Is it even worth it to kick gens if you don't run Pop.

UMCorian
UMCorian Member Posts: 531
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

Serious question.

I've found more and more, my games are won or lost within 5 minutes... and more and more, I find myself not even bothering to waste time kicking gens. Each game I play seems to depend on me being able to snowball - it doesn't matter what happens with gens, whether I get 3 hooks before they complete 1 or 1 hook when they complete 3... the only thing that matters is winning 1 chase, preferably quickly, while chasing them to the right part of the map where they have to choose between gens and rescuing, and then forcing trades.

In light of this, kicking gens feels like a waste of time.

Am I misplaying this? How do killers feel about the current pacing of the game at present. As a note, I typically don't run gen regression, as I don't have Pop (though I'm working on it, got Clown this weekend) or Undying. Without Undying, Ruin always goes quickly as savvy survivors Ruin check their gen and quickly make finding it their priority. So, I recognize I'm essentially playing with 1 hand tied behind my back already.

Comments

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Most of the time it's a waste of time yes. It declines iirc at 0,25 charges a second so for every 4 seconds it regresses it takes a single survivor 1 second to get their progress back.

When i kick gens without perk synergy it's mostly for information. Some gens can be seen from far away and to be able to see from a distance that there are still sparks so it hasen't been touched can save some patrolling time.

I think in multistory maps the sparks fall through the ceiling so you can check if a gen has been worked on from under the gen.

That said if there is a gen right next to a hook it ussually is worth to kick it. It's mostly travel time you want to avoid

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,444

Only if you are running Surveillance. Otherwise no, don't bother. Other perks that trigger on kicking a generator are bad and not worth running (Overcharge, Dragon's Grip).

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I say mostly yes, everyone else says mostly no. 🤷‍♂️

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited November 2020

If you just downed or hooked a survivor next to a gen and are ahead, sure. Otherwise, probably not - assuming you're not running any generator-related perks. The generator would have to remain untouched for over 8 seconds to compensate for the time you lost kicking it.

EDIT: Fixed the time. I thought it took 3 seconds to kick a gen, but it only takes 2.

Post edited by Orion on
  • Supernaut
    Supernaut Member Posts: 1,532

Surveillance says you totally should kick them! :)

• ShyPirate
    ShyPirate Member Posts: 377

Like others have said, definitely not worth it if you are in a chase or even hunting someone you think might be nearby. If you are just patrolling, might be worth a kick.

After kicking a seemingly abandoned gen, try walking off a bit then looking back at it. Sometimes survivors can't resist stopping the regression and will come out of hiding sooner than if you hadn't kicked it.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

It's worth it if you think your time spent kicking the gen will be refunded, meaning survivors won't be coming back to the gen anytime soon(around 30 seconds). I wouldn't mind a slight buff to it though.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I don't have Pop and I kick Generators all the time. I would have to say that if I didn't, I would lose a lot more games. Even if Survivors just come back to stop a Generator from regressing, you get an idea of where they are going to be. Heck, sometimes I kick a Generator move off knowing they will touch it, come back, kick it again and wash repeat a few times. Sometimes Survivors are so dead set on getting that Generator that they end up letting me kick it almost all the way down. It is strange but true. A Generator really close to popping is the best bait in the world.

• hurryingok
    hurryingok Member Posts: 49

If 2 are 3 stacked on a gen and they're desperate to get this particular gen done for some reason (chase 1 or 2 off and the other stays, then everyone keep coming back), I'll take advantage and kick the crud out of it with or without pop. Generally gets me at least one down. With Brutal this is particularly effective.

Conversely, if I chase a solo off a gen at the beginning, get a hit, but can't commit to the chase, I'll kick that gen. Often the survivor won't come back and it'll fully regress.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

It's not worth it

Regression is .25 c/s

Progression is 1 c/s

Pop does 25% instantly then normal regression takes over

Overcharge- takes missing a skillcheck

Huntress Lullaby- Takes missing a skillchecks

Ruin- .50 c/s

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

You were just hoping putting random numbers up would convince people? Sure generators don't regress at sonic speed, but it can be a lot of pressure with very little effort.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

If you’re absolutely certain no survivors are near it, and you’re not currently in a chase, then yes.

