How would you give solo queue survivors more information?

Options

I'm asking how you would buff solo queue survivors if you would give them more information. What type of information should they get?

Should they get a totem counter that counts how many totems there are in the game? Should you give survivors the ability to know if a non-obsession survivor are getting chased?

Comments

• AggressiveFTW
    AggressiveFTW Member Posts: 947
    Options

I think that is the most perfect answer I've ever gotten regarding this subject. I don't get why a lot of people say solo queue survivors shouldn't get those things, as if it would be too powerful. Most games have much UI indicators and information, but for some weird reason, DBD doesn't.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

Re-buff survivors, nerf killer perks. They already have Kindred, it doesn't help. Give survivors a way to turn off killer auras by buffing distortion to unlimited use. This should be an option in a horror hide and seek game. The auras and slowgen perks is what pushes killers over the edge. Lack of map defenses for survivors that are less than experts is an issue too.

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135
    Options

As a survivor main... I disagree with all of these. I rarely play swf lately, had to re-learn to play a solo style of game.

Information perks should not be base kit. Sorry, but you're going to have to give up a perk slot.

If any perk should be a base kit... the concept of borrowed time would be a really good place to start. Borrowed time only works in the terror radius, encouraging unsafe hooks. Knowing as a solo q'er, that a borrowed time will activate without horrid save options... people will make better choices.

• SheKIndaSucks
    SheKIndaSucks Member Posts: 46
    Options

Why do solo players need to be buffed? I'd be more interested in nerfing SWF somehow, though I doubt that's going to happen. Failing that, make BBQ and WGLF baseline to both discourage camping, and to encourage survivors going for rescues. I don't think kindred should be baseline, given it's so darn strong anyway.

• Healthore77992
    Healthore77992 Member Posts: 570
    Options

Survivors are already power role. But only things I would do is add kindred basekit and add some kind of emotes, something like 'i'm doing gen' 'killer is chasing me' 'killer is camping'. That's about it.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794
    Options

I would tell them to equip DS and kindred if they're playing solo-Q like I do and to stop self-caring in the corner.

• apathyinc
    apathyinc Member Posts: 451
    Options

I play solo queue survivor all the time and I wouldn't change the base kit at all. Being able to tell exactly what is going on all the time just wouldn't be fun in this game. The game should have unknowns and surprises.

Playing in a SWF with meta perks takes all the challenge out of the game, it's complete easy mode. If I want an easier time in solo queue, I'll pick strong perks. I know a lot of people complain about the solo queue, but I think it's just because they are spoiled from running SWFs and can't read what other players are going to do without the voice comms helping. The majority of players I play with in solo queue red ranks, with crossplay enabled, pull their weight and the matches are actually enjoyable.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,053
    Options
  • HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

A communication wheel. With phrases like I'm on a gen , killer is on me, I did a totem, killer is camping etc

• AggressiveFTW
    edited November 2020
    Options

Yes, but the question is, how many people would actually use it each game? I think it would be one of those features that everyone has forgot about.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

Why wouldn't they use it? It seems like it would be extremely helpful for solo

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

Say one game that has quick chat where players actually use it often in a match.

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

Seriously dude? You couldn't even name one game which most gamers have heard of.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited November 2020
    Options

Some form of expansion of the current Survivor UI (for Survivors only) that lets Survivors have a general idea of what other Survivors are doing. More icons like generator to indicate repairing, totem to indicate cleansing, some other icon to indicate being in a chase, etc. etc.

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 540
    Options

Totem counter

Kindred basekit

We'll make it - show aura of survivor unhooked & unhooker to each other for 30 seconds after unhook.

Show other survivors perks & carried items in pre-game lobby.

Ability to deposit carried item into empty chest.

Ability to requeue with the same survivors in post-game lobby.

Props score - When giving Props in the end-game lobby, have it tally up (one props per DBD account so not abusable by SWF), then display this score on pre-game lobbies

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

That is the exact thing that I want. Something that looks similar to the generator indicator.

• dspaceman20
    Options

You said name a game with quick chat where people use it often, I did. The fact that not a lot of people play or its not popular is irrelevant.

It seems like you really don't want a quick-chat. why not?

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

Because using quick chat will waste survivors time. Why not use TAG's idea?

• dspaceman20
    Options

I feel the survivors would just use a wheel with phrases to talk to. Just hold a button and use the joystick to select the phrase. That shouldn't be too hard.

Also what is TAGs?

• AggressiveFTW
    edited November 2020
    Options

I know how it would work. TAG is a forum member. Look a little bit upwards in the thread.

• dspaceman20
    Options

Ok I understand but don't certain perks already do what TAG is describing? Also I'm concerned about it being overpowered, I don't want a system thats on par with swf. (Dispute being a survivor main im concerned with balancing the game for both sides)

• AggressiveFTW
    edited November 2020
    Options

I understand that you're concerned with it being OP. But I am 100% that it will not be on a SWF level. They might have to buff weaker killers such as Wraith, Trapper, Pig and others. Also which perks were you thinking of?

• carnage4u
    carnage4u Member Posts: 338
    Options

Quick chat would be the worst thing for the game. As stated in the quote, it would be a used for swearing at each other, cursing, racial slurs and in 1 in 100 games something relevant to the game.

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

I'm against quick chat as well, however the quick chat would 100% be quotes made by the devs and not quotes you can make on your own.

• dspaceman20
    Options

Let me rephrase I mean that a system like this could od the job of other perks. Bond and empathy can help you know when a survivor is being chased or doing a totem. Perks like technician, visionary and better together lets you know when someone is doing a generator, where to find them and hear them. This system could cause a further decrease in those perks which could also cause a potential increase in the use of meta perks.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274
    Options

I'd like for more perks to get what I've been calling the "Kindred Treatment"; ie, the entire team could potentially get info from a perk (without comms) because one player was running it. Open Handed, Better Together, and Aftercare are a few perks that already do this to some degree and there are others which could be excellent recipients of this kind of "shareable utility" (like Buckle Up and Visionary).

