"stop trying to kobe in my face; it's toxic" Forum posts

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781

What is wrong with trying to kobe? Many people do it just for fun because it is you know... funny to yeet yourself off the hook right as someone gets there. In fact, I have witnessed it and performed this many times and so far everyone was chill and goofy about it. "lmao that kobe was perfectly timed noice"

The fact that some people are so spiteful of this that they are willing to let the person on hook go into second stage or die is just plain stupid. You are harming the team more than they were and for what? To let them know that fun is illegal in DBD?

Comments

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Why do people call it this? ######### is the origin of the term "Kobe" as it pertains to jumping off of a hook in Dead by Daylight? Is this related to Kobe Bryant? Is basketball somehow related to Dead by Daylight? Is this just some stupid millennial zoomer thing?

(Also, yeah, people complain about too many things being toxic.)

• Yords

I have no idea why it is called kobeing lol, probably something to do with Kobe Bryant (rip)

• Zayn
    Zayn Member Posts: 365

I don't personally mind much but I can see why it bothers people who want to win. If someone gets off a gen to come get you off the hook and you attempt and get yourself off the hook, it robs them of points and essentially wastes their time which is why I personally don't attempt in a teammates face but if someone does it when I'm the rescuer, I don't care.

• CountVampyr
    CountVampyr Member Posts: 1,050

You can only use Deliverance on your first hook. If I have already saved one person and have it activated then you’re damned right I’m going to use it otherwise it’s a wasted perk. I don’t care if somebody rushed over to save me. They should have been working on a gen for as long as possible for making that attempt.

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,407

More harm is relative. The goal of players is not the same. Escaping. Pip. Bp. Fun. Or nothing of these.

Most want you to teach you a lesson, so you stop doing it. One match lost, but no kobe try in all future games.

• DeliciousFood
    DeliciousFood Member Posts: 464

Run deliverance if you want that achievement so bad. It's even funnier to let you die on hook than you kobe-ing at my face when I bothered to go and get you.

• Yords

Yeah going into second hook trying to kobe though is pretty douchey, but most people aren't doing that. They attempt kobe when they know someone will get there in time for them not to go into second stage. Besides, it is not like survivors have a hard time ranking up at all. Unless they just downloaded the game, survivors who shouldn't be at high ranks (not yammering about them or telling them they are trash at the game and how they don't deserve to be at the red ranks btw) will be at high ranks because of how dumb the mmr system is right now.

As for the perks yeah that might be the only other problem to this as well as wasting the saviors' time to come over for the save. But keep in mind that this is solo queue, NOTHING gets done most of the time anyways so it is not like you are going to throw the game because you can also assume that the killer is not good. Even if the killer was good though, it is still solo queue and you would probably have died regardless.

• keygun
    keygun Member Posts: 311

I love you for this. You should've @ me. I had to find this post on my own.

Very passive aggressive, just because he don't want to admit it's toxic.

• Elena
    Elena Member Posts: 2,187

Nice strawman argument, you're just wasting your time :/

• Yords

It isn't toxic. I didn't even know that this was considered toxic until people started to say so on the forums. In fact, your post wasn't the only post I read about this topic, there were others I have read saying the same kind of thing.

What is toxic is how you throw the match just to teach them a lesson so to speak. Sure, they could miss out on their opportunity to get something like BT activated but is it really that big of a deal (also I am pretty sure no one tries this when the killer is close)? Again, you are throwing the game making you more toxic that the person who either attempted to kobe or kobe'd. In other words, you screw over the other two people because someone tried to be silly and kobe. Compared to the person trying to kobe, I am pretty sure the person who leaves that person to die is far more toxic than the person on the hook. You get way more points doing generators and playing survivor in general.

Will it really ruin your game experience if you miss out on one save with WGLF, WMI, or just in general though? Remember that kobe's are rare and most of the time you will still get your save. People don't attempt this (or at least I don't) because it would obviously be better for a save with the chance of being saved with BT activated. It sounds like the person leaving the hooked person for dead (if they don't kobe) is more selfish because they didn't get what they want one time. People only really try this if they can do it and get away with it, meaning the killer isn't around or the team is in a good spot to be silly.

