The Biggest Failure Of DBD

I've felt this way for a long time but I strongly feel like the biggest mistake of DBD is their failure to experiment with alternate game modes. For those who've been gaming for a while you might remember playing a game called Warcraft 3. Warcraft 3 was a fun game in it's own right but what made it spectacular was that they gave the players the ability to create their own custom games. The variety and ingenuity of those custom games was incredible. More fun than the base game actually.

One of those custom game modes spawned an entire other genre of games. Namely Defense of the Ancients or DOTA which brought about a bunch of other MOBA style games like League of Legends. Warcraft 3 has largely been forgotten. But the legacy it left behind remains. I feel like DBD could do much the same for the video game industry.

The base game is fun and they absolutely should continue to support it. Create new characters, perks, costumes, etc. But if they really want to be on the forefront of the next big thing in video games then they should also start experimenting. They have the perfect platform. You already have the characters, maps, mechanics, etc. Spend the resources to experiment with them!

You might just find the perfect version of this game that is far more popular and enjoyable than the original that will be the backbone of DBD2. I've created this thread a long time ago but there are a few examples of ideas I've come up with:

Comments

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

As much as I'd love to see some new game modes, I doubt it would happen. I'd be happy with a silly modifier effect even. Something that would add a challenge to both survivor and killer like, something like modifiers for the match: 'Survivors randomly scream every 30 seconds' or 'The killer will hear a false noise notification every 30 seconds'. Throw on a bonus BP reward or something and it'd most likely be a hit. Just something to change up the daily do gens and leave, or kill and hook.

• ZFennecFox
    ZFennecFox Member Posts: 510

I would do a Christmas event in which instead of Gens survivors have to find 15 presents scattered around the map. The Killer has to hook a survivor to make them drop their presents.

I was thinking about a switch up how about for every two gens done a circuit breaker flips on a wall somewhere in the map maybe 2 or three and in order to continue the Survivors need to fix the breakers to continue gens. I figure once the circuit breaker is active its only visible to survivors. So the Killer can't camp it.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117

I mean, based on how poorly they do with the main game, our best bet would definitely be tools to make our own custom games. Then maybe we could actually talk to the developers of said custom games without them hiding and throwing up stat sheets as a defense for their constant inaction.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Not really. Almost all killers operate under the same principal. Go to this pallet and loop while the team completes gens. Very few killers have powers that actually mix that up. Prime example being Nurse. Who actually forces you to do something different.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,952

We dont need more Game modes, Idd say we need more mechanics in the game.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503

It's a mild diversion to the same thing you see every single game. Considering how non-threatening it is most of the time, I wouldn't consider it a new game mode.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

the only game mode i want is a legion game mode

4 killers no powers

idk how many survivors

new objective for individual escape as well as group escapes.

make it happen devs you guys are creative enough

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

As much as I'd like multiple game modes they have a hard enough time putting resources towards game health like bugs and performance issues for one mode.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Even certain perks require a completely different tactical approach

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

We’ve got to remember that asymmetrical multiplayer is still a small space, and what BHVR is doing is still unique (all things considered).

DBD is still an ongoing experiment and refinement process for them because there is no “how to make the best asymmetrical multiplayer horror game” manual.

It’s why we see BIG mistakes sometimes in this game, but also why we need to be more forgiving sometimes. They’re still working hard to perfect DBD, and figuring out how to do so. This is probably also why we don’t have an alternative game mode yet.

• WestX
    WestX Member Posts: 120

It wouldn't be so bad if their singular game mode wasn't so stale. Look at Friday the 13th, the way that game was designed has tons of emergent gameplay that made every match unique. There were multiple objectives to escape, you could repair the boat, it took less materials than the car and usually had an easier exit gate, but however Jason could knock it over and guarantee the 2 survivors in it die. You could repair the car which requires finding an extra item in addition to the 2 repairs, but can seat 2 or 4 people depending on if the boat spawned in, allowing multiple people to escape and while the way out was usually a lot longer than the boat, it was more safer overall. Then there's the final objective, fix the phone and call the cops, which enables EVERYONE to escape, but you have to survive the entire duration until the cops get there in which case the game functions like DBD does with Jason needing to get near the cops to prevent survivors from escaping but they can get around him.

Dead By Daylight has 1 objective. Fix generators. No difference. Sure killers may play different, but every match consists of, Fix 5 generators and escape, or maybe exit through the hatch if you're the last one left. This causes the gameplay to get stale as its always the same things again and again, while Friday certainly didn't have too much more to offer, the multiple objectives combined with lobbies potentially alternating which player is killer meant that it was usually feeling fresh, and the randomness of object spawns meant Survivor's objectives could vastly change in an instance depending on what they found, while not removing their other objectives.

Another problem with DBD is that the devs seemingly have ZERO interest in actually changing up the gameplay. They have their generators. They have the escape gate. That's it, that's all they seem to want. While I do think the game actually NEEDS some innovation, the devs don't want to innovate. Atleast not yet.

• The_Nightmare
    The_Nightmare Member Posts: 65

Honestly that'd be pretty cool just keep the ratio the same 4-1 to 16-4? Now question would be if as killer would they just be limited to legion or any killer be acceptable?

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,141

Identity V. Very similar gameplay model with a bunch of unique killers. It recognizes that the killers themselves do not equal different game modes, because it actually has a few different game modes.

This is one of the reasons people are so disappointed that DbD isn't doing events for holidays. Without any alternative modes, events were the only thing that shook up the gameplay at all.

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791
    edited November 2020

You really changed my perspective by naming several games that aren't even the same genre. Bravo.

Are you next going to tell me how Trapper needs to run a Dwight over the field goal to score a touchdown?

Oh how about Nea reaching the other side of the level and you need to king her.

Claudette passed go, she'll be gettin that $200 now.

Edit: Sorry to be so snide but they really didn't support your argument.

I recognize there should be different win conditions and variables in the game other than do gen and live Agni, but killer variety is supposed to do just that when not even survivors are specialized.

They could at least give killers more unique passives if what I stated actually is the direction they want to go.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

Good job missing my point entirely. Adopting a different method of approach to the same objectives, the same fundamentals, the same literally everything, is not a different game mode. At all.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

You can put major spins on the core gameplay to have different game modes. That's why team deathmatch is different from free-for-all is different from capture the flag is different from king of the hill. If you go into Team Fortress 2 and play a game of Capture the Flag, and then play a game of Payload Race, would you say they're the same game mode because they both have the core FPS aspect of shooting people?

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Until a few months ago, they didn't have a playerbase big enough to successfully launch a new game mode.

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791

Someone already pointed out that CoD is just different variations of shoot #########. You're the one being obtuse.

What would be the objective in this different game mode? 2v8? That would be a shitshow.

Protect the president? The game can barely keep you from tunneling one person to death if you really wanted to.

Imposter? One survivor is secretly working with the killer? That's just pub games.

1v8 like F13th? That game certainly isn't dead now. And suffered the same gameplay loop of one person chaining together hidey holes while everyone else escapes.

• Antrapace
    Antrapace Member Posts: 253

As much as I would like more, a lot more, I feel that they have a tough enough time as it is with the one mode.

Have to learn to walk before you can run!

• lucid4444
    lucid4444 Member Posts: 682

Their excuse is it would "fracture the community"... That's just laughable.

The truth is that they simply can't make a game mode without there being A MILLION different bugs in there. That and it's hard to quantify the profit gained from the mode and it's worth.