"Sighs" It's a Pyramid Head.

Options
KettleWettle
KettleWettle Member Posts: 149
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

You know I'm actually starting to realize how much unfun Pyramid Head is to play against. Recently I've been getting a lot of Pyramid heads and I'm really starting to realize how much of an unhealthy killer he is. So let me just get started with saying this, we have 21 killers in the game (Soon to be 22) and I would say 10 out of the 21 killers we have are very healthy for this type of game. I'm not gonna list those other 11 killers because that's not really what I wanna concentrate on, but what I do wanna concentrate on are these 3 killers which are Spirit, Deathslinger, and Pyramid Head...but mainly Pyramid head.

First we got introduced to spirit, and we all know a majority of each others opinions on her because of the way she plays out. She's the first unhealthy killer we ever got introduced to and we started to see a bit of a pattern as more killers got released.

Then we got Deathslinger, now I don't even think Deathslinger is nearly as unhealhty as spirit, but he still is a bit of an unhealthy killer in the way of no matter how balanced you make him, he's still gonna be an unfun killer to play against because of what he's played as. Now this is where I really wanna talk about in my forum post. Now we have our 3rd unfun killer which is Pyramid Head. Now I'm gonna say this plain and simple, I would 100% rather play against a spirit and a Deathslinger than a Pyramid head and let me tell you why. Whenever you go into a match against a Spirit, you're most likely thinking you're gonna go down pretty fast because there's no real counter play to her, but you still have a 50/50 chance against her. You can use Iron Will, maybe Hide in a locker, or pre-drop a pallet. For Deathslinger, he's got a number of counters, like not just holding W and actually trying to dodge him, or dropping a pallet so he can't hit you through it. Ya know just simple counter play like that.

Now here's the main reason why I made this forum post. Pyramid Head has no counters at all. His caging ability is the dumbest thing ever, "Oh there's goes my BT and DS" because caging completely ignores hook perks so if you get tunneled then oh well there goes half of my perk setup. The whole aspect of the caging ability is just very dumb and poorly thought out on. If you loop him at a pallet it's either you throw the pallet down and get hit with his Punishment of the Damned, or you don't throw the pallet down and he just M1's you and you go down, and that's my main issue with him. You get killed for playing well that's not how a killer is supposed to be. You're suppose to be rewarded for playing well and Pyramid Head does the complete opposite.

Spirit and Deathslinger are definitely unhealthy killers but I wanted to mainly point out Pyramid Head. I'm just surprised I don't really hear people complain about him very often and I thought I should give a reasonable thought oh these killers.

I had to make this a bit more neat because I kept getting complaints on how thick of a paragraph it was so hopefully it's a lot easier to read now.

Post edited by KettleWettle on

Comments

• WestX
    WestX Member Posts: 120
    Options

My only complaint playing pyramid head is that his Potd travels too slow, and the hit box for it is a little wonky. It can be used to hit people through walls and animations, but its still pretty situational compared to say, Huntress' Hatchett.

I will say though, I feel like its a mistake for a pyramid head to use the cages unless he knows you have DS. Putting someone in a cage burns torment, and torment makes survivors easier to track and opens them up for final judgment. I usually will get a survivor up on a book then encircle them with the trails of torment, ensuring whoever rescues them and most likely the survivor themselves has torment and I rinse and repeat to get all 4 survivors with it. The cages are meant to counter survivor perks, but cages are pretty much a free unhook since the cage is teleported to the opposite end of the map from PH and is actually designed to be tunnel proof as PH cannot find it.

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,235
    Options

Idk he's not so bad anymore because if a survivor is smart they'll punish the killer if they try to m1 when they are running up to a pallet. Deathslinger, spirit and freddy are far FAR worse. The big thing is pyramid head no longer has that loose loose situation, many people don't realise but there are many ways of getting around his bait now as survivor. Would be willing to show u some if u want.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,658
    Options
  • ZXo_Pixel
    ZXo_Pixel Member Posts: 14
    Options

Whenever I play as killer I always get survivors with dc, normally it's not a problem as I don't normally go for the same person twice in a row, but it's normally the trolls that already ruin the game that have it that really bugs me so having the cage is a welcome thing and don't forget that the killer can't use perks like BBQ n chilli or popgo. And with the nerf he can't just abuse his power like he used to

• scrceress
    scrceress Member Posts: 7
    Options

I only have one issue with pyramid head - people often use this one certain strategy, where, once the survivor has torment, they camp until struggle phase and then tunnel to get final judgement. This is hella annoying because sometimes you can't prevent stepping in the trails of torment, for example when in a chase. This could easily be prevented by just removing torment on hook, but I don't think Devs will do that.

• CustomerService
    CustomerService Member Posts: 479
    Options

Well, yeah? You want at least a realistically fair chance when playing a video game. “Get outplayed by game design in which you can do nothing about” is not how fun works. Let me tell you, if I play against you as a Spirit your input in going to be zero. Let me tunnel you out of the game in 1 minute and then tell me how much fun you have.

