Confirmation of New Struggle Mechanic?

BHVR sent out a survey just after the anniversary event regarding the state of DBD's Struggle Mechanic. Has there been confirmation on whether or not they will be implimenting a new mechanic?

If so, is there a timeline for that?

I'm in the anti-button mashing crowd, and hearing about an update would be a light at the end of the tunnel. The PH Cage Mechanic demonstrated BHVR's ability to create a more interactive system, and it would be nice to see something like that implimented on the hook.

Comments

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

Going to PS5 soon and I don't want to mash my new DualSense controller.

• WestX
    WestX Member Posts: 120

I Think the faster you mash the more it slows down the progress, but at the same time too fast is death because of poor programming so its really dumb. I've never seen a game with a button mash mechanic so poorly implemented

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699

This, and network latency, are the two single greatest arguments against keeping button-mashing in the game.

It is more than a quality-of-life rework--it is a healthy overhaul of an antiquated mechanic. Survivors should not be dying because the game fails to consider the possibility of hardware or software errors. Hell, console players probably die on hook because their controller battery dies.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

No brainer move that should have been changed a week after the game's initial release.

Hopefully they change it soon.

• BigHat
    BigHat Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2020

When I realized wiggling my analog stick faster didnt make a difference when being carried I thought about all my wrecked controllers lol

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I personally don't mind the "mashing" as you don't really need to mash, but if it can be replaced, why the hell not?

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

They should make the wiggle less annoying while they're at it. It's just as bad as struggling except you have to break 2 buttons or a stick instead of just 1 button. And you are more likely to have to do it, at least with hook struggle you can sometimes avoid it if you don't get hooked twice or you're the last one to die but with wiggling you basically have to most games or just give the killer free reign over where to hook you and make any attempt to save you worthless

• Arc_170gaming
    Arc_170gaming Member Posts: 2

I think adding a new mechanic, is okay, just don't force it on people, maybe add a section in the options where you can choose one of 3-4 versions of the struggle mechanic.

This is just because some people like the current system, as well as the fact that some people like me, aren't good at skill checks, weather it's due to lag, latency, motor issues, or just lack of skill.

So adding a new mechanic is a great idea but don't forget about the people who don't want a change, or thoes who would only be punished by one.

P.s. I personally don't think it should be a skill check due to the reasons above but also then it would make phd's cages less unique

• deadbymeetch
    deadbymeetch Member Posts: 4

You can comfortably spin your controller stick and it will wiggle at full speed. No need to jostle it back and forth.

Also would like to not smash A. Although it does give the real feeling of a "struggle", I hate when my internet hiccups and I die when I'm full force smashing it.

• deadbymeetch
    deadbymeetch Member Posts: 4

Also can people not use abbreviation PH. Use "The Executioner" or some variation. Ghost Face gets GF because that's his name in this game.

• SCP_FOR_DBD
    SCP_FOR_DBD Member Posts: 2,416

One of my mates has carpel tunnel in her hand, it makes playing survivor extremely hard for her. I really hope they fix it soon

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

Right. If they remove suicides, survivors will stop giving up early, then get more expirience in hard situations and become better players. It will make harder games for killers. We are definitely don't need it.

• Phoenixrebirth1
    Phoenixrebirth1 Member Posts: 21

I hope they do change it because the last email I send them was to remove the wiggling or change it lets hope

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

so ill go afk, tab out, go make food etc

or ill just Alt f4 and play later if need be, you cant force someone to play a game they want out of, worst case scenario they will just troll and get their team killed faster

• zackdaylight
    zackdaylight Member Posts: 190

Lol a game where I’m forced to play? I can’t leave or else I get banned, I can’t kill myself on hook, being slugged on the ground until you bleed out after years later, etc. no thanks.

• kaeru

You get dc cooldown for a reason. The reason is when you leave you ruin game to your teammates who also want to play normally, but they can't because of you. Yes, you may not care about other's fun, it's fine, you do you. But you should get your punishment for ruining a game anyway. Suicide on hook is avoiding of punishment. And it sucks when someone who deserve punishment avoiding it.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843
    edited November 2020

I wish they'd remove hook suicide so the people who don't want to play the game they voluntarily bought and queued up for would just quit playing altogether or get banned from dcing so all us non quitters can enjoy an actual normal 1v4 without people giving up over one little thing they don't like. Not to mention all the people who say they don't want to be forced to play never offer any solution for killers who have no equivalent to dying on hook

• RowanOwO
    RowanOwO Member Posts: 1

While wiggling on a controller try moving your stick in a circular motion instead of going side to side- mashing your sticks against the edge of the controller over and over obviously isn’t good for it. That trick is something I picked up from one of my old friends a while back.

• JordanMalicious
    JordanMalicious Member Posts: 383

I found this out the hard way when I Mario party mini gamed my X button on PS4.

• zackdaylight
    zackdaylight Member Posts: 190

one of the worst things the could have is no hook suicide and DC penalties in the game at the same time. Sorry that 1 too many people DC on you both that doesn’t change the fact that it’s used for multiple reasons

• Lil_Zak
    Lil_Zak Member Posts: 1

I think a change in the mechanic would be nice cuz spamming can get annoying but, I disagree with some people about removing hook suicide mostly because lets say there's 2 people left (including you) and you're playing an swf, you know your friend has found hatch and you're on hook. What I would end up doing there would be to hook suicide and give my friend hatch. Although, I do agree that using the hook suicide to DC without a ban is annoying, hook suicide is helpful as well (if you're willing to sacrifice yourself for someone else).

Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

• sudintlink
    sudintlink Member Posts: 188

I hope they do. When I was a new player my finger got so tired because I thought you had to click it really fast and its not a fun experience at all.

• WindyCityBum
    WindyCityBum Member Posts: 18

I just bind my mouse wheel to the struggle mechanic. So easy and it flies!

• kaeru

I understand suicide for last survivor. But this opportunity of suicide make some killers slug for 4k, because he know you will let go. Suicide at early game is good for killer, but at the game end it only good for last survivor. If we remove suicide, killers get less easy kills at match start which is good for survivors. And at the end killers would not be affraid to hook one of two last survivors which is good for killers. So it benefits both sides.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772

I used to think being on Xbox with a wireless controller was the culprit. On PC for a while now and boy was I wrong.

• iZombie
    iZombie Member Posts: 231

I’m not sure. As I’ve tried just turning it around and I’ve definitely noticed the bar goes faster the more intensely I wiggle it. I’ll give it another try as maybe I’m just imagining it and it isn’t actually moving faster. 😂

• Fog_King
    Fog_King Member Posts: 688

I hope the struggle mechanic is reworked. Skill checks would be fine instead of mashing a button.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

They don’t want it to just be automatic because they prefer something that adds a bit of active tension where you have to focus on staying alive. Which is reasonable in principle, it’s just that in practice tapping space bar over and over is more annoying than it is engaging and fun, skill checks ala the way Cages work is a superior method of accomplishing that goal.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,233

I bought a controller with a turbo function just to get around it. You know a mechanic is bad when you'd rather spend money than do the mechanic.