I don't see how trying to kobe in front of someone is toxic

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781

It is just a thing to try cause why not? It is not the end of the world, and it is a game that you play for fun (at least most people do). It is actually really funny and I have experience this many times both ways. What is toxic is how some people choose to let the person die because of it. Like, seriously? You would rather throw the game because somebody was memeing around?

Comments

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I can see what you mean, but very few people do this and end up going into second stage because of it. That is the thing I try to avoid.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564

You want unhook points and so do they. I always go for it and am not mad if anyone does on me.

I actually find it funny if it works or if they mess up and go second state.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I wait and attempt the kobe's right before I'm about to be saved because I want to work towards finishing the self escape achievement. I wait till I'm getting saved because I don't want to risk killing myself and ruining the match for my team with those attempts.

It's unfortunate that some people just assume you're trying to be toxic.

• TripleSteal
    TripleSteal Member Posts: 1,298

It's mostly about a ######### attitude of the one trying to kobe rather than the act itself

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

On avarage as a survivor you probably get 15000 bp a match

Unhooking yourself robs 10% of that of the player that stopped gaining points for working on gens to come and save you.

Now i won't throw any games for that unless i'm already in a sour mood. But it's not hard to see how that is kinda a jerkish thing to do and how it would trigger some people.

Now you do what you want ofcourse but you really can't blame the person to just leave you if you failed to unhook yourself.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,169

If only there was a big-ass thread talking about this very thing, still on the first page even (at the time of this comment)...

If such a thing existed, you'd probably get plenty of discussion and why some feel it is toxic and others feel like it's no big deal...

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

What wasted time? It's almost never going to work, so who cares about the tiny percentage of the time it actually does. You may as well pretend you unhooked them slightly more efficiently than pretend they 100% knew they were yeeting themselves into your smouldering face.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

It's not something I get super worked up over, but there's two big things that I do dislike about seeing it happen:

• I don't get credit for the safe unhook if they rescue themselves. This interferes with various Tome Challenges, Rituals, Achievements and (more importantly) my precious WGLF stacks. Especially annoying with the "unhook X survivors in one trial" challenges, since there's a pretty hard limit on how many Unhook score events can be accomplished per match.
    • I frequently see survivors do this and accidentally put themselves into struggle state seconds before I am able to rescue them. Meaning that if they get hooked again, the Entity will straight-up Kobe them into the sky instead of keeping them in the trial.

The solution I'd most like to see is: all players within a certain vicinity of the unhook, like 2-4m, would be given credit for the unhook and possible credit for a safe save if the rescued survivor isn't downed within 10 seconds. Give all the players involved the relevant points and they'd probably have solved the main grievance with this technique. Plus that's more BP opportunities for survivors, which is always a win in my book.

• BreadLord
    BreadLord Member Posts: 274

same with killers. they HATE being head on stuned

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,152

I don't care if someone unhooks themselves. They're getting points for it and there's an achievement to do it a bunch of times.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Totally fair point.

Slightly off topic, I wish more information was shared globally about a survivors chance to self unhook.

For example, I love the Slippery Meat, Up The Ante, Luck Offering combo. Other survivors should see the Up The Ante icon and KNOW what I’m doing. Do gens. Why are you running to my hook. If I’m unlucky and get to second stage, so be it.

And what ever happened to luck icon that would tell survivors they have an increased chance to unhook them selves?!

I get annoyed (just a little) when I’ve run the above combo and the luck offering is salty lips, meaning anyone else on the hook has a 16% chance to unhook themselves, but they’re not even trying at least once to unhook themselves, and others are racing off gens to do a save.

If the luck icon were present it would remind survivors on hook “oh yeah, I’ve got a much better chance of doing this myself”

• EntitySpawn
    EntitySpawn Member Posts: 4,233

you can attempt to unhook yourself, just dont be mad if i let you hit second stage or dont bother trying to help you later on. While im not massively fussed about it and i do wish deliverance told others you had it but its kinda lame for a survivor to leave what they was doing to cross the map for you get off the hook, they could of done a gen instead so not only is it not efficient but youre taking points away from that survivor who went out their way to help you and if they are trying to do a certain challenge etc. you could be ruining that as well because you just wanted to see if you could kobe and get the points.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

I wish more global info could be shared, period. But especially about Deliverence and Slippery Meat. To concede one point to the anti-kobe argument, it is extremely annoying to run up to unhook someone only for them to Deliverence off the hook, because... Well, what else are they going to do? Not use their one special perk? That is literally the reason to equip it.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,352

It's less being toxic and more annoying when you spend time running for the unhook only for the survivor to unhook themselves when you get there. I could have been working on a gen if I knew you were going to do that.