“bUt ThhaTs YoUR OwN FaUlT”

No, if the killer is experienced and powerful, an experienced Spirit or Phead, your input doesn’t matter. You go down fast. And notice I say “experienced” and not “good”. Being good implies some kind of skill involved, and in the end killers like Spirit, Phead and Freddy are very basic and easy to learn killers that involve no skill or technique.

• SilentHillOnDvD
    SilentHillOnDvD Member Posts: 487
    Options

Yes hitting potd threw walls doesn't take skill or hitting them when they're not in animation lock doesn't take skill

• CustomerService
    Options
  • CustomerService
    Options

The range and width is big enough so it’s extremely easy. When locked in a vaulting animation it’s brain dead easy to get a M2 hit, otherwise you can M1. You can spam your M2 for free with no cool down so even a monkey could 4K as a Phead.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789
    Options

Yeah, honestly, idk why they didn't touch anything with regards to how well PH tunnels, because honestly, that's all people that play him seem to do, and it's simply not fun nor is it fair.

• SilentHillOnDvD
    Options

Lol This conversation is over I like talking to people who isn't missing half their brain cya

• CustomerService
    Options

Then I recommend you never talk to yourself.

When you can’t counter argument anything and say “lol cya”.

• SilentHillOnDvD
    Options

They made it way easier to avoid getting hit by potd i honestly don't know why people still complain about him

• CustomerService
    Options
  • SunderMun
    Options

By allowing him to spam it repeatedly at such a fast pace you can't use his cooldown to press W and avoid it. :P

Honestly his ranged power is fine now; it's the Tormented status effect that needs looking at.

• SunderMun
    Options

That doesn't change anything, and wasn't a change made when they were looking at the issues with him in the last mid-chapter. He still tunnels incredibly well. It's not even hard to guess where someone goes when they're caged, and it's not hard to get someone tormented so that you can just straight tunnel them off the hook and instantly cage them again. Especially with those lovely bugs that land survivors being tormented randomly across the map from any of your trails while they've been working on a generator for 30 seconds straight without it happening yet.

• CustomerService
    Options

So they didn’t make it “way easier to avoid him”. Yeah, that’s what I thought.

• CustomerService
    Options

he can’t see cages. He only already knows that the cage is gonna spawn as far away from him as possible so he can just assume where the location will be just like every survivor assumes where the survivor cage location will be.

Simple basic intelligence. 1 + 1 = 2 difficulty level.

• SilentHillOnDvD
    Options

All killers are good at tunneling and if a phead tunnels you out of the game then that's tough luck as with any killer he still needs to get 3 other survivors but I'm guessing if he's tunneling that means if he was some other killer he would just camp

• SunderMun
    Options

Except PH is exceptionally good at it, with no counter to his means of tunneling. It isn't just 'tough luck' when almost every person who plays him that I go against him plays in this way; it is a mechanic that needs looking into.

• CustomerService
    Options

So he’s basically telling you that you are right, he is made for tunneling and that’s what most Pheads do, probably including himself.

Pyramid Head needs to be adjusted to have a cool down or 2-3 seconds in between M2 uses and deplete his spamming of the power faster. So he has to pick wisely when to use M1 or when to use M2.

That way you will have the trash Pheads raging because they can’t get free kills anymore, but you will also still see good Pheads dominating. Just like what happens with Nurse.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    edited November 2020
    Options

Pyramid head has a player problem. All they do is hook, cage, hook tunnel to death. Boring Af

Since the projectile change he feels slightly different in a chase. I am seeing PYramid heads try for reads through walls a lot more. But every game the second I see someone get tormented I know for a fact they'll be out of the game in 2 or so minutes. Even if they haven't been hooked yet.

• scrceress
    scrceress Member Posts: 7
    Options

Yeah, and most PHs don't use the cages, so they can simply use final judgement. In my opinion this really needs to be changed. I'm sick of those killers who facecamp till I hit struggle phase, so that they can easily kill me with final judgement without having to worry about ds/flashlight saves/whatever.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    Options

You're ignoring the weaknesses.

You say the cages disable BT and DS, but you ignore the fact that not only does Phead have no Devour Hope, Make Your Choice, BBQ, Pop, or any other hook perk, but he also cannot see the cage's auras, which means you can get saved EASILY. Not having BT or DS doesn't mean anything if you most likely wouldn't get to use them anyway.

As for POTD, when we consider the situation you mentioned you can just stun him 4head

but all jokes aside, you aren't supposed to mindlessly loop a Phead. You have to think. When you break LOS and he's within range, always act like he's aiming POTD. It isn't impossible to dodge.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,942
    Options

I've found both Pyramid Head and Spirit are decent to face. They're tough, but both counterable. Spirits static sound as she gets close gives you a good idea where she'll strike, and you can see Pyramid's ranged attack on the floor. In fact, Pyramid Head is one of my favourite killers to go against.

