Stop with the hook entitlement

Options

I play solo survivor and I just don't understand. Where does it state you are guaranteed more than one hook? I was under the impression that you only get 1 and your few attempts to escape it. Anything more than this is due to other survivors playing smart or making a trade in your benefit. If you die on 1st hook, I get that it bruises the ego, but that shows your evasion and stealth skills need more work. The title of "Killer" should explain enough not to expect any handouts and if your not swf don't think a stranger will risk it outside of the BP granted. Everybody gets 1, anything more are chances given and not to be expected.

Killers keep up the killing without mercy.

Comments

• Terro
    Terro Member Posts: 1,171
    Options

There's a difference between there being a massive risk to some1 doing the unhooking so they don't go for it and your team just being idiots.

• Babatom
    Babatom Member Posts: 23
    Options

You're obviously under no obligation to go for unhooks, but 9 times out of 10, leaving someone to die on first hook will heavily shift the game to the killer's advantage. You have more chance of winning 4 against 1 than 3 against 1.

This game has a plethora of killer perks and killer powers that show it is designed to prevent you from staying stealthed and evasive: Killer instinct, aura reading, noise notifications, volume increase perks, scream perks, etc. It also has perks and powers to prevent long chases once the survivor has been found. The game is designed for you to get caught, so I find the implication that anyone who gets hooked just needs to work on their stealth and evasion kinda dumb.

If you're getting flamed for leaving people on hook when you could safely rescue them, they're likely flaming you for a poor team decision. Survivors do better when they look out for each other and work as a team, hence the huge issue people have with SWF 4-stack groups. Though if someone gets hooked later into the game when people are already dead, dying on first hook is pretty common and that person probably should have actually been less stealthy to take some heat off their teammates.

• Felnex
    Felnex Member Posts: 334
    Options

boooooooooooring

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

At top level, survivors are much better at taking hits for each other.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

So, is this defending leaving teammates to die out of spite, facecamping, or just telling off those survivors that want 12-hook trials?

• Withered8
    Withered8 Member Posts: 1,235
    edited December 2020
    Options

There's a difference between having a sulk because you got one or two hooked occasionally and wanting normal games without being forced death or left on hook. Remember the killer's objective isn't so much to kill as it is to please the entity, by getting many hooks. If you're one hooking ppl, sure you're killing them but that's not rlly how the game is meant to be played, and that's the problem. Sure i don't think everygame should be a 12 hook game but I also don't think games should revolve around forcing death, leaving ppl on hook and getting 4hooks but killing everyone.

• Dpooly
    Dpooly Member Posts: 474
    Options

@DemonDaddy What an entitled post, if someone is about to enter struggle phase and sees their team is doing nothing productive, I don't blame em one bit for just ending their match in hopes of finding competent teammates next round.

@TheButcher Killers can act just as entitled, it's just usually in the form of facecamping, hitting people on hook or tunneling because they decided to chase the same person for 4 gens; so enough with the us vs. them, it's truly pathetic...people are people.

Babatom and Withered8 pretty much summed up my thoughts on this thread otherwise but man, this thread just reeks of entitlement, I'm gonna go barf now.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

I play like every hook state is my last because I have no idea if everyone is going to be downed while I'm still hanging or if the killer simply prevents me from being unhooked by staying nearby.

It's why as a survivor and as a killer I find 12 hook games to be depressing and boring.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

Thank you. I’ve been saying similar for years, and it’s great to FINALLY see others form a similar perspective on survivor gameplay.

The loss of a survivors first chase could be their LAST for the match. Far too many survivors play far too recklessly and cocky under the false pretence that they’re 100% guaranteed a certain amount of chances.

No. Your first hook could be game over for you, and that is perfectly within the game rules. If a survivor didn’t do enough to avoid the killer in the first place, that’s on the survivor.

• TheClownIsKing
    Options

This.

I’m pretty anti meta.

My current build at red ranks is Bond, Technician, Visionary, Windows of Opportunity. Most would say that this is a bad build.

But guess what, I almost always outlast all other survivors in my matches, managing to be stealthy YET useful by doing saves, heals, repairs, and totem hunting. In most cases even if I still die, it’s when I’m the last one left and it was my very first hook.

I’ll check my team mates load out, and it’s almost always the same thing: any combination of DS, BT, Unbreakable, Iron Will, Exhaustion Perk. Something about these perks just seems to cloud many survivors judgement by playing far too recklessly.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

Same. As a rank 1 Survivor I mostly run Diversion as my favorite perk. Head On, and Dilverance. The 4th I seriously just take any other perk that is hardly used. I was using Wake Up! like all last week. I beat Fungoose that week too. It's disgusting how broken Survivor is.

• TheClownIsKing
    Options

“This game has a plethora of killer perks and killer powers that show it is designed to prevent you from staying stealthed and evasive: Killer instinct, aura reading, noise notifications, volume increase perks, scream perks, etc. It also has perks and powers to prevent long chases once the survivor has been found. The game is designed for you to get caught, so I find the implication that anyone who gets hooked just needs to work on their stealth and evasion kinda dumb.”

The issue with this reasoning is that the myriad of ways that killers can counter stealth are never 100% ubiquitously prevalent. I.e. abandoning stealth entirely because they killer has ways to SOMETIMES detect survivors is also not a sensible way to play either.

• TheClownIsKing
    Options

I like Wake Up. I’ll often use it in that same build I mentioned instead of Technician.

Wake Up can be a life saver when I’m the last survivor and killer found hatch first, even when the gates are close together.

Plus i just generally love that if I’m in a chase when the last gen pops, or any other distracting/disorienting thing occurs, I still know where to go, and if nobody else has started opening a gate, I’m telling them where to go too.

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699
    Options

I don't agree its not entitlement to be saved so that you don't go into second if its 100% possible, especially if one them being in the game is best for the whole team. Thats just being a stupid teammate. I agree that if you didn't do enough to hide and get away from the killer successfully then that's on the individual survivor but dying on your first hook is all on your teammates.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192
    Options

Unhooking is entitlement now! Shock horror! Now I'll have to get rid of my ambulance build just in case I am labelled an entitlement enabler!! :O

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651
    Options

Technically, they should expect more than one phase on the hook, because if a killer doesn't get something like 9+ hooks at red ranks they blackpip anyways.

• TheClownIsKing
    Options

This isn’t what OP is saying at all.

They’re saying whether a survivor gets another chance or dies first hook is completely out of their hands.

So they’re also suggesting that survivors should play keeping that in mind, instead farting all caution to the wind because the “sUrViVoR rULe bOoK” says a killer absolutely MUST give EVERY survivor 3 hooks.

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,810
    Options

This is a pretty entitled Blendette post.

Stealth and evasion only work well until red ranks. There you need to juggle the killer (take aggro) if you are not for example on death hook and the person they are chasing near you is.

Until then have fun with screwing your teammates because you want to crouch and hide rather than be chased.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options

no?

but when i play survivor i expect to at least be able to play the game instead of getting camped to death on 1st hook at 4 or 5 gens / completely abandoned by my team because no one gives a sh*t about me dying back here.

i dont mind if the killer gets the 4k and i die on my 1st hook because im the last one alive, but especially at the beginning of the game i at least want a chance to participate.