Why is playing killer suddenly so much harder or am I losing it?

As the title implies. Why is killer suddenly so much harder? I've been playing for years but more consistently since the release of Oni. The majority of that time has been spent as killer and while I'm not the best I have been consistently rank 1.

Until recently. Since the last reset and the update literally every game is a pure sweat fest and no matter which killer I use and what perks I have I can't buy a kill! Every chase seems to be impossible because I can't hear anything over the chase music! They seem to find twice as many pallets as usual and they're always safe pallets. Every totem is gone almost instantly especially if I use undying which always goes in the first 15 seconds. Generators are always being finished so fast that I can't find a single person before one pops and when I DO find someone two more always pop instantly. The (completely unnecessary) pop nerf means when I do finally catch someone I either let them get unhooked and seemingly instantly healed to go hit a gen or the gen gets finished and my pop does nothing. And just to top it off I'm looking directly at walls and still getting blinded by people!

Is there something I'm missing? I'm doing everything exactly the same as before and yet I almost never get a single kill anymore let alone a 4k!

Comments

• James4125
    James4125 Member Posts: 266

For me I've always done pretty well with Oni Spirit Legion and Pyramid head but those are the ones I'm currently struggling with the most! It's just so frustrating!

• ToxicMyers
    ToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295

Yeah. I can't get ######### with nurse and before i was able to do decently against red ranks now purple are shitting on me lol

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

I'be been tracking my killer stats for a while, and I haven't noticed any significant spikes in win- and killrate recently.

• James4125

I'm even playing against the exact same people! I recognise the gamertags (Xbox no cross play) and I know their tactics and sometimes even perks but I can't even get close a lot of the time!

• James4125

Xbox. And I am playing those killers! I play all the killers with the same recent non results.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,197

It might be different survivor tactics you're coming up against that you've not experienced, or an increase in the quality of players.

However, it may well just be a natural ebb and flow. In an experiment conducted on pilots, they tried to find out how people's performance reacted to positive or negative encouragement. What they actually found out was that both approaches had little overall effect on pilots passionate about their job. Instead, they had a certain level of skill they reached, that they would sometimes either exceed or fall short of, but then would come back to their original level.

Basically, you may just be hitting a lower performance, but will probably bounce back. Try not to become too concerned with this. :)

• James4125

Yeah I understand that and that's part of what makes killer more enjoyable but it's only very recently I've been struggling. Before that I could reliably 4k with every killer bar nurse and Billy who I don't enjoy playing.

• James4125

Yeah hopefully that's all it is. I did finish up the night with a very fun Leatherface 4k which was very nice.

• solidhex
    solidhex Member Posts: 889

Had definitely the same experience especially in the evening and night hours. Not really high ranks (probably don't play so often) but damn they played really effective, gens were flying and nobody was doing mistakes so i basically had to break every single pallet while looping, and then the game was over. Not fun.

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241

You know footsteps and survivor sounds are way louder now right? As well as the newdust animation which leaves a trail if you can't follow scratch marks up close.

Sounds have hoenstly never been better.

• Chewy102
    Chewy102 Member Posts: 613

Today was the first time playing since August and it has been rather relaxed, more or less. Only played 4 games and all but 1 was rather calm. If anything Survivors have gotten rather tame compared to what I remember. Still at rank 5 and was matched with other red/purple ranks so I was expecting to be trashed due to rust. That wasn't really the case.

Outside of the first game playing as Wraith where I only earned a 2k and got Tbagged at the gates. All 4 games was rather tame. An easy-ish 4k as Deathslinger, a down to the wire 4k as Hillbilly, and another medium 4k as Demogorgon. Im not a bad Killer but I do recall DbD high rank Killer being a bit harder than that. Ran into a fair number of mixed crossplay with PC though. So odds are it was just luck getting solo/duo players.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

Too many pallets

• DarKaron
    DarKaron Member Posts: 615

I don't know what it is, but my bread and butter, Freddy, just suddenly stopped working the last time I played, and my Blight build was stomped into dirt before I could even begin.

Gens fly way too fast, even when I experimented sith Jump Rope-Swing Chains Forever Freddy, and I don't understand where all the Survivors are, where they're going, or why the hell I can't capture them.

I have no clue what's going on anymore, but something happened.

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135

I really feel bad for new players. Nothing like playing against 18s who are running DS, UB, BT, and some other perk.

If we want to find balance in the game, maybe we have to start earning the right to use perks that belong to other characters. You want to play as Nea or the Wraith? You have to use at least 2 of their perks. You ranked up, now you can use 1, you finally hit red rank... the world is your oyster.