Deathslinger can be tricky, but making sure you have objects between him and you helps. His slower speed in chases also helps out.

I'd argue all killers are counterable in some way, but killers also act as levels of difficulty for the game. Trapper may be considered an easier opponent to face on average vs average player fights. A spirit or Nightmare is at the other end. Depending on skillset, you could have variarions all along. I see it as a challenge. It's far healthier to and learn how to beat it, than see it as this unfairly balanced impossibility.

• Axe
    Axe Member Posts: 1,060
    Options

Wall of text please, Havent you unlocked the perk paragraphs yet? D:

Eh my personal opinion on PH, his in a grey area. I dont like going against him that much but I dont dislike him either. His strong but nothing you cant play around with.

I usually dont run DS so the cages doesnt exactly effect my gameplay.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Eh. Devour is a glass cannon. Very few use it. Make your choice (omegalul) BBQ is unnecessary mid to late game when a few gens are popped if you have survivors off gens healing/unhooking, if you took away the bp bonus its use would drop temendously. I'll give you pop even though the math on that perk makes it surprisingly bad.

The killer not having access to hook based perks is significantly less impactful than survivors. Not even talking about just DS. BT, Kindred which is almost vital for solos nowadays, we'll make it, deliverance.

Like the other guy said. Pyramids in a grey area. I don't think he's OP by any means. I think the problem I have with him is a player problem. Not to make a blanket statement on all PPheads because that would be dumb, but in my recent memory I have not seen a single Pyramid head not focus down the first survivor they torment until they are out of the game. Even if they have Ruin/undying still up and 4 gens left. Same with Deathslinger, I don't think he's OP. Just mind bendingly dull to play against (and play as but thats a whole nother can of worms).

• Creepa99
    Creepa99 Member Posts: 80
    Options

He's just saying it because survivors feel entitled to make rules for killers.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

Instead of forcing killers to gitting gud at the game, they continue to make killers with cheesy mechanics to completely reduces counterplay, unfun to verse, even bypass survivor perks in the case of pyramid torment power. Bad killers whine because their gens pop too fast, or they being looped too much, the devs come to the rescue to put in deadzones everywhere, reduces defenses, puts in a perk that makes it almost impossible to remove ruin and in the process gives an aura of the survivor location, like every survivor wants their location revealed to the killer. A huge middle finger to a casual claudette trying to enjoy the game. It is a horrible time to be a survivor in this game and don't see how people enjoy it. If you are not in a SWF trying to genrush the killer as fast as possible, you are guaranteed to lose if the killer is worth anything. The worst part is, you can tell the freddy is not even trying, he watches his perks to tell him where to go and spams instant puddles to stop the survivor and rinse and repeat. It is non-sense.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464
    Options

The Spirit and PHead aren't the same in terms of removing survivor agency when in a chase. You cannot truly predict an, as you would say, "experienced" Spirit, and if you do, she can effortlessly correct the mistake. PHead isn't the same. You can tell where he's aiming, and you have a small window to actually avoid his attack. He prevents you from looping like you normally do and require more skill out of the survivor than normal, which triggers many.

As for the tunnelling aspect, yeah that is pretty dumb, but isn't what makes him OP IMO. It's just what makes him extremely annoying. I believe BT should proc on the cages, but I'm fine with DS being countered. Plague is capable of shutting down any healing item and perk, I think it's fine that PHead counters this overused, badly designed perk (which he can still get hit by if people jump in lockers.). So yes, you are correct, he could use a little fix to reduce the tunnel aspect. Beyond that? Maybe you're just not as good at chase as you think you are.

• MichSciFiYT
    MichSciFiYT Member Posts: 4
    Options

You sound salty and entitled. I main as him and have played against him. It's easier when you know what you're doing

• JacksonWise
    JacksonWise Member Posts: 651
    Options

Pyramid Head has great chase potential but still struggles to pressure the map like any other killer without mobility. Splitting up on gens still beats him like every other killer in the game. Just because you may go down against him in chase faster than other killers doesn't make him OP.

• KettleWettle
    Options

Yes I think he is unhealthy in his current state. There's no real counter to him and for the people who are saying there is a counter like "Oh iTs yOuR oWn FaUlT" or "GiT gUd", they aren't giving me any useful information. Lol.

• KettleWettle
    edited November 2020
    Options

I'm not salty nor am I being entitled at all. Lol. I wanted to make a forum post on him because I wanted to release my thoughts on him and I wanted to try and prove a valid point on him. I wanted to addressee what's wrong with him and my thoughts on him because I felt the need to and I know there would be a few people on here that agreed with me and I'm happy about that. I also knew there would be people in here that would lash me out on it and think of something completely irrelevant to my argument and I'm also fine with that. It seems to me like you're being biased because I don't think your killer is healthy for the game and I think he needs to be dealt with :)

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841
    Options

Except being tormented isn't the survivors choice when the Killer uses his power in a way that forces the survivor to either be tormented or go down quickly.