Is the matchmaking algorithm broken again?

Options

Rank 14 survivor on PC, cross play activated(Thanks for the resets btw, still a terrible system)

So first of all even with 1K hours in the game playing solo survivor at rank 20 is a pain.

So I'm rank 14 now, and today it took me 5-10 min to find a game, cross play activated. After that, 99% of the time the players are rank 18-20. With like less than 20 hours in the game. Last game I had a group of 3 players that I thought were trolling, they were actually doing their first game together. Not joking.

I'm rank 14, why am I even matched with ranks 20? Especially after waiting like 7 mins. #########?

I don't understand how the matchmaking is fine for a few days and then suddenly its completely broken, you have to wait 10 years to get a game and the ranks aren't even close. Why do I even bother grinding back to red ranks then? At rank 14 IU shouldnt get a team mate higher than rank 15, especially after a 8 min queue, thats terrible.

And then people wonder why everyone plays SWF with coms. Seriousely the matchmaking is completely broken and I don't understand why it comes and goes. Even with cross play you can't find people around my game? Please.

What is happening?

Comments

• HeavenRoad
    HeavenRoad Member Posts: 78
    Options

Nobody?

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

Not enough killers playing when you are in your area is the most likely answer.

There's nothing I can say as to the reason why without other forum members jumping down my throat but as the game has progressed with survivors on average getting better the fun of the killer role as decreased especially for killers like legion who are effectively powerless against good survivors.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803
    Options

The longer you wait for a match, the higher the chances of getting those games with weird rank spreads. It’s because the matchmaking algorithm the devs use tries to keep queue times from getting too long, so if you’re sitting in queue for ages the search for a lobby will keep expanding its criteria. So at first it will only look for matches with people of similar ranks, and then as the wait goes on it will keep expanding its rank threshold until you get put into a lobby with rank 20s.

As annoying as it can be, it’s an attempt to stop insanely long queues.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

What does playing swf have to do with MM? And probably the reason why you are being paired with rank 20 survivors is because there are not that many players within your rank, hence why we need the old rank reset.

And also you will get faster queues the more you rank up, 5-10 min for a match isn't that long tbh.

• HeavenRoad
    Options

Its like, WAY too long for people to keep playing lol.

SWF and MM are linked because when you're a solo survivor trying to rank up from 20, its absolutely terrible, and even when you rank up if you still get very low ranks, people just say ######### it and go swf. And its not good for the game.

• HeavenRoad
    Options

Lol yeah agreed but some days it works well and some days it just does not.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

I've been getting a lot of green and purple as a red rank killer. To the point that a lot of them clearly aren't anywhere near as experienced as the survivors I usually play against. Actually killing my motivation to play killer.

Seen 1 or 2 content creators say the same thing is happening to them.

• SpookyPumpkinPiez
    SpookyPumpkinPiez Member Posts: 278
    Options

14's with 20's isn't too bad. I mean for sure it's not fair, but it's not the worst ever. With rank reset I went back to rank 17 killer, and I just unlocked spirit so I played my very first game with her. I got paired with 4 rank 1's. Obviously I didn't stand a chance. Game was over in minutes. Match making has always seemed pretty bad, even with their "fix"