• AggressiveFTW
    Options

Those perks you mentioned aren't even used that often, so how would it hurt having survivors actions revealed to other survivors? SWF has all of that information for free, but not solo queue survivors.

• AggressiveFTW
    edited November 2020
    Options

I don't play that game personally, I do however think that you are right about that one.

Post edited by AggressiveFTW on
  • TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,395
    Options

Aura reading is only too strong against bad survivors who cant last in a chase. This game is not really a hiding horror game, otherwise you wouldnt have so many ressources when the killer found you. Stealth is only a part of the game. And you can counter most aura reading.

• TicTac
    Options

The problem is its easier to balance when you give Solo an SWF the same tools.

When you balance with nerfing swf then you get something like 20% less repair speed for this information? Its complicated and a mess to balance. Then you have the problem that free information has an different impact on a good player swf then one bad players.

Rating every advantage swf has and calculating a fair downside is a balancing nightmare.

• TicTac
    Options

A ping system like Apex would be great.

Maybe it will destroy the atmosphere a little bit, but after 100 hours nobody is scared anymore anyway.

Splitting matchmaking is not a good idea. You dont want to balance everything twice and it would increase matchmaking time.

• Mr_Slick546
    Mr_Slick546 Member Posts: 117
    Options

You think DBD is hide and seek? LMAO, just another useless survivor crouching around instead of doing gens, thinking this game is a marathon when in reality it's a sprint. The longer the game goes on the more favored it becomes for the killer, I hope I never have you as a survivor teammate.

• Zayn
    Zayn Member Posts: 365
    Options

At least a totem counter.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752
    Options

As someone who plays both sides, All of this info is freely known by SWF

the key is to bridge solo and swfs

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

There’s already a wealth of information perks any survivor can choose to equip if they want.

I quite regularly run bond, open handed, visionary, and windows of opportunity because of just how much information it provides, and how useful I can still be to other survivors.

Despite not running any of the meta perks, I can’t regularly outlast the other survivors running their DS, BT, and exhaustion perks.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options

Sounds about right. I would also add an emote of some sort or other means for the hooked survivors to signal unequivocally 'I'm being camped'.

• TimeOutTimmy
    TimeOutTimmy Member Posts: 135
    Options

Balancing swf with solo q will never happen. Even if you took comms out of the equation, people will instinctively help someone they know and can tolerate. You can't base kit balance that.

As an example... I play solo, but run into the same survivor(s) multiple times a session. We all play solo, but can coordinate and play like a swf. We don't need comms to be effective.

We need a better ranking system, not base kit add-ons.

• GingerBeard
    GingerBeard Member Posts: 271
    edited November 2020
    Options

I don't want to give solo survivors too much info as I do think that would ruin the experience for me. That said we do need to close the gap between solos and swf somehow, and there are three things I think I would be fine with.

1. Part of Kindred being baseline. I don't want the survivor auras, but just the killer aura. Even then, maybe only have the killer's aura show if they remain within 16m after x seconds. Camping is way more effective than it should be versus solos than swf due to reasons most should know by now.
    2. Not a totem counter exactly, but another suggestion I heard where there is a subtle sound que whenever a dull totem is broken.
    3. @TAG already said this idea, but I just want an icon to indicate a survivor is on a gen at the very least. I'm not sure if having more icons for other actions would be too much or not, but a totem icon wouldn't be needed if the 2nd suggestion is added.
  • Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

Ive come to hate the common opinion that comms somehow magically generate information. It often leads to the equally common idea to spoonfeed survivors with every info imaginable in the UI.

Can comms tell you, without any input of any survivor, what is happening? Comms are for relaying info, not generating it.

A basic message system or chatwheel would be similiar to comms without buffing cwf groups too. (IdV has like 4 messages and "do gens" or "i need healing" are already all thats needed lol)

Completely removing uncertainity from survs will be brokenly overpowered.

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 568
    Options

Kindred being base kit for solo players is probably the only change I would make aside from better matchmaking. Being able to see if the killer is camping without voice chat so that you can punish them by doing gens is huge. And knowing if any of your other teammates are going for the unhook too.

No amount of information is going to ever matter if your team is always filled with the Urban Evasion + Spine Chill + Self Care potatoes that you get currently.

• Ryan489x
    Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,447
    Options

The only thing I would change would be a hook count indicator. I've seen it on official streams keeping track of how many times the survivors had been hooked. but it was just an overlay for the stream not in game.

it would be cool to know oh this person is on death hook. so you know why people may not rush in to help you.

• Trwth
    Trwth Member Posts: 921
    Options

An in-game communication system similar to likes of Identity V. Also add the ability to see your teammates’ perks before the match starts. Both of these would make the game feel less like I’m playing with AI.

...but I still want bots for DCing teammates.

• NoObzBoiYT
    NoObzBoiYT Member Posts: 198
    Options

Bond,Kindred,Detectives hunch and perk of your choice. Easy

• Tubby_Squirrel
    Tubby_Squirrel Member Posts: 244
    Options

lol you didn't expect them to be able to answer you so you change the parameters of the request? That seems unfair. Also the old 'If I havn't heard of obviously the majortiy of people haven't' weak as cardboard comeback? REALLY? Come on man, resorting to that makes you look desperate. Almost like you have no counter argument.

• Halbix
    Halbix Member Posts: 42
    Options

BBQ might be taking it a bit far, Kindred is a toss up imo