What if Dead by Daylight had competition?

Yords
Yords Member Posts: 5,781

I mean like a game that is very similar to dbd in the horror kind of aspect. Seriously, I don't think BHVR realizes how good of a spot they reside in a business sense. You had games like F13, or that Chinese dbd about a year ago?? (idk about this one, might have just been a clone) But all these games have just... ehhh died I guess? If not dead, then definitely not played as much.

Dead by daylight is BHVR's biggest game for sure, but what if they had some competition with another similar game? I don't know something like Dead before Dawn or whatever. If BHVR had to compete with another game like itself that was actually intimidatingly successful, would they be pressure to actually make good changes to dbd?

Dead by daylight is a very unique game, there are others that have tried to imitate it or be similar to it, but have failed. BHVR has literally no competition and I believe that is one of the reasons why they are a bit lazy when it comes to the game health-wize.

Also, I heard that they rebuilt dbd mobile from scratch, is this true? Because if so, why wouldn't they do that for dbd? Just some rumor I heard.

Comments

• Yords

True, but that sounds good for us though. They would suddenly come out with good changes to the game to keep up with their competitor which means they would actually fix the game. But then again, this is unlikely to happen.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

Yep,a ton of games already failed unfortunately.

We just have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

Pffffft, an asymmetrical horror survival 5 player play-with-your-friends competitor with just as much impact on the community as dead by daylight? I know it sounds sarcastic. but its impossible for a competitor to come in. Every BIG horror name has already sold out to dbd. I imagine in the contract it says something like, "You can only sell out to our game."

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

to be fair, they had competition.

its just that DbD beat all of them relatively easily (Friday the 13th or LY:TN to name a few)

• chieften333
    chieften333 Member Posts: 1,554

Amen to that, let's hope they get decent competition.

• Yords

Exactly, and they still hardly give the game the love it needs and could definitely use. I am telling you this game could be in the top ten most played games on steam (it already almost is and got really close at one point) and become a very popular game. It just need rebalancing, a little new content (such as new mechanics in game for one), and some creative aspects to it and you got a game that is amazing. But that is all stuff that will happen over time if at all. They just started to work on clown and wraith to buff them. But at least they are finally doing it.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

I mean, they are starting to give the game more love with the new graphics overhaul, but other than that the game seems to be not declining, but its definitely not in the best shape it could, especially with the "push out on all devices and leave it at that." (Console Blight)

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

There have been several games that have tried to compete against this, but most, if not all, have floundered.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

Last Year and Hide or Die have actually complete different core gameplay than DbD. They share setting and the assymetrical approach, but it didn't have a gameplay loop that worked well enought compared to DbD. The actual direct competitors were Identity V and Souls at Stake technically. The first one started too much as a blant copy and was too mobile focused. The second had worse Graphics and was called chinese Copy way too quick, even though they did their own spin of DbDs core gameplay.

Also Souls at Stake and Last Year weren't handled much worse than DbD.

I can remember, that it was back in 2018 I believe, that DbD was called one of the most interesting games by Japanese devs, I think. Or something like that. That gave me hope that we might see an interesting competitor in the future. I still hope somebody takes inspiration and closer look to the game, because DbD kinda found a formula for asymmetrical gameplay that works. Would be a shame, if it would be the only one.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

There were numerous competitors and all kinda failed. Like it or not, DbD proved to be the most successful one.

• NomiNomad
    NomiNomad Member Posts: 3,178

While they weren't exactly the same (if they shared to many gameplay traits, it'd probably be called a DbD rip-off) they were still asymmetrical, horror themed, multiplayer games.

I remember when the trailer for Last Year was first shown, it was called the DbD killer by someone in the comments. Clearly, it didn't work out that way.

I fully believe DbD could use some healthy competition, but it's the giant in the genre right now. It probably won't get any, unless the game is very interesting.

• Mozzie
    Mozzie Member Posts: 618

Competition drives innovation, this has always been true. They would actually need to listen to us(collectively) a hell of a lot more if there was stiffer competition. Shame that last year game didn't take off.

• Yords

Yeah I see, but this is only if dbd actually gets competition.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

I honestly wouldn't call it too giant. It's more of a big fish in a small pond. Funny thing is, if DbD would be more succesfull, we would have gotten more competition actually. It's kinda funny that DbD while beeing big but succesfull is not strong enough to start a Trend in the industry.

That's probably what also puts them in such a comfortable position.

PS: If I remember correctly Last Year was heavily inspired by L4D2's Versus Mode. Kinda funny it wasn't called a rip-off of that one. Probably even the reason, why it didn't work, considering that that mode was designed with a 4vs.4 scenario in mind.

• Pizzaman
    Pizzaman Member Posts: 500
  • brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

Don't you think it might mean something that every assymetrical horror game that has tried, other than DBD, has failed? Don't you think maybe, just maybe, Bhvr has a decent idea of what they're doing? People don't play DBD for thousands of hours simply because it doesn't have a decent competitor. They play it because they enjoy it. I know this is hard for some people on this forum to comprehend, though

• Bloodpoint
    Bloodpoint Member Posts: 2

Well, BHVR had collaborated with Netease to create Identity V. I wouldn’t say ID5 is more successful than DBD, though due to its child-friendly aesthetics, it has a higher audience.

• If there was a game at least as good as DBD and also started getting licensed characters.

