Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How do you guys learn a new killer in purple/red ranks?

I'm trying to learn how to play doctor at rank 7, and it is one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had in this game. Not only am I getting stomped every game with maybe 1 hook, but gens are flying so fast that I get no more than 5 minutes to even practice per match. I know people say rank doesn't matter, but all I'm being paired with (at least tonight anyway) are rank 1-3's, more than likely some swf groups considering how coordinated they're playing. I just need all the help I can get lol

Best Answers

• lowiq
    lowiq Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2020 Answer ✓

Doctor is very similar to other M1 killers, so I would say he isn't that hard to learn.

I would self record games and take note of mistakes.. (e.g., are you overcommitting to a chase?, are you getting 360'd?)

Also run gen slowdown perks like ruin/undying or Corrupt.

Keep grinding and you'll get the hang of it. Like all other "new" things you will be bad at first. If you don't get discouraged and stick with it, it'll pay off.

Answers

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Slowly but surly

• n_coming
    n_coming Member Posts: 31

I play the character and deal with the fact that I am going to lose. A LOT.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

Throw whispers on him if you have it. It will let you know when to static blast. Increase your terror radius. Relax. Enjoy the giggles. Hit ppl with peace in your head.

• Schmierbach
    Schmierbach Member Posts: 468

I learn new killers by playing them. Each time a SWF team pushes me down I learn something new and get back up better.

• JesseJH28
    JesseJH28 Member Posts: 483

Thanks everyone. I feel like I already knew what the general answer would be, but I admit I was a bit overwhelmed from a few games prior to posting this and posted mostly out of frustration lol. I've found it's much easier to handle if I switch back to my beloved Billy every few matches

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Also, take short breaks after frustrating matches.Grab something to eat/drink or hear some music in order to calm yourself a bit down

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120

Learning Nurse at Rank 4 was pretty painful.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I just play them. Not being sarcastic either. I kill the survivors or I don't. If I'm in the mood for a certain killer he's going into that trial perkless if he has to.

• kaeru
    kaeru Member Posts: 1,568

Rank matters. Players on red ranks are more skillful than on green ranks. People keep saying rank doesn't matter because sometimes you still can get easy 4k with no gens done at red ranks and you can get sweaty team seal six ripping your ass into pieces on green ranks. Yes it happens sometimes. But rank do matter anyway.

Everytime I learn new killer on red ranks i'm losing game by game untill I get enough expirience and naturally lower my rank to the point where I can get adept achievement. For example with Blight I managed to lose couple of ranks but still get adept achievement on 4th rank. Executioner downed me to purple ranks. Most frustrating was Demogorgon which made me lose from red to green ranks. Never gonna play Demo again.

• noctis129
    noctis129 Member Posts: 967

Smurf account.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

I feel your pain more than you know. I'm rank 11, and I recently decided to tackle Nurse for the first time. It has hands down been the worst experience ever! Trying to get blinks down while being expected to compete against purple and red rank survivors makes this game unbearable to play. DBD desperately needs a practice mode!

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,533

Don't take yourself too seriously. I just went through the process of learning Deathslinger at Rank 1. It was painful the first couple hours, but I just focused on landing my shots not winning games. Eventually, I got good enough that I started earning back my lost rank

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,467

playing alone is painful period on survivor. Not to mention when you're playing as a rank 17 killer and you're going up against purple and red ranked people. Time of day be damned. that's a lame excuse for bad games.

• UMCorian
    UMCorian Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2020

I play a farm build on my main to at least get a new killer up to level 40. That way you can at least learn to play them with an array of decent builds. That's honestly optional though - if its someone like Nurse, whether you go in with 4 purple perks and a meta build with great addons on 1 yellow perk and your pud as add-ons, you're going to have a bad game.

Just set the bar really, really low for yourself. That's really all you can do.

They're going to all get away. Just get some blood points and try to be a tiny bit better with the killer after the match than you were before. That's all you can do.

• Chechia
    Chechia Member Posts: 234

Just practice. It feels like a jump into the cold water and yeah, you will lose a lot of games but you'll get better.

I started learning Nurse at Rank 1. That wasn't a pleasant expierence but I didn't give myself the pressure to kill people and do well with her so I actually had a lot of fun on the way. You should put your focus on learning the killers power instead of winning. And I personally think you can learn a killer better if you get crushed really hard. If you play killer in low ranks you are most likely going to dominate every match but that doesn't give you a lot of improvement.

Oh... one more thing: Close the endgame chat during the process of learning a new killer.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

Pretty much you just have to throw yourself in and get wrecked a lot. Though on my last killer I got, I got super lucky. I got Deathslinger pretty much right around the brief period where the mm system was live so it wasn't throwing my newbie Deathslinger up against the same caliber of survivors that my Legion could face.

• prodigy1337
    prodigy1337 Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2020

It's all about staying positive and keeping your chin up. The answer to your question and the solution to your problem is right there: "you're learning something new" :)

Do not be discouraged by the abuse of survivors, don't be dismayed by the gen rushing or the looping, look at these at great opportunities to learn. Playing against the more knowledgeable player base with a new killer is a great way to adapt and NOT make bad habits with the new killer as well. It's the silver lining you have to focus on.

