The reason behind the NOED change?

Options

As you know, all levels of NOED now apply the exposed (insta-down) effect when active.

NOED needs a dull totem to light up in order for it to activate. So, it seems clear to me that the Dev's made this change to encourage survivors to cleanse more dull totems prior to the opening of the gates. They're looking to encourage more non-generator play.

I've noticed that I go out of my way to cleanse more dull totems when I play survivor now.

What do you think? A smart design choice?

Comments

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367
    Options

@Troylus said:
    As you know, all levels of NOED now apply the exposed (insta-down) effect when active.

NOED needs a dull totem to light up in order for it to activate. So, it seems clear to me that the Dev's made this change to encourage survivors to cleanse more dull totems prior to the opening of the gates. They're looking to encourage more non-generator play.

I've noticed that I go out of my way to cleanse more dull totems when I play survivor now.

I never really bother to cleanse totems unless I know that there is one. However, I don't think that it was a good design choice because everyone will be on the hunt for totems now. Hex perks will get destroyed in seconds.

• Troylus
    Troylus Member Posts: 40
    Options

I think you're right that more survivors will look for totems - but a survivor hunting for or cleansing a totem isn't fixing a generator.

So it seems like a change intended to slow down the pace of the game - much like how the devs said they were extending the healing time - only this explanation for why NOED was buffed wasn't stated. I just think that's why they did it.

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626
    Options
    I don't understand, it just takes some of the edge off the grind, no different to the change to self care way back when. Those that want to use NOED are still gonna use it, and those that don't think they need it won't. Changes nothing. 

Mabey at rank 20 but who cares.
  • redsopine1
    redsopine1 Member Posts: 1,437
    Options
    ZombieGenesis said:

I think they need to follow suit with all other perks. Tiers 1 and 2 are all but useless on every one of them. I'd actually be a fan of just having a single tier of perks to help with the grind.

that makes sense now means people can play bw for end game's to slow them down more
  • Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959
    Options

Who actually cares about buffs to lower tier perks?
    The important balancing of perks is at tier 3. Anything below is just … meh…
    Oh, some poor noobs have to use the tier 2 perk and it is worse… boohoohoo…
    The grind is hard enough already, why should the important effect of the perk be only at tier 3?
    They buffed SC to full speed at tier 1 and no one complained, but they did it to Noed and a bunch of survivor mains freak out.
    rolleyes

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Killers who think this will add to the game time are wrong. Players will knock out totems pretty fast since most are by a gen. It may add 20 seconds to the game, at most, but that is all. It just ensures that NOED will become the normal part of cleansing. I play killer more than survivor and I have noticed that NOED has not triggered in a higher percentage of my maps. I have not noticed any significant shift in Gen completion though. Still popping like mad.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

The reason is probably cause the devs show time and time again that they want Perks to be very good at level 1 and only slightly better at level 2 & 3.
    Look at Adrenaline, there are SO many things on that Perk that could be upgraded each level.
    But nope, only a little bit better Exhaustion recovery.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,688
    Options

@Troylus said:
    I think you're right that more survivors will look for totems - but a survivor hunting for or cleansing a totem isn't fixing a generator.

So it seems like a change intended to slow down the pace of the game - much like how the devs said they were extending the healing time - only this explanation for why NOED was buffed wasn't stated. I just think that's why they did it.

No, that wasn't the actual logic for the change. I saw it mentioned in one of those Dev videos. They said that the main reason for using NOED was the exposed status. So they felt it made more sense for that to apply to all ranks. They made a comparison to another perk, but I forget which one. In essence, it would be like if Franklin's Demise didn't knock items out of survivors hands until rank 3. No one would ever use ranks 1 & 2 if that was the case.

• Troylus
    Troylus Member Posts: 40
    Options

Thanks for the explanation Dreamnomad.

Do you think more killers are running NOED now than before? Or does it seem to be about the same?

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,688
    Options

@Troylus said:

Do you think more killers are running NOED now than before? Or does it seem to be about the same?

I have only played one game as a survivor since the patch and the killer didn't run it for that game. So with a sample size of 1 I can't say =p I anticipate that it will see more use now though, especially at the lower ranks.

• redsopine1
    redsopine1 Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

@Troylus said:

I have only played one game as a survivor since the patch and the killer didn't run it for that game. So with a sample size of 1 I can't say =p I anticipate that it will see more use now though, especially at the lower ranks.

You two on console ir pc if consol then watch out I'm gonna run ut with warden now hehe I actually broadcast if u ever wanted to see my playstyle
  • CrtKazz
    CrtKazz Member Posts: 214
    Options
    That is precisely what they are doing. They said they were doing soft fixes to help with gen rushing and give survivors more things to do until more content comes in. The next step is to make skill checks a bit more interesting. Maybe make skill checks more difficult/smaller the higher your rank? Idk what do to on killer side but maybe there doesn’t need to be anything for them but any extra things to do to spice up the game is welcome at this point. 
  • DukeJukem
    DukeJukem Member Posts: 114
    Options

@Troylus said:

bad design choice honestly. now theres a higher chance of garbage noed using killers pipping to high ranks. which is fine if you're a good survivor, but then its not fine. you ez a killer all game because they're trash then they just noed camp you. so this change encourage more use of noed camping. make gens take longer. implement something that would make the game last longer for experiences players as opposed to everyone (a script that would cause gens to take longer to complete for x person based on x amount of hours, great skillchecks, rank etc x player has.) all of these changes are driving old veterans away and are encouraging new people who sucked at the game when it was "too hard" to play. wanna know my encouragement for cleansing totems? when noed activates, when some noob can't do ruin. i don't want to rub skulls until they magically break unless i'm required to. i didn't buy this game to cleanse totems.

• purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661
    Options

@Troylus said:

The change is for low rank/level killers. Has nothing to do with anything else. The perk was not really that great at all if you had rank 1. If you weren't doing it before you were either low rank or killers just weren't running it since the only time they ran it is if they had rank 3 which most higher ranks have rank 3.

• purebalance
    purebalance Member Posts: 661
    Options

@Dudddd said:
    Reason is you need every help from the devs because of how terrible you’re as killer . No other reason 

Ok don't cry about the survivor changes then. You're just a bad survivor and need every help form the devs because of how terrible you are. No other reason.

• TigerKirby215
    TigerKirby215 Member Posts: 604
    Options

It's a Quality of Life change that removes the Bloodweb grind to a degree. Perks levels should make a perk better, not useable.

• Malakir
    Malakir Member Posts: 799
    Options

It's a Quality of Life change that removes the Bloodweb grind to a degree. Perks levels should make a perk better, not useable.

this
    I was going to answer in the same fashion. I don't think its hard to understand
  • Terrortot
    Terrortot Member Posts: 423
    Options
    Its a pain getting t3 perks.  This makes easier to mess around with it as soon as i get it.
  • Cetren
    Cetren Member Posts: 984
    Options
    I think it's pretty simple, it makes perk levels 1 and 2 playable. There was almost no point before. It wasn't even that significant of a change either, so I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms about it.
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei Member Posts: 2,637
    Options
    survivors should always be breaking dull totems anyway. its their own fault if they get hit with noed.