DBD would be dead within 6 months.

We put up with a lot of things because there is no game like it currently, and nothing filling in this niche that is supported as actively as DBD is. So despite the awful bugs, the ludicrous grind, the toxicity amongst the community members- we endure it all because we still enjoy this kind of game and it's material.

We all want something better, but until then this is what we got.

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636
    edited December 2020

DbD had competition e.g. Predator, Resident Evil, Friday the 13th etc. All of them had potential, but DbD grew better and stronger.

imo if Turtle Rock Studios continued to develop Evolve, it could of been a strong contender.

• Evolve is a 1000 times better game; apart from it's matchmaker, which was as bad as DBDs is.

Most of its problems were caused from the start, once the stigma hits a game and destroys a launch it's near impossible to recover from that.

However, the way they burned everyone with stage 2 content being permanently lost forever and not making any of it work offline, is borderline unforgivable in my book. I doubt I'll buy Back 4 Blood or any game they make again because of that, 2ks fault or not they let that happen, they had time people begged them earlier and they told them no.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Well that would be good for the players and the games health. You always do better when there is pressure on doing so, just like a football player who knows there is a guy on the bench that is really good and just waits for you to perform a bit worse so he can take your place.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

Then they would finally listen to community and gives some update for the poor Legion and their amazing 4 seconds stun.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

First of, the games you listed were the competition. They just did get stomped.

Second, try to find 10 people from both sides that agree how the game should look like and how it should be done.

I think there are a lot of different opinions what changes would be for the better of the game, as you hear complains about every change made so far, while most of them WERE better for the game (aside from the ruin-change i guess that could still be argued about in my opinion).

• Felnex
    Felnex Member Posts: 334

Competition is always healthy. When there is none, things get stagnant and lazy.

All I'm thinking of is Phasmophobia is way more fun than DBD. Imagine if it were made by more people instead of 1 insanely talented developer! Look at the garbage broken patches BHVR releases with 600 people, compare it to Phasmophobia's creative and unique gameplay.

They are slightly different games (DBD is people vs. people= very toxic, Phasmophobia is cooperative) but I think they're similar enough to compare. If you haven't already, check out Phasmophobia, if you like DBD at all it'll be worth checking out.

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319

yep 2+ good games instead of imba half-arsed game that constantly shifts which side is broken everyt ime new dlc comes or they decided to finally touch something and overdo it

• SocialDistomancy
    SocialDistomancy Member Posts: 1,319
    edited December 2020

last year was far from perfect itself, I had it ont he discord launch and played it for about a couple weeks, the main problem with that game was once people figured out how to constantly tazer the killer and when the devs did some patche speople didn't like and then left the game abandoned in that state until steam a year later when as far as know they probably did the same thing to it over again. theyw eren'tt alking to people on discord after a while, and I heard were even banning people for complaints about the state they left the game in and the lack of communication from them. or maybe it was the discord mods doing the banning, not sure if those were actual devs that were all mods or if any were to be fair. but the lack of communication and the state it was left in were what burnt peoples' interest from my take on it. It was prettyf unt he first few nights though if you found a fun lobby and stayed in it. not too many lobbies seemed to be available though, not sure how many people played it when it first came out.

• seki23
    seki23 Member Posts: 833
    edited December 2020

would need balance wich this game doesnt have at all. so forget about This casual game having competitive (oficial) scene.

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,048

phas is literally nothing like DBD man. completely different games.

• XXXPrinnyGodXXX
    XXXPrinnyGodXXX Member Posts: 31

I would hope the competition would make a better game. This game is fun but is so broken across the board. Killers being completely uneven, perks going from unusable trash to completly OP, Grindy system with less than stellar rewards, Pay walled items for a paid game. Every surv being the same if you have the same perks makes them just pallet swap. Whole game needs a overhaul.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,164

I wish they had actual competition to push them to be better. The whole "these games were competition and they beat them" is not good, it just makes BHVR think that their current practice of "passing it on/looking into it" and pushing out buggy messes is OK. They need a game that is actual competition where neither is "beating" the other but rather pushing eachother to keep putting out a quality product and put plenty of resources into game health to clear up and prevent bugs as well as optimize the older platforms/low end pcs.

• Felnex

Nah, they're both horror games, up to 4 investigators/survivors, there's a killer/ghost.

I admit that the gameplay is very different (for the better) but saying they're completely different is wrong

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

one game is PVE while the other is PVP. That right there is a huge difference.

• Felnex

Congratulations on spotting a difference. Now, if you feel up to it, spot the difference between the following words: similar / identical

take your time

• shyguyy
    shyguyy Member Posts: 298

"What if Dead By Daylight had competition?"

I ask myself this every time I play killer. Getting real tired of feeling bad for survivors and giving last person hatch each game.

:^)

• Shirokinukatsukami
    Shirokinukatsukami Member Posts: 1,624

There was also the Chinese one, F13 the mobile one something-5. And there was also one that had a name that had something to do with sound. As well as this kiddie one wiht a pumpkin villain. I can't even remember their names. None of them made it big and all of them are pretty much dead. The Chinese one was the most DBD-clone like.

• Saltjar34
    Saltjar34 Member Posts: 766

Dark Deception is pretty close. I mean, they got Monstrum and Yandere Simulator there as well as a single player campaign. Is that good?