How do you create your killer build

Options
TicTac
TicTac Member Posts: 2,394

Do you look for the best build for a specific killer or do you create a build and decide then which is the best killer for it?

How important is the synergy with the killer power for you? Or perk synergy?

Do you test many possibilities or are you using the same most of the time?

Comments

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089
    Options

I normally look at the killers power and pick my perks from there like clown his anti loop is meh so I run stblf to make up for his down time

He struggles with gen pressuring so pop and surge because if you down someone quickly next to a gen surge instant 8% regression then you can pop another gen and save time or surge a gen someone's on pop that gen instant 33% regression and either bbq to know what gen to pop discordance to get stacks quickly/ info or sloppy to keep your obsession injured

• knight_killer
    knight_killer Member Posts: 54
    Options

bbq & shadowborn then two perks that usually compliment each other

• Cerebral_Harlot
    Cerebral_Harlot Member Posts: 280
    Options

I usually just run what is meta to learn a killer, then rotate out two perks at a time to test out.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528
    Options

I use perks that synergize with themselves, and my power. Take my nurse build for example. Its BBQ, whispers, shadowborn, and nurses. Whispers and BBQ synergize with eachother for obvious reasons, and they also synergize with my power, because nurse's biggest struggle is finding people. Shadowborn is just a QoL perk I can't play without, and nurses, because the second it procs, I can get there in one blink. The perks need to have synergy with eachother, and your power.

• Cerebral_Harlot
    Options

I don't play a lot of nurse cause I have many easier killers to still not be bad at... But may I ask what makes shadowborn such a popular QOL perk on her? Its almost akin to Stridor-spirit, but what does that extra 15° really do for nurse?

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    Options

It fixes most of her fps issues, and just makes playing her a lot smoother. I use shadowborn because it's pretty much necessary to use when you play nurse on ps4. It isn't exactly a strong perk, but if you don't use shadowborn on her than you're making it harder on yourself. It's decently hard to explain, but she's a lot easier to play with shadowborn.

• Cerebral_Harlot
    Options

So... its like stridor-spirit but fir visual issues instead of auditory ones?

• Boddy604
    Boddy604 Member Posts: 183
    Options

I theorycraft what would be best for that killer & their power & try it out.

Then I pay attention to what feels like I'm getting value out of and what feels wasted or not as good as I thought it'd be and tweak it some more.

I thought Tinkerer would be good on Dr cuz of how he controls maps but it's not. He's too slow to get there in time so I switched to Discordance and was immediately like "ohhhh this is way better"

• Rebel_Raven
    Rebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,775
    Options

Bp oriented.

BBQ, distressing, beast of prey, and thrill of the hunt.

I'll deviate based on mood, but it's rare.

Monto would probably have any other build I'd come up with, like "Russian roulette" which is more interesting lately as it consists entirely of hex perks.

• Cerebral_Harlot
    Options

Have you tried repression doc yet? I'm curious how that might play.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,651
    Options

Step 1: How much mobility does a killer have?

If the answer is "lots" or the killer is Pyramid Head, Ruin + Undying

If the answer is not "lots" and the killer isn't Pyramid Head, PGTW+Corrupt

Step 2: BBQ

Step 3: Think of other good perks on that killer. Would I get more value from those perks than the ones I currently have (not applicable for RuinUndying cores)?

For example on Wraith, I start with the PGTW/Corrupt Core. Add in BBQ. Sloppy and Mindbreaker work very well on Wraith, and often times I don't get that much value from Corrupt, so I use Sloppy/PGTW/Mindbreaker/BBQ.

• Boddy604
    Options

I haven't. I run Whispers, Ruin, BBQ, & Discordance. Wouldnt mind trying it but unsure which two of those I'd wanna drop.

• Boddy604
    Options

Whispers 3 guarantees you never waste your AoE.

Unsure where they are atm? Walk around till whispers turns on and that's a guaranteed hit. Chase is on.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    Options

Not really. It's mostly to fix framerate drops that can make you blink slower. It is kind of like stridor spirit though not as shameless, since on console you pretty much need it.

• zoozoom6
    zoozoom6 Member Posts: 825
    edited December 2020
    Options

unless they have a power than can make better use of another info perk i use discordance. for doc and huntress i use bbq as they uniquely benefit from it.

which slowndown perk would i get the most use out of? pop, corrupt, ruin. or do i want to try my luck with a power heavy build? mobility killers benefit more from ruin

are there any synergy builds to use? either with their power or 2 perks that make eachother better?

1.taking sloppy with nurses as a stealth killer is a solid choice.