I say "To let them know that fun is illegal in DBD?" as an exaggeration btw you know just a little joke. But is the fun completely and utterly ruined for the person who wanted to get a save? It shouldn't, but that is what is apparently.

• keygun
    keygun Member Posts: 311

It's MORE toxic to leave them stranded.

Yes, but if this "Kobe in yo face" never happened...

It is immature to argue over, "well you started it!" It's also immature to "be silly"

So, I didn't ruin the game by retaliating, you ruined it by "being silly"

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

who complained about it?

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638

I’ll only attempt to unhook myself if I know the person coming to save me won’t make it on time before I go into second stage.

Otherwise yeah, agreed. It’s funny to see.

But, I can also see why others think it’s a bad idea.

• Terra92
    Terra92 Member Posts: 583

You also have to think, some of these people are about to go into stage 2 anyways, regardless if their friend is about to get them. Might as well try to kobe and maybe get a second hook out of it, instead of sit there mashing F for a couple seconds because your buddy took the longest route to get to you.

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554

Why's everyone so heated about this? It's just a game, it doesn't impact you in real life.

If someone manages to kobe in front of me I don't rage on the forums. I think "get over here and let me heal you ya goober."

It's not toxic, but it is stupid on the hooked persons side to risk going into the struggle phase.

• VaJaybles
    VaJaybles Member Posts: 658

Hahahaha GOOBER! I love it, but same. Or if it's perfectly timed and they jump into my heal. Sharing a moment, you hook dived into my arms ♥️❤️

• Groxiverde
    Groxiverde Member Posts: 767

Honestly if someone kobes in my face I just laugh about it because it happens very rarely, then I proceed to heal the guy and then we run towards a generator. I didn't know it was considered a toxic behaviour until I saw these 2 posts today, and I have 1700 hours in the game.

It seems like I'm a pretty chill guy cuz I've never even remotely thought it could be considered "toxic", lol.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

It's because they had to hold shift and W towards the guy on hook, so they think they're entitled to the unhook points and the wglf stack, and get pissy if they don't get it because the person wiggled of hook by themselves.

Was it a dumb move by the hooked survivor that could've heavily affected their survival? Yes. But is it worth crying on the forums over and condemning people who want to play with a little risk? Absolutely not, it's so childish.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,162

I don't care if someone tries to kobe as long as it'd be a safe unhook. If they succeed it gives them points and there is an achievement. I do find it funny when they obviously weren't paying attention to their timer when they do it and end up going into struggle as I'm running up.

• Mendax
    Mendax Member Posts: 130

You got the same answers as in the thread you mean. When the rescuer is next to you and the killer is gone, all right, kobe is fine. BUT! Please, respect people who run across the map to unhook you and the time they took for you. Please. Think about the consequences.

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
  • Ninety3Percent
    Ninety3Percent Member Posts: 14

Its not millenial at all. People have been yelling KOBE for decades when they throw something, calling your shot, yes due to the Mamba, usually when the shot has little chance to go in.

Kobe-ing has your character reach over their head and attempt to throw themselves off the hook. KOBE. If anything, its the opposite of millenial, people been talking that since the 90s.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122

Kobe is what people used to say before yeet was a thing. Usually for throwing something like a grenade in FPS games but here you're yeeting yourself off the hook.

• Felnex
    Felnex Member Posts: 334
    edited December 2020

One thing is obvious now: You're aware now that you are upsetting others for no logical gain when you attempt/successfully yeet in front of the would-be rescuer's face. You can no longer use personal incredulity or ignorance as an excuse to continue doing this guilt-free. If somebody is coming to save you, don't yeet in their face. It hurts them and you. Just accept that, it'll make the game a nicer place.

• Yords

I usually don't talk like this, so sorry for being more flustered than usual. I was tired yesterday and I feel like I sort of jumped the gun on this whole kobe thing. Didn't really think things through.

But yes, I can see why people are upset by kobeing in the face of others. I have done this many times and had it happen to me many times as well. I may personally don't care about this, but others feel differently. I was confused yesterday because I was reading one too many posts about how toxic kobeing is because they were becoming a bit more popular of a topic so I immediately made a post asking why people are getting upset over it. I will be more conservative when it comes to the kobe mechanic and more thoughtful of others when I attempt to do it.

• Yords

Different people on the forums. Over the course of a few days I saw some posts about the same topic.