How does matchmaking work?

I've always wondered.. I don't play killer much, but even as survivor when I was in early ranks, I'd get red rank killers when all of the survivors were brown/green. Do things get messy if there aren't enough of one or another online in the queue?

Comments

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

It doesn't x2

I get match making like that as a killer too. I'm 16-18, just playing for challenges, and I get at least purple ranks in every game. Usually SWFs.

• IndianaDadGuy
    IndianaDadGuy Member Posts: 32

Yea.. I kinda figured, but I hoped I was just missing the algorithm or something.

My last match on killer, after that one, i had 3 purple and 1 red rank.

Survivor match after (at rank 7) got a rank 17 killer, and everyone else was purple/green.

Lol. But seriously. I feel bad when I get baby killers, I'll usually let them get some hooks.. sacrifice if I don't have an "Escape <insert condition>" challenge going. Same on killer.. I don't play it often, but I play well enough that I feel bad killing new survivors and spoiling the game for them (I know, it'll happen.. just don't wanna rush it lol)

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

match making takes the central number, usually the killer's rank and populates the lobby with people that are plus or minus 6 ranks from the killer. now if you encounter a swf (group of friends) it supposedly takes the average of the people in the swf so two rank 1's and two rank 20's end up with the average of 9 for example. now if either side takes a while for a match up the system then starts changing the match window by increasing the size of it till a match can be found. what that wait time frame is no one has said though.

• aGoodOldRub
    aGoodOldRub Member Posts: 267
    edited December 2020

I think they disabled it again few months back? it was pretty useless and literally old system was better. They will come up with an improved one when it is ready, have hope. That picture seems like a swf with a rank 4 dude in there and newbies as his teammates.

• The "Matchmaker" and ranking system in this game, is the single and colossal monument to the actual ability of BHVR and the core problem with DBD.

Unfortunately the only thing you can do, is what streamers tend to do, is just get so absurdly good that it doesn't matter who you go against anymore. That's it. That's the ONLY thing you can do.

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306

Questionably.

Rank 11 Ghostface and every single one of my matches tonight was against babeys who really weren't ready for what I was bringing.

Like, almost all of 'em were rank 15-20. There were like, three red ranks, but they really weren't much better.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    edited December 2020

I don't know ######### is happening, but tonight has been VERY rough as solo survivor for me. I'm the ONLY one going for saves, doing gens, meanwhile my team mates are doing absolutely NOTHING. I end up giving up on my first hook because minutes go by with nothing being done. In the end results I check ranks and they are so mixed it's insane. The killers know what they're doing meanwhile my team mates are acting like they're brand new to the game. It's so frustrating.

It honestly feels like when they turned on MMR.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I beleive they reverted SWF matchmaking back to the original behaviour so you are now matched with the LOWEST rank SWF survivor to improve lobby times. If I jump into a red rank SWF with my rank 16 survivor, we get rank 14-16 killers. If I don't joing the SWF, they get rank 1-7 killers.

• Freki
    Freki Member Posts: 1,903

the original matchmaking with SWF was the average of the participants in the SWF. they moved to put the matchmaking to the lowest (better) rank person in the group and that broke the system and this was in late 2019 i believe. this broke matchmaking and it was a wild west smorgasbord of just throwing people together. it was reverted back to the average that had ruled dbd since before I started playing in 2018 October. the MMR was put into play and it caused problems for the majority of players and didn't function as intended (devs admitted this) and they reverted that change back.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

From my understanding, it first looks for people of similar rank. If it can't find any it expands the range. Due to several issues there's just not enough people of equal rank. (Also the ranking system itself is crap) If someone is waiting long enough the MM will toss out all logic+fairness and throw the first person available into a match.