Can we expect a fix to survivor queue times soon?

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781
edited November 2020 in General Discussions

I am not sure if the devs have said anything regarding survivor queue times lately. They are insanely long most of the time either with or without crossplay and it doesn't really matter what time of day it is. It is so consistently long.

It is painfully annoying to sit there in a lobby for 5 + minutes each time and I am pretty sure it has been like this for months.

Note: I do play killer equally to survivor and I am consistently rank 1 on both sides (not that rank matters lol). I also think a long queue time is 3 and a half minutes of waiting.

Post edited by Yords on

Comments

• Yords

I have and do all the time actually. But I still enjoy survivor gameplay too. I have played tons of killer lately, but I like switching on and off of killer and survivor.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    edited November 2020

there needs to be more killers at all hours

• Unseen_Force
    Unseen_Force Member Posts: 218

Cause then you could buy some sweet survivor skins after you sweated away playing killer lol

• Stealth
    Stealth Member Posts: 123

I'm working on it. I'm at rank 9 so far after being sent back to 17 or so. Haven't played in almost 2 yrs until recently. Honestly though, I'm playing a lot more survivor since my return. It's more relaxing lol. I was at rank 1 but I believe the rank system has changed since then.

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

its not really possible to fix since it has to do with the amount of people playing each role

its 4 survivors per 1 killer, survivor queue times are bound to be long

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

I would say it is not the balance problem per se but the killer role is just way more stressful.

Killer have all time action/stress in a trial while survivor in might never see (get pressured by) the killer depending on the skill differences of both sides.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

The balance problem lies in the fact that the killer is balanced somewhere between solo survivors and swf.

While both match types can be stressfull, vs a good swf you don´t have much of a chance of doing anything meaningful, and its showing.

The devs should just seperate solo and swf gameplay and balance both seperatly. Since both ways would be balanced, there would not even be a need to dodge the swf queue.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Also having some not all survivors wait till the last second to escape and leave the match they're in increases the queue times for other survivors and killers artificially

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Also don't forget that a 4 to 1 ratio of survivor players to killer players will also result in a slow survivor que as survivors can get out of a game and reque long before the game ends but the killer player is stuck in the game until the end.

This means you'd need more then 1 killer for every 4 survivors for ques to work efficiently.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Yer not wrong... which is why I said artificially raises q times

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Not without mega-buffing killer. It's a double whammy of survivor being easier and letting you play with friends - neither of which I think are a problem, but they do add up to a killer deficiency.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,406

Maybe i make a mistake here, but shouldnt theoretically with the 4vs1 ratio killer queue times be longer?

When there would be the same amount of killer and survivors wouldnt be the matchmaking of survivor 4times faster?

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

i never had those long killer queues, so i wasn´t even aware there was a problem. However, i notice the longer survivor queue at the moment.

But it might as well be a regional thing.

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    edited November 2020

Survivor queues are fine outside of peak times. Its peak times when everyone is home in the evening playing with their friends and clogging up the queue. The sheer amount of survivors is just too many compared to killers.

Midday I get proper red rank games as killer. Evening I get a match in 1 second with 2 greens and a purple.

• Klakky
    Klakky Member Posts: 444
    edited November 2020

Could be same reason I stopped maining killer, toxic team rank 1 survivors gen rushing all 5 gens by time u can catch up to 1 person thanks to OP pallet/window placements, I once had a match where I only saw 2 pallets on the map but in one spot taking about 1/6 of the map was apsolutely filled with windows and pallets literaly 0% chance to get a good survivor and I rage quit but that was a while ago however ######### window pallet spawns still happen often.

But bottom line is the game is horribly designed for killers, a good looper if he finds a good location can loop even a good killer for 2+ minutes at least by that time 3 gens will already pop 2 will be worked on and 1 person will go for rescue and boom exit gates open...

PS: it's more fun playing with rank 20's against rank 1 killer(very common right now due to game on discount I guess) than against a rank 1 gen rush team lol

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060
    edited November 2020

A few weeks ago on EU-Servers, you had wait times of 10+ minutes for Killer. This was also the period of time where the DC-penalty was disabled, meaning you can wait 10+ minutes in a queue just to have some dude DC at 5 Gens so that the game is basically over and you win without any effort.

Also, you might end up on Servers outside of EU, meaning that you have 130 Ping at least (if you were lucky) or up to 300 Ping. So I played Survivor during that time, because queues were instant (which they are still over daytime), because if I end up on a bad Server, I can simply requeue or if someone DCs, I was not bothered that much.

I watched Scorpionz (who is also on EU) suffer from the same problems, he was playing The Binding of Isaac during wait times. I, myself, used those times to read a book, up to a point where I rather play Killer to get more reading time and played DBD as side amusement.

And even longer ago, there were even times where you had super-long queue times as Killer when you were at Rank 1. But only Rank 1, if you were Rank 2, you got short queue times.

Currently, for me, Killer Queues are like 1-2 minutes (which is faster over the day) and Survivor queues are instant (which they are always over the day). In the evening it switches, Survivor like 2-3 minutes (which is normal) and Killer instant (normal as well).

The same can be seen on other Servers that the Wait Time switches basically instantly at some point.

EDIT: I am also pretty sure that at some point Killer Queues will be long again.

I mean, it is logical that Killer is the harder role, but neither Killer or Survivor are hard in general. But you should expect that the "1" in the "1v4" has to do more. And this is how it should be.

