Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Killers, how long did it take you to “get good”

2»

Comments

• Kalinikta
    Kalinikta Member Posts: 709

124h to get to rank 1

Estimate another 500 to 1000 to actually be good.

• Tricks
    Tricks Member Posts: 957

^ not quite there yet . . . I'm sure I'm close though.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    edited October 2020

I play both sides very equally and I also play all killers. However, I would say I was decent until around 900-1000 hours. After that, I must say that I really started to perform well and I feel confident to go against anyone really. Online videos definitely helped me achieve my current level of skill.

However, it can be a bit unclear sometimes when a full SWF team brings a farm map offering and I only get one kill due to that player playing kind of dumb because then that person will tell me that I am trash at the game... I am talking to that one guy I went against as pig where he failed his dead hard and got grabbed right at the exit gate.

Post edited by Yords on
  • The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

After 8 shots of tequila, I'm the best killer ever 😂😂😂😂☠☠☠

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Six, seven months, maybe? It took awhile before I found a sweet spot with a main. I played a lot of Trapper, then Hag. Huntress for awhile. Stayed away from stealth killers till later this year. It wasn't until I found the glory that was Plague that really let me get into my grove. She taught me a lot. It was when I fell into her that I started watching streamers, such as Tru3 and Otz. They really help up my game, and spread out to other killers.

I currently have over 700 hours clocked in, and I'm still learning. It's never set in stone. So, take your time. Don't rush it, find a streamer that you click with, and don't be afraid to spend matches with a goal in mind (land three hatches or hit all four in one feral lunge) and call it a day. Heck, if you need to take a break, do so. I've gone a week or two without touching the game, and it gave me a clearer head.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

I'm still bad. KEKW

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,241

Ehhh depends from person to person. I know some killers who have over 5k hours and I woudl still say they are bad at the game, yet i've seen really good killer players with only 100 hours or so.

Personally it didn't take me too long becuase I was able to grasp the concepts of the game pretty quickly. I reccomend starting out with a main or a character who you play consistently so you can get very good at one playstyle first and then apply these skills to other killer.

• ME_WeT_SauZe
    ME_WeT_SauZe Member Posts: 12

I still have quite a lot of work myself but once you play enough and find the right killer for you things get easier, just as long the matchmaking doesn't throw you into a match with really high ranked survivors. That actually happens a lot more than you would think. And watch ohtofu and otzdarva on youtube they do really good gameplay reviews and tutorials on all killers

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298

As someone who plays mostly survivor, but knows he is better than 90% of the killers out there here are a few tips:

1. Learn how to play each killer without addons. Too many people only play killers with their best addons and get carried by said addons. If you are good without them, you will be godly with them. No matter what these forums tell you every killer is viable even without addons.
    2. If you cannot hit a survivor or get them to drop a pallet every ~20 seconds in a chase, you are usually making a mistake. Drop the chase and go stop people from doing gens.
    3. There are a lot of good videos on YouTube on how to properly run tiles/shack as killer. Find them and watch them. Every time a killer learns how to run a tile properly one complaint post on these forums magically disappears.
    4. Despite the fact that Stranger Things seasons 2 and 3 are ######### terrible you should play Demogorgon because everyone loves Demogorgon.
  • Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I’m still not good. ######### happens.

• lee0985
    lee0985 Member Posts: 1

Ive got 30 hours in and needed this post after some toxic arseholes roasted me on the chat last night and made me feel like giving up. I'll just gonna keep plugging away and hope it comes to me as the hours go on.

• Rellewd
    Rellewd Member Posts: 195

Just hours ago one survivor had quit, and they stomped me in Badham🤢

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

Try different killers, see what appeals most to your type of play style. Watch guides about that killer, experiment with different perks and builds. It’s different for everyone I got good after a few weeks of playing pre rework doc and they changed him so I had to learn adapt. That’s all there is to it learn and adapt.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

I have 2k hours and I am still learning. Most important thing is to have fun and try not to take it too seriously. There will be matches that are unwinnable due to factors outside of your control whichever role you play.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,754

I still haven't got good and I've been playing for over two years ;)

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871

A couple months. I started as a Killer main before I started playing Survivor. Though in those two months I spent all of my free time on the game, looked up multitudes of guides, read up on the wiki, followed many of the Dev's on social media, and all the while watching the biggest streamers. However even then I say I know even more now than when I considered myself good. I learned the in's and out's of Survivor and Killer. All the map layouts. I tracked totem spawns, pallet spawns, and hatch spawns (Please dev's start telling the public when you change spawn locations to make this easier on me). Also studied my win's, losses, emblems, and the kinds of players I run into (an exceeding amount of toxic players), and most used perks.

I learned that if you play Survivor right you are effectively immune, and if you play Killer right - it doesn't matter, and you get no reward if the Survivors play right (or at least make under only 12 mistakes - depending on the build). The game needs less Pallets, and make pallets spawn farther apart across most maps. People give Swamp an uneeded bad rep. etc etc etc

When will BHVR pay me for all this game testing 🤣😂

• NotACompPlayer
    NotACompPlayer Member Posts: 193
    edited November 2020

I started playing competitively as survivor and nurse at around 2500h into the game, tho I got really good for the pub level at nurse at around 800h.

• ToppingPanic
    ToppingPanic Member Posts: 77
  • eiredrake
    eiredrake Member Posts: 98

I'm still waiting.

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

Idk, when I started playing killer it took me like 3 weeks to reach red ranks (with no add-ons, no offerings, mostly base perks for each killer because I didn't have teachables unlocked). But I find killer kind of boring and repetitive & a lot of it is just knowing where survivors are going to run and beating them there by taking shortcuts lol.

• zoozoom6
    zoozoom6 Member Posts: 825

it mightve taken 300 hour to git gud with trapper and wraith but it gets faster once you have access to red ranks.yeah it suck to have less than 10 games with huntress or nurse and go against red rank but you learn so much faster than you would demolishing rank 20's who run in a straight line and dont use windows or pallets

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543

"Learn how to play each killer without addons. Too many people only play killers with their best addons and get carried by said addons"

You must be a time traveler from the year 2017.