Many regression is better than none at all.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,444
    edited November 2020

But good luck finding the dark clothes Claudette crouching in a bush near the generator.

• Sunbreaker7
    Sunbreaker7 Member Posts: 651

It all depends on the situation and your/survivors' awareness at a given time. If you are about to start a chase against a full health survivor who is alone on a gen and that gen has healthy amount of progress already or about to finish, it is very good idea to kick the gen first before chasing after. However, if anyone else knows about that gen's location and can easily just come finish it while you chase the other survivor, there's no point wasting time kicking it and creating big gap between you and the survivor who ran away.

In another scenario, if the survivor is injured, it is always vital to go chase after them immediately, because more often than not, you are probably able to down them pretty quickly when caught off guard but if you stop to kick the gen, well, you just made your chase a lot longer.

Since there is SWF possibility, they can easily communicate someone to come to finish their gen while you chase them, which is a bit of a down side to this whole strategy. Here's hoping you don't get matched against SWF because that throws many strategies out of the window but that's part of the game.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited November 2020

Let me put it this way: Generators regress at 1/4 of the speed that survivors repair them. Kicking takes 2 seconds. In order to create 10 seconds of work for the survivors, you need them to leave it alone for 40 seconds. They can undo your regression in under half a second with nothing stopping them, to the point that even Overcharge let's them hit the skillcheck as they are running away to allow this gen tapping.

You are not supposed to kick generators. It is a mechanic that seems to exist primarily to enable perk abilities, suck as Overcharge, PGTW, Dragons Grip and Trail of Torment. Your time is 4× more valuable than a survivors, so don't bother taking 5 seconds of your trial to kick a generator unless you know for a fact that there is absolutely no-one anywhere near that will even remotely consider the possibility of tapping the generator, because it's roughly equivalent to you standing still for 20+ seconds as a survivor.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 746

If only the Devs buff Killer in which Kicking the Gen Grants 5% to 10% Instant Regression; maybe it would be worth the kicks! But sadly; Kicking doesn't grant that "Minimum Pop Goes the Weasel" benefit I wish, it just cause the Gen to spark, and begins the slow Regression process speed! 1/4 of a second of Repair is not worth the effort; when any hidden nearby survive can Tap the Gen and stop the Regression!

If you are running any Regression perks and builds, go for it; if not Do not Bother with Kicking Gens, you will waste time trying to waste Repair time that isn't even worth the effort! It 2.5 seconds that Survivors can used to Flee or Hide; while you are busy!

• MagnetBeard
    MagnetBeard Member Posts: 36

Honestly whether or not to kick isn't a binary question. If you have enough overall pressure that it's not gonna get tapped any time soon, it's fine to kick, but unless you have a lot of pressure, you're literally wasting your time unless you're only kicking it to double check if it's been abandoned.

• megswifey
    megswifey Member Posts: 826

I always kick gens, and with ghostface I wait a minute to listen for repairs before attacking, or with Plague I kick it and then I go BLEGHHHHHH all over it and then they get sick!! I also like regressing gens because if you do it again when monitoring a gen that has been getting tunneled, it goes down quite a bit.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

I never kick gens, I prefer to run surge over kicking gens anytime, kicking gens for the most part is useless so I suggest not to, the only exception for me is when using whispers and it's not on.