If Killer would be the easier role, there would be no point for playing Survivor (at least Solo), because Killer would be the easier role, with more BPs (aka Rewards) and more variety.

• Stealth
    Stealth Member Posts: 123

I never said any of that wasn't the case but based on your 1st paragraph, you seem to be downplaying the fact that killer is more stressful. That's why OP has long Q times; less people want to play the harder role.

• Callmehandsome
    Callmehandsome Member Posts: 529

If you want faster survivor queques you need to play earlier of the day, because at evening people want to play with friends so queques are much, much longer for survivor. It doesn't help that there has been 1 year of nonstop killer nerfs. Every patch there has been 2-3 killer nerfs in exchange for 1 survivor nerf, you can make conclusion from that

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268

I'm sorry, but until you consistently wait 20-30 minutes for a lobby, I'm not listening to this. I'm sure your lobby times will improve win the twins are released.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited November 2020

Actually I don't think it will improve much. This looks like the worst killer to date. Even Legion looks stronger than the twins. They're perks aren't even that good either. I don't picture many people buying them to use them or to unlock their perks for the real killers.

• TheMikeOTR
    TheMikeOTR Member Posts: 63

I don't notice anything wrong with que times. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking. It's probably

• CJCA915
    CJCA915 Member Posts: 56

You'll get more killers more often when playing killer doesn't feel like a chore to play anymore compared to survivors.

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

This game has 4.5years and is still in these conditions, i except nothing from them anymore

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171

They could just add killer bots whenever queue times are too long. I dunno if ppl would like that or not.

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171

Ppl might just play it to see for themselves. Everytime a new killer releases queue times for survivor speeds up for a week or 2.

• Lufanati
    Lufanati Member Posts: 198

that is how it would work, yes. I don't think they really thought about it logically.

• bazarama
    bazarama Member Posts: 243

Playing killer is stressful? Really? Life is stressful games are ment to be fun! If you find a game stressful switch it off and do something else instead.

Playing killer against high ranks and swf can suck but there's always the next game.

If I get 4 or 1 or no kills who cares? I don't nor do I care what other people think of my skill or lack thereof as a killer.

It's a GAME.

To the point in question certain maps and survivor perks will put people off playing killer especially new players.

More balanced game play or maps being removed/reworked that are survivor op friendly might help.

But whilst you have swf and smurfs you are not going to attract new killers and in turn speed up queue times.

• Fherthus
    Fherthus Member Posts: 3

Unfortunately this would require BHVR to make killer a more enjoyable role and currently it just isn't. They don't bug fix killer issues and combos like unbreakable, decisive strike, and soul guard and just the overall second chance perks meta has made it tedious. Which they have no plans to change anytime soon.

HOWEVER if you play on PC and you're playing solo turn off crossplay, you won't be competing against console survivors who take up alot of space whilst console killer takes up none since it's complete ass and poorly optimization. That's the only thing I can suggest until BHVR does some major work on the current meta and bugs plaguing killers as well as optimizing console. I hope that helps.

• JoeyBob
    JoeyBob Member Posts: 477

There's already a fix. Disable crossplay. It has the additional benefit of preventing console plebs from being in your games.

• Kazim
    Kazim Member Posts: 229

maybe if the survivors weren't so toxic and it was less frustrating to play the killer there would be more killers

• JoeyBob

Because a good PC is better in all regards, besides cost, to a console.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    edited November 2020

I think there was a drop in killers due to a misunderstanding about the BL experiment. I.e. I’m guessing a lot presumed it was a permanent change, and are not happy about it.

Also 4 and 3 man squads clog queues as well. This isn’t me having a dig at 4 and 3 man SWF. It’s just inevitable during peak periods of SWF groups that this is going to prolong the wait times for solos or even duo SWF.

• JoeyBob
    edited November 2020

If you want to use the argument about certain games being exclusive to consoles, there are 1000 times more games exclusive to PC.

Either way, all big console exclusive games also eventually become available on PC, usually after at most a year.

• JoeyBob

You can play last of Us on PC. PCs can use emulators.

Look up last of Us PC. YouTube vid shows how's it done and notes an improved stability and graphics.

I'm sure infamous can be emulated in a similar manner.

• I mean people have been posting possible solutions to this problem in the suggestions section of the forum, but they get no comments and just die off; so I assume people are just fine with things the way they are now atm.

I mean you could incentivize whatever role has a low player volume with increased rewards for completing matches in that particular queue for one, that would help queue times a bit... but apparently that can't happen because the game HAS to be grindy as all hell apparently?

I dunno, I wouldn't expect a fix anytime soon at any rate.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited November 2020

Tbh the game is so grindy as is, I plan to not buy the DLC because all of those perks are going to get in the way of me getting the perks I still need/want to get. So I literally can't buy that DLC until later because I still have too much grind to do. I guess I could just not get the teachables, but I mean the survivor is just a skin and I can get that killer with shards so....not much reason to spend money.

• nerdguy5
    nerdguy5 Member Posts: 52

how Long do you consider “long wait times”.... because I’m getting in fairly quickly every single time....

also? You can’t play a match if there isn’t a killer. If not enough people are playing killer is literally IMPOSSIBLE to just “increase que times”

• Yords

I consider a long wait time to be at least 3 and a half minutes, again this is only for survivor.