• ASurvkillivorer
    ASurvkillivorer Member Posts: 1,840

How is it NOT toxic to try and kobe for the sole reason your teammate is there and can unhook you before your status expires? You're taking a chance to steal the unhook from your teammate for zero other reason than you can.

If you're literally ONLY doing it because you know you will be unhooked instantly after the attempt is failed. Then you're being toxic.

• itsaconehead
    itsaconehead Member Posts: 236

If someone does it to me and they succeed I actually try to find a way to celebrate that 4% unless they're like me and have slippery meat.

• cynichism
    cynichism Member Posts: 52

You never really know what people are doing unless they're on comms with you. I was healing myself the other day because of a medkit deplete challenge. I'm not an especially competent survivor, but those are the challenges I have left, so I usually just try and hurry through them.

And got yelled at by a teammate who didn't get the heal.

So you know, whatever, not everyone is always out to grief people.

• Belzher
    Belzher Member Posts: 461

I always go for it if the person is coming and I will not reach second phase, it's actually funny if you manage to kobe in that situation SPECIALLY if playing with friends

• PlaysByShady
    PlaysByShady Member Posts: 590

I find it funny how survivors wait until their rescuer has run across the map and reached the hook before trying this.

If you really want to meme around, etc, then try unhooking yourself before anyone runs to you.

Oh, you won't? Is it because you realise you have relative safety from going to 2nd stage from the person who did come all the way? If so, that's why it's toxic to repay that with an attempt which is pretty much an F-U.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,553

Unless they have We'll Make It, people need to get the hell over themselves. Abandon your ego and pipe down, this is a moment to celebrate, not whine about your time or your points or your anything, not everything is about you.

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330

It is annoying when I miss out on perks that help the game:

BT doesn't activate and the killer gets a double clap

WGLF doesn't activate and it takes twice as long to heal

There's other perks that are used less, these two give the idea

Maybe I'm doing a rift to get saves, now that's another I need to do

(Minor point) I'm missing out on my bps om nom nom

(Minor point) If it's done stupidly, you can easily skip a hook stage. It's happened.

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330

As a person who runs Second Wind a lot self care-ing in my face makes me cry.

• sudintlink
    sudintlink Member Posts: 188

What isn't toxic in this game would be a better question. Game mechanics are toxic like sabotaging, slugging, and flashlights

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November 2020
  • Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

I use We're Gonna Live Forever, so if I was fixing a gen, left it and ran half across the map to save you and then you save yourself in front of me, costing me time, points and one token for the perk, yes, I will be mad and the next time you are on the hook it probably won't be a priority to save you. It was your choice to do that, it is my choice to do what I feel I should too...

• Raz_
    Raz_ Member Posts: 296

that is toxic? oh lord.

the word toxic has lost its meaning seriously. everyone is using that word nowadays for anything they dont like.

im sure most people dont even know what the actual meaning of toxic is.

in dbd everything is "toxic"

i mean i got called toxic for throwing a pebble towards the killer LOL

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Toxic never had a well defined meaning though?

it is used in the most diverse ways in online video games..

• mydogmax19
    mydogmax19 Member Posts: 266

I dont understand how unhooking oneself is a meme. It's not toxic either. It's just fun being able to unhook yourself without help.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

It’s not toxic, it’s just mildly annoying when some random person I don’t know does it.

• Chrisko
    Chrisko Member Posts: 288

Yes. We know all the selfish reasons for doing this behavior. Thanks

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Specifically doing it only when it won't harm your team...yeah..super selfish...

• Chrisko
    Chrisko Member Posts: 288
    edited November 2020

...and who gets the unhook points again Blueberry?....the survivor that is risking themselves to unhook you? oh wait...no. It's you...you get the points. Yeah...certainly not selfish at all...