2. any hex and undying.

3. tinker and any mobility killer.

4.the classic nemesis and pwyf for killers that can one hit like bubba and myers.

5.limited time high power killers like oni or plague with infectious fright are always great.

6.haunted grounds with clown and trapper is the funniest thing ever when they break it the millisecond before you get the first hit.

miscellaneous: M & A on myers is a main stay. shadowborne on nurse is an obvious choice. unrelenting on hag and spirit helps a bunch. zanshin tactics on doc.

special consideration to stbfl. will i be downing people with mostly basic attacks? do i have a way to minimize hitting the obsession? do i have space to bring rancor to do this artificially? 45% reduction in hit cooldown is wayyyyyyyyyy better than you think it is. taking stbfl with demo or hag is a no brainer

or you could just meme it up.

honestly as long as you try new things and try to stay away from the awful perks you will make some good builds

awful perks:

beast of prey, furtive chase, fire up, monstrous shrine, overwhelming presence, remember me, spies from the shadows, unnerving presence

if you are using these you will disappointed

Post edited by zoozoom6 on
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited December 2020
    Options

At least 1 tracking and 1 slowdown, then usually a perk that synergizes well with the killer I'm playing.

Example, BBQ, Pop, Sloppy, Stridor on Spirit is a very solid build.

EDIT: When coming up with off-meta builds I try to look for what is most conducive to doing whatever it is I want to do. For example, I have many Spirit builds, I'll share my slugging build called Father's Sorrow. It's Infectious Fright, Knockout, Nurse's Calling, Sloppy Butcher, Father's Glasses (where the build name comes from) and Saya (purple phase lunge add-on). All the perks synergize with each other and are conducive to slugging. Infectious let's you down some and immediately find someone else nearby. Knockout buys you some extra time after slugging a guy. Sloppy increases the time needed to heal a slug, even if it's just the last 5%. And Nurse's is a good slugging perk because if you camp the slugs as per the strat with this build then you will be able to keep them slugged and find new targets rapidly. FG helps to track injured survivors and is a hard counter to pretty much every anti-Spirit perk as it just negates the need to hear survivors since you can see exactly where they are (and it synergizes with Sloppy). Saya is probably the "odd man out" here as it's not super conducive to slugging, but it will make it so that you can lunge at survivors healing slugs with Nurse's a lot easier. So everything in the build is to focus on slugging and the strat is just slug slug slug and camps slugs. Name both from the add-on and the fact that slugging is a very sad way to play the game. I just imagine being Rin's father after he killed his family and is stricken by deep sadness for what's he's done, which is how I would feel after slugging every survivor and letting them bleed out.

• Yords
    Yords Member Posts: 5,781
    edited December 2020
    Options

Remember to keep it simple and use perks that you like because of how you like to play.

For example, running brutal strength on doctor and clown is great because above average survivors like to pre-throw pallets against those killers especially. It is also good for aggressive killer builds on killers such as wraith or legion.

What you should know is that the best perks are the perks that give you 2 great benefits which include:

• Finding survivors faster so that you can kill them faster(BBQ, whispers, *any other good tracking perk)
    • Good regression on gens (ruin + undying and PGTW)
  • Timeman63
    Timeman63 Member Posts: 185
    Options

I second this. Along with knowing for certain that my Static Blast will hit someone and always get value out of it, Whispers is a great tracking tool in general, and it has immensely improved my Doctor gameplay.

I'm one of those people that get bored running "The Meta" builds, so I'm much more daring with my builds once I invest enough bloodpoints and earn enough perks for a killer.

For Legion, I sometimes run an exhaustion build (Thanatophobia, Blood Echo, Mindbreaker, and one other perk of my choosing). It may not be the most generally strong build, but it constantly makes exhaustion perks disabled and ensures that Survivors are severely hindered if they decide that staying injured against Legion is a good idea, since Legion excels at generating pressure through the constant need to heal for risk of being snowballed.

For Clown, I actually have a different approach than some players might have. Since Clown's chase ability is already quite strong when used well, I often bring perks that help with tracking in order to make up for some of his weaknesses, rather than enhancing his chase ability (although bringing Save the Best For Last is fun for when you really want to steamroll Survivors). The thing is, if Clown can't find immersed Survivors to start chases with, he is left with nothing, and no amount of chase or lethality perks will help him there.

That's my perspective of things really, bring perks because they work well with a power or playstyle, not just because they're strong on their own.

