because if I cleanse it, I have the opportunity to hide when I'm exposed because I know it MIGHT be haunted... but my fellow survivors might be in a terrible position to get exposed all of a sudden.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    I don't think you should have to equip more hex totems to fix the issues with hex totems. You waste to many perk slots that way and the bad placements counter what synergy they create.
  • rebelhunter316
    I don't think you should have to equip more hex totems to fix the issues with hex totems. You waste to many perk slots that way and the bad placements counter what synergy they create.
    And I can't tell you how many times my totems been right in front of a generator. Or right in the middle of the field in farm. Or right where they can basically see it when they run past it. 
  • Grimbergoth
    Grimbergoth Member Posts: 293

@Skorpanio said:

Just don't forget that they've promised us better placement. And as the dentist prom Payday 2 says...
    ''Let's put this boat in the water, and find out if it leaks''.
    Basically, let's see if they accually fix thier problems or f up once more :)

they have promised us several fixes they haven't implemented yet , long before totem placement . anytime they say upcoming or soon I don't hold my breath , beacuse it usually means maybe after you finally get fed up and quit …

As far as the hex thrill of the hunt it only really works to your advantage if you are already close to the totem or running a full hex loadout as it only slows 6% and the notification if you are across the map isn't enough to get there before its popped . If your running something like haunted ground , ruin , thrill then you might stand a chance at getting there in time since it would now be 18% slower assuming you haven't lost any totems already .

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    I think there should be a weaker but passive TOTH for hex totems until the totem spawns get fixed. 
  • Grimbergoth

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:
    I think there should be a weaker but passive TOTH for hex totems until the totem spawns get fixed. 

the fix was adding haunted grounds in with the spirit since you get 2 traped totems , but even at level 3 once one is used the other vanishes so basically the perk give you a one shot of 60sec exposed for tier 3 perk . That has been as close to a fix as they have come since release , totem placement has always been a joke .

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:

the fix was adding haunted grounds in with the spirit since you get 2 traped totems , but even at level 3 once one is used the other vanishes so basically the perk give you a one shot of 60sec exposed for tier 3 perk . That has been as close to a fix as they have come since release , totem placement has always been a joke .

Haunted Grounds shouldn't remove the other trapped totem. Once it's gone, any and all other hex totems are gone within a matter of seconds.
  • Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

I think totem placement should follow a couple simple rules.
    1. Totems don't spawn within 15 meters of a generator.
    2. Totems only spawn in locations where vision of the totem is obstructed by 75% or more (270 degrees).
    3. Survivors spawn at least 30 meters away from active hex totems.

If they just did those 3 things, that would resolve many of the complaints about hex totems.

• Grimbergoth

@Doc_W__HOLLIDAY said:

Haunted Grounds shouldn't remove the other trapped totem. Once it's gone, any and all other hex totems are gone within a matter of seconds.

I would think so too but as soon as one is cleansed the other deactivates and you get a 60 sec exposed on all players , that is at rank 3 .

@Dreamnomad said:
    I think totem placement should follow a couple simple rules.
    1. Totems don't spawn within 15 meters of a generator.
    2. Totems only spawn in locations where vision of the totem is obstructed by 75% or more (270 degrees).
    3. Survivors spawn at least 30 meters away from active hex totems.

If they just did those 3 things, that would resolve many of the complaints about hex totems.

I have to agree with you on that , trouble is they would have to rework the placement on 99% of the totems and assign fixed spawns for survivors which they wouldn't do .

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,850

@Grimbergoth said:

I have to agree with you on that , trouble is they would have to rework the placement on 99% of the totems and assign fixed spawns for survivors which they wouldn't do .

How long could it possibly take to adjust the potential spawn locations of totems? As for the survivor spawn location that would be super easy. Just make the game ask a question a simple question before it starts. "Is the survivor within 30 meters of an active hex? If yes, try again, if no proceed." Pretty simple. While they are at it, they should also do the same thing with killers. "Is the survivor within 30 meters of the killer? If yes, try again, if no proceed."

• Grimbergoth

@Dreamnomad said:
    How long could it possibly take to adjust the potential spawn locations of totems? As for the survivor spawn location that would be super easy. Just make the game ask a question a simple question before it starts. "Is the survivor within 30 meters of an active hex? If yes, try again, if no proceed." Pretty simple. While they are at it, they should also do the same thing with killers. "Is the survivor within 30 meters of the killer? If yes, try again, if no proceed."

I never said it was too difficult to do , I said it would take effort . these issues have been here since launch and they cant find the time to put the effort into it , or wont , whichever you prefer to believe . After the incident back in feb of what was said openly and then later retracted about killers I don't see them putting much of any effort into them ….

