Surge is better than Undying

Options
gatsby
gatsby Member Posts: 2,532

Surge stacks with Ruin now so the two perks have great synergy on Killers that down with M1 attacks. -8% gen progress with almost every down with Ruin's 200% regression really puts an exclamation point on the sentence when you're interrupting generators. Plus, Surge sticks around all game no matter what so you still have something to work with if you lose Ruin.

Personally, I've noticed that the Undying meta has made Survivors bring stuff like Detectives Hunch more and just be better about knowing totem spawns in general. Undying sometimes just delays the inevitable because at Red Ranks the Survivors often times will often cleanse every totem and the game goes downhill pretty quickly after you super Hex reliant build is deactivated.

Comments

• BattleCast
    BattleCast Member Posts: 698
    Options

Surge is soooooo slept on. I've been using it in my Legion build as my only slow-down for the past ~200 games and its done an amazing job. The buff it got recently has definitely made me even more addicted to the perk.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

I've become so attached to Stbfl + Nurses Calling + Tinker + Whispers I couldn't imagine replacing any of them with Surge and Ruin. I'll give it a go but I'm not saying I'll like it lol.

I'll probably replace Stbfl and Nurses as Tinker.

Though I will miss those surprise blink downs on mending survivors lol

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited October 2020
    Options

ruin+undying on the right killer like legion or blight is better than surge+ruin. this is especially true if the killer your playing often lands their secondary attack because surge doesn't work if you down someone with one.

tbh i would run surge more often if the regress % was slightly higher at like 15% or if it worked for non basic attacks or even if the cooldown was removed. as it is if your running a killer that often lands a non basic attack i would run pop on them instead of ruin+surge or undying and find a second perk that works well on them.

I feel like the perk just gets outshined by pgtw since its poor regression compared to pop along with its cooldown makes it not desirable unless you want to ignore gens as nurse or something.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104
    edited October 2020
    Options

replace it with just ruin and unless the perk gets cleansed right away which is not too rare but uncommon enough to run it then you will get way more early game pressure which can carry you to a win.

my legion runs ruin, spirit fury, enduring, and blood echo and i just go on a killing spree after i get 3 survivors with frenzy. they want their exhaustion perks so they also often heal which takes around 30 seconds which ruin is regressing gens and if they play safe i get them after the first or second loop. during this time gen progress is practically dead until ruin is cleansed. by the time its cleansed i usually have 3 to 5 hooks with 1 or no gens done.

edit: like just making someone mend after using frenzy takes away more progress on that gen then surge can and your doing that constantly compared to how many times you get surge to activate.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

As part of Franklin’s base, Killer’s should be able to stomp on the survivor’s item after it’s been demised or strike it with their weapon (brief animation to the effect of a very short stun) rendering it damaged, cutting the remaining charges in half.

Just an option, could prove effective should a survivor manage to retrieve the dropped item.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    Options

Id much rather stab survivors with their key or beat them over the head with their own toolbox.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256
    Options

The range limit is pretty garbage, and if the survivor goes down in an inconvenient spot the perk is utterly useless. There's a reason Pop Goes the Weasel is very popular.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957
    Options

Well I tried this build . . . I got 3k, downed the 4th and gave them the hatch because it felt really cheap. Does the job I guess but it didn't feel as fun as my usual Stbfl + Nurses Calling + Tinker + Whispers. Having sacrificed Whispers and Nurses Calling I felt quite blind as to where Survivors where and couldnt get my usual jump scares in nearly as often.

• Negi
    Negi Member Posts: 378
    edited October 2020
    Options

Range is too short. If it was 48m I would use it but too often I down someone and gens are not nearby.

• Lazerboy88
    Lazerboy88 Member Posts: 517
    Options

Not really a fair comparison tbh.. you can’t compare surge to undying because they are for different uses, surge is gen slowdown where as undying just preserves totems. Ruin is where the slowdown comes from when you run undying you just do it to preserve ruin, so why not run surge as well, ruin surge undying then some tracking perk or chase perk.

• xenofon13
    xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241
    Options

"Educational killers" and surge. The biggest waste of perk slot.

Ohh my gen lost 8% within 32 meters. What shall i do now??? I pop the gen without interruption.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

Surge would be a lot better if it didn't have the totally unnecessary punishment of being basic attacks only. What's even the purpose? You still have to down a survivor near a gen. It's not exposed or something, where it might make certain killers super powerful. A down is a down. It almost seems like it's there to keep Bubba from getting multi-regression with his chainsaw on some potatoes all stacked up, because I can't think of any other way the basic attack requirement makes sense. Except even that makes no sense because it can only be triggered once every 40 seconds, so why??

• TheMonadoBoi
    TheMonadoBoi Member Posts: 345
    Options

Tbh when you think survivors get 16 perks and most meta perks only need to be used by one person in a squad (BT, Unbreakable, etc) I don't think it's too crazy to ask for a Killer 5th slot.

• jisp3r
    jisp3r Member Posts: 317
    Options

I use Surge because Pop is dead and RUin Undying is boring and I can say Surge is bad.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,664
    edited October 2020
    Options

Can anyone confirm if Surge damages gens while Hex Ruin is active and the gen is regressing/NOT being worked on?

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,532
    Options

Yes. It does now. Except it only does it once. So you can't hit the same gen with Surge twice unless someone touches it. Because Ruin by itself doesn't technically count as "damaging a generator"

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985
    Options

Surge would be so good if it didn't have a cooldown.

• gamblor6
    gamblor6 Member Posts: 25
    Options

Honestly I might actually do this cos 95% of my games undying gets broken first and I’m done with it at this point

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794
    Options

Ditto here. It's rare for me to see Ruin/Undying last for more than 3 minutes, and then I'm down 2 perks. I guess I'm still getting value out of it though since I'm winning so many matches, and since survivor mains haaaaate that combo.

I might give Surge another try. Ijust hate that it only eorks with basic attacks. Surge is weak enough as it is without having so many requirements.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

Surge, Ruin, Undying, Thana = ouchie hurtie no no

• ImighthaveDS
    ImighthaveDS Member Posts: 18
    Options

Surge is not weak. It can regress multiple gens and save you time having to go kick them. The time spent having to not kick gens is what can make it so powerful. It's very strong if you understand how to value your time and split pressure.

• OGBatDad69
    OGBatDad69 Member Posts: 32
    Options

Im a big fan of PGTW and Overcharge its been good to me! :)

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159
    Options

"Surge" is okay. But definitly not on a level with ruin.

• Hamburgerlar
    Hamburgerlar Member Posts: 58
    Options

I enjoy the perk that keeps ruin going like the Energizer Bunny. The extended lifespan on it simply is priceless.

Do what you want though. But a lot of us find that undying is absolutely worth taking due to how much time it makes survivors waste. And time being one of the key components in this game shows it's worth and it's entirety.

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358
    Options

Undying + ruin isn't even good to me. There are better more efficient ways than undying. Just cleanse it and the hex totems and you've lost two perks as killer When most killers need all their perks. It might work when survivors don't like going for totems or can't find them but all it takes is two people to cleanse while one is being chased and another doing gens.