• Moundshroud
    Moundshroud Member Posts: 4,458

I hadn't done this math, and it certainly sounds bleak. I've always felt like I get a decent return on kicking them but now I'm not so sure. I don't kick every Generator; I am selective, but now I am wondering if I'm selective enough. I'm hoping Pop shows up on the Shrine for me to grab at some point. For the most part, I always run Ruin so that is how I cover.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    edited November 2020

I'll admit, I am making it sound worse than it is just because generally speaking you will get less value, BUT, no all value has to be direct regression. I often kick gens to force survivors back into the area or to trick them into giving away they they're stealthed in the area. It's especially effective on ranged or mobility killers.

Edit: By "often" I mean on the rare occasion I actually kick a generator without a perk, it's for these reasons

• APopp
    APopp Member Posts: 22
    edited November 2020

I heard from Umbra that a gen regresses 1% every 4 seconds so it's absolutely not worth it if the Survivors are just going to tap it immediately. The only time it will be useful is when you can guarantee a Survivor will not be around to tap it for a long period of time.

Besides that, I recommend kicking gens pretty often when using Surveillance without Ruin.

• BassTram
    BassTram Member Posts: 195

I main Bubba (my thick chili boi) and I started running Trail of Torment and getting some funny jumpscares on the indoor maps similar to Myers. But since gens go by relatively quickly I don't focus on kicking gens too much

• IMhereRUN
    IMhereRUN Member Posts: 606

The answer is 2-sided. If you know for a FACT that there are no other survivors near it, kick it. Otherwise, don’t bother.

The regression sucks, the kick animation takes 2 seconds. A survivor taps it for .18 seconds to stop regression.

IMO: If Devs were truly trying to strive for balance, they would make the stronger side have the same 2-second delay to restart progression on gens. Perhaps a normal skill checks that don’t repair at all for 2 seconds before progression resumes. Yes, I do understand this will create complications with new people, but there are not too many. The skill check should be base and not affected by killer powers or perks. The idea is make them waste the same 2 seconds, not give killers a free Overcharge from abusing this feature with Lullaby or other skill check perks/powers.

• CJCA915
    CJCA915 Member Posts: 56

I run Brutal and Pop, so breaking a generator isn't that time consuming. Hell, I've done it mid-chase lol

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719

kicking a generator next that's near a hooked survivor is legitimately useful. Because it's less likely to be worked on because there is another objective (saving the survivor) and when the survivor gets off the hook, they're (the hooked and unhooker) likely to try to finish that gen and any regression made is that much extra time for you to protect that gen, and if someone does work on the generator you'll get a visual indicator that someone has been in the area making it much easier to protect the hook if you are protecting the hook.

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358

It's usually not worth unless you know they won't be at it immediately or have pop. Maybe start hooking someone, downing another and assuming one is still hooked go for another. It pressures them all to take time to heal asap or hide to avoid getting slugged.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    1. Add a skill check that Survivor has to success to make progression again. Fail cause another explosion but stop regression, Success will do nothing but only allow progression to continue.
    2. Add at least 2sec startup animation on everything (gen, heal, gate, totem,chest ect). Startup animation add no progress.

Either one of those, that would fix.

• Eorpwald
    Eorpwald Member Posts: 46

I do but not all the time. Depends how many survivors or gens are left.

• sudintlink
    sudintlink Member Posts: 188

I know what your saying the same thing happens to me when I play killer. I either kill them and they get 0 or 1 gen done or they all get out usually within 5 minutes

• NursesIsNotOP
    NursesIsNotOP Member Posts: 9

well the only time i kick gens is when i run surveillance, and its when i cant find survivors sooo it just helps me find em.

• Rex3
    Rex3 Member Posts: 87

It gives points other than that no

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

It's not even worth kicking gens with pop.

But that's an unpopular opinion.

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 650
    edited November 2020

Gen kicking and pallet kicking are one of the killers emblems, so for pip sake, it may be a good idea to work your destruction during the match. I run a gen slow-down build to stretch out the matches, if they can't get gens done, they can't leave. I would say focusing on gens instead of chases has earned me more pips and points than the other way around. Also patrolling like half the map generally works to get people, especially randos to 3 gen themselves.