• Withered8

A) I'm on pc dude. 3000 hours. Only problems i've ever had are on Ormond (which is much better now) and with survivors sometimes getting free iron will

B) What sound issues r u even having?

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

If your facing the same people they probably figured you out

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

I can't say my matches are harder recently. More like they've actually been easier. I've switched to GF, pretty fun, back at R2, but most of my competition are purple and green.

I have seen, however, a rise in TTV and their SWF buddies. Not any more difficult than usual, just more of em.

• James4125

Couldn't disagree more. At one point last night I was chasing a Bill who was injured around one of the classroom pallets on Midwich. He had no iron will and I had stridor in any case and I couldn't hear him at all over the nearby generator and the chase music.

• James4125

They're much harder but still playable. Although I don't play Nurse.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

I feel like it's gotten easier than ever, tbh.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

This patch, footsteps are bugged again. They usually get fixed and then the next patch/hotfix they break again.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843

I’ve noticed a drop in quality of my teammates, while playing killer I’ve been getting green/purple ranks

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396

This is why I don’t feel bad when I tunnel or camp good players. They intentionally derank to take advantage of weaker Killers, I’ll take advantage of their altruism and not give a damn about their feelings.

• jisp3r
    jisp3r Member Posts: 317

Those 20s taken from Pop really hurts... If you go straight to a gen you lose possible chases. If you chase, you lose Pop. I'm using Surge now but it is also garbage...

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604

@James4125 it is the same for me. One thing to note is I play PS4 and the performance on console is always changing with each patch.

With good patches, the game is smooth and I can do quite well as killer. When its a bad patch, then you can just forget it and I will play survivor instead.

So, dont believe you are getting bad at the game as time goes on.. Its the patches on console ruining everything

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719
    edited October 2020

I think that with the last 2 patches there is a new healer meta. If I look at the killers that you play as, they're all killers that rely on getting survivors injured and keeping them injured. With the meta being what it is, you may find more success with Plague, or Billy.

• Spirez
    Spirez Member Posts: 674

New tome always brings back the sweats.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

You're likely making more mistakes and you just don't realise it, or survivors really are getting better so you may have to step up your game to keep up. This patch is also extremely buggy and broken so you could probably use that as an excuse rn lmao, I know I have. Literally 1 dead hard to avoid a hit has actually worked as survivor this week, out of maybe 15 tries to avoid one. And as killer, a lot of them have really weird camera issues right now. I wanted to try out the new pyramid head but holy hell that camera wobble after cancelling his power is so disorienting. It's as though he downed 12 pints right before the trial started and can barely walk straight anymore.

• James4125

I play almost all the killers. I was just using those as examples because they are typically the ones I have most consistent results with. Plague is one I enjoy but never have been especially successful with.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

It’s not you. Killer is in a very bad spot (especially with the horrible frames on console) right now. Most of the time it’s just DBD being crappy.

• BugsGalore
    BugsGalore Member Posts: 57

I've noticed that there are a lot more full meta squads since the release of the new tome, it's making killer a total nightmare since I've been getting super into pig recently.

• cindlemain
    cindlemain Member Posts: 92

There is definitely something up with killer right now. I mainly play survivor and I've been doing solo que while friends work or sleep ect. Normally out of 10 matches I might escape half, depends on the team.

However this last weekend I was only sacrificed twice out of twenty matches Saturday and hooked maybe a handful of times. Same on Sunday and some of the killers I was up against I've played with before and they always get 4k, every Match no exceptions.

And I'm not even gonna talk about the swf squads I played with. It was horrible what they were doing to the killers expecally the new ones.

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209

Nah it’s they gave back infinite’s and also added pre dropped pallets near them while buffing or leaving alone strong survivor perks and nerf the mediocre to good and sometimes downright weak killer perks.

• Withered8

Were you standing right in front of the generator? Cause that would explain a lot.

the sounds may not be perfect but they are far better than they used to be, and ppl won’t admit it.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695
    edited October 2020

A streamer by the name of Tericho uploaded a recent YouTube video where he shows off Steam stats for Dead by Daylight. In it he shows that within the past 30 days Dead by Daylight has lost almost 9,000 players.

A lot of it has to do with the game being 4 years old and still being full of glitches and bugs. The matchmaking is utter crap which sends new players fleeing, not to mention dead by daylight has probably one of the worst grinding mechanics of any game in recent memory.

All of this is culminated to where only the most dedicated of players that have hundreds if not thousands of hours invested into the game are the ones left standing, which is why so many matches end up being a sweat fest.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193

A lot of swfs returned to play event and new archives

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

I blame the new killer stance in the beginning. If you look horrible you will play horrible, it's just psychology.

• James4125

Nope. The generator was on the far side of the room and Bill was only on the far side of the pallet.