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

@DeadByFlashlight said:
    Last week I lost my complete setup: devour,ruin,haunted, i.e. LITERALLY 4 totems within the first minute.

I had this happen against a 4-man SWF. They just simultaneously cleansed all of my hexes. It's very effective considering they're spread out, and I can only get one down in that time with Haunted Ground triggered.

• dontTouchMyGens
    dontTouchMyGens Member Posts: 35
    How about they implement a mechanic where you need a specific item in order to be able to cleanse totems. The item would spawn in a random location on the map, maybe in a chest. So the survivors would have to look for the item first. This would slow the game down a bit and would prevent totems from being cleansed in the first minute. Also, only the survivor with the item could do the cleansing.
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

@Khalednazari said:

As a "Devour Hope 24/7" player, i hate you now.
    Also, i hope you realize, before reading this sentence, that i'm not serious about hating you. :p

• not_RSB
    not_RSB Member Posts: 27
    TOTH should injure survivors when they cleanse a dull totem , that would be a nice buff to it and noed as well
  • rebelhunter316
    How about they implement a mechanic where you need a specific item in order to be able to cleanse totems. The item would spawn in a random location on the map, maybe in a chest. So the survivors would have to look for the item first. This would slow the game down a bit and would prevent totems from being cleansed in the first minute. Also, only the survivor with the item could do the cleansing.
    I am on board with this. I personally think there should be an item to cleanse a totem. Or add a debuff for cleansing totems. Make the players rethink their actions when they start cleansing.
  • KingB
    KingB Member Posts: 747
    Why not just make TOTH a base mechanic? Then rework it to something else?
  • purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661

@MisterCremaster said:

@Khalednazari said:

Its a ######### placement, but haunted ground does a lot to combat this. I've lost a number of games because my fellow survivors were cleanse happy. "Oh, you're being chases? Game just started and killer is patrolling and we don't know who it is or where htey are?" BOOM Exposed. Dead.

I'll always test a gen before I cleanse a totem. If its not hexed, I'll probably wait until I can figure out what the other hexes might be, and assume its haunted.

That said, haunted puts survivors in a weird position because if I cleanse it, I have the opportunity to hide when I'm exposed because I know it MIGHT be haunted... but my fellow survivors might be in a terrible position to get exposed all of a sudden.

You could also do it if someone is injured in a chase because then typically it won't matter as it should wear off before she moves to someone new.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532
    Which is why I don’t use them. 
  • rebelhunter316
    Which is why I don’t use them. 
    I might go down that road. I was playing the Asylum map. One my totems was literally outside of a hallway..... Fair totem placement...
  • SanKa_Games
    SanKa_Games Member Posts: 201

@MisterCremaster said:

@Khalednazari said:

Have you ever heard about EW3? It's ONLY 60 seconds, which is exactly the time you'll have to waste on a good survivour to find and chase him. They also might break it while you're chasing an injured survivour, which will lead to this perk being absolutely useless. Not to mention that it give you 2 more totems to patrol, since you don't know which one isn't Haunted Grounds. And it doesn't stop them from breaking totems, because 90% of survivours would break any hex they see without thinking.

• MisterCremaster
    MisterCremaster Member Posts: 614
    @SanKa_Games I don't bother patrolling totems either way. Have more success patrolling gens.  I found patrolling totems just helps survivors find them. 
  • NoxiousOnnyyxx
    NoxiousOnnyyxx Member Posts: 343

I don't mind the easy totem finds in maps like The Game or the hospital, but as of lately they have been so easy to find. I feel like they hide Hex: Haunted Grounds in the most obnoxious places.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

Totems are essentially either:

a) a perk that is annoying enough that players don't do generators and instead focus on seeking out totems to destroy, prolonging the game and making it easier for the killer to get more hooks, ie; Ruin

b) a perk that is so strong that it is made to purposefully be potentially removed because it would be too powerful without the option of removing it, ie; NOED

Hex: Thrill of the Hunt helps a bunch, especially when you play Hex Perk heavy characters like the Hag.

They definitely need to get a boost with how they are hidden, as well as add skill checks. Maybe instead of pressing R1, the button can be random and change. sometimes R1, sometimes x, or square, etc.

Or maybe a killer can spend time rebuilding the totem. That would be interesting to be able to have that option. It could even give points for worshiping the entity. Also, it would be could to reinforce the Totems if you so choose when playing killer. like maybe it will produce a new graphic with a larger totem that takes 1.5 times as long to cleanse?