• gatsby
    gatsby Member Posts: 2,532
    Options

Start with BBQ. If its a bad Killer dump all your perks into gen slowdown. If its a higher tier Killer, still use one or two perks for gen slowdown but you can add in a unique perk specific to them (like Stridor for Spirit, or Nurse's Calling for Ghost Face)

• Boddy604
    Options

We sound similar. I do a lot of unusual stuff. With Survivors too.

But yeah, whispers is almost must have on doctor. Early game you're on them in seconds and with bbq & discordance combined with whispers, you really never let the pressure off at all.

Plus when last gen is popped, you dont need to cycle the doors, you know which one theyre heading to soon as you get close and you know if theyve left for the other too.

• Zaytex
    Zaytex Member Posts: 841
    Options

Depends entirely on the Killer, although in general I'll have 1-2 perks dedicated to regressing generators because it's pretty much a must against decent survivors unless you're Nurse/Spirit.

• Cerebral_Harlot
    Options

Alternatively just meme hard. I'll let you know how oppression/lullaby/unnerving/overcharge doc with calm add-ons goes.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,880
    Options

I start with the strongest Perks when learning/mastering a Killer and then start using Meme Perks which still might work well with said Killer.

• TransverseCaster
    TransverseCaster Member Posts: 543
    Options

I start by taking stall perks and end up making stall builds. Right now I'm running overcharge, pop, oppression, and dragon's grip on my Ghostie and an endgame build on my Trapper using blood warden, remember me, NOED, and also pop to slow the game throughout.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
    Options

I usually think about how I want to approach pressuring the survivors, and what the killers power is.

Or sometimes I just want to experiment how particular perks may work in different builds.

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651
    Options

1. What perks help my killer's power Do they enable or exacerbate the power in a special way?

2. What perks cover my killer's weaknesses?

3. What perks slow survivors down?

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

I go:

what looks like fun to use?

what are the survivors going to make not fun to use and what should I use to replace it?

what's a fun perk on this killer?

what's going to prevent me from just wandering aimlessly when I can't find anyone?

Those four perks are then my build.

• TheButcher
    TheButcher Member Posts: 871
    Options

Information Perk / Regression Perk / Synergy Perk / Free Slot

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628
    Options

You have to look at how certain killers are made and general strategy based on their strengths. Monitor & Abuse is great for stealthy killers (Ghostface, Myers, Pig) while Whispers/BBQ are great location perks in general.

I main Doctor so Static Blast is linked directly to the size of my TR. So Distressing is a great perk to increase TR by 26%!

So Doctor spreads madness which makes skill checks harder so perks that either increase the frequency or difficulty are great. So perks like Overcharge and Oppresion are great.

To round out strategy I don't want to waste time or lose gens while hooking. Whispers is a great locating perk as I said before but now it guarantees a Static Blast hit when active. Once I Static Blast all actions are stoppee for 2.5 seconds. So Static Blast and then picking up a survivor activates Thrilling Tremors to kivk survivors off gens and locks them out for 16 seconds while I transport to the hook.

Hence, my current build of Whispers/Overcharge/Distressing/Thrilling Tremors is created. Once I unlock Oppression I may stop Distressing for Instant skill checks on the damage.

• Dabihwow
    Dabihwow Member Posts: 3,409
    Options

I try to create a decent build with a style I like, for example for The Clown, I use BBq, Stbfl, Brutal, and pop.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833
    edited December 2020
    Options

gen defense and aura reading. it may change the aura reading for other things like chase perks depending on the killer. like hag to run make your choice or save the best for last... but most cases aura and gen defense is what killers need

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814
    Options

I build around the killer.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452
    Options
    • BBQ because I like bp, even if I wouldn't use the perk otherwise on some killers.
    • Corrupt Intervention because it's equip-and-forget. I don't use any other kind of slowdown and if you understand survivor spawns, CI allows you to get in chases early and control the map.
    • The last two perks are whatever I think will work well to employ a particular strat or style.
  • CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210
    Options

Depends the killer

Usually if a killer doesn't have map pressure/isn't generally good, I go with 2 slowdown perks (mostly corrupt and pop or ruin) bbq+ perk of my choice (sometimes stbfl, nurse's, sloppy)

If they have a lot of pressure/ don't need slowdown I just go with tracking.

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001
    Options

Depends on how I play with that killer, if I play huntress, I go no slowdown, bbq, whispers, iron maiden and bitter murmur.

If it's a killer I don't use as often aka wraith, I use slowdowns corrupt + pop and bbq, and a perk of choice.

Basically if I suck with X killer I use a certain build if I don't then no slowdowns unless I'm having a really bad day.