A few tips that will actually help you in addition to having the correct mindset is this:

-stock up on blood points before playing the new killer. (now that you know the game, there's no reason to make it more difficult for yourself without at least level 15 so you can have 4 perks to run) so play a killer you can rack BPs up with efficiently to help you unlock and prepare on your new killer

-watch footage of others playing. It's one thing to figure stuff out on your own, but it's another to see how others play the killer and see what helpful advice they have

-grind more bp for workable builds. I'm not sure if this would apply for you because I don't know your roster, but if you have some teachables unlocked in the web, it would be wise to unlock them before your journey. It's what I did when I was learning Dr for the first time as well and I can tell you that it helped me immensely!

Lastly, don't be discouraged by rank and it's color. It's more of a time sink now then that of actual skill, which is kind of ironic because the more time you put in the game, the more skillful you will be; and don't worry about losing a pip or rank or color- there is no real rewards at the end of a season, just a BP payout and that's all. Nothing prestigious :)

Good luck and shock on!

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,059

I just play the game. And dont be upset if I get stomped, because nobody can expect to be good with a new Killer right from the start. Its just be normal to not be good at some things for the first time. And depending how complex the Killer is, it can take a while.

I level the Killer however. I will only play with a somewhat decent Perk Build and not with a Killer which is below Level 50.

• Asssblasster625
    Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

As a doctor main myself I’d say learn how to time your shocks and use static blast to find survivors when you can’t seem to find any of them

• GeordieKiller
    GeordieKiller Member Posts: 409

Its tough what i do is i get a standard build that kinda works with killers universally but with one change i add noed reason why it can be mentally tough losing constanly cause you are learning new killer so noed is there to potentially get a kill and mitgate the constant losing. But once i start to get a grip on the killer i switch out noed as i more confident and understand the killer more to the point where noed is no longer needed.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

Well, first, never think because you're losing that you're bad at the killer. Once you get that in your mind, it will effect your gameplay. I did it trying to learn Blight against red ranks and it made me miserable. Rather than trying to go for kills, focus more on learning the power and it's effects. Learn the ranges of them, how a survivor reacts, etc. You will lose a lot on the way, but each mistake is a lesson that you can take to the next match and improve on.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302
    edited November 2020

Take noed and a green/pink mori just incase you get walked over or survivors are being toxic towards you if you're struggling a bit, you can atleast get some kills and some revenge. Not nice trying a new killer and being taunted by survivors with purple meta perks. I tried Demo a couple of days ago and thankfully survivors weren't too t baggy.

Said it for a while now. Game needs a training ring so you can at the very least practice new killer movements and abilities.

• Izy
    Izy Member Posts: 27

Just accept you're in for a rough game and it's not really your fault if survivors stomp you.

I tend not to mind learning new killers, doing my shrine runs with barely leveled killers.

Survivors will rush the game as usual and often you lack the perks to slow them down. If they want to be toxic when you have 2 yellow perks and they all have 4 people meta perks, they look silly.

I do wish that the game gave a little more points in cases where the odds are stacked against you. Maybe one day they'll get the killer based matchmaking working again.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833

if u have friends test it on kyf if u dont then go and lose a couple of games in a row in public matches till u eventually get it.

• PanicSquid
    PanicSquid Member Posts: 655

Mostly I de-pip as I learn, I'll (probably) end up facing less experienced survivors and then with time and effort I'll improve. I just keep at it until it works out. Same theory with doing adept challenges.

• jisp3r
    jisp3r Member Posts: 317

Unlock 4 perk slots, read about his power and work it. Survivors don't know how to counter it at the beginning

• WindyCityBum
    WindyCityBum Member Posts: 18

Either wait for rank resets or just stop caring about "losing". Once you stop worrying about losing and focus on learning what you're doing wrong and can improve on it'll get better.

That's my experience with trying to learn nurse and hillbilly at rank 2 for the first time lmao

• koodles33
    koodles33 Member Posts: 12
    edited November 2020

All killers play fundamentally the same. By these color ranks, you should be somewhat familiar with the maps, and what perks survivors may run. I just play new killers after getting them to where I can have 4 perks on them. If I lose, I will play a few matches to pip so I keep my rank. Then I play the new killer again to learn. This way, I am playing against decently good survivors always, but pushing myself to being better.

At this point though, I struggle with deciding what killer I even want to play haha.

• Randomplayer545
    Randomplayer545 Member Posts: 21

if i were you i would derank yourself to at least green ranks and at most gray rank, there is still a chance you will go against red and purple ranks but its minimzed.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

I just play them and experiment. Don't set unrealistic expectations for yourself. Go in with the mindset of learning and doing a little better than you did before. Give zero care about the end screen results and focus entirely on the plays you made, what you did well, what wrong and what you can imorovs. If you need, watch some content creators.

Fixating on winning before learning is the shortest path to frustration.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

Don't care about my rank/kills and just focus on getting used to the killer.

• chargernick85
    chargernick85 Member Posts: 3,171

I just farm. First game practice the basics but the farm helps with BP, 2nd game still farm but focus more on the power, 3rd game put on best available build and go for the gusto. Unless it's a setup killer (trapper, Hag, Demo, Etc) than I do another farm to practice best ways to setup.

• SeeAndWait
    SeeAndWait Member Posts: 94

focus on keeping madness. I play at rank 16, so not sure if that can be good advice.